• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian review embargo lifts on December 5th at 7am PST/10am EST/16.00 CET

So I'm wondering what exactly the Blood reference is on the ESRB rating is referring to. I'm getting TLG regardless, but I remain a bit hesitant to play in front of my 8 and 5 year old because of that. My youngest can be sensitive to blood showing of any type. Would anyone know what specifically the ESRB pinged for Blood by chance? Spoiler tag it if necessary.

Edit: Beaten.

I was playing Ico for the first time a few weeks ago and you can tell that Miyazaki must have been taking notes before he worked on Dark Souls. The interconnected map with shortcuts that lead back to places you're familiar with and glimpsing areas in the distance then arriving there later, it's all Ico

(Yes, I know he said Ico led him to getting into game development)
It never gets old how beautiful that is though...

First playthrough for Ice took me around 8-9 hours I believe.
First playthrough of SotC took me 15-16 I wasn't rushing and running around with Argo was great, plus some bosses were tough

I don't think TLG will be that short for most people...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I'm wondering what exactly the Blood reference is on the ESRB rating is referring to. I'm getting TLG regardless, but I remain a bit hesitant to play in front of my 8 and 5 year old because of that. My youngest can be sensitive to blood showing of any type. Would anyone know what specifically the ESRB pinged for Blood by chance? Spoiler tag it if necessary.
This is just a guess based on widely available promo materials, but Trico has arrows/spears sticking in him at some point in the game and there's probably a little blood there.

It seems very unlikely that Ueda would include graphic blood effects for the main character, and I I believe the enemies are suits of armour with smoke inside (I might be remembering that wrong).

Edit: too late. stupid phone posting.

i bought a launch ps3 for this because i thought i needed one anyway when it comes out.
still in the box, and now i have an unopened pro waiting for this.

gfxtwin

Based on the footage shown, Trico sometimes (minor spoilers)
gets impaled by the soldiers' spears and you need to pull them out and some blood is shown. Also Trico's beast mode is fully engaged when soldiers are around, and he straight up kills them sometimes, so it might be because of that too.

need more spoiler-free impressions ASAP
Ask and you shall receive (from the Gamefaqs poster)
Played a little, off to work

...there is plenty of time to stop and "smell the roses", plenty of moderate open areas for you to sit back and pet Trico/establish more of a bond.
You can pet him etc and he will react to it.

...there are some seriously tense moments ;)

More impressions from Gamefaq

Best way I can describe the game so far is a blend of Ico & SotC. It hearkens more to Ico than SotC imo, but def has SotC elements. Other than that, think Journey and Abzu as good recent examples of general structure and flow (obviously this game is more complex/longer though)

... Think more [you are Yorda, where Trico is Ico but AI]

And more details on how the boy-Trico stuff gameplay works:
....I have been pretty nice to Trico so not sure if there is a mechanic like that. I can say after he gets into a fight, he is pretty upset and will even toss you around/off if you don't calm him down with food barrels and petting.

You can progress if he is mad, just makes it harder. It's not a wall or anything. Combat is basically about setting up domino pieces: use Trico to deal with them, so more indirect from a player intervention standpoint. It's a puzzle, plus general use of environment thing (there are some light opt in stealth like mechanics too).

Is there a trophy list out to know if there are speed running trophies like in Ico hd? I feel like getting that was one of my biggest accomplishments in gaming, lol.

Edit: Although, going by impressions the flow of the game doesn't necessarily seem like that would be applicable.

I'm excited to see the AI and Trico animations in action. Not many games attempt to do advanced AI and animalistic movement in games usually misses the mark

It's pretty understandable why Ueda is excited for Rain World, and Sony is promoting TLG and Rain World for PSX, since they both focus on complex animal AI and dynamic fluid animations

I think the AI is the most worrying part for me, because as you say they usually miss the mark when devs try to do something too advanced. Rain World is the first game I've seen that really sells it, but TLG by comparison feels clumsy and possibly frustrating, from the limited footage I've seen. And nothing frustrates me more in a game than imprecise or unreliable control of the gameplay.

I think the AI is the most worrying part for me, because as you say they usually miss the mark when devs try to do something too advanced. Rain World is the first game I've seen that really sells it, but TLG by comparison feels clumsy and possibly frustrating, from the limited footage I've seen. And nothing frustrates me more in a game than imprecise or unreliable control of the gameplay.
To be fair, it seems frustrating by design, especially if those are parts from earlier in the game. New dog vs trained dog

To be fair, it seems frustrating by design, especially if those are parts from earlier in the game. New dog vs trained dog

Could be. The last footage I saw was from E3, been on a blackout since then. I have a preorder, but now kind of feeling that I should cancel and wait for reviews.

FTF

For some reason, I thought this was coming out on the 9th

Yo, TLG is only five days away

Z8hbhna.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Why 2011? It was revealed in 09 and from a design standpoint feels more like a PS2 era game. This isn't a criticism.

This applies to nearly every game released in the last 10 years, you may not have meant it as a criticism but plenty of people do.

Haines

Banned
I reallllly hope this doesn't bomb in price after I keep my preorder.

Ugh. So tough to eat this one. I just can't see a sp game these days holding its price.

Any word on the pro/4k/HDR? That might make it more worth it to me.

Trace

Banned

Ugh. So tough to eat this one. I just can't see a sp game these days holding its price.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-10-the-last-guardian-is-getting-ps4-pro-support

The Last Guardian will be supporting PlayStation 4 Pro, with the much awaited game upscaling to 4K and bringing minor performance improvements on Sony's new console when it launches this December.

The specifics on what exactly the PS4 Pro version will bring remain fuzzy, but it will also support HDR - a feature that's not PS4 Pro-specific - via a patch.

I cant believe people low ball the scores for a game that has two predecessors that have over 90 on Metacritic and all signs point to this being up there with both of them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

A Pro would be a very good idea, I think.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
A Pro would be a very good idea, I think.

As a pro owner that's nice to hear. Will the HDR patch be there day 1? I'd say it would make a massive difference in a game like this.

are there any goat status games released in december?

Ocarina of Time is the last one I remember, it came out 2 weeks before Christmas (in Europe anyway).

B33

Banned
As a pro owner that's nice to hear. Will the HDR patch be there day 1? I'd say it would make a massive difference in a game like this.
There will be a day one patch that will have the PS4 Pro enhancements included amongst other fixes.

Haines

Banned
The hdr patch needs to be there day 1. I'm not playing it w.o it.

I wonder if it checkerboards to 4k.

Yeah this game could look and play great if they support the pro features.

Markitron

There will be a day one patch that will have the PS4 Pro enhancements included amongst other fixes.

What I meant is that the Pro enhancements and HDR patch may not necessarily be included together though?

I really want this game do sale and review well due to how unique it is from majority of games this gen, but I have a weird feeling it's not going to review as well. I really hope I'm wrong.

The reviews will be all over the map on this one, I'm expecting a few controversial 5 and 6 scores. It's not going to be a game for everyone, but thankfully it seems that fans of the series will be satisfied, which is all we could ask for really considering it looked like it was never gonna happen at all.

I really want this game to sale and review well due to how unique it is from majority of games this gen, but I have a weird feeling it's not going to review as well. I really hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom