• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonkid

I'm lttp but I'm guessing we haven't seen much of the "keep politics out of video games" sentiment from the alt right have we. Not surprising what it *really* meant.

Oxymoron

Oh, one thing in his defence re: narrative sophistication and the guaranteed income angle of his game. On the day of the first round of the election night he tweeted that France could have had the French Bernie Sanders [Mélenchon] or someone who supported a basic income guarantee [Hamon], but instead they were choosing a Rothschild banker. So that suggests that he is approaching the premise of the game from the point of view of someone who is at the least basic-income-curious.

Are you French or fluent in French? Just making sure we're not just going off google/bing translate, which could backfire in arguments if they're not fully accurate. Not disrespecting your effort here.
Yeah, that's an understandable concern. I'm French-Canadian, they're not machine translations.

Opto

Banned
Coming into this thread like

wXfu2LM.gif

mo60

Really? I don't think of Nintendo as the kind of company to take a stand on social issues like this. Didn't they fire one of their own employees who was targeted by gamergate after some conservative lobby picked up on the issue?

Nintendo won't touch anything that brings controversy especially something like The Last Night.

MrCinos

The game looks visually amazing, easily my favorite E3 trailer so far. I hope the game's story and narrative turn out to be good, which might be wishful thinking at this point considering all these tweets by the author.

I realised he probably had French tweets people hadn't caught:

B3iXVVp.png

(the tweets he's replying to have been deleted)

1. The only racist I see here creating a racial hierarchy because someone is black or white here is you.

2. The real racists are the degenerates of your kind who see everything through the prism of race and gender.

(The next tweets are in the context of an "anti colonial summer camp" in France for POC which did not welcome the participation of white folk.)
zEtozEX.png

Tim1. Please tell me you're not defending the summer camp, Baptiste.

Baptiste2. I 200% do, and I really dislike seeing everybody up in arms about it. "Oh my god, the oppressed are organising!"

Tim3. Wow, you've totally bought into the rhetoric of oppression and state racism. Disappointing.

(he then suggests Baptiste read an article he links)
csh6fr1.png

Baptiste4. I read it, it's mediocre and shallow. Whether or not it chaffs your butt, institutional racism exists and is still a reality.

Baptiste5. Obviously, people who don't live it scream when say that, which in itself justifies the existence of a camp where speech is protected.

Tim6. That's anti living-together. I miss the 90s when I was a kid and we were all mixed and never thought about colour or religion.

And, re: Zoe Quinn
PinPuLu.png

I don't know if you're aware, but it's a hot topic. Zoe Quinn was sexually harassing men all while crying sexism.

What kind of an idiot do you need to be to honestly believe that institutional racism does not exist? This man is a fool.

BigDes

Is every poster that shows interest in the game gonna be met with "but did you know that xxx?"

Because we have an entire thread about it ya know

I suppose it depends on how sincere the people coming in going wow this looks great oh wow is there a controversy haha what even is a gamergate anyway haha are being

watershed

Banned
Nintendo won't touch anything that brings controversy especially something like The Last Night.

Moot point because that trailer was fake, but a game that used to be too controversial for Nintendo during the WiiU era, The Binding of Isaac, was released on the Switch. This is different because the controversy is with the developer and seemingly not the game itself (so far) but I'm not sold on the idea of Nintendo not wanting a game on their platform because of the creator's views. I'd love to be wrong though.

Doukou

Damn this sucks it looked so good, I hope MS apologizes for giving them a spotlight or at the very least drops marketing.

Is every poster that shows interest in the game gonna be met with "but did you know that xxx?"

Because we have an entire thread about it ya know

That they're posting in? It's not even like they were talking about the art, the person specifically inquired about the narrative.

Fjordson

Seems like there is some real life drama with the creator? Don't care about that stuff. Only need the game to be good.
Well the plot in the game reflects the creator's horrible views. "The real-life drama" is a part of the game. Or at least was at some point in development. Kinda makes it hard to brush off.

Especially when they're calling it a "cinematic platformer". This ain't an arena shooter or something where you can just ignore the story and its themes.

Seems like there is some real life drama with the creator? Don't care about that stuff. Only need the game to be good.

The game universe and story is built from the ground up as basically as his propaganda so it's a bit hard to separate the art from the artist on this one. And yeah, as you yourself noted - this game is going to live or die based on its writing both because of it being sci-fi and a narrative-driven game.

Like, imagine if Valiant Hearts was actually about how the Holocaust is jewish propaganda, suddenly the cutesy artstyle and emotional beats aren't so endearing anymore.

I suppose it depends on how sincere the people coming in going wow this looks great oh wow is there a controversy haha what even is a gamergate anyway haha are being
Like dropping into a discussion about Chick-fil-A homophobia to let people know they want some Chick-fil-A and then leave.

Like dropping into a discussion about Chick-fil-A homophobia to let people know they want some Chick-fil-A and then leave.

Basically. Except in this analogy the chicken sandwich meat is actually cut up and fried homosexuals instead of just being an outlying factor on why people don't support it lol

Exentryk

Well the plot in the game reflects the creator's horrible views. "The real-life drama" is a part of the game. Or at least was at some point in development. Kinda makes it hard to brush off.

Especially when they're calling it a "cinematic platformer". This ain't an arena shooter or something where you can just ignore the story and its themes.

The game universe and story is built from the ground up as basically as his propaganda so it's a bit hard to separate the art from the artist on this one. And yeah, as you yourself noted - this game is going to live or die based on its writing both because of it being sci-fi and a narrative-driven game.

Guess I'll watch a few more trailers close to release and decide from there.

What an amazing looking game. It really stood out to me. I can't wait to see how it plays. I hope it has a heavily synth based soundtrack. I'm looking forward to more details, like launch date and price.

I look forward to seeing more people who were GamerGaters in 2014 getting called out in the coming years.

If he really changed his mind that's cool, but judging from his recent Tweets I just find that a bit hard to believe.

aravuus

With some games I could probably ignore the creator's awful stances, but narrative would be the main draw of a game like this for me, and it's obviously going to reflect the dev's views a lot... So yeah, I'm probably going to be skipping this also.

Would be nice to be proven wrong after release, but I'm not holding my breath.

I realised he probably had French tweets people hadn't caught:

B3iXVVp.png

(the tweets he's replying to have been deleted)

1. The only racist I see here creating a racial hierarchy because someone is black or white here is you.

2. The real racists are the degenerates of your kind who see everything through the prism of race and gender.

(The next tweets are in the context of an "anti colonial summer camp" in France for POC which did not welcome the participation of white folk.)
zEtozEX.png

Tim1. Please tell me you're not defending the summer camp, Baptiste.

Baptiste2. I 200% do, and I really dislike seeing everybody up in arms about it. "Oh my god, the oppressed are organising!"

Tim3. Wow, you've totally bought into the rhetoric of oppression and state racism. Disappointing.

(he then suggests Baptiste read an article he links)
csh6fr1.png

Baptiste4. I read it, it's mediocre and shallow. Whether or not it chaffs your butt, institutional racism exists and is still a reality.

Baptiste5. Obviously, people who don't live it scream when say that, which in itself justifies the existence of a camp where speech is protected.

Tim6. That's anti living-together. I miss the 90s when I was a kid and we were all mixed and never thought about colour or religion.

And, re: Zoe Quinn
PinPuLu.png

I don't know if you're aware, but it's a hot topic. Zoe Quinn was sexually harassing men all while crying sexism.

Jon-Stewart-shakes-head.gif

My goodness.

I just want to point out that besides all the disgusting GG, anti-feminist bile, this is a cyberpunk game about how great capitalism is. A CYBERPUNK game espousing the benefits of CAPITALISM.

That's so fucking mad.

Having games/movies depicting different tougher themes is okay. I'll judge it from the trailers, and this one looks great!

lol what?

there's nothing tough about saying "hey if feminists had their way the world be a dystopian mess", it's actually pretty fucking sexist and ignorant

This isn't breaching some brave new ground on a philosophical stance, it's just regurgitating trash.

Doukou

I just want to point out that besides all the disgusting GG, anti-feminist bile, this is a cyberpunk game about how great capitalism is. A CYBERPUNK game espousing the benefits of CAPITALISM.

That's so fucking mad.

Eh the punk part is more of a visual design than a story element
Like Steampunk
Edit:nowadays

That's so fucking mad.
That could be an interesting genre subversion if it wasn't for, you know, all the GG bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom