• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Now time to slink back into the shadows like a certain press secretary^^

Thanks for clearing things up! Now to RunRampantMakingMuiMuiPixels! One one hand... Chizuru! On the other... no crazy legal battles!

SNK: KOF - Past, present and future (Full Conference)

ATRyoSakazaki has uploaded the entire Chinese conference. They sure didn't spare any expenses it looks like.

Bro... so good O_O

Will have to watch and wish for subtitles sometime! ;-)
And... "VEEEERRRRSSSSEEEEE!" I swear he's actually a Pokémon, and has a thing about saying his own name.

I wanna see XIV Mai alongside DOA5LR Mai! *ahem* Kinda funny how this happens right before the PC version, rather than right after.

We're eventually going to see the XIV characters in DOA's pole dances at this rate, eh... First one will be... Chin. Then Chang. Oh, the nightmare fuel... (especially since I think they'd have a harder time getting their bones to fit animations as well.)

Loona

KOFXIV Models modded into DOA5:LR:

I shouldn't be surprised that Alice's t-shirt seems to be a sort of removable layer in her model (I'm probably using the wrong terminology here...) - still, I hope that if she eventually gets a DLC outfit it involves giving her pants or longer shorts, instead of going for that bikini look or similar.

I just really like the idea of her as a product of South Town, so to speak, that reflecting on her name, which hints at some Japanese ancestry despite appearing to have some northern european ancestry (South Town has been depicted as a pretty multicultural place in the games), not to mention her moves based on several characters from there - so it'd be nice to see her fanservicy aspects of her deemphasized for something more practical that would do justice to the martial arts mecca her city tends to be in SNK's games.

Heck, I'd settle for a "I <3 ST" t-shirt on her, although jeans and protections for her fists would be nice too.

Futaleufu

I shouldn't be surprised that Alice's t-shirt seems to be a sort of removable layer in her model (I'm probably using the wrong terminology here...) - still, I hope that if she eventually gets a DLC outfit it involves giving her pants or longer shorts, instead of going for that bikini look or similar.

I just really like the idea of her as a product of South Town, so to speak, that reflecting on her name, which hints at some Japanese ancestry despite appearing to have some northern european ancestry (South Town has been depicted as a pretty multicultural place in the games), not to mention her moves based on several characters from there - so it'd be nice to see her fanservicy aspects of her deemphasized for something more practical that would do justice to the martial arts mecca her city tends to be in SNK's games.

Heck, I'd settle for a "I <3 ST" t-shirt on her, although jeans and protections for her fists would be nice too.

Her name used to be Alice Bogard. I don't know if they retconned that or SNK is pulling a Hugo/Andore here.

BadWolf

Looks like another hype tournament is happening this weekend in China. Xiaohai, Dakou, M', Kindevu etc. will be there.

It's great to see M' start travelling before Evo. Hopefully he will make it further in top 8 this time.

Not sure if ET is going but I'd really like to see another runback between him and Xiaohai. He sent Xiaohai to losers last time and was one round away from winning the grand finals against him as well. In the end he basically lost to Iori and Xiaohai's excellent reactions/anti-airs.

Point Dino is dumb but damn if that guy didn't use him well.

Funny thing is that both the players who main him in tournaments (Karn from Canada and KOG from Japan) prefer to usually use him on point.

Funny thing is that both the players who main him in tournaments (Karn from Canada and KOG from Japan) prefer to usually use him on point.

I've seen KOG Dino and for a guy nicknamed "king of Grapplers" he's nothing special with Dino. Karn puts more work with him but I haven't seen him using it of late. Personally I think InfernoKong is the best Dino player at the moment, The stuff he pulled during Hypespotting was wonderful.

And speaking of wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5ovol8arQ

Ironic that who might be the best Angel player goes by the name of Kula.

Amedo310

I'm going try to try to run this on my Nvidia 1gb video laptops (Both are good in the gpu and ram department) and pass the word for those who have above toaster pcs. I'll be able do one by tomorrow.

Anyone having trouble getting their TE2 to run with the closed beta? For some reason it was recognizing the LS setting for the stick until I went to training mode character select.

edit: now it's working. I had to exit the game then start it again. It does not recognize some of the buttons on the right side of the stick when I go to button config and set buttons. So I am leaving off the play function for training mode.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Game runs great on my rig, which is expected. Eager to try it on my surface and gpd win next.

I keep getting kicked from player rooms though. There seems to be a lot of connection issues at the moment.

Lyte Edge

Played a bunch of online matches with Cloudius. The beta kept freezing up at various points or one of us would lose the connection, but when it worked...it was like playing local 2P for 98% of the time. Seems like this could be better online than the PS4 version, which wouldn't surprise me since I find most SNK releases play better online on PC. But they need to get these freezing issues ironed out, stat.

Also am reminded of how much I HATE how lobbies get closed when the host leaves. I wish they'd change it so it changes hosts.

Played a bunch of online matches with Cloudius. The beta kept freezing up at various points or one of us would lose the connection, but when it worked...it was like playing local 2P for 98% of the time. Seems like this could be better online than the PS4 version, which wouldn't surprise me since I find most SNK releases play better online on PC. But they need to get these freezing issues ironed out, stat.

Also am reminded of how much I HATE how lobbies get closed when the host leaves. I wish they'd change it so it changes hosts.

When it freezes up, is it a hard-freeze or can you still open up the pause menu?

It sounds like a de-sync error and I believe the devs are already aware of the issue and looking for a fix ASAP.

Lyte Edge

When it freezes up, is it a hard-freeze or can you still open up the pause menu?

It sounds like a de-sync error and I believe the devs are already aware of the issue and looking for a fix ASAP.

Hard-freeze. Glad to know they're already working on things.

RM8

I can't believe I'm finally going to give this game a proper try! I really thought it'd never come to PC. So hyped to try Joe, Tung, Kim, Nakoruru, and the Chinese girl with the super cool outfit (not the almost topless one).

lupinko

I forgot how much I liked this game, anyway I bought the characters today. And how is the community still? Should I take the Free Battle rooms into consideration as to gauging the active user base?

Also they need to make the game crossplay.

Lyte Edge

The beta didn't work on my GPD WIN. Crashed on startup. Aw. :(

Next up is to try it on the Surface Pro 4.

BadWolf

Meitenkun's VA voiced the Chinese version of the steam trailer.

I can't believe I'm finally going to give this game a proper try! I really thought it'd never come to PC. So hyped to try Joe, Tung, Kim, Nakoruru, and the Chinese girl with the super cool outfit (not the almost topless one).

...that's a Chinese boy.

I forgot how much I liked this game, anyway I bought the characters today. And how is the community still? Should I take the Free Battle rooms into consideration as to gauging the active user base?

Also they need to make the game crossplay.

Most definitely, I and many other players only play in free battle and don't bother with ranked at all.

The lobby system is so good.

Now this is a SFV I'd play

RI1Wy8E.jpg

RrtD6Cr.jpg

https://twitter.com/ATRyoSakazaki/status/865538181885640705

RM8

...that's a Chinese boy
Nope, it's a woman. I was actually talking about Luong, lol.

Anyway this game is fantastic! KOF still has my favourite gameplay after Street Fighter, runs amazingly on my PC (it likely runs on toasters), has a ton of content, and I generally couldn't be happier with it. I'm feeling Joe and Kim the most so far! I need a third character. Kensou and Ryo are strong candidates so far. I truly can't hold all these awesome fighting games lately, I guess I'm lucky I'm not into Arcsys stuff.

BadWolf

Now this is a SFV I'd play

Imagine how they would gimp her gameplay.

Nope, it's a woman. I was actually talking about Luong, lol.

Anyway this game is fantastic! KOF still has my favourite gameplay after Street Fighter, runs amazingly on my PC (it likely runs on toasters), has a ton of content, and I generally couldn't be happier with it. I'm feeling Joe and Kim the most so far! I need a third character. Kensou and Ryo are strong candidates so far. I truly can't hold all these awesome fighting games lately, I guess I'm lucky I'm not into Arcsys stuff.

Oh lol, Luong is Vietnamese.

Kensou and Ryo are both very strong and fun. One is an excellent zoner and the other great at being in the opponent's face and nullifying their offense.

Both of them have better advanced (DM into EXDM) and climax (DM or EXDM into Climax DM) cancels than Kim and Joe btw.

RM8

Oh lol, Luong is Vietnamese.
This is pretty cool, I don't recall any other Vietnamese character in other fighting games.

Kensou and Ryo are both very strong and fun. One is an excellent zoner and the other great at being in the opponent's face and nullifying their offense.

Both of them have better advanced (DM into EXDM) and climax (DM or EXDM into Climax DM) cancels than Kim and Joe btw.
I'm leaning towards Kensou so far. But I still need to try pretty much everyone, so yeah, lol.

Purchased the beta because there are a lot of cool characters I wanted to try but I feel like this game does a pretty poor job of teaching you how to play it. Especially the character specific trials; there are only 5 each and the combos are either 2 buttons into a special or special into super.

Amedo310

Purchased the beta because there are a lot of cool characters I wanted to try but I feel like this game does a pretty poor job of teaching you how to play it. Especially the character specific trials; there are only 5 each and the combos are either 2 buttons into a special or special into super.

Yeah. It fails hard. Who are you interested in playing? What would like use to regarding learning to play the game? YouTube videos or wikis that explain the general gameplay of KOF games or xiv specific?

If you need experience on how to play in matches, I'm down for fighting anyone on Steam. ID is simsiriphanh. Just send my a friend request and chat me up whenever anyone wants to play. Sometimes I'm busy but asking on steam doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah. It fails hard. Who are you interested in playing? What would like use to regarding learning to play the game? YouTube videos or wikis that explain the general gameplay of KOF games or xiv specific?

For characters its:
  • K'
  • Kukri
  • Hein
  • Vanessa
  • King
As for resources, it doesn't matter to me. The more the better.

Momentary

Banned
So tapping light punch repeatedly does some kind of auto combo into super. How do you turn this off? Or is this a feature of the game?

So tapping light punch repeatedly does some kind of auto combo into super. How do you turn this off? Or is this a feature of the game?

It's basically the auto combo from Persona 4 Arena. You just have to try to not mash standing A, no way to turn it off.

BadWolf

Yo, this Chinese tournament.

So many good matches. Both Kindevu and M' made it to top 8. There was a great Angel player that did a lot of damage.

Second tournament in a row ET sends Xiaohai to losers and again Xiaohai comes all the way back to meet him in grand finals. Went to last match, last round, last time but Xiaohai ended up winning.

This time Xiaohai reset the bracket with two straight wins and it looked like ET was done for but he went back to character select and... picked Daimon. Xiaohai then got owned pretty much.

For characters its:
  • K'
  • Kukri
  • Hein
  • Vanessa
  • King
As for resources, it doesn't matter to me. The more the better.

Intro guide to KOF.

Character video guides.

Character text guides.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The trails are OK at showing you a pretty straight-forward, base-of-concept way to play a character. But yeah, they're not really focused or pushing and strong specific ideals. 5 Trials each for 50+ Characters is a lot overall though, and you do have to play 3 characters per match.

The good thing about KoF is that a lot of it's universal mechanics actually gel well together, and generally keep some type of design consistency. Strong Normal + Command Normal will usually always combo, crouching light attacks chain into each other pretty similarly across the board, rolls and CD attacks are similar between characters in how useful they are, etc.

Similar to Injustice 2, I'd say watching the CPU's duke out battles with your favorite characters can actually he useful, too. They're smart enough to use some combos and strategies that are culled right from the best players at times.

Think of it as an ultimately non-intrusive feature. One of the harder things for me to grasp VS people on GGPO (as little time as I spent with it), was how perfectly some people could link light normals into huge damage. Not only is it just flat easier in this game than something like '98, but the string can just be useful for giving a quick punish to many characters who don't have such an easy job punishing off lights in general.

You'll rarely do the RUSH combo strings by mistake, because most solid light-attack openers involve going between the light punches and kicks, rather than just mashing standing LP. Low light kicks to confirm, a single standing normal to get an easier stick position + a bit more hitstun, and then a special move to finish the combo off.

It's also worth noting the RUSH combo strings all feature unique animations, so they're designed more as part of the game, rather than just a simple-beginner feature. I've fought quite a few opponents online who CAN do much better combos, but often times use them to fill out times where their execution or different timing is poor. Such as using them right after a MAX mode activation, for an easy strong combo off heavy attacks.

What order should I make the team Kyo K' Shun'ei? I wanna make Team KOF HEROES a reality

For me, one thing I like to keep in mind for an Anchor is that they NEED to be able to deal with lame, cheesey BS. People get desperate and sit on the most boring, only-to-win tactics for those last matches, so having someone who can deal with run-away fireball pressure, quick hop cross-ups, and the instant shift in damage from a strong MAX combo is vital for your last position.

I'd like things like Kyo's Cr.C to stop a lot of the jump pressure, his guard-points on his "Bodega's" completely swallow and give advantage to a lot of pokes and general annoyances, far D gives you an excellent tool to take advantage over ranged lows, and his quick Re-Hops into dwn.C catch even the best players by surprise, for somewhat minimal risk. He's great at forcing a match to go HIS way, and he doesn't depend on opponent unfamiliarity with him to win.

I think Shun'Ei is good with early meter. I don't feel he holds up as well VS people that have more options due to them having more ways to punish and reversal, so using him as a early point works nicely with his tools. His normals and tricks are often awkward and work in ways unlike most (like that far CD having the leap-over properties of a move that takes one off the ground, but being cancellable like a grounded one), so he throws off the familiarity of play that many are used to in other matchups. This is great when people can't just, say, Maiden-Masher their way to easy punishes.

And of course, I agree with K' being a solid Middle. Scary to face one who starts off with meter, good close and far tools, and has nice trickery to compliment what was just lost with the fall of Shun'Ei.

Do we have any keyboard warriors on the forum?

We are seeing some posts on the Steam forums that there are issues with the keyboard inputs and that they were better in XIII but when we test on our end it seems exactly the same between both games.

However, none of us really play on keyboard so we might be judging incorrectly.

Not sure if anyone on here can help with this issue, but any input would be helpful!

BadWolf

Do we have any keyboard warriors on the forum?

We are seeing some posts on the Steam forums that there are issues with the keyboard inputs and that they were better in XIII but when we test on our end it seems exactly the same between both games.

However, none of us really play on keyboard so we might be judging incorrectly.

Not sure if anyone on here can help with this issue, but any input would be helpful!

May want to ask Gato Ray on twitter, he mentioned having issues with half circle motions.

Also, one of the users replying to him said:

The input interpreter in XIV is much more strict than XIII.

Top Bottom