• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

Holy crap. All this time I had no idea the apple statue things were korok seed locations. I just did the one by Tarrey Town after reading the above posts and realize how many I have passed up along the way. I always just snatch up the apples, lol.

Lol. I was tempted but when I was in Kakariko I put an apple in to get the korok seeds and then I took the apples. Every now and then when I go back to that town I'll take the apples again

boxter432

I figured out The Hero's Cache sidequest though I'm not sure I fully understood the riddle.
The clue was 17 of 24. What has 24 of something?

17th hour of the day is equivalent to 5 o'clock. The chest was located at the same spot a 5 would be on the clock if you look at the map with the pillar Kass was on as the center of the clock.

Nyoro SF

Holy crap. All this time I had no idea the apple statue things were korok seed locations. I just did the one by Tarrey Town after reading the above posts and realize how many I have passed up along the way. I always just snatch up the apples, lol.

Glad I was able to help a little.

I still don't know what to do with those circular rock formation thingies in the water. I assume you have to throw a rock on a raft and cart it over there, to which I say; screw that. I only care about koroks I come across incidentally.

Also someone mentioned a puzzle regarding three trees, I can confidently say I have never completed one of those. lol

Double D

I still don't know what to do with those circular rock formation thingies in the water. I assume you have to throw a rock on a raft and cart it over there, to which I say; screw that. I only care about koroks I come across incidentally.

Also someone mentioned a puzzle regarding three trees, I can confidently say I have never completed one of those. lol

Usually the small circle rock formations in the water have a ledge nearby with rocks on it. Just get up there and toss a rock in the circle.

Are the three trees the ones south of Kakariko Village? There are 3 trees there perfectly lined up between 2 hills. I chopped them down but nothing happened.

There's a place where you can find that item out in the wild, in a very special room. It doesn't explain the origins of it or why it does what it does, but where you find it makes you think: "
Well someone wanted this hidden, and there was a great battle here to protect it or keep it out of the hands of someone.
"

That said, why a random Gerudo lady can make it... /shrug
Oh yeah I was only thinking about that special room. I didn't even know gerudo lady could make it. I guess that may be only because there's no permanently losable armor in the game: if you accidentally sell the one you find you have to be able to get it back somehow.

Is there any way to survive Death Mountain without wearing armor? I'm doing a naked run and I have some fireproof elixirs but they are not powerful enough for certain areas.

Crayolan

About Rudania's Boss:

There was clearly a suction effect around the boss. That's why Daruk tells you to look at how he's charging.

Also, as with everything in this game there are multiple ways of solving things:
you can also parry the fireball back at the boss.

Rocks:
Throw another rock into the center.

Trees:
Look at the fruits on the trees, 2 should be the same and 1 is different, make odd one out match.

Is there any way to survive Death Mountain without wearing armor? I'm doing a naked run and I have some fireproof elixirs but they are not powerful enough for certain areas.

It should be possible to make medium-level fireproof elixirs but I'm not sure how. You might need good RNG with critical cooking (try cooking during a bloodmoon for better effects) or maybe using boss parts/monster extract might help. Just a guess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Whats up with this orange altar thingie with a round hole in the middle near the kakariko
great fairy
?

I tried dropping all sorts of things in the whole including a bomb but nothing :/

And I see no round rocks around to pick up either.

Whats up with this orange altar thingie with a round hole in the middle near the kakariko
great fairy
?

I tried dropping all sorts of things in the whole including a bomb but nothing :/

Look around the inside of Impa's house.

mauaus

great fairy
?

Part of a quest ;)

Crayolan

great fairy
?

Part of a long sidequest chain in Kakariko.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Look around the inside of Impa's house.

Oh that makes sense but the
shy lady wouldnt give me the ball, I guessed I had to come back later when I did the 4 guardians or something

Also, that moment you realise you
cooked the honey comb the little girl wants for her sidequest
... feelsbadman.

I have six shrines left and I've been roaming around endlessly looking for them. I've done all the Kass ones and pretty sure I've done all the Shrine Quests in general so now it's just a matter of stumbling upon them. And I refuse to use the Shiekah tracker.

Any other game I would have just given up and looked up the locations by now but this is one game where I'm still enjoying just aimlessly wandering over 110 hours into it. Plus, I'm making bank with Korok seeds in the process.

But yeah, I'm thoroughly convinced these last few shrines don't actually exist.

Regginator

Is there a way to see statistics (e.g. how many shrines you beat) on the Wii U version besides during loading screens? I see people talking about statistics, but I think that might be the Switch version.

I take it the lack of response means there isn't a stats page or whatever on Wii U? :(

Mistle

I figured out The Hero's Cache sidequest though I'm not sure I fully understood the riddle.

Anyone else completing quests by accident? The one with the cedar tree in Hedra also comes to mind.

Hero's Cache is the 17 of 24 one right? If so it meant 5pm.

The Hebra one, if you look out from that spot, a big snowy area in the distance is shaped like a bird. If you glide towards it, your perspective adjusts to let you see into a small crack in the mountain where a shrine awaits. Unless you have the sensor on, it'd be extremely hard to just stumble upon.

Regginator

I don't have these metrics on the Switch version either, I'm guessing it's a post game thing.

I have the game on Switch and I don't see statistics other than what you see on the loading screen (hearts, shrines, korok seeds, beasts, etc.)

I haven't played my Wii U version yet, but so far I only see those kinds of stats at the loading screen.

Ow, hmm, I suppose I've been misinformed then. Nevertheless, too bad Nintendo didn't put in a stats screen.

Also, it's a shame that they didn't give activated -but not yet beaten- shrines a different colour. Now activated shrines -regardless of whether or not you've completed them- have the same colour, which can be a pain in the ass later on when you're not sure which ones you've already done and which ones you haven't.

I'd have preferred black, yellow and blue (or any other three random colours). Black for discovered but not yet activated shrines (no fast travel option), yellow for activated but not yet completed shrines, and blue for completed shrines.

Red

Somehow I ascended the dueling peaks without knowing I was there. I went up a gradual incline, passed two bokoblins on horseback toward a shrine in the distance. Got near to it and nearly ran over a cliff, into a huge ravine. That's weird, I thought. There were no signs that the mountain I was on had been broken in two. Grabbed two shrines, then hopped over the break and climbed to the one I had intended to reach. Only then did I realize where I was.

Flew down to the tower, warped back up, and floated to several shrines by repeatedly warping to the higher peak and paragliding to red spots in the distance. Accidentally landed in Kakariko village at one point. My first time there—40 hours in. Left immediately.

I landed in a jungle area after one of my descents, but didn't open the paraglider in time during an intentional fall. Ended up dying. As I hit the ground, I saw a big stone carving of a dragon's head. That place looks interesting. I will be back soon.

Crayolan

Ow, hmm, I suppose I've been misinformed then. Nevertheless, too bad Nintendo didn't put in a stats screen.

Also, it's a shame that they didn't give activated -but not yet beaten- shrines a different colour. Now activated shrines -regardless of whether or not you've completed them- have the same colour, which can be a pain in the ass later on when you're not sure which ones you've already done and which ones you haven't.

I'd have preferred black, yellow and blue (or any other three random colours). Black for discovered but not yet activated shrines (no fast travel option), yellow for activated but not yet completed shrines, and blue for completed shrines.

Uncompleted but activated shrines stay partially orange, they only turn fully blue once you complete them. Both on the map and on the overworld.

I spent about 75 hours playing The Witcher 3, and that was my favorite game of all time.

I don't know how many hour's I've been playing Breath of the Wild, but my God it's such a good game. I can't even stop thinking about it. I've done one dungeon and a bunch of shrines but that's what I love, it's so non-linear you basically tackle it at your own pace. The world is so full of INTERESTING things to explore. It's incredible. It really is.

I've been thinking about TW3 a lot lately in this context. The narrative in that game was incredible, and I loved the story, characters, and world, which also felt alive and rich.

Both are without a doubt the two best games I've played.

Regginator

Uncompleted but activated shrines stay partially orange, they only turn fully blue once you complete them. Both on the map and on the overworld.

I know that in the overworld it's half orange half blue when it's activated but not yet beaten, but I could've swear the colour is identical on the map. Maybe it's because of my colour blindness, but that's usually with orange/red/green and not with blue...

atr0cious

I know that in the overworld it's half orange half blue when it's activated but not yet beaten, but I could've swear the colour is identical on the map. Maybe it's because of my colour blindness, but that's usually with orange/red/green and not with blue...
I was gonna ask if color blind people had issues, the map symbol will be blue with an orange middle if incomplete. We've had a couple folks miss the same shrine (?) because they didn't notice the orange incomplete.

Vidiot

I hate feeling out of the loop. I mean I think it's a great game but seeing everyone say how amazing and fantastic and one of the best games ever makes me wish I could feel the same way. The mediocre dungeons and boss fights and limp finale really soured the complete package for me. :( I'm having a lot of fun with it but it didn't really scratch the Zelda itch for me personally.

Stopdoor

I was gonna ask if color blind people had issues, the map symbol will be blue with an orange middle if incomplete. We've had a couple folks miss the same shrine (?) because they didn't notice the orange incomplete.

The one some people seemed to miss also overlapped a village icon, making it harder to see the orange of the shrine, so it made some sense.

atr0cious

I hate feeling out of the loop. I mean I think it's a great game but seeing everyone say how amazing and fantastic and one of the best games ever makes me wish I could feel the same way. The mediocre dungeons and boss fights and limp finale really soured the complete package for me. :( I'm having a lot of fun with it but it didn't really scratch the Zelda itch for me personally.
I didn't play it like a Zelda game, go where they told me or follow the story, and it's genuinely my favorite in the series, with Majora's Mask right behind it.
The one some people seemed to miss also overlapped a village icon, making it harder to see the orange of the shrine, so it made some sense.
Oh ok, makes sense.

Rhaknar

Hestu that motherfucker, upgrades me twice and fucks off >_<

kunonabi

I'm in the same position. I thought it was in the "best game ever/ Nintendo finally perfected open world design" discussion but around the 100 hour mark the faults really started showing and the limp finish left me really cold. I'm still onboard on the overall direction but they need to refine it with less copy paste rewards and actual worthwhile dungeons/bosses/primary story content. The framerate, controls, and z targeting/camera issues could also use some real polish. Its still a remarkable first draft, unlike oot, but it certainly has room to improve.

Regginator

I'm having the same complaints so far, except for the ending (because I haven't done the final fight yet, but I did went to explore a little of
Hyrule Castle
and it starts amazing).

All four dungeons are painfully easy, not to mention extremely short, and their bosses are uninteresting and boring from a gameplay perspective. I've beaten all four bosses basically in the same manner, and honestly, I can't remember their individual traits. They're almost, if not entirely, identical.

But on the other hand, the huge vast and absolutely beautiful world Nintendo has crafted with everything in it, the immense sense of discovery and sense of awe, is incredible. And it's kinda funny that the numerous shrines have scratched my "Zelda itch" considerably more than any of the four main dungeons. And all of that makes the mediocre main story stuff sting less, and as a result still a very enjoyable experience for me.

Arrrammis

I feel like I just got randomly screwed when doing the
korok trial where you have to trail a korok to a shrine. A wolf randomly spawned on right as he said "I'm almost there", made the korok start running and yell for the hero to save them, so I shot the wolf (still crouched and hidden), the korok stopped and just stood there for 30 seconds, then spun around, looked right at me asking if I was a ghost, and Link stood up like an idiot. Luckily it's not too long to redo, just tedious.

Vidiot

I didn't play it like a Zelda game, go where they told me or follow the story, and it's genuinely my favorite in the series, with Majora's Mask right behind it.

Oh ok, makes sense.

And that's fine. I totally understand this being people's favorite in the series. I can't deny it's a great game. I'm just saying I personally am pretty disappointed in the dungeons and boss fights. The dungeons were always my favorite part. The main series Zeldas are only like every five or six years so even if they return to good dungeons with the next game it's still a long ass wait for what I crave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom