• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered censored in all countries in Europe

jimi_dini

That's baffling and means there is literally no reason why the game is censored elsewhere in Europe (even Germany is arguable).

Yeah.

They started with this shitty multiple-SKUs in Europe thing years ago and try to force customers to buy it in their own country and not import it from UK. Which makes this whole situation even more insane.

If I remember correctly - Uncharted 1 was multilingual (like Nintendo releases, even had multiple dubs, I think it even included Japanese). Uncharted 2+3, etc. had country specific SKUs.

Maybe Sony's thought was: "Wait, if we release it censored in Germany, but uncensored everywhere else, German players will import the game and we will have less sales in Germany and even get less money because the game is cheaper in UK, so let's fucking censor it everywhere - for the players".

I used to get upset because Nintendo Limited Editions had that f'ugly USK sticker. But at least that makes a bit of sense. Nintendo simply releases only one Limited Edition SKU in Europe.

I'll likely just stick with the European version since it doesn't sound like anything I'll miss terribly and it'll be cheaper.

Looking forward to it though; didn't play the original.

jimi_dini

It's the NTSC version. It's stated on the page:

Please note: this is the NTSC version of the game which is compatible with PAL systems.
Any future DLC may require a US PSN account.

Why would this site sell a US version of the game, especially as preorder? I wouldn't trust that information. It's a shop from UK.

I asked them a few months ago, which version of a Wii game (Go Vacation) they were selling. They said that it would be a UK copy and instead I received an import copy from Australia.

How does that work exactly? I mean, I have to make up a fake address, but I'm paying it with a debit card that's assigned to a different address. Or can I just buy it as a gift to the made-up US resident? These might be stupid questions, but I've never done this before. =)

If you want to buy something from a different country you have to use a PSN Card to put funds in your account.
You can't use a Credit Card, Paypal or anything else unless it is from the same country as the account.

You can easily buy a US PSN Card from Amazon.com. You just have to use a fake US delivery adress, which isn't a problem since it is a digital code anyway.

SJRB

Gold Member
That kinda sucks, because now I'm forced to buy the US PSN version. But on the upside 45 USD is way cheaper than 45 Euros, so in the end I win after all.

It's 2014 for fucks sake, censorship needs to stop.

takoyaki

I'm German. Our ratings system for games is stupid and I've always hated it with a passion.

Having said that, it is what it is and developers/publishers know that. They have 3 options:

1 release the game uncensored but without a rating by the German rating agency (USK) (Sony and MS don't do it for image reasons and it can lead to less sales)

2 release a separate SKU for Germany (this prevents German laws being pushed on other European countries)

3 release one SKU for all of Europe (less work, more money)

Most devs/publishers have been going with the second option. Sony's decision to to go with option 3 is a monetary one. They want to sell as many copies in Europe as they can without spending more money than necessary. They did the same thing with the last God of War game.

I'd say that 90% of developers who need to make changes to their game go with the second option. Ten years ago, that meant: No blood, No mutilation, sometimes robots instead of human enemies, changed story-lines, etc. It's gotten a lot better since than, in most cases it's little nips and tucks and most "Mature" games are released uncensored nowadays.

Having said that, there are still 2 hot button issues. Nazi symbols and gruesome violence in multiplayer:

The Nazi thing is not meant to pretend like there never was a WW2 and "Germany is so great you guys"; it's actually meant to prevent kids from thinking of anything Nazi as "cool". This comes from a time when games were still considered toys and you might remember the outrage in America over the swastika on that Pokemon Card that actually was a Buddhist Temple sign. Games have gotten a lot more complex in the last 20 years and it's time that Germany politicians view games the same way they view movies, not toys. But right now, they don't. That's why Ubi/Obsidian removed the Nazi stuff from South Park (but only in the German version, not all of Europe => option2).

Violence in multiplayer games is another remnant of the past. I think the reasoning behind it comes from a time when people thought games might make you aggressive/violent and they were afraid of little Klaus killing little Fritz after loosing to him in Mortal Kombat. This issue will go away by itself, countless studies have disproved the link between violence and games.

You can argue for absolutely no censorship of art. I've been doing this for the better part of my life, especially when it comes to games which most Germans would now consider art right now. But sometimes, things are a bit more complicated and at the very least, the German ratings system has gotten a lot more reasonable over the last decade. Their ratings are less arbitrary than they used to be and the two remaining issues will sort themselves out over the next decade, I'm sure of it.

I always feel bad when I see stupid/archaic German laws affecting other countries. This brings me back to Sony: they know the current situation; they had 3 options; they chose to save money and go with option 3. simple as that.

Melchiah

If you want to buy something from a different country you have to use a PSN Card to put funds in your account.
You can't use a Credit Card, Paypal or anything else unless it is from the same country as the account.

You can easily buy a US PSN Card from Amazon.com. You just have to use a fake US delivery adress, which isn't a problem since it is a digital code anyway.

Yeah, the Amazon part was a mystery to me, but I can buy the US PSN card from Amazon as a European, and set it to deliver to a made-up US address?

Hanmik

here is an example of the censorship in the PS3 version...

xmf0w1gndsvb.gif

you can probably guess what version is the US and what is EU..

People asked what would happen if you import the US Remastered version.. that´s tough to answer, but it was not easy on the PS3.. here is another person´s report on this.

Having both versions, I also can give some advice for those players in Europe/Australia who are looking to import the U.S. version:

•Single Player save games are region locked. The disc creates a "unique" save file for each region (not cross-compatible). (Ouch!)
•All DLC is region locked. You will need to repurchase DLC for each region separately.
•Online Pass is also region locked. Eg. For the U.S. version of the game, only the U.S. PSN store's Online Pass works.

Seems like a lot of hassle and inconvenience; And it is!!! I guess this serves as a warning: if you wish to play The Last of Us Uncut avoid the Europe/Australia version from the start. I wish Sony and Naughty Dog would have warned us. My plan is to finish Single Player playthroughs with the Europe version, and play any multiplayer with the U.S. Although ultimately,

-I have no idea whether a PS4 save file is region locked.. so I can´t say if that is a problem on PS4.
- DLC doesn´t seem to be region locked on PS4, but you never know. And there probably would be some problems if you have a season pass or DLC from you PS3 version you want to use on PS4.. so this might be a problem if you import.
- Online passes are gone, so no need to worry about that.,..

I personally think an import is not worth it.. it´s only some overthetop gore that is missing. We are talking about animations that take a second or two. But if that is your thing, then go ahead and import it..

I never noticed the gore missing, and I had a blast with the PS3 MP.

RudoIudo

Why would this site sell a US version of the game, especially as preorder? I wouldn't trust that information. It's a shop from UK.

I asked them a few months ago, which version of a Wii game (Go Vacation) they were selling. They said that it would be a UK copy and instead I received an import copy from Australia.
Well they also have two (dayone and normal) PALuk versions of the game in different pages.

Also technically Australia is PAL so there are literally no differences between a PAL-uk and PAL-Aus version of a game (beside the " australian version" line in the cover).

Bittercup

[...]
People asked what would happen if you import the US Remastered version.. that´s tough to answer, but it was not easy on the PS3.. here is another person´s report on this.
[...]
That sounds worse that it actually is (and was pretty much standard for PS3 games at least in regard to DLC).

Save games aren't really 'region locked'. It's only if you buy one version of the game from one region and then the same game from another region save files are not always compatible.
If you just buy the US version there is no problem at all.

For DLCs, this was pretty much standard on the PS3. You need to buy from the same region as the game disc/download. If you are buying the US version on the US PSN it's not really any hassle to buy DLC there as well (or create an US account if you buy an US disc). And normally this only affects buying. You can play DLC afterwards with your main account as well.
(I don't know if this is still necessary on the PS4)

Hanmik

That sounds worse that it actually is (and was pretty much standard for PS3 games at least in regard to DLC).

Save games aren't really 'region locked'. It's only if you buy one version of the game from one region and then the same game from another region save files are not always compatible.
If you just buy the US version there is no problem at all.

For DLCs, this was pretty much standard on the PS3. You need to buy from the same region as the game disc/download. If you are buying the US version on the US PSN it's not really any hassle to buy DLC there as well (or create an US account if you buy an US disc). And normally this only affects buying. You can play DLC afterwards with your main account as well.
(I don't know if this is still necessary on the PS4)

By region locked I meant - You can´t first play the EU version and then continue on the US version. (on ps3 that is)

sorry for that..

For DLC - If you have a EU account where you bought a season pass and some DLC, then I´m not sure you will be able to use that with the US PS4 version.

Bittercup

By region locked I meant - You can´t first play the EU version and then continue on the US version. (on ps3 that is)

sorry for that..

For DLC - If you have a EU account where you bought a season pass and some DLC, then I´m not sure you will be able to use that with the US PS4 version.
Yes I understand :) I just meant that those are problems that can easily be avoided. There is no reason to buy the game twice so you won't have any save problems in the first place and just make sure to buy the correct DLC so there won't be any incompatibilities either.
If you know about those cuts and rather buy the US version I don't see any big problems in the way why you shouldn't.

Melchiah

-I have no idea whether a PS4 save file is region locked.. so I can´t say if that is a problem on PS4.

I personally think an import is not worth it.. it´s only some overthetop gore that is missing. We are talking about animations that take a second or two. But if that is your thing, then go ahead and import it.

It really seems like a lot of hassle, but I just don't want to buy the censored version on a pure principle. This is coming from someone, who hunted uncut horror movies on VHS in the early 90's. It was the holy grail to get the totally uncut version. I won't probably even play the MP this time either, unless one of the planned additions is a horde mode, it just annoys me to no end to be stuck with the cut version.

The region locked save files may force me to stick with the butchered local edition though. =/
EDIT: Ah, It's not that big a problem with the save files.

Nokterian

Yeah, the Amazon part was a mystery to me, but I can buy the US PSN card from Amazon as a European, and set it to deliver to a made-up US address?

The PSN Pre paid card is a digital one with a code that you can add to your digital psn wallet. It will appear in your e-mail and on your amazon account just like Steam games. I have done this dozen of times with steam games and works perfect got a false address and having my CC on there also.

Melchiah

The PSN Pre paid card is a digital one with a code that you can add to your digital psn wallet. It will appear in your e-mail and on your amazon account just like Steam games. I have done this dozen of times with steam games and works perfect got a false address and having my CC on there also.

Thanks for the clarification.

jimi_dini

Also technically Australia is PAL so there are literally no differences between a PAL-uk and PAL-Aus version of a game (beside the " australian version" line in the cover).

When I ask customer service about the exact version they are selling (I actually asked them if it's UK, Australia or some other country) and they are lying to me, then it's a shitty company.

And I'm also not so sure if Australian Club Nintendo cards are supposed to work, when entered into one of the European Club Nintendo sites. The one included with Go Vacation (Australia) didn't. Nintendo was nice enough to give me a brand new code, but they wouldn't have needed to.

The Australian Club Nintendo cards even look completely different than the European Club Nintendo cards.

Yes. Currently the PS4, PS3 and Xbox One are completely region free except for one game (Persona 4 Arena normal version for PS3). Do not try playing US games on any other consoles though.

Thank you dude! I am going to order the US version right away, anyone know of a decent site I could get it from please? (UK shipping)

funkypie

Banned

sorry for that..

You had me slightly worried then I thought that can't be right lol.

Stop EU member countries from passing censorship laws.

In the US, video games are protected free speech.

So that's why GTA San Andreas was taken off store shelves after they found out that the main character has consensual sex with his girlfriends and The Witcher was originally censored...

It's Sony's fault. If Wolfenstein can get its own separate German version for their needs while my country will get it uncensored, why can't Sony do it?

Mr Rivuz

Maybe it's a silly question, but if i buy the us version would i be able to play with my friends who got a pal version?
And do i need a us psn account to download updates and patches (not talking about dlcs)?

Relly

Banned
Damn, it must suck being a gamer in Europe.

That gif comparison tells it all. I like my games uncensored thank you very much.

Being able to see someone's head blown off is fucking awesome. Gore is lacking in games

I never intended to buy the remaster at day one, but now it seems like I'll skip it completely. Hopefully they won't do this with TLOU2.

Really? Seems like a kind of petty reason to miss out on one of the best received games of recent years. I didn't even realise the multiplayer was censored until I joined here and I never found myself wishing for more gore.

Shutts

Neo Member
For those people wanting to get the digital US version and can't get PSN cards from Amazon.com (like me).

I bought my PSN card from Off Gamers. The price of a $50 PSN card is pretty much face value at £30.66 (inc transaction fee).

Gong

For those people wanting to get the digital US version and can't get PSN cards from Amazon.com (like me).

I bought my PSN card from Off Gamers. The price of a $50 PSN card is pretty much face value at £30.66 (inc transaction fee).

Thanks I might just do this. Not because of the censorship issue (although that's massively disappointing), more that I can get it cheap and it's on my HDD whenever I want to dip into either single and multiplayer :)

420bits

To buy US-psn cards from amazon,
1. Buy a giftcard for value X with your regular address.
2. Add giftcard to your account
3. Buy PSN-cards and use some US-shippingadress and have them in your mailbox a few min later.
4. Profit

Source: Been doing it for myself since US-PSN stopped accepting my EU-Visa. 0 hickups and I use some random hotel-address in Connecticut.

Nibel

Really? Seems like a kind of petty reason to miss out on one of the best received games of recent years. I didn't even realise the multiplayer was censored until I joined here and I never found myself wishing for more gore.

I platinum'd the original on PS3 and expected a definitive version for PS4 for everybody, but it seems I have to pick up the US version some time down the road.

jimi_dini

It's Sony's fault. If Wolfenstein can get its own separate German version for their needs while my country will get it uncensored, why can't Sony do it?

I will say it again - Last Of Us on PS3 actually had multiple SKUs in Europe. Sony intentionally censored all of them.

Last Of Us UK - BCES-01585 - Languages: English, Polnish, Russian
http://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=71242

Last Of Us Germany - BCES-01584 - Languages: English, German, French, Italian, Portugese, Spanish
http://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=71145

They could have easily removed the censorship from the UK version, because it's a separate version. They could have also just released a 3rd SKU for Germany. They didn't give a shit, that's why I also don't give a shit about this game.

If people really have to play it, just import the US version. That will show Sony that this shit doesn't fly.

People should just boycott the European version then. If the PS4 version sells horribly in Europe, perhaps then they'll learn their lesson.

Think we knew this alreadly. Going off the giant tlou thread nearly every EU gaffer seems to be getting the us version.

Why are you blaming Sony? It is Germany causing the problems.

This is one of life's mysteries to me at the moment. Germany gets just about everything right these days. But this...damn...Dear Angela Merkel...wtf? Just because the NSA is tapping your phone doesnt mean u should take out your frustration on your fellow EU citizens by ruining their fun...:)~

Top Bottom