• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (Naughty Dog): Hold One Second

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I am super duper excited for Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock Infinite, this fucking game was best of show no question about it. It's funny, I'm talking like this was E3. But it kinda is, let's face it the VGAs are about showing off future games and nothing else. The awards are meaningless.

(except Skyrim deserved its GOTY)

(I know it's broken on PS3, deal with it)

(just kidding, it's terrible and I feel for PS3ers... but still, GOTY)

(or maybe Arkham City)

(I'm extremely tired and sleepy)

Amir0x

Banned
Amir0x, you criticize using negativity as opposed to constructive input. Naughty dogs reads this forum from my understanding. If you want their games to be more to your liking, why don't you say how you would fix issues you have instead of just 'appearing' to hate?

I wasn't criticizing a Naughty Dog game. We were discussing Enslaved (because this lead designer guy from Enslaved is working at Uncharted now). Presumably, Naughty Dog can do nothing to fix Ninja Theory's sad resume. And in any event, I listed many of the problems Enslaved has. People always seem to miss the extremely detailed posts I make... most likely because they are incapable of formulating posts in defense of their own brainless opinions.

Arne already knows the problems I have with Uncharted. He disagrees with me philosophically. He thinks 'dying sucks.' I think that's a horrible philosophy to have in game design, being afraid to allow the audience to die and learn from their mistakes. But that's Naughty Dog. And that's why I'll be cautious in my enthusiasm for Last of Us until I determine precisely how lenient they're going to be to gamers.

Veidt said:
don't care about her. in my mind this is ellen page.

It's interesting to discuss why she looks so much like Ellen Page but she is clearly not voiced by Ellen!

plainr_ said:
Oh god no. I hate that term with a passion.

It's just another word for zombies. I'm exhausting my vocabulary for different ways to say the word zombies.

Yes! The hype was worth it. Naughty GODS making another new ip for the ps3 with stunning graphics plus survival horror. I can't be more hyped right now

i3BvlDD6g0kxp.gif

iK4FMd4wn3K9Q.gif

Sony are going to set the benchmark once again when it comes to graphics. My god Naughty Dog are too awesome.

Good lord, Naughty Dog is just beating the hell out of the PS3 with their tech. They just keep delivering.

Bloodrage

Banned
Obviously, they are not your "typical zombies."

However, I really cannot understand the zombie hate. Is that the cool thing now on GAF? Hate Zombies?

Sure, there have been a dozen or more zombie games this generation, but there is still room to improve in a gaming world filled with "zombies>"
LOL same people that bought Resident Evil 5 and Dead Island (two below average shooters) here, now, bitching about Naughty Dog getting into survival horror. The fear here is not for a potentially generic game but for 1. PS3 exclusivity and 2. the redefinition of an entire genre. Let's not blame ourselves for buying too many shitty zombie games, let's blame Naughty Dog and get back to Call of Duty.

Instro

I want a game centered around a menstruating digital Ellen Page.
Do you go for pads or tampons?
Got a particularly heavy flow this month? ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE.
If you smell too much like vaginal blood your dealings with other people won't be too successful.
And lets not even talk about THE CRAMPS.

A true horror game.

Jaroof

This looks hawt.
It's in-engine, too? Yeess!! :D
Not hard to believe, considering it's Naughty Dog.. It looks like a Naughty Dog game, too.. the motion blur on the girl as she was running to the stairs resembled Uncharted's motion blur.. also, the light rays outside looked pretty much just like U3's.

I'm not sure why everybody's all burnt out on zombie games.
I've played Dead Rising 1&2, Left 4 Dead, Dead Nation, CoD Zombies, and more.. and I'm still not really tired of them. If it's a solid game, I don't really care if it has zombies.
I trust Naughty Dog to make this a great game :)
Wonder how long it's been in development, and when it's due to release?

AA is tiny though. If this is really a cross-state adventure story, I don't know how they can do open world. At "most open," it would be linear with branching paths or secret places to explore. They could do something on the scale of San Andreas, but why? It doesn't make any sense for a game about survival.
I just meant in terms of how it was designed in that it is generally linear, but open for you to explore if you want. They could expand on the scale however much they want seeing as you only have to have one area loaded at any one time.

However, I doubt this will be any less linear than Uncharted 2 was, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it could stand to be a little more open though, branching paths and secret places would be great, and enough to add some variety.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
It's interesting to discuss why she looks so much like Ellen Page but she is clearly not voiced by Ellen!

there is nothing to discuss. this is ellen page. this will forever BE ellen page!

GeoramA

Looks pretty bland. UC, although I love it, didn't exactly set the NPDs on fire. This game is going to do even worse than UC in my opinion. Looks like Sony is just never going to find its Halo or Gears or Mario - the kind of game that can move systems.

Honestly don't see what was so "unbelievable" about this reveal, but I'm not disappointed because I knew it wasn't going to be anywhere close to what Keighley was hyping it up to be. Someone needs to tell Keighley that a first party exclusive is about as unbelievable as telling someone that the world is round.
Who gives a shit? Now sales-age is trying to downplay this game...lol

The NPD thread is around here somewhere. Go there.

I hope this has some nonhuman enemies like slime molds - or some enemies that are essentially multiple humans bonded together by the fungus. There's a good opportunity here for some SERIOUSLY fucked-up enemy design.

Hato-kun

I really hope Ellie will be the main character. I'd like to see Joel dying quite early on and having a survival game based on her making her way across the country.

Death needs to be used more as a narrative device and I think Naughty Dog would be the people to do it.

inky

LOL same people that bought Resident Evil 5 and Dead Island (two below average shooters) here, now, bitching about Naughty Dog getting into survival horror. The fear here is not for a potentially generic game but for 1. PS3 exclusivity and 2. the redefinition of an entire genre. Let's not blame ourselves for buying too many shitty zombie games, let's blame Naughty Dog and get back to Call of Duty.

Could you point these people out to me (the ones who bought those games and are dissing this one), I must've missed them. What's that? You just made a completely empty hit & run statement because lolz console warz, this game is going to be the f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶r̶d̶ fourth coming, Naughty Gods rulezzz? OK.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

What have I done. It was a simple idea that would have merit in the real world. In GTA you can pimp and have sex with hoes but the idea of a girl going through her menstrual cycle as she would normally and getting a tampon to eliminate bleeding so the zombies wont smell the blood is some unprecedented, satanical stuff. Lmao I'm finally famous...infamous on gaf!

Amir0x

Banned
there is nothing to discuss. this is ellen page. this will forever BE ellen page!

It will be Ellen Page... even her name is Ellie!

Come on Naughty Dogs this intentional, right? You changed to this Ashley Johnson chick for voice at the last moment right?

Loudninja

I really hope Ellie will be the main character. I'd like to see Joel dying quite early on and having a survival game based on her making her way across the country.

Death needs to be used more as a narrative device and I think Naughty Dog would be the people to do it.
They both making the trip so image they are both playable.

Atrus

Gold Member
Based on the video it looks like the creatures are basically human, maybe controlled by some sort of fungus or parasite that's directing their actions. The teeth are human, they have intact vocal chords, they react to injuries and they appear to be sensitive to sound.

I'm guessing these things are probably going to be a fairly common category of enemy, with differences ranging from the types of people and creatures infected. On top of this you'll have armed humans scavengers that you'll need to fight as another category.

Since the creatures won't have ammunition, there's likely going to be a weapon that doesn't use ammo like a bat, crowbar, or something along that line. It can't be post-apocalyptic if there's a ton of ammunition everywhere.

I wonder what the plot will be though. Waterworld redux? Basically find a suspected refuge while avoiding the creatures and foiling the plans of some enemy scavengers? It also seems like the story will be tied to one location, which is okay since Uncharted 1 was pretty much that as well.

I hope this has some nonhuman enemies like slime molds - or some enemies that are essentially multiple humans bonded together by the fungus. There's a good opportunity here for some SERIOUSLY fucked-up enemy design.

Damn, I already find the glimpse of the infected freak'n nasty creepy, but that indeed would be pretty horrific looking.

Looks pretty bland. UC, although I love it, didn't exactly set the NPDs on fire. This game is going to do even worse than UC in my opinion. Looks like Sony is just never going to find its Halo or Gears or Mario - the kind of game that can move systems.

Honestly don't see what was so "unbelievable" about this reveal, but I'm not disappointed because I knew it wasn't going to be anywhere close to what Keighley was hyping it up to be. Someone needs to tell Keighley that a first party exclusive is about as unbelievable as telling someone that the world is round.

Sony already has a game that moves systems it's call GT.
Also UC also sell a good amount and you can bet it going to be a system seller next gen .

Also i think it's shock most people ND is doing another IP and we might get to play it next year .
ND making another game\IP this gen bigger than most 3rd party stuff for me any way

I'd like to see that too, but I'd like to see it happen very late in the game. You need two characters to have actual dialogue.

pelican

Holy Shit.

As much as I love Uncharted it is nice to see ND taking a break with a new IP. Can't wait to see more of this game.

ND truly are one of my favourite developers this gen.

I said after Uncharted 1 (I believe in the OT) that ND would make a superb survival horror game. If you have played Uncharted DF then you know what part I am talking about. The premise on the trailer looks great, but I need to see more of it. Regardless, I trust ND and I believe they will deliver. We definitely need some new survival horror games. SH is crap nowadays, RE sucked after 4, Dead Space 2 was underwhelming.....I guess L4D is still good. Can't wait to see more on this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What have I done. It was a simple idea that would have merit in the real world. In GTA you can pimp and have sex with hoes but the idea of a girl going through her menstrual cycle as she would normally and getting a tampon to eliminate bleeding so the zombies wont smell the blood is some unprecedented, satanical stuff. Lmao I'm finally famous...infamous on gaf!

Pitch it to the producers of The Walking Dead. :p

Danielsan

Holy fucking shit. Holy god damn fucking shit. I decided to skip the VGAs and get some much needed sleep, but Geoff, you are redeemed. That was amazing! Also a game featuring Ellen Page (or a character heavily inspired at least). Ellie character model looks so damn good. Hell everything does. I'll buy 10 copies. Damn...

Amir0x

Banned
Can Ellen sue ND for using her likeness or something? :p

I'm not sure, but there HAS to be a story here. This character looks NOTHING like Ashley Johnson and everything like Ellen Page, and her name is Ellie! Come on!

Not exactly gameplay though

Well, it's all 'in-engine', which probably means like Uncharted in-engine. Regardless, it's definitely not CG. If you're more worried about the lack of showing gameplay you should be more specific :p

KingK

This looks hawt.
It's in-engine, too? Yeess!! :D
Not hard to believe, considering it's Naughty Dog.. It looks like a Naughty Dog game, too.. the motion blur on the girl as she was running to the stairs resembled Uncharted's motion blur.. also, the light rays outside looked pretty much just like U3's.

I'm not sure why everybody's all burnt out on zombie games.
I've played Dead Rising 1&2, Left 4 Dead, Dead Nation, CoD Zombies, and more.. and I'm still not really tired of them. If it's a solid game, I don't really care if it has zombies.
I trust Naughty Dog to make this a great game :)
Wonder how long it's been in development, and when it's due to release?
Pretty sure it's been in development for 2 years now, and I'm guessing it will release in Fall of next year. ND usually reveals their game at the VGAs, and then releases it the following holiday season (they did this for UC2 and 3).

you're talking to king stoner, KingK ;)

Good, lol. I usually like your posts, even when I disagree with them, but I can definitely see how your sharp criticisms can be abrasive to others.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior

You're so wrong. So so wrong.

pelican

Sony already has a game that moves systems it's call GT.
Also UC also sell a good amount and you can bet it going to be a system seller next gen .

I wouldn't concern yourself with that post. Was obviously a bit of a troll. UC sales world wide are strong. That member needs to remember that month one NPD doesn't equal the world.

Loudninja

I can see that too, but I'm really not too keen on them doing the whole 'The girl is smaller so she has a different skill set than the dude' kinda thing. Why can't they both do the same things?
I like character to have different skills, being the exact same things is pretty boring.

Her having knife skills would be interesting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Who gives a shit? Now sales-age is trying to downplay this game...lol

The NPD thread is around here somewhere. Go there.
It's the pre-emptive sales age. The worst of all ages.

I can see that too, but I'm really not too keen on them doing the whole 'The girl is smaller so she has a different skill set than the dude' kinda thing. Why can't they both do the same things?
Why should they? Would you want a warrior and mage in an RPG game to have the same magic ability? What's the point of different characters then, just a resin.

yeah i actually think this game could do MUCH better than Uncharted. It has the right market in place right now
I think it's all but assured based on theme alone - provided that the quality is there, of course.

Teknoman

Damn, I already find the glimpse of the infected freak'n nasty creepy, but that indeed would be pretty horrific looking.

I had no idea it was some sort of fungus from watching the trailer...but that really makes sense since the guy looked like some sort of broccoli head. Fungus is scary in general (just look at those ants or people who have their face eaten away by it) so this works perfectly.

I'm not sure, but there HAS to be a story here. This character looks NOTHING like Ashley Johnson and everything like Ellen Page, and her name is Ellie! Come on!

Nothing new from ND, it's like Drake/Fillion (that's what they said themselves) and that U3 lady and Helen Mirren

uncharted3marlowe.jpg

This time they went a little overboard maybe
dont change it motherfuckers, if anything make her look MORE like Ellen Page

KingK

I still just can't believe we'll be getting another ND game on PS3. I thought Uncharted 3 was going to be their last game until the PS4.

Based on the video it looks like the creatures are basically human, maybe controlled by some sort of fungus or parasite that's directing their actions. The teeth are human, they have intact vocal chords, they react to injuries and they appear to be sensitive to sound.

I'm guessing these things are probably going to be a fairly common category of enemy, with differences ranging from the types of people and creatures infected. On top of this you'll have armed humans scavengers that you'll need to fight as another category.

Since the creatures won't have ammunition, there's likely going to be a weapon that doesn't use ammo like a bat, crowbar, or something along that line. It can't be post-apocalyptic if there's a ton of ammunition everywhere.

I wonder what the plot will be though. Waterworld redux? Basically find a suspected refuge while avoiding the creatures and foiling the plans of some enemy scavengers? It also seems like the story will be tied to one location, which is okay since Uncharted 1 was pretty much that as well.

Pretty sure this won't be the case. The PR release mentions travelling across what's left of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom