• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Hey I do have a question though.

Aren't all of the tweets about the story, plot points, the creator's views etc. all from the same time period in September/October 2014?

I realize there have been more recent tweets reconfirming his beliefs, but nothing reconfirming the game's story and themes.

A lot can change in 3 years, especially as a team is assembled, marketing/publishing is discussed, etc.

I just see a lot of people taking these old tweets as gospel (probably because the year isn't included) when there's nothing yet to indicate that the game's content has taken that shape.

True but if that's the case why hasn't anyone working on the game just come out and said that the story has changed?

Tell me about it. Like the general idea mentioned on the Steam page could work. A "utopia" really being fucked up has been done before

But building that from a foundation of this shitty mindset and ideology? And indie games are way more reflective of and molded by their creators than AA or AAA games

Gah, I hate this. Been following this game for four years now. Fuck.

Right there with you, man. Supremely disappointing.

Aren't all of the tweets about the story, plot points, the creator's views etc. all from the same time period in September/October 2014?

I realize there have been more recent tweets reconfirming his beliefs, but nothing reconfirming the game's story and themes.

A lot can change in 3 years, especially as a team is assembled, marketing/publishing is discussed, etc.

I just see a lot of people taking these old tweets as gospel (probably because the year isn't included) when there's nothing yet to indicate that the game's content has taken that shape.

Seems like it's safer to assume that he isn't going to scrap the entire premise of his game and start from zero. Hoping he learned his lesson and is going to write a game about something completely different leaving his personal politics completely out of it is less likely.

Possible. But less likely. Hey, prove me wrong creator.

Patryn

So will ms pull the plug on their deal after e3 to avoid attention or do they do it now and get the bad press out of the way?

If they do pull out, I'm guessing they do it quietly with no actual announcement. It just disappears off of press releases, web sites and the like.

Loudninja

Not like it matters when he still share those beliefs.

The story is only part of the problem.

DukeBobby

Game looks awesome, and the premise could be interesting. I don't have a problem playing something where the creator's viewpoints are different from my own.

But it's the whole "#gamergate" stuff from the developer that's really turning me away from it. There is just no defense for anything regarding that movement.

It's gone from "day one" to "I'll wait and see if it ends up being a shitshow or not". Would certainly be a shame too, because it was one of the strongest showings at MS's conference.

I guess the premise could be interesting in the hands of a top-notch writer who doesn't hold the same shitty worldview, but I can't see that being the case here.

Tim is just spouting nonsense which doesn't bode well for the game.

Kayhan

I imagine Microsoft knows what the content of the story is before signing on for the game.

So I would be very surprised if the actual game story turns out to be hugely controversial.

They won't cancel anything, they just won't boost it up like they normally would an E3 showstealer

That's gotta suck though, 4 years of work and Twitter Strikes Again #DeleteYourTwitter

True Fire

I'm sure, in the past 3 years, the creator saw the light and accepted feminism into his heart.

If the game has changed from that, sure, my interest will be back in at least following how it does and a potential play.

But this left its mark, and it'll never wash out.

Wadiwasi

Banned

Their recent replies on twitter would have been a prime opportunity to address your exact concern. However, they chose to not do that and the guy that thanked me earlier in the thread has chosen to only RT a sassy opinion instead of trying to correct anything.

This leads one to believe that the previous vision, story, and views have been continued and are the basis of the game.

I imagine Microsoft knows what the content of the story is before signing on for the game.
The basic premise at a quick glance doesn't sound like something a GG person would create, until you dig a little deeper. And plus, the art direction is stellar. It's the only thing saving the game from everyone completely dismissing it.

Fireblend

Banned
Those tweets...

Ve9Y3.gif

duckroll

He said whatever he said in public. That's how he chooses to represent the game and himself to the public. If there are any significant changes, it's on him to make it clear. There's no benefit of the doubt here.

God I was SO EXCITED for a Cyberpunk game I would actually get to play within the next year or so.

Supremely disappointing that he turned out to be a piece of shit.

But yeah, the core concept of a broken utopia is a good one, it's done all the time and done well by many.

But having that poisonous ideology as your core story function? You can tell that it won't be subtle with it's messaging and attitude towards women.

Xe4

Banned
I probably wasn't going to play it anyhow, because it didn't really jive with me (I've never been a fan of pixelated sidescrollers), but wow.

That's... a thing.

Tell me about it. Like the general idea mentioned on the Steam page could work. A "utopia" really being fucked up has been done before

But building that from a foundation of this shitty mindset and ideology? And indie games are way more reflective of and molded by their creators than AA or AAA games

Gah, I hate this. Been following this game for four years now. Fuck.

I remember reading a thread you made about it a couple years back, which first introduced me to the game.

Crazy to think that it ended up like this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I feel like we need a new thread to get the word out not to support this guy.

This sucks SO MUCH ughhhhhhhhhhhh

KORNdoggy

They won't cancel anything, they just won't boost it up like they normally would an E3 showstealer

That's gotta suck though, 4 years of work and Twitter Strikes Again #DeleteYourTwitter

Or alternatively...

#dontpostyourshittyopinions

Or even better

#donthaveshittyopinions

When are people going to realise the shitty things you say online will bite you in the ass.

Pachinko

Separating author from work is one thing , this is a case where we have all been given clear warning into how this guy thinks and despite some very recent nebulous tweets , he hasn't changed much.

This game isn't out yet. So , we all have this benefit of forsight where we can choose to simply not support it now.

This type of thing is much harder to manage , say after the release of the game. We're all adults that can easily choose to not support this type of thing.

It's a shame really because it does look very cool visually but the main hook of any good adventure game is the story and when , as a creator, you admit the big twist you've got planned is that feminism and progressive thinking is bad like some kind of fancy alt-right hot take ? Nah , I think I'll pass thanks.

At the very least I can safely wait until someone else plays the finished product impartially and tell me that they went in a better direction than that.

Aurongel

Exploring hypothetical scenarios is fundamental to sci-fi and as a feminist myself, exploring what a world would look like when the ideology is taken to an absurd length can be interesting if done well.

But nothing he says indicates that he has any interest in exploring that. Instead his "politics" of the future are couched in the politics of today with his hate group pandering and edgelord hash tags. If he announced the theme alone id be interested but very cautious. Its the fact the he's so brazenly tying it off with hash tags of hate groups that is shockingly unprofessional to me.

What a tone deaf asshole.

megalowho

I'm still interested in seeing how it turns out. If there's a bunch of weird politics and the writing is bad there's plenty of other games to play.

I feel like we need a new thread to get the word out not to support this guy.

This sucks SO MUCH ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Right? I mean at the very least a new thread would bring up a pretty controversial situation to the community given it's presence in Microsoft's conference.

Really still wondering what Microsoft's response will be.

Fifty bucks says this is still a sales success because he markets it, after he gets de facto abandoned by the Microsoft hype machine of course, to his GG buddies and the cesspit of Voat (hi guys *waves*) and those shitholes.

Wereroku

The writer was in this thread early on. If the story had changed I am sure he would have said something when this all came out. So no probably no changes since that statement and the writer seems to agree with it as well.

I'm pretty sure she isn't there for jokes and wanted him to continue so she could she what he thought.

Yeah I am guessing she actually wanted to see a response to this stuff. However dude seems to have clammed the fuck up probably because his publisher told him to.

I got to feel for the people who put the Xbox show together with diversity in mind, they went out of their way to have lots of women on stage, only to let this slip through the cracks.

Ms. Loftis is taking an odd approach here:

Is "Whatever" an official Microsoft PR response to all this?

In the same way that the developer is allowed to be a human and post his dumb opinions on his Twitter, Loftis is allowed to have her own opinions on her personal account. Not sure what is difficult about this. Is it an official Microsoft twitter account?

Seems like it's safer to assume that he isn't going to scrap the entire premise of his game and start from zero. Hoping he learned his lesson and is going to write a game about something completely different leaving his personal politics completely out of it is less likely.

Possible. But less likely. Hey, prove me wrong creator.

You mean isn't reworking it now, or didn't rework it back then? That was when he was just getting started on it and getting a team together.

I'm sure, in the past 3 years, the creator saw the light and accepted feminism into his heart.

I addressed this in the post. Recent tweets have shown his beliefs haven't changed, but nothing indicates that the game's themes continue to be what they were when he was in the brainstorming phase.

Honestly the steam page reads like the themes are more about what happens when society is about consumption instead of creativity. Wouldn't be surprised if the game's choices lead you to a Deus Ex-ish decision of ruining everyone's fun (making them like the main character, who can't "jack in" like everyone else) or perhaps gaining the ability to become like everyone else, and make the main character happy (but at what cost).

I fucking knew Tim Soret's gamergate stuff would come back to bite him in the ass after arguing with him a couple of years ago. Funny thing is namedropping Phil Fish, considering how Fish was all against gamergate and one of the biggest male allies.

Pikma

Banned

So in your opinion the only mistake this dumbass did was have a twitter account? What the fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom