• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

Dremorak

Banned
Wait, whats all this talk about controversy? Only thing I know about this is from seeing the e3 trailer and being blown away.

Alucrid

Banned
People keep bringing up GG with this game, but vice did a story on it with Tim Soret a while back and it seems he's steered a lot away from GG years ago,

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...unk-an-interview-with-the-last-night-designer

The game isn't built upon GG or anything like that, at least from what it seems like from reading that.

Hopefully that's true and we'll know when the game is released.

in what universe is a month (from E3) "years ago"?

qRRa1Hk.png

i also think their podcast of this covered it far better.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...far-cry-5-the-last-night-e3-on-waypoint-radio

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People keep bringing up GG with this game, but vice did a story on it with Tim Soret a while back and it seems he's steered a lot away from GG years ago,

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...unk-an-interview-with-the-last-night-designer

The game isn't built upon GG or anything like that, at least from what it seems like from reading that.

Hopefully that's true and we'll know when the game is released.

Fourth paragraph:
As a confession of my own biases here: I have known Martinez for several years and consider him a friend, and his vouching for Soret carries a lot of weight with me, even allowing that Martinez has a business stake in The Last Night.

kevin1025

Banned
I really hope people aren't letting this dude's agenda slide --- one that is part of the game --- just because it looks pretty.

Landford

Banned
Theres absolutely nothing sincere about his apology. Dude probably got a slap on the wrist from his team members and business partners and issued a paperthin apology just so it wouldnt affect his game. This is some "Our game about slavery of androids and their Identity in human society is not political at all" David Cage bullshit.

BiggNife

Saying "I don't support gamergate" while liking tweets by IMC and Mark Kern is like someone saying "I'm not racist but Richard Spencer brings up some very good points"

Dude is straight up lying

So yeah I'd rather not support him

MrBS

This has got to be one of my biggest disappointments of 2017 I went from being hyped for this game after seeing the trailer, jumping on line to soak in the hype, then I saw the tweets, okay fine maybe I can separate the art from the creator, then I read up on the premise of the game, welp.

Bonus points to IGN, giving this coverage? C'mon.

Opa-Pa

Oh wow, IGN bringing attention to this trash lol. That's a bad look.

I legit thought this would get lost until it surprise released or something.

cackhyena

I can see separating the artist from the art on occasion, but you guys saying you'll still play it after knowing the deal...smh. The art is infused with shit no one should stand for.

Stiler

The basic premise of the game is a dystopia caused by feminist healthcare.

From the vice article:

"And I was thinking maybe in this future we came up with artificial wombs. Where you are free from having to carry your kid. And so then you know, cool, you can continue to do what you want. You can work, you can continue to drink or smoke if you want. That's it! I don't think it's bad or good in any way. The only thing I'm trying to say is I'm trying to imagine what could happen if I push that into the future."

This is something that's proposed in many sci-fi works, books, movies, etc. A future where there is no real "family" and society has moved past it.

After reading some of the above tweets posted from the creator though I'm not sure if he really did move away from his gg views. Wait and see how the actual game is, can't imagine ms and others would sign off on it if it were indeed embedded with gg/anti-feminism and such.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh wow, IGN bringing attention to this trash lol. That's a bad look.

I legit thought this would get lost until it surprise released or something.

i remember IGN had a pretty tepid piece on gamergate too. not even mentioning it by name. after listening to patrick klepek talk about how the industry failed to meet that head on i think he's entirely correct.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yeah, I'm still looking forward to this. I'll wait for reviews and impressions, but it is definitely on my radar. Looks too damn good.

People commenting this is a bad look for IGN are overestimating the amount of people that know of and/or care about the controversy.

cackhyena

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to this. I'll wait for reviews and impressions, but it is definitely on my radar. Looks too damn good.

People commenting this is a bad look for IGN are overestimating the amount of people that know of and/or care about the controversy.

How about what the rest are commenting on...

PSqueak

Banned
From the vice article:

"And I was thinking maybe in this future we came up with artificial wombs. Where you are free from having to carry your kid. And so then you know, cool, you can continue to do what you want. You can work, you can continue to drink or smoke if you want. That's it! I don't think it's bad or good in any way. The only thing I'm trying to say is I'm trying to imagine what could happen if I push that into the future."

This sounds like him trying to sanitize what he had tweeted, his original tweet framed the idea of the artificial womb as something bad because it gave women the freedom to "work and drink and smoke", you know, "behave like men"*

*in the mind of a sexist prick who thinks only men should be free to do this.

Shaanyboi

Banned

That's not how this works. Audience apathy doesn't make IGN spotlighting this game any less gross.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Yeah, that's probably true.

Was this an editorial decision, or is the firewall between ad sales and editorial not quite so solid at IGN? Really disappointing either way.

Keinning

Most people not knowing doesn't change the fact that we and specially IGN knows. It remains a bad look for them whether the big public "cares" or not.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
That's not how this works. Audience apathy doesn't make IGN spotlighting this game any less gross.

I'm just saying the average IGN goer probably won't be reacting like people in this thread. Not telling anyone they can't react how they feel.

Foffy

Banned
Wasn't this the game that used the idea of a future with a basic income being one of a dystopia?

You know I can't support such nonsense like that. ;)

And then a dev who is also a gaffer tried to sweep some things under the rug?
If I remember correctly there WAS a newer member on GAF who was working on the game or did PR for it and was excited to answer questions about it, but then people later found out about the lead developer's GGness and soon afterwards he disappeared and never responded again.

Not a good look at all.

I'm just saying the average IGN goer probably won't be reacting like people in this thread. Not telling anyone they can't react how they feel.

Which is why IGN shouldn’t be supporting it. They know the message of this game, they know the creator; don’t advertise a game that is morally corrupt and act like it isn’t an issue. People (the IGN audience) likely won’t know better.

You’re just exposing more people to those hateful, insidious themes and perpetuating the spread of far right reactionary ideas.

Top Bottom