• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi: Why Does Nobody Talk About Holdo Lighstpeeding Through Rey, Rose & Finn?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

we are all aware of the Holdo maneuver. yes it is "the most amazing thing ever" to many people. the scene that made a million media critics ooh and aah with it's shiny lights in space. personally i wasn't that impressed with it, i dunno, i have seen a firework in real life before. this was not that incredible. jingling keys in front of film critics.

besides, it made no sense to me. what the fuck? why would she do that? Rey and Finn and Rose are all on that spaceship, and she just flew lightspeed straight into it? this is proving that she is a good guy? the fact that she is kamizakeeing right in the direction of all our heroes?

when i saw the movie i thought this was hilarious, i started thinking of other movies. what if in Die Hard, instead of McClane shooting McGruber with a gun, Sgt. Powell crashes a helicopter into the building, seemingly killing everyone, but when we see the rubble, McClane and all the hostages are safe, and all the bad guys are dead? it would be insanely reckless & utterly stupid.

that is what happens in this movie.

i looked it up on Wookiepedia just now because i couldn't believe it. nobody had ever talked about this or how utterly stupid it was. maybe i was wrong, and it was two different ships. but i looked up the Throne Room, which says

Snoke's Throne Room was an enormous chamber veiled by an opaque red curtain. Located aboard the Supremacy, a Mega-class Star Dreadnought and flagship of the First Order,

then i looked up where Phasma was, since she was there with Finn & Rose. she dies but they don't (plot armor!). they even mention the attack lol.

During the pursuit of the Resistance fleet, Phasma fought with Finn aboard the First Order flagship Supremacy, which had been devastated by a hyperspace ramming attack.

next i looked up Holdo's manuver, which says

When the transports came under fire, Holdo piloted the heavy cruiser Raddus into position and jumped to lightspeed through Supreme Leader Snoke's flagship, the Mega-class Star Destroyer Supremacy.

so... yeah... she just flew right into the spaceship that all our heroes were on.

rta4qt0oizt01.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Because she knew Rey, the most talented force user ever, would be okay. And even if she got hurt she is probably also great at first aid or something. I mean we never saw much force use from Leia and she flew through space like superman, Rey can do the same if she concentrates for half a second.

And the other 2 were Finn and Rose

EDIT because someone bumped this: Lol how naive I was. Of course Rey wasn't good at first aid....of course she ended up having OP force healing

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
I mean the whole movie is a joke anyway but sure we can go there. Do you know what would happen if ANYTHING hits anything else at the speed of light or in this case greater than the speed of light? That object becomes energy. That entire ship and an equal mass of it's target would instantly be converted to energy. It would have been like a small type 1a supernova. No one would have surivived that including the people in the escape pods.

I mean the whole movie is a joke anyway but sure we can go there. Do you know what would happen if ANYTHING hits anything else at the speed of light or in this case greater than the speed of light? That object becomes energy. That entire ship and an equal mass of it's target would instantly be converted to energy. It would have been like a small type 1a supernova. No one would have surivived that including the people in the escape pods.

They shoulda just summoned a giant metal alien to fuck TFO up.

Redstarwater

Neophyte
I haven’t seen it since theatres. How do they get off the ship? Did it explode after the fact? Is there just a floating wing in space right now?

Do we really need more reasons why TLJ is total shit at this point?

It's not fun without World's #1 Star Wars Fan Bobby Roberts here to defend the Disney films anyways.

Weren’t they there secretly? I thought the only ones who knew were Poe, Finn, and Rose. I haven’t seen it since the theater, but I remember Poe not trusting the Pink Hair woman and launched his own secret mission with the pinky promise secret between those 3 characters. And I don’t think anyone else knew Rey and Chewie were there also. I could be wrong, but that’s my recollection....

ChrisDude

1. She didnt know they were there.

2. Even if she knew in that case it was either them or the entire resistance. The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few.

Seriously people, stop making plot holes where there are none just because you didnt like the movie.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Did Holdo know they were on the ship?

*EDIT*
Answered above. Yeah you guys are complaining about nothing.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Was going to post a new thread called "The Holdo Maneuver still doesn't make any sense" but I found this old thread instead and just thought I'd reuse it.

So, even though they tried to "fix" it in TROS, with Poe saying "that was one in a million", it doesn't really solve the problem at all, in fact it makes it more illogical.

Because why would Holdo, at that moment in time, try something that has only a 1 in million chance of working? You can say she was desperate, but she still could have done almost anything else to try to slow the First Order down, the most obvious of which was just a plain suicide ramming attack.

But instead, she decided to try something that supposedly has never been done before in history. The only reasons she would try it that I can think of are:

1. She has done it before.
2. She has some confidence that this "impossble maneuver" would work in that instance, for some unknown reason, that the movie never explains.
3. ???

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I mean an analogy would be:

A guy is going to shoot me with a gun. I have a rock. I have several options:

1. I can try to throw the rock at his head to mess up his aim.
2. I can try to throw the rock at his gun to knock it out of his hands.
3. I can try to throw the rock at the exact same moment he fires the gun so the rock intercepts the bullet. (ie doing a Holdo Maneuver)

McCarth

I mean an analogy would be:

A guy is going to shoot me with a gun. I have a rock. I have several options:

1. I can try to throw the rock at his head to mess up his aim.
2. I can try to throw the rock at his gun to knock it out of his hands.
3. I can try to throw the rock at the exact same moment he fires the gun so the rock intercepts the bullet. (ie doing a Holdo Maneuver)
I bet you ILM can make number 3 look totally awesome on-screen. Gotta go with number 3.

Atrus

Gold Member
The film is not worth the enegy to analyze. It was created by and for unintelligent, easily amused people who don't value their time.
The post-trilogy itself was a gigantic waste of time that isn't worth re-watching ever again.

I was watching empire strikes back today and noticed a few things. While everyone is struggling to flee the empire siege, how does Luke leave Hoth without any problems? He calmly boards his x-wing with R2 and flies away like nothing wrong is happening.
Also, when the falcon is being chased by tie fighters, Han and Chewie are in the back of the ship trying to fix the hyperdrive... Who's piloting the ship? Is it set to auto-pilot? Because doesn't look like Leia is doing anything besides bitching and waiting for her man to fix their ride. So, it's not her flying the ship.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I always just assumed the heroes were in a part of the ship that didn’t sustain a direct hit, the throne room was probably dead center and purple hair hit the starboard side.

Still one of the dumbest parts of the dumbest movie

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

maxresdefault.jpg

we are all aware of the Holdo maneuver. yes it is "the most amazing thing ever" to many people. the scene that made a million media critics ooh and aah with it's shiny lights in space. personally i wasn't that impressed with it, i dunno, i have seen a firework in real life before. this was not that incredible. jingling keys in front of film critics.

besides, it made no sense to me. what the fuck? why would she do that? Rey and Finn and Rose are all on that spaceship, and she just flew lightspeed straight into it? this is proving that she is a good guy? the fact that she is kamizakeeing right in the direction of all our heroes?

when i saw the movie i thought this was hilarious, i started thinking of other movies. what if in Die Hard, instead of McClane shooting McGruber with a gun, Sgt. Powell crashes a helicopter into the building, seemingly killing everyone, but when we see the rubble, McClane and all the hostages are safe, and all the bad guys are dead? it would be insanely reckless & utterly stupid.

that is what happens in this movie.

i looked it up on Wookiepedia just now because i couldn't believe it. nobody had ever talked about this or how utterly stupid it was. maybe i was wrong, and it was two different ships. but i looked up the Throne Room, which says

then i looked up where Phasma was, since she was there with Finn & Rose. she dies but they don't (plot armor!). they even mention the attack lol.

next i looked up Holdo's manuver, which says

so... yeah... she just flew right into the spaceship that all our heroes were on.

4fd56aba0be6ff4e64fa27d124521ddd.gif

Nester99

Why build a death star, when you can just fuck a ship at light speed through a planet

But can you do that to a planet? A ship sure but how big of a ship would you need for a planet and what resources would it consume? Surely a star destroyer would hit a planet like a fly on a windshield

Just make a big cannon moon.

VAL0R

Banned
But can you do that to a planet? A ship sure but how big of a ship would you need for a planet and what resources would it consume? Surely a star destroyer would hit a planet like a fly on a windshield

Just make a big cannon moon.
If an object the size of a star destroyer hit Earth at anything remotely close to the speed of light it would cause a global apocalypse. "Speed kills", is the translated motto, I believe, of the military's railgun project. The transfer of kinetic energy would surpass many nuclear explosions. Humanity would be wiped out.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
somehow, they survived

sith magic, cloning

secrets

iu

only

iu

the

iu

sith

iu

knew

iu

absolutely nothing in star wars make sense and everything is a writer retconning something else. just move on with your life

Last edited:
If an object the size of a star destroyer hit Earth at anything remotely close to the speed of light it would cause a global apocalypse. "Speed kills", is the translated motto, I believe, of the military's railgun project. The transfer of kinetic energy would surpass many nuclear explosions. Humanity would be wiped out.
You would just waste an entire Death Star. There is a reason projectile/laser weapons exist

Top Bottom