• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Confirmed? (Linkedin Profile)

Reset

What a surprise.
kappa.png

I don't want this,

Don't buy it. o:

Eugh, if there was ever one game that didn't need a sequel, it's The Last of Us. It worked so perfectly as a standalone, one and done title.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I would have much rather preferred to close the book on that universe and move on.

Having said that, I will still buy & play on release date.

I trust ND to create another wonderful story in their carefully crafted world.

What if The Last of Us 2 is to TLOU what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1?

rHOuGCu.gif

KorrZ

It's alreAdy been said previously that if they were to make a sequel they would want to start from scratch with new characters. I think that's by far the best case scenario. Joel and Ellie's story is finished, there is no need to add anymore to it. In fact I feel doing so would just diminish the story.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to play as
a member of one of those crews that consistently tried to kill Joel and Ellie. Of course you wouldn't know it as you're progressing through the game. Then at some point you come across Joel, only to end up murdering him. Shit would come full circle and people would be so upset!

Bricky

I remember some interview with Naughty Dog where the mentioned the incredible amount of effort it took them to create a new IP like The Last Of Us, so I didn't really expect them to have another fresh concept ready for their project after Uncharted 4. Especially after the first game sold as good as it did.

But even though I kinda expected it, it's nice to see it all but confirmed now. It's not a game that needed a sequel, but I don't expect Naughty Dog to disappoint either.

The Last of Them. A first person twitch shooter based on an all out war. The infected (them) against the rest of humanity (us) who have mobilized to take them out once and for all. Co developed by Respawn ent.

Stark

Banned
Eugh, if there was ever one game that didn't need a sequel, it's The Last of Us. It worked so perfectly as a standalone, one and done title.

Not really. I find there's tons of stories to tell in the universe. New locations, new characters. Especially outside the US.

People wouldnt want to see where
Joel and Ellie continue on to? i really loved their characters and want to see ellie reaction when she found out joel was lying in his rescue
You seriously want to see that? They will NEVER show it, even if they pick up with these characters. That's the point of it; the implicit knowledge that she already knows, that he's a liar and protector both, and that the truth really doesn't actually matter. Honestly, if they deliver that sort of story in the sequel, it's broken before it's even begun.

Gray Matter

Not really. I find there's tons of stories to tell in the universe. New locations, new characters. Especially outside the US.

That's one of the many great things about TLoU. There are so many places and characters to explore, it's virtually endless what can be crafted in this universe. It just has to be done carefully.

TLOU sold like what, 9-10 million by now? Too bad it gets leaked already considering it's 2-3 years away.

Confirmed:

7 Mio on Ps3 (Before the Ps4 Release)

Over 1 Mio on Ps4 (Sony said at Gamescom)

I think 10 Mio by now is possible. Especially with those Black Friday Bundles

Gray Matter

You seriously want to see that? They will NEVER show it, even if they pick up with these characters. That's the point of it; the implicit knowledge that she already knows, that he's a liar and protector both, and that the truth really doesn't actually matter. Honestly, if they deliver that sort of story in the sequel, it's broken before it's even begun.

But do we really know that Ellie caught Joel's lie?

iNvid02

i wanna see ellie all grown up kicking arse with that bow, developing new relationships (pet and/or child), flashbacks from her time with joel, nightmares from what she's had to endure, a constant battle with her survivors guilt, having to make hard choices and sacrifices to demonstrate what it takes to survive, and ultimately her transformation into a heroine

do not place subtle clues throughout implying that her immunity to the virus is somehow diminishing and end it ambiguously, only to reveal 3-4 years later that the TLOU3 isnt focusing entirely on new characters, but that the villian is ellie who you have to kill mercifully at the end.

do not do that

Shojx

I want to play as a clicker; change the perspective around a bit. I hope that's possible in the sequel somehow.

Ooh, maybe at some point give you control of someone in the late process of "turning", that would be so interesting!

New characters with a timeline that spans the beginning of the outbreak to around when TLOU happened thx.

Absolutely no old characters thanks. The first one ended perfectly.

DieH@rd

Banned
TLOU sold like what, 9-10 million by now? Too bad it gets leaked already considering it's 2-3 years away.

Neil already talked about potential sequel. It's not like we did not expected it.

But do we really know that Ellie caught Joel's lie?

Neil said she did. We can safely assume that this is "canon", and that sequel will build up on that ending. We don't know if she will forgive him or hate him for it.

yurinka

Well, to prototype doesn't mean the game has been greenlighted. They may be testing some stuff to see if they find interesting things to do before pitching it.

As we know the game sold 8+ Million copies and is one of the most critically acclaimed games ever, so they should be really stupid if they don't make a sequel.

We all knew it was gonna happen, the question is are Joel and Ellie gonna return?
I don't see any reason to keep them outside the sequel (or prequel).

I dont see how Naughty Dog is going to top this, but if there is one company that can do it its them.

Graphically definitely, game-play possibly, story, less likely. That's one aspect of development that's the most difficult to iterate and build upon with equal success, and the most frequent area where you see regression to the mean after you hit it out of the park with one game.

TimmiT

Not surprising, though I was hoping that The Last of Us would be a one-off and that they'd do something different. I really don't like the "everything needs to be turned into a series" mentality developers/publishers seem to have.

Gray Matter

Yes, she's not an idiot. Why do you think she confronted him at the end? You've never asked someone to "tell the truth" even if you know they are lying?

True. But I'm not convinced, and I wouldn't want to know, that's what makes the ending great. But sometimes it bothers me.

What if The Last of Us 2 is to TLOU what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1?

BWEaUu2.gif
Well with one being last generation, it wouldn't really work the same. Unless it's being released on the PS3 and not the PS4; that would send me into the hospital. From laughter that is.

Not surprising, and I'm sure they'll make a quality game. Still, I sort of wish they'd do something brand new. Maybe the Uncharted team will do something brand new after 4?

True. But I'm not convinced, and I wouldn't want to know, that's what makes the ending great. But sometimes it bothers me.

Well, Neil kinda explained it about his intentions when writing the scene.

But I'll let you read it and find it if you want. Although I dont really hold the view that she didn't know he was lying as very valid, considering her character arc and how not dumb she is.

Top Bottom