• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Online has been cancelled

Saber

Gold Member
I honestly think the picture of what has been going on behind the scenes with Naughty Dog and Bungie is starting to become clearer.
My theory is that ND started working on Factions thinking this will work fine with a small part of the studio maintaining the game post launch. Bungie came in and said
"No way you guys are gonna be able to run this game in parallell with SP game development".
Bungie revenue literally starts imploding short thereafter.
ND and Sony says
"F this, lets pull the plug on this TLOU Online experiment, too many risks involved"

For me it's more believale that Bungie laugh their asses out at the idea of a LoU GaaS, where most of GaaS fails miserably and the few ones that were sucessfull archived sucess through a very strong appeal. And LoU fails incredibly miserable at that departament.

Last edited:
Use the mode as an add on to the next game, just like the original. Ideal outcome imo
+
Just make it an additional mode that comes with Part III, like back in the day, without it being GAAS.
In an ideal world yes, but in reality this won't be able to generate enough money to consider doing in the expansive way that ND had in mind.

Now drop the Horizon multiplayer as well. Actually, drop everything Horizon.
Amen brother.

Digity

As much as I wanted to give this a go, I wasn't gonna sub to PS+ for one game anyways so kinda works out lol.

Elios83

Thankfully no more time wasted on this and now full speed on the multiple single player games in development (realistically new IP and TLOU3).

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

At least we can stop talking about it.

not any worse than the resident sony fan boy that just posted "Is Starfield and anti-system seller" or some other such nonsense.

I could probably get you 5 super annoying Xbox shills for every one guy like that you mention....lol

I am sorry but that is the absolutely wrong.They could atleast make it a standalone multiplayer experience with like 10 maps or so.To cancel everything from this game is ridiculous.

skit_data

For me it's more believale that Bungie laugh their asses out at the idea of a LoU GaaS, where most of GaaS fails miserably and the few ones that were sucessfull archived sucess through a very strong appeal. And LoU fails incredibly miserable at that departament.
Well, possibly back then but I don't think anyone in Bungie can laugh confidently about their own games brilliance anymore.

Alebrije

What a waste of time...the only left of this ride:

450_1000.jpeg

Factions as a GAAS Game can work, Sony just should give it to Bungie.

Great news, I never cared for Factions. Now they can get back to working on single player games that they are known for. I didn’t buy my PS5 to play GAAS games from ND.

Fake

It took awhile but Jim did take PS down a bad path with their games wanting so much GAAS

Get back to doing what your best at

The problem is this fanboy mentality of 'half is doing great, so the other half doesn't matter'.

There are loads of example of GAAS turning into disaster, but pepple focus on sales when come to defend such pratice.

PS5 sucess, as we can see, have nothing to do with GAAS fiasco is facing. This terrible path Jim tried to push will never be forget now that TLOUS multiplayer got cancelled.

I can't imagine a company like ND, with receive unlimited money for Sony, wasting 4 years of resources for nothing.

This alone tell a hard leason for the future. As higher the bet gets, higher the loss will be.

Is Jim legacy now.

Last edited:

Damigos

I hope all of playstation’s “tens of live service games’ also die before they the light of day.
PS is not this gatcha sh*t, the sooner they understand that the better

Shut0wen

Why couldnt they make the multiplayer game without regular updates? Like why not charge full price download only with whatever content they had created? Fucking retards

EDMIX

....go home and get the gun...GET THE GUN!

If it wasn't working out, it wasn't working out. They are correct to move on instead of wasting dev time and resources and maybe they should just have another team that is more established in MP do it anyway.

This isn't the PS3 days were you can just add on MP as like a easy after thought, that feature is just too complex these days to just be some "addition" to. You have teams that struggle with this concept where they ONLY DO MP games.

Imagine if someone like DICE was like "you know what, I'm fuck around and make an (add on) to our MP game that is basically the Last Of Us, do it in a year or so, easy" lol

Last edited:

pqueue

At least we can stop talking about it.

I could probably get you 5 super annoying Xbox shills for every one guy like that you mention....lol
You can deny it all you want, but just look at the last 10 pages of thread topics here and it shows a different story.

Hugare

"We would become a live service developer in order to support the game for years"

Yeah, no shit. Werent they able to predict this before investing so much time and money on this?

It was clear that it wasnt a ND decision from the start. Jimbo probably wanted to push GAAS for basically all of Sony studios. Trying to capitalize on the TLOU franchise bow with the HBO series was a no brainer. ND had their hands tied.

Hopefuly Sony will stop with this GAAS shit. Leave it only to Bungie and smaller devs, make them come up with some new (and cheaper) concepts instead of arena shooter #27483

Thank God that this project crashed and burn. Imagine wasting ND's talent with live service, ffs.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Factions was a prime example of working within constraints and it turned out great. They removed those restrictions for whatever this was going to be and it ended up being a complete waste of time. Sony should reflect on this.

Crayon

That explanation is lacking. Exactly how did you just realize at the end that you are going to need a lot of resources to keep that going?

Last edited:
I and many others who played wanted a well-crafted PvP mode. Nothing more.
The days of a simple pvp mode is over because I’m guessing it cost too much now to maintain the servers and online infrastructure.

My first thought is why didn’t they just make a basic MP mode that isn’t live service, I also wondered why the new rogulite mode in the ps5 remaster for tlous2 doesn’t have online co-op and I think it’s because it just isn’t worth the cost for them to keep maintenance up on MP modes that don’t bring in revenue.

How was this even allowed to happen? You're telling me that one of the top studios in the industry worked on a live service game for years and didn't know that you need to continue to support the game post-launch with new content?

Nothing personal against Herman Hulst, but he has done an awful job managing PS Studios since he took over.
If we're gonna give Phil Spencer shit for how he's handled Microsoft Game Studios then Herman Hulst should receive the same criticism.

One of Herman's biggest studios spent most of this console generation releasing remakes and remasters of games that came out on the PS4 and PS3. Hell ND made a remake of a PS3 game that was remastered on the PS4.

"We would become a live service developer in order to support the game for years"

Yeah, no shit. Werent they able to predict this before investing so much time and money on this?
Devs and pubs massively underestimate how much it takes to properly support a live-service title, especially in this day and age. This isn't new. You can see this pop up literally everywhere.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
One of Herman's biggest studios spent most of this console generation releasing remakes and remasters of games that came out on the PS4 and PS3. Hell ND made a remake of a PS3 game that was remastered on the PS4.
Friendly reminder that U4 was released way later than anything from ND this gen and almost crashed and burned in production hell.

xrnzaaas

Sony gaas train is starting to derail before they even had a chance to launch their first new gaas game. That's awesome news, brings us even closer to refocusing on singleplayer titles.

skit_data

Sony gaas train is starting to derail before they even had a chance to launch their first new gaas game. That's awesome news, brings us even closer to refocusing on singleplayer titles.
Would be pretty ironic if somehow Concord or Fairgames would become a suprise hit.

Top Bottom