• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS4 remaster - direct screengrabs *spoilers*

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm a big fan of RaD games and ND, but this game does not play better than The Order: 1886.

Yo great argument bro.
God what a useless post. And you are also being very stubborn. Why wont you believe that kzsf or iss are graphically superior to tlour?

I am not talking about fps here, I am talking about techniques used, polygons rendered etc. KZSF and ISS clearly look better.

K.N.W.

This thread feels old.... I'm tired of screenshot comparisons between a game's 1080p ps4 adaptation and a lower-res version!!!

So... some people are saying that this remaster looks better than Shadow Fall or Second Son.
I guess it sums up very well the tendentious views that this game receives, mainly because of it's quality which is not in question.

delta25

Banned
Yo great argument bro.
God what a useless post. And you are also being very stubborn. Why wont you believe that kzsf or iss are graphically superior to tlour?

I am not talking about fps here, I am talking about techniques used, polygons rendered etc. KZSF and ISS clearly look better.

from a technical standpoint absolutely, but if were looking at this subjectively based on art preference, design, atmosphere etc. Lundz has every right to think TLoU is better looking.

Gurish

So... some people are saying that this remaster looks better than Shadow Fall or Second Son.
I guess it sums up very well the tendentious views that this game receives, mainly because of it's quality which is not in question.

Nobody claimed that besides the Streamer who owns all of those games.
The debate here is about if it's a legitimate opinion or not.

x-Lundz-x

Yo great argument bro.

Your argument is about as useless as mine considering you nor I have seen it or played it yet. That's my whole point. And honestly, if there is any developer that can make the best looking games on Sony hardware it's ND. That's a fact.

Lund, the screenshots and videos of the game out there right now are not a trick. Even at 60fps (something that plenty people have seen and can reasonably imagine), the game is not going to suddenly look significantly different in person. It's a completely different question than judging the gameplay of an unfinished game where nobody has seen that much gameplay.

Shin-Ra

Full-res particles on PS4, looks like it might be as low as 1/8 res on PS3?

iAB8XjrdJdeHu.png
ivQ4Ar48kuTmH.png

ib0HkE4mOYSUlW.png

ibmBpotGksOi7G.png

MMaRsu

Banned
from a technical standpoint absolutely, but if were looking at this subjectively based on art preference, design, atmosphere etc. Lundz has every right to think TLoU is better looking.

I agree but from a tech standpoint this is not the best looking ps4 game

x-Lundz-x

Lund, the screenshots and videos of the game out there right now are not a trick. Even at 60fps (something that plenty people have seen and can reasonably imagine), the game is not going to suddenly look significantly different in person. It's a completely different question than judging the gameplay of an unfinished game where nobody has seen that much gameplay.

I agree, and I'm not saying it does look better, not until I play it on the 29th. My whole point is I hate arguments when people try and state things as fact when they have not even played it yet. And even then it's still subjective, there is a lot more to things when considering how good a game looks besides its polygon count. That's just what I'm saying.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
didn't he actually mention that he felt this was the nicest looking game on the PS4?
That was my point.

The only person that actually played all of the three games in question thinks the most impressive looking game is The Last of Us Remastered.

Maybe he values state of the art animations? Killzone certainly doesn't even try to compete in that area. Who knows?
All we know, he isn't basing this on screenshots but on actually playing the game.

This doesn't mean MMarSu has to feel this way when he plays it (if he plays it) but this is the usual "the reviewer is wrong even though there is an information asymmetry."

x-Lundz-x

Err, doesn't that mess cost $119.99 for 2yrs? Not really a deal for everyone then...

Yeah, but it goes on sale for 60 bucks all the time. I missed it last time but when it happens again I'm all over it. For 60 bucks it's a no brainer. My buddy has it down to where he is basically paying 10-15 bucks for every game he buys. With the discounts and the trading in the game as soon as he beats it it turns out to be an amazing value.

The dude that took the shot already said it's a direct feed taken by a capture card so you are wrong in remembering how the game looked on PS3, it was blurry as hell and had some bad textures and average IQ at best.

Yeah, I got that. What I also got was that his screenshot was really blurry compared to all other screenshots I've seen for the game running on PS3. I linked 8 screenshots for the game, and they all had much better IQ and you can still see the details in far off textures. They're also all from the PS3.

So no, I'm not wrong in how I remember how it looked since it looked as good as it did in those 8 screenshots. Maybe it's the way my TV is calibrated.

Nobody claimed that besides the Streamer who owns all of those games.
The debate here is about if it's a legitimate opinion or not.

Well there isn't exactly legitimate or non-legitimate opinions, but I honestly can't see in which universe this Remaster looks better than the games I mencioned.

The visuals/art could be more or less appealing to each person, and that's ambiguity which I obviously respect, but graphically and technically this remaster isn't any better.

And if the Streamer is the only person capable to judge the game then can't see the point of the comparison screenshots and all this discussion.

benny_a

And if the Streamer is the only person capable to judge the game then can't see the point of the comparison screenshots and all this discussion.
Nobody said he is the only one. But he obviously has way better information than you or I to base his opinion of, don't you agree?

Have to remember iss is an open world game. It takes a hit graphically because of that. Im sure that when people say tlour looks better then those 2 games its like last year when people harped about the ps3 versions graphics, which aside from the character models werent all that spectacular. Still people acted like it was the pinnacle of graphics in a game so far.

Nobody said he is the only one. But he obviously has way better information than you or I to base his opinion of, don't you agree?

The only information he has, that non of us can't judge, is how the game looks running at 60FPS
But graphically we all have seen how the game looks, and comparing to, for example, Second Son this remaster is clearly inferior.

benny_a

The only information he has, that non of us can't judge, is how the game looks running at 60FPS
All you have access to are screenshots from the first fifteen minutes of the game and some cinematics.
He has played the first 2 hour of the game at this point.
You can describe this as a small difference by calling it "the only information" he has access to that you don't, but usually in a video game setting having the game vs. not having the game is significant.

But graphically we all have seen how the game looks, and comparing to, for example, Second Son this remaster is clearly inferior.
That's just an assertion. An assertion the streamer disagrees with.

Gurish

Yeah, I got that. What I also got was that his screenshot was really blurry compared to all other screenshots I've seen for the game running on PS3. I linked 8 screenshots for the game, and they all had much better IQ and you can still see the details in far off textures. They're also all from the PS3.

So no, I'm not wrong in how I remember how it looked since it looked as good as it did in those 8 screenshots. Maybe it's the way my TV is calibrated.

Sorry but I've also played and finished the game and it did look like that grab, here some other examples of direct captures from PS3 in this thread:
ilJWTgoLSsaz9.png

gpOFSo3.jpg

So yea, the game looked better in some areas (prologue for example had a great IQ), worse in others, but generally IQ wasn't so hot and textures were often quite blurry, maybe when you played it on your TV from a certain distance you couldn't notice it, but this is what the PS3 actually renders, if you weren't too sensitive for that for whatever reason you are lucky but that doesn't mean PS3 version had a good IQ.

The fact that people "aren't that impressed" with this remaster just goes to show you how amazing the PS3 version still looks. All it needed was the bump to 1080p and some clearer textures to make it look truly outstanding, and now it does.

I also wouldn't use the cutscenes to compare. As everyone should know, the cutscenes are prerendered, so any direct feeds will also capture the video compression. Add that to any possible compression you may get from saving it as a jpeg and it's not a good comparison.

That's funny.
Great arguments there, man. You sure added to the conversation! smh

Infamous and KZSF look better than these screens, though I'm not really sure why that's important at all, or why it's being argued. TLOUR looks gorgeous, even if it's obvious that it's a REMASTER (holy shit) of a PS3 game.

Bundy

Banned
Great arguments there, man. You sure added to the conversation! smh

Infamous and KZSF look better than these screens, though I'm not really sure why that's important at all, or why it's being argued. TLOUR looks gorgeous, even if it's obvious that it's a REMASTER (holy shit) of a PS3 game.

Yup! And seeing it in motion in 1080p with 60fps = god-like ^_^

This shit plain doesn't make sense.

The method people use to upscale their PS3 images to 1080p probably differs from the TV's we're playing on but the washed out/crushed black screenshots people are taking are more misleading than the upscale jobs.

All I'm saying is that an image that is stretched looks much worse on a PC monitor than it does on a TV. Playing a game at 720P on a 1080P monitor will look awful, but okay on a TV.
How doesn't that make sense?

Image quality is considerably better. I really don't get what people were expecting

People were shown blatant downsamples recently in another thread. Anyone who actually thought that was real-time image quality on the PS4 are probably shocked the game actually does have aliasing.

EDIT: Wow. I clicked on this thread way earlier in the day but never read it. Just now realized its 23 pages long. Lol.

All you have access to are screenshots from the first fifteen minutes of the game and some cinematics.
He has played the first 2 hour of the game at this point.
You can describe this as a small difference by calling it "the only information" he has access to that you don't, but usually in a video game setting having the game vs. not having the game is significant.

That's just an assertion. An assertion the streamer disagrees with.

Agree, but the amount of screenshots in game we've seen, at least for me, establishes a good base to what expect from the game and we can agree that the game will not look better than we've seen.
The only point which all of us can't form any kind of opinion is the frame rate.

But I don't wanna look arrogant implying that my opinion is the only valid. The Streamer has his opinion, I respect. But from what I've seen I entirely disagree.

Shin-Ra

All I'm saying is that an image that is stretched looks much worse on a PC monitor than it does on a TV. Playing a game at 720P on a 1080P monitor will look awful, but okay on a TV.
How doesn't that make sense?
720p looks shit upscaled on most..nearly all 1080p TV's. More so LCD than Plasma or CRT.

Pre-upscaling a 720p image so people don't have to do it themselves and get an inconsistent comparison depending on the software or OS they use isn't misleading unless they do an especially bad job of it.

'Preview' in OSX Mavericks for example does a poor job upscaling and after you initially hit the fullscreen button, if you keep cycling through the images they show windowboxed instead.

benny_a

But I don't wanna look arrogant implying that my opinion is the only valid. The Streamer has his opinion, I respect. But from what I've seen I entirely disagree.
That is absolutely fair. I just wanted to make the point that he is basing it on better access than any of us.

timshundo

"These are PS3 screens, BS!" You guys always have the worst memory when it comes to graphics quality. If you tried a bit harder I swear you could convince yourself that games have looked the same since PS2 days. And you forget to follow the rules. 1) Don't compare 720p images to 1080p images without first upscaling the 720p because thats how they're ultimately viewed on a screen. 2) Remember you're basing your opinions on static images. Don't forget that the console reproduces that screen 60 times in one second. Screenshots never look impressive unless carefully selected and primed by marketing.

Where are we on getting that full-rez 60fps gameplay video?

Winter John

"These are PS3 screens, BS!" You guys always have the worst memory when it comes to graphics quality. If you tried a bit harder I swear you could convince yourself that games have looked the same since PS2 days. And you forget to follow the rules. 1) Don't compare 720p images to 1080p images without first upscaling the 720p because thats how they're ultimately viewed on a screen. 2) Remember you're basing your opinions on static images. Don't forget that the console reproduces that screen 60 times in one second. Screenshots never look impressive unless carefully selected and primed by marketing.

Where are we on getting that full-rez 60fps gameplay video?

Come on now son, be reasonable, We've got 60fps cut scenes and more beards than a Barbara Streisand concert, that's got to be worth 60 of your earth bucks

I want to see how this area looks like in comparison. The massive increase in IQ alone should help a lot.

ND games always knew where to put the detail where it mattered most, so a lot of background and mundane stuff got the muddiest textures. Hopefully the remake equalises the difference between the high quality and lower quality textures.

Top Bottom