• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Confirmed? (Linkedin Profile)

Phreak47

The sequel will center around how another group of survivors discovered that 60s latin dance music, combined with a sufficient electrical charge, keeps the infected at bay.

Now if we can only come up with a good subtitle...

I...really don't understand why people think writing stuff like this in their LinkedIn profile is a good idea.

This guy also has been in the industry long enough to get to a point of being in a "Lead" position too.

JNA

Banned
I'm not really sure I like the idea of a sequel.

I mean I'm sure it will be really good, but do we really need a sequal for every game that is at least above average? No one and done great games?

I'm not saying it should be like movies with one and done Oscar winning movies, but I just feel like we have such a vast amount of game sequels, instead of just making one game on one IP and be done with it.

Anybody feel the same way at all? Or am I just stupid? XD

I may be fine with a direct sequel if Ellie is the main character. She will be an adult and Joel will have died after some years living as a family. Getting to live that peaceful family life again is the end of Joel's story, but Ellie has a future she was willing to put on hold for his sake.

I really doubt Ellie would ever be pushed to kill Joel, because it feels to me like she chose a life with Joel over her desire to use her immunity for the benefit of humanity. We know for sure she's aware or strongly suspects Joel lied, but she chose him without even so much as a probing question. Maybe she will once again set out in search of someone who can turn her immunity into a vaccine once Joel is dead.

But would the fireflies be dead by now? And shouldn't the town have some doctors? Maybe they're reluctant or don't have the competence. Is the town raided and destroyed? Maybe a vaccine has already been created and the game takes place during the difficult process of its delivery to all corners of the ravaged society.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I mean I'm sure it will be really good, but do we really need a sequal for every game that is at least above average? No one and done great games?

I'm not saying it should be like movies with one and done Oscar winning movies, but I just feel like we have such a vast amount of game sequels, instead of just making one game on one IP and be done with it.

Games are different because better technology means you can possibly explore new game mechanics. People wouldn't be so against the idea of a sequel to so many films if the original was a silent black and white film and the sequel was in color with sound. At least that's how it COULD work, more often than not it just means more of the same with shiny new paint. It will probably still be fun.

The more practical explanation is that games are a business and that as AAA costs rise it's better to go with what works and minimize risks.

AAK

Wanted a new IP.... oh well.

Ok. Need some advice here guys.

I really want a cheap game for my PS4, The last of US keeps coming up as a game that I should get but here is my problem:-

I don't particularly like cinematic games, I find an abundance of cutscenes annoying and I'm really not a fan of slow, plodding games (Need balls to wall action in my games)

Despite this, time and time again my friends have implored me to give TLOU a go. They all say it is the one game that I will love the change of pace even though its not my "type" of game.

Honestly guys, would I be making a mistake in buying it? Remember, im only really buying it because its cheap and I want something "meaty" for my PS4 in terms of a single player experience.

Lots of great downloadable indie games you can invest in that will fulfill a fantastic single player experience more so than this game which you are primarily playing for the story.

Just watch this.

The game never plays as dynamic as this demo makes you believe.

sector4

You don't have a character as beloved as Ellie and dump her in the sequel. You just don't...
tumblr_n8ohww3tFS1sd4mmco1_500.gif

LuuKyK

This was really obvious. After the tremendous success TLOU turned out to be, you would be crazy to think Sony was not going to keep the franchise going.

Hoje0308

Banned
hahaha, could you imagine if they have Ellie playable for like two hours, then kill her off and have some random person be the main character?

Still wouldn't be as bad as the situation in MGS2. Having to play as Raiden was made so much worse by the many appearances of Snake.

Here's my theory. So, Joel is probably infected or dead. Ellie is most probably the playable character. Ellie meets a duder. By the end of the game they have kids, and the kids also carry the immunity. Then 30 years later, the kids have kids, and those kids are immune. Slowly all the humans die except Ellie's progeny, who are actually "the last of us".

Cloudy

Banned

It's really simple. If you don't want a sequel, don't play it and let those who want it enjoy it. No-sequel folks are so incredibly selfish lol

I really want a cheap game for my PS4, The last of US keeps coming up as a game that I should get but here is my problem:-

I don't particularly like cinematic games, I find an abundance of cutscenes annoying and I'm really not a fan of slow, plodding games (Need balls to wall action in my games)

Despite this, time and time again my friends have implored me to give TLOU a go. They all say it is the one game that I will love the change of pace even though its not my "type" of game.

Honestly guys, would I be making a mistake in buying it? Remember, im only really buying it because its cheap and I want something "meaty" for my PS4 in terms of a single player experience.

It's $18 Digital on BST thread. Enough action to justify it at that price

Only cinematic in cutscenes where it just looks really good. Never intrudes gameplay

barit

Yeah one of the best games of last generation gets a sequel. Why should we not celebrate that? There is this rich world created by ND with tons of backstorys and plots. With a complete new cast or with older Ellie 10 years later I would gladly go back into this world to find out more about it. We still don't know WHY the infection happened. Was is man-made or just Nature's caprices?

So that means ND is split into 2-3 Teams?

-Main Team is working on Uncharted 4 [In Production]
-Secondary (small) Team is working on TLOU 2 [Pre-Production]
-Third (Smaller) Team is working on that "scale of Uncharted" New I.P. [Early into Pre-Production]

By the time U4 is over, just like the production of both U3 and TLOU. The teams will split, one works on the sequel (TLOU2) the other works on a New I.P.

Hydrargyrus

This world could allow 2, 3 or 4 games even without being repetitive so, if they think they can do it: go on!, because the first game is the Game Of The Previous Gen

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ellie would have to live a lie in the new community. She would have to hide her infection from everyone there for the rest of her life. She would become introverted and avoid getting into any meaningful relationships. She may suggest to Joel that she could come clean and tell everyone about her immunity but it's a big community and there's always a risk of someone being afraid or someone telling an outsider. Joel would tell her that and once again she would feel cheated by Joel. Nature has always been and clearly always will be Ellie's sanctuary so she would eventually decide to strike off on her own, leaving Joel alone and having to deal with yet another loss. She would feel bad about that but would temper it with the lie.

This gives the second story plenty of meat for character development and opportunities for the player to enjoy hunting in the wilderness with Ellie once again. Her journey could lead her full circle and perhaps come to terms with why Joel 'had' to lie as a Father. Instead of it being a journey from a to b with the narrative concentrating on forming a relationship, it could be about her coming of age and finally understanding what it must have been like for Joel to live for 20 years through this epidemic. It's also a blank slate, so introducing new scenarios and meeting new characters would feel natural and fresh.

I would do something different though. I would have a father and mother walking down the road with a young daughter. They would see a car coming their way and attempt to flag it down. But it doesn't stop and as the car passes, the daughter looks through the back window and sees a young girl looking back at her. This story would run in parallel to the Ellie and Joel story. Only in the third game would I return to Ellie.

This franchise has endless possibilities because it's about the characters and NOT to scenario.

There was nothing original about The Last of Us. There was also nothing original about Uncharted 2 as a sequel...that worked out ok.

So who cares what series these guys make a game in? Just look forward to something that can be potentially amazing once again.

I hope ND doesn't stick with Ellie and Joel and just go with different survivor in another country. I don't want them to get stuck into their Elena syndrome. Drake should have been given different companion each game to make his interaction less stale.

Ellie would be the main character this time so not really comparable to Uncharted.

marcincz

Sequel of the game of my life!? Yes, please ND. Do it as fast as you can.
Or maybe prequel? 20 years between beginning of the game and main game is huge period of time.

So that means ND is split into 2-3 Teams?

My split is different.

Major Project 1 : UC4 (production)
Major Project 2 : TLoU2 (early in preproduction)
Minor Project 1 : TLoU MP Updates (ongoing support until UC4 release)
Minor Project 2 : Unknown (previously TLoU Remastered )

Business

Here's my theory. So, Joel is probably infected or dead. Ellie is most probably the playable character. Ellie meets a duder. By the end of the game they have kids, and the kids also carry the immunity. Then 30 years later, the kids have kids, and those kids are immune. Slowly all the humans die except Ellie's progeny, who are actually "the last of us".

image.php

My split is different.

Major Project 1 : UC4 (production)
Major Project 2 : TLoU2 (early in preproduction)
Minor Project 1 : TLoU MP Updates (ongoing support until UC4 release)
Minor Project 2 : Uncharted Trilogy Remastered (previously TLoU Remastered )

Mystery solved :p

HooYaH

I think TLOU ended with that story. I mean is there a
doctor left to make a cure
for Ellie? Not really sure, but they should have TLOU in a different universe but the same premise such as a space crew landing on an unknown planet surviving or humans surviving on earth as the planet is depleted from resources.

Redrop

I like the idea of an older Ellie. But if ND kills Joel in the process of telling her story, then I've lost all interest. That man needs to catch a break.

pLow7

Are there seriously people who don't want a Sequel ? It'll turn bad you say ?

This is Naughty Dog, probably the most talented Studio out there. There is a very minor Chance that it will turn bad, like very minor.

Mikey Jr.

If you want balls to wall action, tlou isn't it.

Top Bottom