• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (Naughty Dog): Hold One Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
Was it "and then we deal with his body" or his "buddy"? I thought he said "his body", which makes sense to me since there's no other buddies to take care of but they have (dead) bodies lying around, which may not be a good thing since it attracts the infecteds?

OR like in Walking Dead (spoiler for TV only viewers)
everyone is already infected and all it takes is for them to die to turn into fungimon/fungi monsters).

The spoiler; where on this earth of earths did you get this?

Replicant

The spoiler; where on this earth of earths did you get this?

The Walking Dead comics basically tells you early on that (again MAJOR SPOILER for Walking Dead if you only watch the TV series)
everyone on Earth is already infected with the zombie virus. All it takes for them to become zombie is for them to die (even normal death). Unless you destroy their brain after they pass away, rest assured they'll reanimate as zombie after their death.
I was simply saying that maybe that's also what happens with these fungi infections.

Loudninja

OHH DEAR this guy is amazing.

Did we get any new info from the press day?

All we got
"With this music we're trying to get emotion. We're not going for horror," Druckmann explained.

"There's going to be horrific things happening in this game, but that's not the focus of it. The monsters aren't the focus of it, it's the relationship between Joel and Ellie."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...us-scored-by-oscar-winner-gustavo-santaolalla

Also we get more info next month.

sleepykyo

Like I said in another comment. People would not go ape shit and start rapping each other and steal, murder. Just look how people behaved in Japan. Everyone tried to help each other, risking their lives. There was almost zero stealing. People were finding and returning things, etc.
This theory that we would all go insane is just silly. People would just try to reboot.

The Crusades.
The Rape of Nanking, bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Nazi Concentration camps.
The Rwandan conflict.

Humanity's history is marked by inhumanity. When the government is either incapable or unwilling to guide the people things will go horribly wrong.

edit: Not to mention, people working together in harmony doesn't make for a fun game.

Squire

Banned
The Walking Dead comics basically tells you early on that (again MAJOR SPOILER for Walking Dead if you only watch the TV series)
everyone on Earth is already infected with the zombie virus. All it takes for them to become zombie is for them to die (even normal death). Unless you destroy their brain after they pass away, rest assured they'll reanimate as zombie after their death.
I was simply saying that maybe that's also what happens with these fungi infections.

Thanks. Yeah, I got your poInt. was just intensely curious about TWD stuff.

Massa

KingK

I like hearing that they'll be focusing on the emotion and relationship between the 2 characters. Some of the scenes in Uncharted 3 really fucking nailed the emotional connections between certain characters. One part in particular (Massive UC3 spoilers, Don't read unless you beat the game)
the part where Sully "dies." I was legitimately upset and sad and angry, and as soon as you start playing again after the scene, all I wanted to do was kill Talbot. I was pissed and out for blood, and it's great that they were able to make me feel exactly how Nate was feeling in that part

I imagine there will be several scenes that evoke emotion like this in The Last of Us.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The trailer and overall look of the game is giving me a serious The Road vibe.

That's a good thing.

KingK

So they played the whole theme song at the press event? What are the chances of them letting The Rest of Us hear it any time soon?

KingK

If there's no sequel then i hope they slowly get infected and they have to shoot each other. it would make for one awesome cheesy ending with an amazing ending score though.

I'm sure there will be a sequel. The official press release mentions "Naughty Dog's new franchise, The Last of Us."

theBishop

Banned
One thing I'm not seeing a lot of discussion about is the Cordyceps actually control the mind of the infected ants. If you watch that section of Planet Earth, it explains, how the ants travel upward, under control of the fungus. This ensures that the spores will spread as far as possible.

This has some interesting gameplay and narrative potential.

AAK

They are definitely talking a whole lot about the narrative and plot behind the game. I do hope they put more emphasis on an ambitious game design like with Jak2/Jak3 rather than the safe & established game design from the UC games.

But I guess I should lower my expectations, with the amount of Sony money being poured into this I doubt they'd be willing to take risks.

One thing I'm not seeing a lot of discussion about is the Cordyceps actually control the mind of the infected ants. If you watch that section of Planet Earth, it explains, how the ants travel upward, under control of the fungus. This ensures that the spores will spread as far as possible.

This has some interesting gameplay and narrative potential.

Basically, Ganado's from RE4.

JVIDICAN

I hope they shoot each other at the same time and the game ends with the camera panning out over their lifeless corpses! >:D.. :[

KingK

unless it bombs. and it face the same fate as Heavenly Swords and Enslaved.

It's always possible it bombs, but I really doubt it will unless it turns out to be shit (which I don't think is very likely, but who knows). There's already tons of buzz around this title, both from fans and the press. I mean, this thread for a 2 minute cutscene already has 79 pages, the youtube video already has like 700,000 views, etc. Plus people generally like zombie games and Naughty Dog has become one of the top developers in the world this gen in the eyes of a lot of gamers and press.

Surprise twist,
you are the monster
Would fit with the I Am Legend theme, lol.

mattchuuu

Neo Member
Has there been any talk about the apparent flood in the city? I wonder if global warming melted the ice caps/Greenland enough to unleash a long-since frozen parasitic fungus targeted at higher primates (humans, neanderthals, etc) and effect the global weather patterns/sea levels.

KingK

Has there been any talk about the apparent flood in the city? I wonder if global warming melted the ice caps/Greenland enough to unleash a long-since frozen parasitic fungus targeted at higher primates (humans, neanderthals, etc) and effect the global weather patterns/sea levels.

Well, there's no better way to make your game the top story on Fox News than to have global warming cause the apocalypse.

Just a thought, Dead Nation had a small but cool plot twist of 2 survivors being immune to the zombie virus, hopefully they tackle the story somewhat similar but in their own original way.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
How much more riveting would the premise had been were it set in a turbulent period in american history, say like the 1940-1970's? A period of social injustice and inequality where not only were the protagonists of different races (African American man and Caucasian woman) but also a time when the nature nor origin of the infection couldn't be explained or understood. Not only would the two have to form an uneasy alliance to survive but they'd have to overcome generations of racial prejudice and stereotypes. Eventually they'd grow to care and "love" one another understanding that the differences between men and the monsters that now hunted them weren't so clear. I think it'd be a mature take on the genre (tps) and something that'd give credence to the argument that games are art and compelling as any book or film.

They'd encounter bands of survivors some welcoming of their interracial relationship and others that opposed it (yes I'm sure some asshole would still care, even in that life-or-death scenario). All the while there'd be bands of survivors composed of a single race fighting against a differing one, seeing as they couldn't trust other races. So the player would attempt to bring all these factions together to fend off pillagers and the infected. I think that would be cool and would be nice to show themes other than the usual survival of the fittest, but also xenophobia and mystery of the infection. I think that'd be brilliant but I am happy thus far with what I've seen of tlou.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Peter Molyneux ladies and gentlemen... AKA... tampon guy.

:p I think some of these themes might fall outside the scope of a big AAA game.

Replicant

I hope there's a section in the game which makes you don't want to enter (but you have to anyway) because it's so vile and disgusting. It's fungal, if it's not disgusting, I don't know what else is.

On that note, when I was in Japan during summer, thanks to the heat and humidity, things (foods/utensils) were easily covered with mold in matter of days. Ugh, I'm so grossed out if I remember that.

Mikey Jr.

It's always possible it bombs, but I really doubt it will unless it turns out to be shit (which I don't think is very likely, but who knows). There's already tons of buzz around this title, both from fans and the press. I mean, this thread for a 2 minute cutscene already has 79 pages, the youtube video already has like 700,000 views, etc. Plus people generally like zombie games and Naughty Dog has become one of the top developers in the world this gen in the eyes of a lot of gamers and press.

Would fit with the I Am Legend theme, lol.

Gametrailers is also showing about 600k views.

Yeah, there is a LOT of buzz going on right now with this game.

My hype for this game is building!

I really hope that the story and history of how the world got to this point is fully fleshed out in the game.

I hope they just don't drop Joel and Ellie into the world with minimal explanation of the background. I'm very interested in knowing all the details of the story and world from the beginning of the outbreak until everything went to shit. And just using a cutscene to explain the history of the outbreak isn't good enough. I want gameplay sequences (you begin the game as young Joel at the very beginning of the outbreak? flashbacks a la Uncharted 2? whatever works)

But I guess I should lower my expectations, with the amount of Sony money being poured into this I doubt they'd be willing to take risks.

i dunno man, Sony could be letting them make a game they really want to make. they are the most important studio to them, after all. they've probably been burnt out a little bit making the Uncharted trilogy.... would make sense for Sony to allow them to make (almost) whatever they want now.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Peter Molyneux ladies and gentlemen... AKA... tampon guy.

:p I think some of these themes might fall outside the scope of a big AAA game.

I think someone should dare to do things differently in this market. Everyone sticks to the same cookie cutter ideas. There's nothing wrong with controversial topics as long as they are handled correctly. Damn I wish I was a game developer, I would make some award winning shit or I would atleast like to be a writer. And that tampon idea lol as outrageous as it sounds is totally plausible and isn't crazy at all. I like to think gamers are mature and intelligent and that they'd be able to handle a short segment in a game that had that tampon scenario. I hate it when movies assume the audience are idiots so why should games do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom