• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

TripOpt55

Currently on Survivor+ and on this run I am attempting the big one:

All Collectables (Comics, Manuals, Artifacts, Pendants)
All Conversations
All Jokes
All Shiv Doors

I have fought at the
power station with Tommy and am about to chase down Ellie who's legged it on a horse! I totally forgot about this sequence.

Anyway, I am currently on 11 Doors, 33 Conversions and 112 Collectables. I have got the Trophy for the Jokes now. Annoyingly, I 'wasted' a Shiv on a door I had unlocked on the my original run through the game, hopefully I will remember the last two I have missed.

Is it possible to chapter select the game to get a missing door? Does it tell you which chapters you have and haven't unlocked doors on? And, what if that Chapter has no shiv-craftable stuff, I guess I would have to go back further to find the components.

Another run through the game on NG++ wouldn't exactly piss me off if I had to do it, I am on my 3rd playthrough anyway!

By the time I am done, it will be DLC time, and then I'll concentrate on the online side of the game. Not tried it at all yet.
I just went through this myself. You can go back and get shiv doors via Chapter select but it doesn't say where you are missing them like the collectibles. And I think Starting a Chapter via the Chapter select starts you with the supplies you had when that checkpoint saved on your previous run (that seemed to be the case today when I did it at least). I suppose if when using Chapter select you played on Easy, there would probably be more supplies and it'd easier to make a shiv if that was a problem.

YomommaZ

I just managed to finish this game in time to cast my GOTY votes so beware SPOILERS ahead in case the title wasn't obvious enough!

Ok so i was fully expecting 1 of the protagonists to be dead by the time the credits roll, specially because of all "dem feels" i read prior to playing the game and the general depressing atmosphere. Through the entire journey i had a feeling that anyone of the characters could actually die, unlike in eerrmmm Uncharted where i was never scared that some of the protagonists might not make it, and that made me care about them more than i would otherwise. But when i got to the last scene i was like "wtf this is it?" and then i actually went online to search if there was something after the credits. But now as some time has passed since completion i understand more and more the brilliance behind the story and ending and the more i think about it the better it gets. It was a nice twist and surprise for me to keep them both alive in the end. Then after the initial shock i fully pictured Joel playing to Ellie on his guitar like he promised as the credits song was playing in the background. It was nice to see a more thought provoking ending, rather than save the world and ride into sunset!

And the second big shock for me was when i realized that david is a rather disturbing fella to say the least. Again prior to playing the game i remember reading a debate surrounding dlc and someone mentioned he would like to play as david and my name is david and the first scene when you meet him i thought to myself "oww what a friendly dude he's gonna help"! Moments later i was thinking "nooo Ellie don't be stubborn let him help" and then a little while later when things started to get a little weird i realized what's going on i actually yelled " OHH YOU SICK FUCK!!!" and i continued to do so as Ellie was chopping his sick head to pieces :D

Now i have to replay the game a few more times to fully appreciate all the little things and everything the game has to offer. It was a beautiful journey and i'm glad i had the pleasure of experiencing it!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My platinum is glitched... I've opened all the shiv doors now multiple times. I've done them all in the same playthrough. Won't pop.

Careful, these trophies are incredibly glitchy. Every time you do one of these, check whether it actually saved your progress. Otherwise, you won't know which one it skipped.

I have every single collectible, engaged in all conversations and opened all shiv doors (I did miss one joke, because it would not activate in the library section no matter how long I waited or restarted). I do have the trophy for finding all collectibles, but not the individual trophies for each form of collectible.

OK, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I was checking with certain unlockables to make sure they were showing in the stats. One thing weird happened today... When you chase down Ellie on the horse and she's in the house, the comic book wasn't showing up that is in the bedroom. I checked every other room to see if maybe it was in a different places pre-patch (running patch-less), and nothing. I "Restarted Encounter" and there it appeared in the bedroom!

Tonight I did unlock the Optional Conversations trophy, and it popped when we talked about the Firefly logo at the University.

Annoyingly, tonight I have also kinda fucked up two things.
1 - I missed the Flamethrower in the workshop at the University, although maybe its not there on Survivor+ ? I certainly remember getting it on Hard.

2 - I do not have enough weaponry to kill the Bloater at the University basement. I can get the 5 Clickers (4 with 2x arrows, one with pistol etc), but I just don't have the ability to take the Bloater down. I did do on my original playthrough though and I am sure I picked up the Pendant. Would the game count it for this 'round' of the game? i.e. If I get all the other Pendants will I get the Trophy because I have picked it up on a previous play through. I used Chapter select from Chapter 1 to do the Survivor+ without having to do Survivor first.

Too right they are glitchy. I just picked up a Training Manual (1 left now) and I got the Scavenger Trophy (All Collectibles). I don't have the Trophy for Comics or Pendants yet so found that amusing :)

Just did the underground tunnel area without getting spotted, that was awesome!! Got two more Trophies tonight; Comics and Training Manuals. Just got one more Pendant which is behind the final Shiv Door in the hospital. Hopefully those two Trophies will work too. I'll need to do another run as far as the University as I forgot to get the Flamethrower and will need to upgrade it. Should I start from the beginning on Chapter select? Will need lots of resources to upgrade it too.

Completed the game earlier on Survivor NG+. It was much easier than I thought it would be, giving me less challenging sequences than Uncharted on Crushing.

I absolutely loved playing TLoU on Survivor though, it really felt like a proper survival horror as you scout around for the most basic resource, than more often than not have to decide how to use the item. I always made sure that I had enough Shivs for the locked doors.

I think I got lucky with the Trophies as I no glitchy ones, but I an going back through it again as I didn't upgrade the Flamethrower enough (I actually missed picking it up on my Survivor+ run!).

So, will tackle that and then move onto the online conponent and of course the SP DLC.

I have an uncontrollable craving to play this amazing game again but I lent it to a friend. Watching twitch streams of first playthroughs will do for now I guess :(

tirminyl

Finally beat the game after putting it down for a long time. I've learned that stealth games aren't for me so I dropped it to easy and only stealth killed 1 or 2 to reduce numbers and used a lot of long range attacks. Overall, I really enjoyed it and I loved the story.

Bought the game and played and beat it in the past 2 days. Fucking fantastic game.

Playing a New Game+ on a higher difficulty to find all the collectibles and stuff I missed the first time. This is the first game in a while that as soon as I beat it, immediately wanted to play again. It's that good.

Loved the ending. This game........so many feels. I have no shame in admitting I teared up in the introduction, and I immediately knew this game would be something else.

My jaw dropped multiple times including Sam and Henry's deaths.

And then Ellie vs David....HOLY FUCK she went all out....and when Joel finally got to her I definitely teared up. That music. Him holding her after everything she had gone through combined with the fact she had no idea he was even healthy enough to come find her.

But in the end, I think the scene that gets to me every. single. time is the barn scene after Ellie has run away.

This game was an emotional rollercoaster, filled with some of the best action sequences I've played in a while, with the suspense and music to truly immerse you in this game.

Are we posting unmarked spoilers now?

@ww

1. Don't look up, spoilers abound
2. Hard was fine for me, just remember that you can run away from a lot of battles and find the progression point, and there's no need to play perfectly. The combat is designed to make you adapt and play on the fly

Dice//

Banned
Ok, lol, allow me to put in a good-natured, somewhat off topic plug for the Hippocratic Oath and the Geneva Conventions. :)

As for
David
, yes, I felt that sequence emotionally derailed the story for me.

He is a cannibalistic, sexual predator grooming Ellie to be his next victim. As part of that, Ellie is kept in a cage and forced to watch humans being butchered for meat (In a region with plentiful game and wildlife?) after which David offers her the macabre choice of sexual slavery or being eaten herself. I get that she kills David to survive (however implausible it is, even by the game's own mechanics) but we're supposed to ignore the implications of what Ellie went through during her imprisonment and just return to the main narrative? That's asking alot.

I never really caught on to him as a sexual predator. I felt it, but I felt it was blown up a lot more than was there.
And she was bugged out by the events. She was all quiet at the start of the Spring Chapter when she saw a deer on that highway mural (hunting a deer being what led her to meet David in the first place). She doesn't respond to Joel much till she sees the giraffes again. I'm sure there was more "between the events", but the game likes closing chapters with a bang and opening on, more or less, a whimper.

Are we posting unmarked spoilers now?

@ww

1. Don't look up, spoilers abound
2. Hard was fine for me, just remember that you can run away from a lot of battles and find the progression point, and there's no need to play perfectly. The combat is designed to make you adapt and play on the fly

fixed ;)

I'm doing my first playthrough in Hard mode as recommended, the thing is that I'm dying A LOT (usually when clickers are involved) is that normal? Or I should turn down the difficulty?

I mean...I'm enjoying a lot playing on hard, saving ammo, trying to go stealth etc...but I'm worried that in some parts I'm breaking the immersion of the game by dying over and over again...

For example, with the first clicker encounter I died like 15 times...

I'm doing my first playthrough in Hard mode as recommended, the thing is that I'm dying A LOT (usually when clickers are involved) is that normal? Or I should turn down the difficulty?

I mean...I'm enjoying a lot playing on hard, saving ammo, trying to go stealth etc...but I'm worried that in some parts I'm breaking the immersion of the game by dying over and over again...

I'd persevere. I died around that many times in that first encounter, and it takes a while to gain the instinct for getting yourself into a position where you can beat or escape an alerted clicker, and the instinct for knowing how much noise you're generating

The first clicker encounter was by far the hardest and i died there also several times (played on hard, no listen mode) Once i've figured out they don't see shit and only hear (crouchwalk and don't press the stick all the way) they became a non threat. You can basically walk by them unaffected (you can do that with every enemy in the game except where trigger force you to fight).
If you want to take them out, get a shiv. You can stealthkill them with a shiv(s) and take out whole groups of clickers. If you don't have a shiv, throw a bottle somewhere and they walk right past you and clear the way.

jett

D-Member
Ah damn it, just found out your collectibles aren't backwards compatible. I jumped from normal straight to survivor, and now I'm playing a "breezier" game on hard but my upgrades and shit from my two survivor runs aren't to be found. :/ The fuck, Naughty God.

Also, good lawd this game runs LOUD on my PS3 now, must be cause it's summer here.

iNvid02

Left Behind DLC is now GOLD, confirmed by Bruce Straley on Twitter.

Can't link it right now on mobile.

niice

i'll put the ot up on the 7th feb then

9UoYSkx.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
hahaha

A couple sections of TLoU are the best survival horror I've played in ages.

AKyemeni

Left Behind will include patch with trophies!

"Will the first TLOU DLC get Trophy-Support some day? With all the elements like clan, missions, boosters, weapons, purchasables etc. you could make so many creative trophies." - Lordidude

A: MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBEE. Ok, yes. We have trophies in the upcoming single player DLC, The Last of Us: Left Behind. As for multiplayer trophies in future DLC, that’s still TBD.

http://community.us.playstation.com...ty-Dog-Development-Team-January/td-p/42651753

ksdixon

Guess who just discovered that you can play whichever level you want, on whichever difficulty you want, without overwriting other save data?

The Joel/Ellie fight in the winter lakeside village is absolutely AWESOME on Survivor difficulty! Every single enemy becomes a game of cat and mouse as Joel has little health, and Ellie has little in the way of weapons. Just the tension of it... let alone how much smarter the AI is on Survivor.

I bought Left Behind today, but when I download it, it downloads the dynamic theme instead. I guess I have to wait until it releases to DL?

iNvid02

so OT for the DLC goes up tomorrow, any title suggestions?

canis suggested this: "The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT| The DLC that might win GOTY awards".

i was thinking of what ellie said about her and riley: The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT| Being all poetic and losing our minds together

AKyemeni

so OT for the DLC goes up tomorrow, any title suggestions?

canis suggested this: "The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT| The DLC that might win GOTY awards".

i was thinking of what ellie said about her and riley: The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT| Being all poetic and losing our minds together
The Last of Us: Left Behind [OT] Who needs a Valentine anyway?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
how about:

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT| Exclusive-Downloadable-Content-Experience

iNvid02

DLC release on a Friday.

Store updates on a Tuesday.

Whats going on here?

i think naughty dog have got a slightly different setup for this game, i know they hosted the game download seperate from the usual PSN store. i think the DLC will be obtainable from the DLC section of the main menu come friday

Seanspeed

Banned
..No?

He did what any non-worthless parent would do.
Kill dozens of people that are in good faith simply trying to save humanity?

Yea, I don't know about that.

Anyways, I finished this game a couple weeks ago. Its definitely a great game. I don't think it quite has the same impact on me that it did other people, though. What it does well, it does *very* well. The attention to detail is close to Rockstar levels. Dialogue and voice acting were top notch, even by non-video game standards. And just the general storytelling itself was far beyond what you usually find in a game. Which was very impressive and the one thing I think really pushes this game to feel like something more than your average video game. It raised the bar and I hope that it sets an example for others.

Story itself was fairly generic at its core, though. But getting storytelling right is enough of a push in the right direction for games.

Its also a beautiful game, obviously. I couldn't help but think about how great it'd be to play this at 1080p on a PC and be able to take lossless screenshots as its really the perfect kind of game for that sort of thing.

The combat and most of the general gameplay was more of a mixed bag. On the one hand, I had no idea going into it that it was mostly a stealth game. I'm usually not a fan of big stealth games, but I cant deny that there were definitely a lot of great enemy encounters that got my heartrate going. There is certainly a healthy dose of survival horror to it, which I liked and was helped by great sound design.

The actual combat itself didn't always thrill me. Controls sucked. I know, the aiming was purposefully made to be bad, but that doesn't change the fact that it often made things frustrating til you upgraded this. Lack of enemy variety also hurt the overall experience. After a certain point, it got tiring realizing that I'll be up against the same three types of enemies in rotation for the rest of the game.
The last level has the heavily armed guys but that was a pretty weak and desperately late attempt to change things up
. AI could be very good at times. But this made the times they were completely idiotic all the more jarring. And the fact that they really only notice you for the most part ruined a bit of the tension/immersion when your partner(s) were just running freely in front of them without them noticing.

All in all, I can understand how this game got so much hype. Not sure it *completely* lived up to it for me, but I can appreciate what they did and definitely see it as one of the more important games of last generation and a definite must-play.

heytred

Neo Member
Kill dozens of people that are in good faith simply trying to save humanity?

AI could be very good at times. But this made the times they were completely idiotic all the more jarring. And the fact that they really only notice you for the most part ruined a bit of the tension/immersion when your partner(s) were just running freely in front of them without them noticing.

Although your points are mostly opinion I feel like this is a debatable subject and falls under the "necessary sacrifice" section for the developers. Sure, they could have allowed the AI controlled characters to trigger enemy awareness, but I feel as though the negative impact that would have had on the gameplay far outweighs the loss of immersion - the developers knew this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Although your points are mostly opinion I feel like this is a debatable subject and falls under the "necessary sacrifice" section for the developers. Sure, they could have allowed the AI controlled characters to trigger enemy awareness, but I feel as though the negative impact that would have had on the gameplay far outweighs the loss of immersion - the developers knew this.
Doesn't make it any less of a flaw.

To do it right would have necessitated some other sort of system, obviously, whether it be partner behaviour or enemy behaviour. Or a completely different thinking behind how you escort companions(like, by having them stay back or having to order them to hide in certain spots or something). What they chose to do was a compromise that involved a very blatant immersion-breaking flaw. Just calling it like it is.

Tenrius

Finished the game today. I had very high expectations and it lived up to them. Utterly great stuff. My only complaints were some badly placed checkpoints towards the final (that tunnel with two bloaters, for example) and also constant instances of "boost me up" and "bring that ladder", the way they were done broke the immersion for me a bit. Otherwise, it was all terrific — the exposition, the attention to details, the story. The combat was very satisfying with a great blend of action and stealth, if not very diverse.

Couple of thoughts about the ending.

I think it's interesting to note that we were never actually shown if Tommy's town was still intact by the end of the game. I was half-expecting ruins to be there, to be quite honest. Also, I don't think Ellie believed Joel.

I also found it hilarious how nobody ever said the Z-word throughout the whole game. Even if they are not actual zombies, it's a very obvious analogy. I guess zombie lore just does not exist in the TLoU universe or something.

ascii42

I also found it hilarious how nobody ever said the Z-word throughout the whole game. Even if they are not actual zombies, it's a very obvious analogy. I guess zombie lore just does not exist in the TLoU universe or something.

The "Z-word" isn't used in many zombie games or movies that I can think of. Zombieland and Resident Evil are the only two that come to mind.

I think it's interesting to note that we were never actually shown if Tommy's town was still intact by the end of the game. I was half-expecting ruins to be there, to be quite honest. Also, I don't think Ellie believed Joel.

I agree with you, I don't think she did either. That's what makes it so beautiful in a way and thought provoking; Ellie had finally found someone who stuck with her through thick and thin, and I feel as though she was willing to overlook his lie for the sake of not being alone.

Man I love this game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I agree with you, I don't think she did either. That's what makes it so beautiful in a way and thought provoking; Ellie had finally found someone who stuck with her through thick and thin, and I feel as though she was willing to overlook his lie for the sake of not being alone.

Man I love this game.
I guess we're still spoilerating stuff?

I think you're right, but it's
more than just not being alone. Ellie is suffering from severe survivor's guilt and hasn't begun to process it, and on some level absolutely feels like she deserves to die and knows she would have if she wasn't with Joel. Her accepting the lie is accepting the there's some reason she deserves to live even if she can't understand it- and she really can't. She's wise beyond her years but she's still just a goddamn kid.

I could talk about this for hours. I rewatched tons of clips and read script excerpts and shit. It was executed so deftly and with so much subtlety that despite continuous accusations of the story being very simplistic at its core, I found it richer than plenty of books and films broaching the same issues.

Here's an example. So toward the latter quarter of the game
Ellie recounts this dream.
I wish I could just embed this here but for the sake of spoiler stuff I'll just link it: clickhere

Okay so the plane is humanity. It's all going down, and there's no one who can save us. Except in her subconscious, she knows that somehow she's meant to be the one to do it. But she doesn't understand how. How could she reasonably be expected to fly a plane? She's just a kid. Somehow, the world is counting on her to make everything better. Is that really okay to expect? But what really sealed this moment for me is how she ends the retelling:

"I've never been on a plane. Isn't that weird?"

No kidding, she's never been on a plane. At this moment we're reminded that she didn't just come from a family that didn't get to vacation much. She's never been on a plane because, well, fuck, has a commercial airport even operated anywhere in the country since she was born? She knows about airplanes and how the pilot is in charge of the safety of the passengers from reading about them. Maybe seeing a movie or two. But they might as well be myth to her. It's not just that she hasn't had a full life yet, she hasn't even had a 14-year-old's full life yet, at least not the way we think about it.

This was the moment at which I made my final decision on the one obvious thing everyone who plays will have to ask themselves... should Ellie have been sacrificed to make a cure? You can offer your brain as many permutations as you like- how much of a sure thing is the cure, will it stay in the right hands, if she hadn't been unconscious and could have chosen it would it be okay, etc.- but ultimately you have to decide: if killing an innocent child could stop the spread of a deadly disease, would it be right? And I just come down on the "no" side. She doesn't even yet have the capacity to make the decision herself even if was up to her, even presented with the full truth she doesn't have. She didn't choose to be immune, but she is. She hasn't done anything that means she deserves to die be it for good reasons or bad ones. She deserves the chance to live.

Joel knows that, and she might even know it too, but she can't possibly express it. That's what was contained in her "okay" in response to his lie, as I read it.

Yeah I love this game too. I see some David encounter talk a while back and I could easily nerd out on that too among many other moments...

Top Bottom