• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last guardian is one hell of a frustrating game

You claimed no one outside of NeoGAF was touting it as a masterpiece. I showed you that more people have that opinion than the other game you cited, in the media.

And I proved you wrong. XV reviewed better than TLG. Not only that, outside of Gaf FFXV is also considered the better game over TLG.

So next time someone tries shitting on FFXV, I'm going to use this argument because there is nothing you can use against factual evidence. Anyway, I don't really care. I have both games and I completed both games. One's a mediocre experience. The other is a good experience.

You can choose to do whatever you want. That has no bearing on me and you respectfully have the right to have your own say in it, so I respect your opinion, but I'm just tired of all this shitposting towards FFXV yet at the same time giving devour pandering to TLG when they legitimately have the same scores.

Makes no sense.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And I proved you wrong. XV reviewed better than TLG. Not only that, outside of Gaf FFXV is also considered the better game over TLG.

So next time someone tries shitting on FFXV, I'm going to use this argument because there is nothing you can use against factual evidence. Anyway, I don't really care. I have both games and I completed games. One's a mediocre experience. The other is a good experience.

You can choose to do whatever you want. That has no bearing on me and you respectfully have the right to have your own say in it, so I respect your opinion, but I'm just tired of all this shitposting towards FFXV yet at the same time giving devour pandering to TLG when they legitimately have the same scores.

Makes no sense.

You didn't really. You just seem really pissy that some people like TLG more than FFXV. Its fine if you don't like it but the persecution complex is a little weird.

HStallion

Thank God I watched this video before wasting my money.

https://youtu.be/QvcFRgJwE2k

I wouldn't recommend this experience to my worst enemies.

And I'll quote myself from earlier on this thread about this video:

This is mandatory viewing as this video high lights exactly what not to do in almost any situation in TLG and I'd even say Dunkey actually know's how to play the game. He's basically doing the exact opposite of what you want to do in most of these situations presented in the game whether its mashing buttons and commands expecting Trico to respond, let alone correctly, to not using the camera to frame things or ignoring for Trico's body language and vocal cues. This isn't to say there aren't issues or the game is perfect or anything of the sort but to use this video as some kind of example of how the game plays is a little disingenuous. There is a reason this video is full of "frustration" and that's because a lot of those actions and methods being used are not going to work and actively make things more frustrating and annoying.

I agree with you op, especially anything inolving trico in a tight corridor, but i felt the games emotional resonance and handful of awe inspiring moments made up for some of the technical frustrations i had

You didn't really. You just seem really pissy that some people like TLG more than FFXV. Its fine if you don't like it but the persecution complex is a little weird.

Of course some people will like TLG more than FFXV, that's not my point. My point is people shitting on FFXV while all the while praising TLG, yet they have the same scores, that's being a hypocrite. It's just really funny that people here think like this so that's why I have to mention it and call them out on their bullshit Lol

I'm not talking about you. Actually, I'm not talking about anyone in this thread. I'm talking about specific people who shitpost about XV yet defend this game. He didn't even bring XV up, I did. So I'm not attacking or against anyone here so you need to relax.

But anyway, we're done here. This isn't an argument. I was just trying to make a point.

Later. Take it easy.

It can be frustrating... on the first playthrough, that is.
Once you know what to do you can breeze through the game with little to no problem. Trico is actually very responsive, you just have to know which command suits best the situation you're facing.
As for the boy, the controls do feel a little delayed, and the platforming sections can be an hassle. But nothing too insurmountable.

HStallion

Of course some people will like TLG more than FFXV, that's not my point. My point is people shitting on FFXV while all the while praising TLG, yet they have the same scores, that's being a hypocrite. It's just really funny that people here think like this so that's why I have to mention it and call them out on their bullshit Lol

I'm not talking about you. Actually, I'm not talking about anyone in this thread. I'm talking about specific people who shitpost about XV yet defend this game. He didn't even bring XV up, I did. So I'm not attacking or against anyone here so you need to relax.

But anyway, we're done here. This isn't an argument. I was just trying to make a point.

Later. Take it easy.

I think you should take your own advice and relax. Again the weird persecution complex is off putting to say the least. How about not taking shit posters shit posting to heart and just enjoy your game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to say that I didn't get annoyed all that much during my two playthroughs of the game. The camera isn't ideal, but it's only really an issue in tight spots, like when you're climbing on Trico when he passes trough a narrow hallway. Then the camera goes crazy. There were a couple of times when Trico jumped down instead of up, but otherwise he listened to the commands well, it just takes a while. He's also pretty proactive, in that he often goes the intended way before you see it. Because of Trico's behaviour there's quite a bit of downtime in the game, where you just have to observe what he's going to do. tbh I never grew tired of that, it's an amazingly realized creature. I was more impressed and stunned than frustrated.

When you 'unlock' the different commands, L1+ triangle is the one you need to use most. It's a bit unfortunate that they repeat most commands ad nauseum, except the L1+ face button commands.

I hate it when people complain about The Last Guardian and then remotely like Final Fantasy XV. They're basically the same game thanks to their scores!

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, so polarizing. Time to see for myself, I suppose.

dive-o.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fucking amazing game. Would have been my GotY were it not for Overwatch last year.

Absolute joy to playnand Trico is a fucking maginificent monument to creating video game characters that players will care about.

Some amazing set pieces too, especially when Uncharted 4 wasn't doing it for me, TLG satisfied me with mind blowing setpieces. The story is great too and it looks absolutely gorgeous on a Pro. The sense of scale and draw distance is second to none.

I think you should take your own advice and relax. Again the weird persecution complex is off putting to say the least. How about not taking shit posters shit posting to heart and just enjoy your game.

Seems like you misunderstood my intentions. Maybe it's my fault since I was coming off as aggressive, even if it wasn't intended that way. I don't really care about shitposters, they don't effect me. But it's incredibly obnoxious going into every topic and seeing people shitting on FFXV.

Correlation to TLG they have the same exact MC. So these fools are hypocritical who shit on one game when the other was received pretty much exactly alike. So it's just really funny and hard not to call them out on their bullshit Lol

Neither you nor him were even mentioning XV. I brought it up to make a completely different point but it seems it was misunderstood and I was trying to attack you two. I was not.

Let's end it at that.

Fucking amazing game. Would have been my GotY were it not for Overwatch last year.

Absolute joy to playnand Trico is a fucking maginificent monument to creating video game characters that players will care about.

Some amazing set pieces too, especially when Uncharted 4 wasn't doing it for me, TLG satisfied me with mind blowing gifs. The story is great too and it looks absolutely gorgeous on a Pro. The sense of scale and draw distance is second to none.

Yes, the set pieces, destruction, and intense scenes reminded me of that one level in Uncharted 4, but turned to 11.

Seems like you misunderstood my intentions. Maybe it's my fault since I was coming off as aggressive, even if it wasn't intended that way. I don't really care about shitposters, they don't effect me. But it's incredibly obnoxious going into every topic and seeing people shitting on FFXV.

Correlation to TLG they have the same exact MC. So these fools are hypocritical who shit on one game when the other was received pretty much exactly alike. So it's just really funny and hard not to call them out on their bullshit Lol

Neither you nor him were even mentioning XV. I brought it up to make a completely different point but it seems it was misunderstood and I was trying to attack you two. I was not.

Let's end it at that.

I'm pretty sure everyone figured out none of us brought up FF XV, but that doesn't make it any less weird why you're so butthurt about it specifically compared to The Last Guardian.

Sapientas

Later. Take it easy.

Man, what a mess. So that's your point? Even worse than I thought.

Fitts

Lol... what the hell happened in this thread? Why would anyone care about metacritic that much and what does FFXV have to do with TLG? Why are people taking a Dunkey vid seriously?

This may not have been the thread OP wanted, but it's the one we deserve.

seat

I'm glad to see some shared opinions in this thread about Trico's terrible A.I. The last time I brought it up in a thread on GAF, hardcore TLG fans were falling all over each other to tell me I was wrong, even in the face of me citing specific examples and linking to video evidence. It was either that I didn't finish the game, that I was lying, or that Trico not listening to me was "on me as the player" (WHAT THE FUCK). I didn't even say it was a bad game, just incredibly flawed and a chore to play through, and that it is a disappointment compared to the prior two installments. I understand people what to defend things they like, but some people have their heads so far up their asses that they can eat their lunch multiple times.

kennyamr

I must have been doing something wrong because it was never frustrating to me at any point and the AI worked pretty well, never got stuck or anything, very fluid... so I don't know what to say.

I'm glad to see some shared opinions in this thread about Trico's terrible A.I. The last time I brought it up in a thread on GAF, hardcore TLG fans were falling all over each other to tell me I was wrong, even in the face of me citing specific examples and linking to video evidence. It was either that I didn't finish the game, that I was lying, or that Trico not listening to me was "on me as the player" (WHAT THE FUCK). I didn't even say it was a bad game, just incredibly flawed and a chore to play through, and that it is a disappointment compared to the prior two installments. I understand people what to defend things they like, but some people have their heads so far up their asses that they can eat their lunch multiple times.
One could easily say the same about the opposite camp, seeing as how many people didn't have a hard time.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, about two hours in and aside from the wonky camera and tanking framerate I am finding the game itself pretty compelling and a nice breath of fresh air. Trico seems so alive and acts like I would expect a real animal to and the atmosphere is mysterious in that Team Ico sort of way. Very happy with the purchase so far.

The Dude

Yea I can't get into the game. I don't know, i agree with all the things said... But I also find myself just not into toting around a kid and his bird dog. Even tho I love the atmosphere and it looks cool, the idea behind the game once I had it and played it started to wane for me. I'd much rather play so many other games, therefore I shelved it indefinitely.

Top Bottom