• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

wapplew

I think Metacritic tried to do that once the backlash started against the PS3 version. That's why it only has 16 reviews compared to the 360 version which has 89 and sits at a 96.

I just saw Yoshida retweet this from a ND writer

tlgmgs6t.png

tlg1sus12.png

It'll be interesting to see if TLG ends up having another ICO effect on the industry.

From ND animator/writer no less. Hope Chloe don't have magnetic platforming now, or at least give us the option to turn it off.

And we're 5/5 for games that came out a LENGTHY development process, be it hellish or just plain long this year.

The Witness. 7 years.
DOOM. 8 years. Kind of.
Owboy. 10 years.
FFXV. 10 years. Kind of.
TLG. 9 years.

None of the above are perfect but all of them have been well received in general and are even GOTY contenders.

If only Nioh came out this year, then it would had been capped off by a game that's 12 years in the making.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
And we're 5/5 for games that came out a LENGTHY development process, be it hellish or just plain long this year.

The Witness. 7 years.
DOOM. 8 years. Kind of.
Owboy. 10 years.
FFXV. 10 years. Kind of.
TLG. 9 years.

None of the above are perfect but all of them have been well received in general and are even GOTY contenders.

If only Nioh came out this year, then it would had been capped off by a game that's 12 years in the making.
This is pretty damn incredible to me since most of them are masterclass level quality in their specific genres. Still haven't played owboy, FFXV & DOOM but that will change very soon.

People will give it mixed reviews because of incredibly high expectations. I mean let's be real, no game is perfect.

This week we got both FFXV and The Last Guardian. 2 games revealed 10 years ago with nonsensical expectations from different people and went through development hell. They're both great games even with flaws. This is no way a Duke Nukem Forever.

Seems like the general consensus was that this game would be shit. Maybe high expectations from fans of Ico and Shadow, but not in general.

This is pretty damn incredible to me since most of them are masterclass level quality in their specific genres. Still haven't played owboy, FFXV & DOOM but that will change very soon.

Maybe "development hell" isn't so bad after all. Not ideal, but not a death sentence either.

Seems like the general consensus was that this game would be shit. Maybe high expectations from fans of Ico and Shadow, but not in general.
A baseless consensus however. A long development doesn't equal development hell. The latter is typically marked by issue with the game concept itself, with the developers not sure what the game is and rebuilding and reconstructing it. See Duke Nukem

The Last Guardian is more in the vein of The Witness. The game's vision and gameplay was there from the start; the issues were the ambitions of the technical side and the perfectionism of the dev team rather than conceptual.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll take this development hell any day of the week if we can get more games like TLG, The Witness & Nioh! They are so damn good.

But this game isn't out yet. :p

It got rebooted like 2 or 3 times?

Basically dev hell where ideas they thought worked failed so they started over from scratch. The current Souls-ish formula is their latest and final reboot of the Nioh concept.
Ah I see. I still remember seeing the first nioh trailer back in 2006? where william was kicking ass with japanese rock music playing in the background. Still can't believe it hasn't released yet.

I will take a permaban after chopping off my nuts if Nioh ends up being a bad game overall. That's the confidence I have going in. ;)
Dude i'm confident nioh will do well but this was the year where impossible shit happened(trump becoming president, leo getting dat oscar, chicago cubs winning the world series,etc)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You do make a good point,LastMinuteHero lol. But I'm still gonna stick to my gut on this one. Hopefully I'll get to keep my nuts.

Violet_0

Banned
Wait for EDGE. it might change the score.

I mean, they'll probably like it because it's just the sort of game they dig, but there's a tiny chance they are going to destroy it mercilessly and cause another meltdown on GAF and elsewhere. It's been so long since the last time

Trace

Banned
84 metacritic only? For such a endlessly hyped game?

That's not how this works.

A: 84 is a good score.

B: 10 year development time is a bad thing not a good one.

C: It was bound to be divisive because of that 10 year dev time on top of Trico's AI being something you need to account for.

I'm sorry, what is magnetic platforming ?

A lot of the time in Uncharted you'll find the platforming a little automatic, I remember once in Uncharted 3 I completely messed up a jump but Drake somehow floated towards the edge anyway. You don't have to be precise in Uncharted compared to other games with similar platforming mechanics.
I think I had better results getting Trico to move places when I was not on him

Yeah same, you have to physically show him what to do or else he'll struggle.

So .6 more and people who say it's a classic right? but at 84 it's under delivering? That' show it works right GAF? lol...

Happy that so many players adjusted to different controls and played this through the end, it's easily, EASILY, my GOTY. I have to play Inside as well which I've read/heard was excellent too.

Tansut

How far into the game am I, approximately?

I just finished the jumping set-piece with Trico, the one immediately after the E3 demo on the wooden planks.
Maybe a third of the way into the game? When I got there I assumed I was like halfway through the game, but it turned out I had more in front of me than I did behind.

fvng

I feel like a decent patch that addresses the camera and controls should force publications to revise their reviews. Luckily the game's faults are patchable as opposed to being inextricably linked to the game (like story)

Top Bottom