• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

desmax

Continued disappointment. With FC, SC and also Corpse Party, are japanese PC games that hard to localize? Or is it that XSEED are understaffed?

The Trails series is cursed in the west

Some evil spirit do not want us to enjoy these games

Psxphile

There is some bad news apparently.

giphy.gif

Oh wait, you're not Wyrdwad/Wydward/Wardwyd. Crisis avert--

It's probably legit. Last I heard we were still on track for this summer, but I'm not actually on the project -- I've been working almost solely on Corpse Party: Blood Drive and Return to PopoloCrois, with a little touch-up work thrown in on Earth Defense Force 4.1 for good measure. I knew we were at risk of getting pushed back beyond the summer, but I didn't think that was definite just yet. It may still not be -- it may just be that whoever posted that on Facebook was indicating a worst case scenario, with the idea being that it's better to pleasantly surprise people if we get it done quicker than disappoint them if it gets delayed more -- but I'm sure that wouldn't have been posted if it weren't at least pretty likely.

Apologies if I got anyone's hopes up!

-Tom

zAC05QL.gif

EDIT: ugh, I'm dreading when this news hits Gaming side. I'm expecting varying degrees of:
"Xseed was a mistake. It's nothing but trash."

Terxus

Neo Member
I'm fine with that, I want SC and then 2-3 months at least before Cold Steel, gimme some time to play it.... twice!

Or SC gets pushed again.
I don't think that falcom would be ok with delaying cold steel, I'm sure this would also lead to a delay of Cold Steel 2 and the PS3/Vita don't get younger.

Releasing both of them at the same time would be weird as well though, if they plan to give each game some time to breathe I can see October/November for Cold Steel and December/January for SC happening.

Eila

SC has been in QA for a long time. It's a programming/bug fixing issue now and Sara is their only programmer.

I know and that bugs me. If they have so many problems with the PC ports, why not hire more programmers? It's hard to make profits from the PC market if you don't release your games. Honestly, it just deflates the hype to see them taking so long.

FLD

Oh well, at least I don't really care at this point. I'm still hyped as hell for it but we're sadly past my ideal window for a summer release. It couldn't possibly release soon enough for me to be able to clear it before the Fall semester starts, which just so happens to coincide with MGSV as well. And I'm taking a full course load, so there's no way I'll have the time for a game of SC's length.

I kind of doubt Cold Steel makes 2015 now.

Honestly, that wouldn't bother me at all. I would almost prefer it, even. I was most likely going to buy Cold Steel and not touch it until Christmas break. So, if it gets pushed to 2016, I can have SC be my Christmas break game and I won't have to worry about CS just yet.

It honestly depends on how much Falcom is pushing them into getting CS out the gate and what exactly is riding on it's timely release. They could be so unhappy with the SC situation that CS is a way for them to create some goodwill and them actually showing that they can bring a game that big out on time, would help with deciding who gets more of their games for localization.

I have no doubt that if it came between CS or SC making it out this year and the other one getting pushed into next, that we would end up seeing CS this year.

It honestly depends on how much Falcom is pushing them into getting CS out the gate and what exactly is riding on it's timely release. They could be so unhappy with the SC situation that CS is a way for them to create some lost goodwill and them actually showing that they can bring a game that big out on time, would help with deciding who gets more of their games for localization.

I have no doubt that if it came between CS or SC making it out this year and the other one getting pushed into next, that we would end up seeing CS this year.

This is a good point, but with the way they have been coy with Cold Steel's release date suggests to me that 2015 isn't a hard deadline set by Falcom.

Gu4n

I'm convinced that will be the case.
They won't do that. They know very well how SC and Cold Steel are related as sequels, and will do whatever it takes to get SC out before Cold Steel. Whether we'll be able to play through SC before Cold Steel hits is another story.

I know and that bugs me. If they have so many problems with the PC ports, why not hire more programmers? It's hard to make profits from the PC market if you don't release your games. Honestly, it just deflates the hype to see them taking so long.

One, Sara is one in a million when it comes to programming of this sort. It's not easy finding people with her talents.

Two, as people in the software industry are fond of saying, two women can't make a baby faster than one.

One, Sara is one in a million when it comes to programming of this sort. It's not easy finding people with her talents.

Two, as people in the software industry are fond of saying, two women can't make a baby faster than one.

That's a great quote I think I'm gonna use it as there are many situations where it's accurate

They won't do that. They know very well how SC and Cold Steel are related as sequels, and will do whatever it takes to get SC out before Cold Steel. Whether we'll be able to play through SC before Cold Steel hits is another story.

The alternative would be delaying Cold Steel because of SC and I doubt they'd do that.
SC's situation is bad enough as it is, letting it interfere with the release schedule of other games would just add insult to injury.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Tom said CS' release date is "less flexible" than SC, delaying that probably isn't an option. He also said SC will come first, even if they have to release it with some lingering bugs.

Aeana

In what way would it be less flexible? I don't get it.

Because Falcom is very concerned with catching up the global market with the current state of the series. They want Cold Steel out immediately so Cold Steel 2 can get out next. They were the ones who asked XSEED to work on Cold Steel and prioritize it to begin with.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In what way would it be less flexible? I don't get it.

They probably agreed to get the game out this year or by a certain date when they licensed it. SC taking forever may have played a part, but since Falcom was the one who engaged XSEED about localizing CS/CS2, they probably wanted to make sure the games would come out while the platforms were still somewhat relevant.

XSEED Games ‏@XSEEDGames · 56m56 minutes ago
Good morning, all! You guys said you wanted a blog on Trails in the Sky SC, so look forward to that later this week.

Getting a blog post for SC later this week it seems, so hopefully that will clear some things up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Didn't see it going any other way, really. Cold Steel appears to be moving at a rather healthy pace, and none of their other games (except for Corpse Party PC) have had such a public, rocky dev cycle.

Hope this post lets them get some good steam off their chest about it all, and hopefully gives some answers which let fans understand why things have gone so badly up to this point.

wrowa

NISA reconfirmed a Fall 2015 date for Cold Steel at gamescom, so I don't think that a delay is currently in the cards. We never know what might happen, but it feels like all involved parties want to make sure that Cold Steel will be off to a good, reliable start.

It feels quite awkward right now, though. SC and Cold Steel seem to get in each other's way at this point... but, well, what can you do when SC is still bugged? Release Cold Steel and delay SC a couple months further? I'd assume I'm not the only one who'd be rather unhappy with such a decision.

(For clarification, NISA publishes Cold Steel in Europe)

aravuus

First blog post: "Hey fans! We regret to inform you that TiTS Second Chapter will most likely not be out in 2015, so please get excited for that Q1-Q2 2016 schedule!"

How important is finishing FC and SC before Cold Steel, by the way? I know these games take place in the same world and have tons of references to each other, but I was wondering if SC and CS are directly connected in any way.

First blog post: "Hey fans! We regret to inform you that TiTS Second Chapter will most likely not be out in 2015, so please get excited for that Q1-Q2 2016 schedule!"

How important is finishing FC and SC before Cold Steel, by the way? I know these games take place in the same world and have tons of references to each other, but I was wondering if SC and CS are directly connected in any way.

Depends on if you want to know why a major story element is going on in CS, considering SC begins it.

aravuus

Depends on if you want to know why a major story element is going on in CS, considering SC begins it.

Alright, so pretty much gotta do SC before CS.

Man, I do wish SC will be coming out at least a month or two before CS. FC alone took me like a month (although tbh I wasn't really into the yay adventure stuff the majority of the plot was, so I only played an hour or two most days) and if I recall, SC is even longer.

Knurek

Which will be followed by "SC will not be out in 2016, please be excited for 2017 release" post, and then "Good news, folks, we can finally announce we're sure SC will be done in 2018" and then "Yes, we know Half-Life 3 came out, that's why we hope you won't get mad at us for pushing SC release to 2019".

Aeana

It's not that important to play FC/SC before Cold Steel 1. There's info that FC/SC fill in for Cold Steel, but they can do that after you've played CS just as well as before.
It's important to play all of them to get the full picture, but the order can be a bit fluid.

Shizuka

Probably insofar that Falcom has given them a release window demand less than a "get to it when you can" attitude they may have taken previously.

Because Falcom is very concerned with catching up the global market with the current state of the series. They want Cold Steel out immediately so Cold Steel 2 can get out next. They were the ones who asked XSEED to work on Cold Steel and prioritize it to begin with.

They probably agreed to get the game out this year or by a certain date when they licensed it. SC taking forever may have played a part, but since Falcom was the one who engaged XSEED about localizing CS/CS2, they probably wanted to make sure the games would come out while the platforms were still somewhat relevant.

Falcom wants to make this series relevant, and the PS3/Vita aren't getting younger.

I hope that Sen no Kiseki 3 is a Vita/PS4/
PC
game

Oh, I get it now. Still, weird to read that SC will be released before CS when CS is the one with a strict release date.

max_505

It's not that important to play FC/SC before Cold Steel 1. There's info that FC/SC fill in for Cold Steel, but they can do that after you've played CS just as well as before.
It's important to play all of them to get the full picture, but the order can be a bit fluid.

You know, I kinda want to try that (play CS before SC) out just for the heck of it and report if it's as game breaking as the others say. I'm curious if that's really true or if people are just exaggerating stuff.

If CS gets released before SC, I'll probably do that.

Oh, I get it now. Still, weird to read that SC will be released before CS when CS is the one with a strict release date.

Think it's more of people have been waiting years for SC at this point and if it weren't for FC being released on pc, the series wouldn't be nearly as well known as it is now (considering it bombed on psp because it was unknown and had a late release). People want to see the conclusion to Estelle/Joshua's story after most have likely only played FC.

aravuus

Which will be followed by "SC will not be out in 2016, please be excited for 2017 release" post, and then "Good news, folks, we can finally announce we're sure SC will be done in 2018" and then "Yes, we know Half-Life 3 came out, that's why we hope you won't get mad at us for pushing SC release to 2019".

Hahaha, yeah, gonna be a fun couple of years.

Oh boy, I'm conflicted.

Doing CS before SC could be pretty interesting too.. Well, I guess I'll leave this one to fate (or Xseed) and play them in the order they get released in the west.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I kinda want to try that (play CS before SC) out just for the heck of it and report if it's as game breaking as the others say. I'm curious if that's really true or if people are just exaggerating stuff.

If CS gets released before SC, I'll probably do that.

The two camps I've seen are "every game must be played in order" or "just the individual arcs have to be in order." As long as you aren't playing SC before FC, Ao before Zero, CS2 before CS, you're probably not in bad shape. Not sure where 3rd fits in there.

max_505

The two camps I've seen are "every game must be played in order" or "just the individual arcs have to be in order." As long as you aren't playing SC before FC, Ao before Zero, CS2 before CS, you're probably not in bad shape. Not sure where 3rd fits in there.

Oohhhh nice, if CS comes out first I just might try it then. Still betting that SC gets released first, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oohhhh nice, if CS comes out first I just might try it then. Still betting that SC gets released first, though.

They said SC is coming first even if they have to release it with some remaining bugs.

They also said it was releasing this summer, but I guess we'll see.

Arthea

Every game totally should be played in order, IDK how anyone can question that.
I would very much prefer finishing SC and TC before diving into Steel.

Top Bottom