• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's official, after 40 hours or so of playing I can now say without a doubt that this is, indeed, my favorite video game of all time. I am 36 years old and I have been gaming all of my life, and this is the first time in many years where I feel completely and totally comfortable saying that. It doesn't come lightly from me.

Even though I have been playing so long I have yet to even attempt to go to any of the dungeons. I have done a number of the shrines, enough to have upgraded my stamina twice and then to gain on single additional heart. I don't have any of the clothing upgrades other than the first one you get for warmth and then I've upgraded the top and bottoms I have to the second level of defense.

I'm going to post my quick little story in spoilers just in case anyone doesn't want any details at all, and I have also included a photo I took of the moment it became my favorite game.

Earlier today I was doing just as I have been doing lately, just walking around trying to get to all of the towers. I was on my way to my next one that I had marked and I realized I was somewhat close to the castle. Up to this point I hadn't even gone anywhere close to it, but since it was just a short ways over I decided to head on and just see what it was like.

It was very tough, especially with my character as weak as he is. I almost turned around, but all of a sudden I realized I was really getting used to the controls. I was dodging the guardians and other enemies and I started making my way deeper and deeper into the area. Before I knew it I stumbled upon an awesome shield and sword and then I discovered my first batch of guardian arrows! I was able to take down a couple that were giving me trouble and I again went deeper and deeper into the area.

That's when it happened. I got to this very large tower/pole and I decided to climb. I went up, up, and up all the way to the top. Once there, even though I was still holding on to it, it apparently was enough to where it no longer used stamina. It was there, as I saw how close I was to Ganon, the view, the music picking up, just everything about it, that I decided it has now taken the number one spot on my personal all time list. Here is a quick photo I took using my phone off the TV of the spot I'm talking about....

KhyVi6J.jpg

I dived off and floated as far as I could to a ledge. I kept on and eventually I got to a large archway. I had no clue what it was, but I pushed on. It then told me I was in the sanctum. The cutscene started, and then out of nowhere I was face to face with Windblight Ganon! I tried over and over, but being so underpowered I had trouble. Then finally, right before I was going to warp away to continue the game normally, I did it, I defeated Windblight! I had no clue what was next, I haven't read any spoilers on anything. Then of course came Waterblight Ganon. At that point I had used so many different weapons and items and food I had little left and he defeated me shortly after.

I almost wish I had a different ending to this little personal story, but for now that's where it ends. I will be warping away and continuing on the journey normally. However, the fact that I was able to do this, to get this far with so little, blows my mind and just backs up the decision I made before I even got to the sanctum, that this is indeed my favorite game ever.

I don't know what else to say, I'm simply blown away.

It's close for me too, but honestly the two Mario Galaxy games out class it for pure enjoyment for me, that said it's bloody good and is absolutely the best of the genre, I love everything about it even the reasonably poor and simple graphics in some places suit the game perfectly.

I'm confused, I eat a spicy pepper recipe for cold resistance but I still am cold and still lose health, whats the deal?
It raises your body temp slightly. Not enough to get out of the death zone. You need to cook a cold resistance food that creates immunity for a time frame.

Yeah its great, but Daruk's theme takes the cake. I was desperately looking for this theme because
it appeared in a trailer
and I died of happiness when I heard it during the game. Good thing I had a fairy.

The further in the main quest I go, the more I start to appreciate the soundtrack. I was a little down on it since the OST that comes with the SE has only a few songs and you mostly hear the ambient tunes during your playthrough. I wish these tracks were included, these are the best stuff. All the champions have excellent themes.

Red

Lost two Guardian Shield++ to a walking guardian I could not get a lock on. Couldn't get a good angle to deflect his beam. Finally took him out with a Lynel shield, but I really wish I did not lose my other two. I had been relying on auto saves for a while and triggered one just after finishing the battle, so I didn't have an opportunity to revert to an earlier file. A bit of a letdown.

What's with the guardian shield description? It says it deflects beams, but every shield deflects beams. What's the difference?

I'm about 40 hours in now and still kind of meandering around the map. Just walked through the bottomless swamp in Hyrule field. I have a feeling I was meant to get here a bit earlier. Enemies carry pretty weak weapons, and they haven't appeared in large numbers anywhere nearby. I think I am missing something here, though. It is a distinct area, but I didn't find a shrine or korok puzzle in the vicinity. Heading east for now, about to crack the southeastern border of the Hyrule field area. My save file says Necluda. Will be my first time this far eastward. Excited to see what lies ahead.

En-ou

Lost two Guardian Shield++ to a walking guardian I could not get a lock on. Couldn't get a good angle to deflect his beam. Finally took him out with a Lynel shield, but I really wish I did not lose my other two. I had been relying on auto saves for a while and triggered one just after finishing the battle, so I didn't have an opportunity to revert to an earlier file. A bit of a letdown.

What's with the guardian shield description? It says it deflects beams, but every shield deflects beams. What's the difference?

I'm about 40 hours in now and still kind of meandering around the map. Just walked through the bottomless swamp in Hyrule field. I have a feeling I was meant to get here a bit earlier. Enemies carry pretty weak weapons, and they haven't appeared in large numbers anywhere nearby. I think I am missing something here, though. It is a distinct area, but I didn't find a shrine or korok puzzle in the vicinity. Heading east for now, about to crack the southeastern border of the Hyrule field area. My save file says Necluda. Will be my first time this far eastward. Excited to see what lies ahead.
My number one rule bef taking on a guardian - save. Because a random chuchu or skeleton or Keese can fuck you up.

Rodin

Finally got the tunic from Link's OOT amiibo. Looks beyond fantastic. Now i only miss the biggoron sword (which i actually dropped today but i really wanted to finish the tunic so i reloaded anyway lol).

EDIT: and there actually is some form of level scaling for enemies, and it's done much better than in other games: i just found a white bokoblin in the woods near Hateno and i never saw one of them there. But at least is a new form of the enemy, not the same one that got stronger because reasons.

Sooo at some point I got tired of spending hours exploring the game and just fought all bosses quickly. I'm not really enjoying the game that much.

Love the art style but shrines are boring to me and fighting has as well since I have all these buffs now....

I miss old dungeons. Also quests are pretty lame fetch quests for money. Is there any meaningful quests...I loved majoras mask people's lives and etc... I'm looking for that.

I went to hyrule castle And it was great.., my favorite part so far. Calamity ganon isn't involved enough imo

Grisby

Beat it. It really is 1998 again. I haven't felt this way about a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.

The whole lead up to the end is by far the most epic Zelda has ever been. Hell of a game.

Clocked in at 71 hours. Damn.
That jingle when
someone uproots their entire life and moves to
Tarrey Town. Brings a tear of joy to my eye.
It's a damn good jingle. The
town's
music is probably my favorite too outside of Rito Village.

Red

It's a poor description, it only refers to the smaller guardian beams.
Smaller as in the very tiny ones that sometimes appear in puzzle shrines, or the ones in combat shrines?

The more I think about losing those shields, the more gutted I feel. Can I revisit combat shrines to get more?

I brought the Switch over to a friend's place to show him Zelda, we decided it would be fun to make a run at the castle just for the hell of it. Ended up making it all the way to Ganon. Got to the
third form, Thunderblight Ganon(?) before finally going down. I had only completed one guardian before this, don't really know what kind of effect they have on Ganon.

Was really worried I was about to beat the game.

Majukun

ok,found the last memory too and now i'm ready to deal with the last beast..one thing though...what does the chief of the goron give you after you save the other guy from the mine?it keeps saying that it's something hylian want but i'm already full and have to throw away something..but i have a space free on every weapon/material/dish slot

Anteo

I brought the Switch over to a friend's place to show him Zelda, we decided it would be fun to make a run at the castle just for the hell of it. Ended up making it all the way to Ganon. Got to the
third form, Thunderblight Ganon(?) before finally going down. I had only completed one guardian before this, don't really know what kind of effect they have on Ganon.

Was really worried I was about to beat the game.

You could have ended the game right there if you were a little more prepared.
Try it again after beating your second divine beast, you will notice how the battle changes.

Rodin

Sooo at some point I got tired of spending hours exploring the game and just fought all bosses quickly. I'm not really enjoying the game that much.

Love the art style but shrines are boring to me and fighting has as well since I have all these buffs now....

I miss old dungeons. Also quests are pretty lame fetch quests for money. Is there any meaningful quests...I loved majoras mask people's lives and etc... I'm looking for that.
Like 2/3 of them? The subquests to find the shrines are still subquests (pretty unique in the genre, as you don't usually get tons of quests involving environmental puzzles and riddles in other titles) and you get tons of others that involve unique characters and their stories. They also teach you stuff about the tribes, their uses, the lore in general etc and those are reminiscent of Majora's Mask. Then sure there are some fetch quests, and it's ok that they give you money since you don't really find many rupees around anymore, but let's try not to suggest that all this title has in terms of subquests are fetch quests. Because it's false.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Smaller as in the very tiny ones that sometimes appear in puzzle shrines, or the ones in combat shrines?

The more I think about losing those shields, the more gutted I feel. Can I revisit combat shrines to get more?

Both yeah, but it's never the charged up beams, it's always the smaller pulse lasers. And yes, blood moons reset tests of might and you can get the items again.

psyfi

Banned
So after encountering them a few times and getting completely destroyed, I decided to finally go toe to toe with a Lynel.
It's the one in the coliseum (which after 70+ hours with the game I *JUST* found). I equipped all my best gear, got my best weapons out, and let him spot me from a distance so I could lure him out. As he approaches me I shoot him once in the face with my bow, then hide behind the outer wall of the coliseum to ready another arrow... and mother fucker shoots an arrow OVER THE WALL and leaves me with 3/4 a heart. I was like "damn, what a lucky shot" but then it happened two more times, with six near misses.

The game is rigged, man.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Is there a certain time/condition to when
Satori Mountain glows?

It was raining when it happened for me. What I found there was one of the best surprises of the game for me! I literally freaking gasped, especially understanding the meaning of it. Fantastic moment.

Thud

108 shrines down. Two shrines with motion controls. One was getting ridiculous, had to turn the gamepad like a madman because the sensitivity is complete bonkers. Feels like they designed it for Wii U but playtested the switch version.

Apparently bladed Lynel shields can be used as makeshift weapons--parrying with them does damage to enemies that get hit in the swing. Found that out today on accident.

i turned 35 on the 15th, and one of my first video game moments i can remember is when i was in kindergarten, and my dad purchased a nes and zelda. My dad is not nerd/geek in the least. Was a hippie and played sports in his younger years, and sports are pretty much his only recreational passion/interest.He worked as a home improvement salesman in those days, and i remember him sketching dungeon layouts floor by floor because a strategy guide wasnt something he knew about. The mere promise of aLttP was enough for him to get me a SNES when it launched. That was 25 years ago.

So we celebrated my birthday over the weekend by having a cookout at my house. He watches my daughter on Fridays so he knew I had been playing BotW already. During the night he gave me an envelope with a bunch of stuff from my childhood including pictures, school papers, personal writings ect. Included in this was the book I made when I was in first grade, about the legend of zelda. It was one of the best presents ever. Not because it was a stupid thing from my childhood from 29 years ago, but because it let me remember some of my earliest and favorite memories of my dad, enjoying a hobby that years later I would continue to be passionate about.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Over 50 hours and I am officially utterly bored of this world. Guess it's time to wrap up the 3 remaining dungeons and kill Climate Change Ganon.

vypek

ok,found the last memory too and now i'm ready to deal with the last beast..one thing though...what does the chief of the goron give you after you save the other guy from the mine?it keeps saying that it's something hylian want but i'm already full and have to throw away something..but i have a space free on every weapon/material/dish slot

3 fireproof elixirs

Chaos17

I went to hyrule castle And it was great.., my favorite part so far. Calamity ganon isn't involved enough imo

Best in games are against none story bosses maybe you didn't killed enough monsters to see their silver version ?
But no, this game is not Majora Mask like game.

Like 2/3 of them? The subquests to find the shrines are still subquests (pretty unique in the genre, as you don't usually get tons of quests involving environmental puzzles and riddles in other titles) and you get tons of others that involve unique characters and their stories. They also teach you stuff about the tribes, their uses, the lore in general etc and those are reminiscent of Majora's Mask. Then sure there are some fetch quests, and it's ok that they give you money since you don't really find many rupees around anymore, but let's try not to suggest that all this title has in terms of subquests are fetch quests. Because it's false.

Bring me a horse, take a picture of this thing, I need 10 of this, find my friend... these aren't fetch quests????

Majoras mask quests were awesome because you got game changing masks and finally the fierce deity mask. They were great stories, depressing about the end of their life and the world.

Let me be positive, still finding new items things and haven't even explored most of the world. Equipment is awesome, love the personality and touches. Still haven't tried to tackle lynels. I mean yea there's sooo much content but but getting a new weapon+++ isn't that great compared to getting a hook shot, Invisibilty cape, etc. i guess cause weapons break in end game it doesn't have the same effect of getting a giants sword from oot.

I enjoyed
eventide island
... idk feel like there's not much reward I guess other than endless playing which is good on its own. More fun the stronger you get though

Best in games are against none story bosses maybe you didn't killed enough monsters to see their silver version ?
But no, this game is not Majora Mask like game.

Yea I fought some mini bosses like
mogdula
and haven't done anything with the
dragons
yet. Are you talking about white versions with cavemen looking clothing? Or silver is something more? Yea I mean it's good that I can play this game for years but my favorite thing of zelda has always been the dungeons lol. So yea definitely a 360

vypek

thank you

now i have to look for those fireproof butterflies to upgrade the fire armor..thyey seem extremely rare..is there any place in death mountain where they spawn consistently?

I'm not sure. I've only been upgrading the soldier's outfit. Haven't even run into that butterfly at all.

Justinian

So is it pretty much confirmed that putting the Switch to sleep with Zelda still running causes the blood moon glitch?

If I exit the game every now and then it won't happen?

Smellycat

sheesh at
tempered power
shrine. I almost pulled whatever left of my hair out trying to get that second ball in the hole. I finally caved in and looked up tips online. It turns out you
don't have to hit the ball from the platform
lol don't know why I didn't think of that. Finally got it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom