• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last guardian is one hell of a frustrating game

It's one of the greats. Probably just behind Bloodborne for my GOTG.

I must say that I love how the boy's animation and control. The boy always run adds to his charaterization imo.
It reminds me of my nephew that is always restless. You know, like a child who can't stay still and keep doing stupid shit and you always worry about.

As for Trico, the animation is top notch. I love its stupid jumping in place animation to death.

The only shortcoming that I find annoying is the magnetic climbing mechanic on Trico. Even then, it didn't detract much of the experience for me.

Other than that, some of the puzzles could maybe have been improved.
For example, the one with throwing the barrel. I didn't have much trouble there, until I got up to the rail and kept throwing it across without avail, when in fact you can just walk across the rail while holding the barrel.
It doesn't make much sense as you will drop down if you walk across without the barrel.

AlucardGV

Banned
I'm not sure I get this comment. Most old video games had very responsive controls.
he probably means that if you have problems at throwing barrels in TLG then you're used to the "press forward and the character does something for you" games

This is mandatory viewing as this video high lights exactly what not to do in almost any situation in TLG and I'd even say Dunkey actually know's how to play the game. He's basically doing the exact opposite of what you want to do in most of these situations presented in the game whether its mashing buttons and commands expecting Trico to respond, let alone correctly, to not using the camera to frame things or ignoring for Trico's body language and vocal cues. This isn't to say there aren't issues or the game is perfect or anything of the sort but to use this video as some kind of example of how the game plays is a little disingenuous. There is a reason this video is full of "frustration" and that's because a lot of those actions and methods being used are not going to work and actively make things more frustrating and annoying.
he has to make videos about something i guess

I think Griss explains it the best when it comes to loving Trico and its AI.
i guess people don't understand how trico "AI" works. there is no need for trico to have an AI because trico is not your enemy and he doesn't have to react to something unpredictable that you may do. trico goes through a set of stages and platforms with you, and they never change. they could have made a nice little robot that immediatly goes to the target and wait for you, but at this point it would be like riding a cart through the game; instead the let him loose for you to give him commands. sometimes you have to give them more than once, it happens. it also help to not give him commands while you're on his neck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
he probably means that if you have problems at throwing barrels in TLG then you're used to the "press forward and the character does something for you" games

he has to make videos about something i guess

That's fine, I like a lot of his stuff and have no issue with the video itself but when its linked as "mandatory viewing" as if this is how the game is all the time for everyone gives a false message and isn't the first time I've seen it linked with a similar statement. The video is made with humor in mind and just wanted to make this known.

El Txou

I absolutely loved this game, but I understand you OP. The game can be very frustrating, I haven't tried the updated camera, but the vanilla camera combined with the unresponsive Trico could take part of the fun away from the game.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I had zero problems from beginning to end. Just be gentle with it. Don't mash commands, don't try too hard. I found it all pretty effortless once you start understanding Trico's movements/behaviours. 95% of the time he either did what I wanted on his own, or I issued one command and waited and he did it.

Only time I was ever frustrated during the game was the cage rolling thing lol.

Just finished that part! Holy shit I dont know how many curses I threw at Trico during this area. he just wouldnt do anything. I read a walkthrough so I knew he is supposed to hit the cage and make you go where you are supposed to, but Goddamn if I didnt need to do everything myself. Dont need to tell you it was incredibly frustrating.

farmerboy

I've always contended that there are 3 beasts as one. The camera, the controls and Trico.

As much as I loved it, I couldn't help but feel that the game would have transcended to the next level had the controls and camera been of a 2017 standard.

silva1991

Controls are decent, camera is ass and AI is frustrating.

Beautifully told story though.

Just finished that part! Holy shit I dont know how many curses I threw at Trico during this area. he just wouldnt do anything. I read a walkthrough so I knew he is supposed to hit the cage and make you go where you are supposed to, but Goddamn if I didnt need to do everything myself. Dont need to tell you it was incredibly frustrating.

Thatw as easily the worst part of the game for me. I don't wanna repaet that cage rolling ever again

Grieves

I didn't really get frustrated with the controls, AI or the camera. The main frustration I had was not knowing what I was supposed to be doing next. Still my GOTY 2016.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished it (well...almost). I gave up at the very end as the game just wouldnt trigger the cutscene where
all other tricos are supposed to attack us
. Fucking bullshit retard of a game. Anyways gave up trying after a while for the cutscene and I really did not have the will or energy to play more anyway.
I wish I had liked the third half as some of you.Anyway I am glad that my misery is over. Will be selling the game now. Have no wish to ever play this abomination again.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I played for two hours and stopped. Camera and control is just unacceptable.

I don't know if I'll ever pick it up again. Almost deleted it for space the other day... Idk... I adore ICO and SotC, but this game is too frustrating for something they had a hundred years to work on.

tsundoku

Every complaint I see about this game seems to actively ignore that Trico has a vision cone he uses when he's at a split path and waiting for a command like grab or jump and that Trico will actively progress forward in the game without being given commands if your camera is locked onto the next goal and he's fed

Aside from trying to go up that chain rope and gigantic cyllindrical area to find food and not realizing the reason it has platforms up-top is because you fall down from there later, I basically walked forward through the entire game and when staring at progress ledges and jumps i'd call Trico over and contemplate for a minute what to do, only to realize I had to jump on him quickly because he was moving on without me because I was already looking at where I wanted him to go.

CHC

Yeah I played it and it was a lovely story, but I'll never play it again.

Like many others, I would classify the whole input experience (camera, controls, responsiveness) as unacceptably bad. It really brought the game down for me. I finished it, but it's not something I would recommend without many caveats.

I absolutely loved the game but I agree that it can be quite frustrating. The camera and controls feel like they wrestle with you a lot. Not enough to ruin the game for me but it had some of those "please just work" moments

ironcreed

Banned
I am actually debating on buying it today for $40. I would kind of hate myself for continuing to skip out on it after the wait. I feel like it's something I need to play.

epmode

The thing that drove me nuts was the way I'd often find myself in combat situations while in a tight hallway, As a result, the awful* camera made it literally impossible to see what was going on for nearly the entire encounter.

Trico is a bit more fiddly than I'd like as well. I was a big fan of SOTC's horse but it often takes Trico several minutes to figure out what to do even if you're pointing him in the right direction. I even had to reload my save a few times because he became fixated on a useless object for ~15 minutes.

*The camera is fine for the light platforming when you're out in the open. It only falls apart when you start getting boxed in.

One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. There's really nothing else like it. I would feel a little emptier if I didn't have the ability to just pop the game disc in and spend time with Toriko.

HStallion

Its a taste thing. I actually enjoyed the boys controls, liked the barrel tossing game, liked the rolling cage puzzle and so on. I don't think that aspect was broken or inconsistent at all and quickly adapted to them. I liken the controls to the old school Prince of Persia games or Out of this World

ironcreed

Banned
I remember when I first played Shadow of the Colossus. I absolutely hated the way it played, but then all of the sudden the fumbling around, feeling puny and Agro feeling like a live horse helped make the game what it was. If it is anything like this, then I can deal with a wonky camera at times.

ICO and SotC are among my all-time favourite games.

But TLG is almost unplayable in this day and age. Hopefully I'll be able to overcome its problems and enjoy it as I enjoyed those two games (and by the way: where the fuck is the hd remaster of both on ps4?).

ICO and SotC are among my all-time favourite games.

But TLG is almost unplayable in this day and age. Hopefully I'll be able to overcome its problems and enjoy it as I enjoyed those two games (and by the way: where the fuck is the hd remaster of both on ps4?).

TLG is not unplayable FFS.

As a work of art, this game is amazing.

As an actual working video game, the game is trash.

It is not trash. What are you talking about? Whats with the hyperbole?

This game gets so much hate. Combined with everyone ignoring Gravity Rush 2... makes me worry for unique and different games that have AAA budgets.

Played on Pro, so had no framerate problems.

I had 4-5 frustrating experiences but ultimately concluded that I was the issue.

I honestly think the game is incredible. Was basically tied with UC4 for my 2016 game of the year.

Its a taste thing. I actually enjoyed the boys controls, liked the barrel tossing game, liked the rolling cage puzzle and so on. I don't think that aspect was broken or inconsistent at all and quickly adapted to them. I liken the controls to the old school Prince of Persia games or Out of this World

Yes, it very much is a taste thing. Not everything should hold your hand, make you feel accomplished after every move, and have you feel in total control.

It takes getting used to, but what did people expect after ICO and SotC?

The only issue I can think of is that Trico doesn't listen sometimes. And even though I'm sure there are some bugs, largely thats the fucking point. He is unpredictable so that you feel relief when you feel like you are on the same wavelength as him.

I cannot fathom someone calling this game trash.. I just cannot. Fuck.

I played for two hours and stopped. Camera and control is just unacceptable.

I don't know if I'll ever pick it up again. Almost deleted it for space the other day... Idk... I adore ICO and SotC, but this game is too frustrating for something they had a hundred years to work on.

You 'adore' ICO and SotC but you can't give this game more than 2 hours? Whats wrong?

You are missing out. This game makes the series an incredible trilogy, each capturing a very unique sentiment and emotion, whilst also feeling like they belong together and make for a greater whole.

Kyuur

I think everyone can agree with camera glitches and some occasional climbing frustration in odd spots on Trico's lower half, but the rest is perfectly fine and suits the game.

Agreed. Hands down the most frustrating game I've played in years. Literally wanted to throw my controller at the screen and I've never wanted to do that towards any game, and that's an achievement my friends.

Gaf confuses me because this game legitimately factually has control and camera issues. I don't think Trico is an issue but he does glitch off every now and then. But the controls and camera? They are legitimately flawed. There is no "intentional" game design. Get that bullshit out of here. That's just bad game design, sorry. When the boy has stuttering movement and gets schizophrenic whenever you attempt something, all the while you're battling the camera 70% of the game while dealing with a giant fucking bird dog that further complicates the camera since it adds even more nonsense, don't tell me the game doesn't have issues. Yes you can tolerate it...but you can tolerate anything in your life if you force yourself. The game legitimately has issues. Please stop trying to deny it. Doesn't mean the game is bad...just, the game is full of charm....but it has issues and is not perfect.

All the team Ico games share their control and camera issues, aka technical issues. All of them hold them back from truly being masterpieces. Shadow is the closest but even then it has its own issues. Guess compared to TLG it's polished as fuck so I'd play that over this again anyday.

I just don't understand where the pandering for this game started when it holds an 80 Metacritic. You know what else holds an 80 Metacritic? FFXV. And Gaf is all up and arms to always shit on that game. Guess what? They're both in the same. Both FFXV and TLG have flaws but are good games yet they hold the same MC, so, logic?

I digress. Point being, This game is touted as some masterpiece when literally nowhere outside of Gaf I've seen anyone even remotely claim that. They all claim it has charm but it has too many technical issues and is a flawed game. Personally, I came off with a 7/10. Nowhere near was it my GOTY and the game pissed me off to no end and I had to force my way through it just to see the ending. It's not a bad game, but it's not a good game. It's a mediocre game.

Agreed. Hands down the most frustrating game I've played in years. Literally wanted to throw my controller at the screen and I've never wanted to do that towards any game, and that's an achievement my friends.

Gaf confuses me because this game legitimately factually has control and camera issues. I don't think Trico is an issue but he does glitch off every now and then. But the controls and camera? They are legitimately flawed. There is no "intentional" game design. Get that bullshit out of here. That's just bad game design, sorry. When the boy has stuttering movement and get schizophrenic whenever you attempt something while you're battling the camera 70% of the game while dealing with a giant fucking bird dog, don't tell me the game doesn't have issues. Yes you can tolerate it...but you can tolerate anything in your life if you force yourself. The game legitimately has issues, stop trying to deny it. Doesn't mean the game is bad, the game is average with charm...but it has issues and is not perfect.

All the team Ico games share their control and camera issues, aka technical issues. All of them hold them back from truly being masterpieces. Shadow is the closest but even then it has it's own issues but compared to TLG, it's polished as fuck.

I just don't understand where the pandering for this game started when it holds an 80 Metacritic. You know what else holds an 80 Metacritic? FFXV. And you're all up and arms to always shit on that game. Guess what? They're both in the same. Both FFXV and TLG have flaws but are good games despite this yet they hold the same MC, so logic?

I digress. Point being, This game is touted as some masterpiece when literally nowhere outside of Gaf I've seen anyone even remotely claim that. They all claim it has charm but it has too many technical issues and is a flawed game.

The Last Guardian has 13 perfect scores, Final Fantasy XV has 3.

The Last Guardian has 13 perfect scores, Final Fantasy XV has 3.

The Last Guardian also has a 40, 50, 50, 55, and at least a dozen 60s. . FFXV has no 40 or 50s, has a few 60s, handful of 70s, and mostly 80s and 90s. That's why they have similar Metacritics.

FFXV has 89 positive reviews, 20 mixed, and no negative reviews.

TLG has 81 positive reviews, 27 mixed, and 1 negative review (40)

Nice try but your logic just got backfired. Even if more people think TLG was a "perfect" experience...even more people thought it was the exact opposite and wasn't a very good game. Where as, when compared to XV the majority thought it was overall a good game. But here it's literally considered God's sin to man.

So again, hypocritical? Why shit on FFXV if TLG is the exact same? Got you.

Sorry, but factually they have similar Metacritics so you're going to have to deal with that. So next time you try to shit on FFXV know that TLG is similar.

Personally, I think FFXV is the better game and that's because I wasn't frustrated and wanted to break my screen 100% of the time. The Last Guardian pissed me off more than any game I can remember since the PS2 days. Never again.

I don't think it was particularly frustrating. Just mostly boring.

When it's good it's great though. But there is a lot of downtime.

When I think back on the game, I think about the atmosphere, the near escapes, how awesome trico is. The finale.

But I also remember the boring puzzles.

Certinty

I gave up half way through. Was frustrating and nothing new was happening. A shame because I love puzzle games too.

Maybe I'll give it another go soon and try and complete the rest in one sitting though, otherwise I sort of wasted my money.

hollomat

Banned
Hate hate hated this game. One of the few games I've ever quit solely out of frustration.

I spent over two hours just trying to get trico to stand on his hind legs in one spot and he kept refusing or standing in the wrong spot. After 30 mins I pulled up a video on YouTube to make sure I was having him do the right thing. Turns out I was and he was just being stubborn. Spent another hour and a half on it, realized I hated every minute of it and traded it in.

HStallion

The Last Guardian also has a 40, 50, 50, 55, and at least a dozen 60s. . FFXV has no 40 or 50s, has a few 60s, handful of 70s, and mostly 80s and 90s. That's why they have similar Metacritics.

Nice try but your logic just got backfired. Even if more people think TLG was a "perfect" experience...even more people thought it was the exact opposite and wasn't a very good game. Where as, when compared to XV the majority thought it was overall a good game. But here it's literally considered God's sin to man.

Sorry, but factually they have similar Metacritics so you're going to have to deal with that. So next time you try to shit on FFXV know that TLG is similar.

Personally, I think FFXV is the better game and that's because I wasn't frustrated and wanted to break my screen 100% of the time. The Last Guardian pissed me off more than any game I can remember since the PS2 days. Never again.

GAF isn't some hive mind for the billionth time.

You claimed no one outside of NeoGAF was touting it as a masterpiece. I showed you that more people have that opinion than the other game you cited, in the media.

rackham

Banned
I regret buying this game at full price at launch. I regret buying it at all. One of the only games I bought at retail and haven't finished.

Axl

I found it frustrating at times but knowing/expecting it to play that way seemed to mitigate my annoyance a great deal. Still very much worth it though. I feel I had the sort of reaction to this game that many people had to Journey.

Top Bottom