• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason Faron Woods gives me the creeps.

The tropical place? Why? That's one of my favorite areas!

Also, I had a hilarious exchange with a wandering Gerudo today:
When I talked to her, she was all like, "omg it's a voe! Ok I got this, just do what you were taught. Just talk to him like you would any other person." You can either tell her that you think she is your dream girl, in which case she says she was warned about voe who just throw out words like that, or decline her in which case she says, "well, what's the point in continuing talking to you then?" The dating anxiety is real with the Gerudos ha ha.

Having just found them all... Some areas are pretty barren. It's a shame they're not evenly spread out.

Yup. Not only would that make exploration even more fun but it would be really helpful for traveling as well. Some areas are really dense with shrines while others are totally empty. I'm approaching 130 hours and theres a ton of places I havent explored yet so hopefully some of those give me shrines.

I've only gotten three main fairy fountains (and then the horse god, but that one doesn't count), and it does feel like the great fairy's blessing has been getting more and more physical with each succesive upgrade...

I guess all those years stuck inside a flower gets you really thirsty. Doesnt help that Link is also extremely attractive in this game.

The tropical place? Why? That's one of my favorite areas!

Also, I had a hilarious exchange with a wandering Gerudo today:
When I talked to her, she was all like, "omg it's a voe! Ok I got this, just do what you were taught. Just talk to him like you would any other person." You can either tell her that you think she is your dream girl, in which case she says she was warned about voe who just throw out words like that, or decline her in which case she says, "well, what's the point in continuing talking to you then?" The dating anxiety is real with the Gerudos ha ha.

Theres a big section of woods that just creeps me out for some reason. I think its because its a dense forest thats eerily quiet so even the wind whistling gets me on edge. One time I was playing with headphones on and one of the
big Yiga ninjas
appeared. All I heard was the deep laughter out of nowhere and I warped the fuck out of there lol. I'm a scaredy cat.

The tropical stuff is fine otherwise. There are some incredible vistas. Also realized that I barely spent any time near Lake Hylia and Faron so I need to give it some love.

That Gerudo was hilarious. I loved that exchange. I really like how Nintendo fleshed out their culture in this game.

random25

I with there was a way to quick change between sets of gear. Swapping from barbarian to climbing to swimming to heat resist to cold resist to high defence etc is so tedious.

I always sort them out to have the same set together with each other so I don't mind. I would like to have a "favorites" set option to just quickly toggle to at least 4 pre-configured clothing sets though.

It's good to know that the shrines actually aren't spread out too evenly, as I think my issue with finding the last few remaining is searching hard around areas that are pretty barren looking on the map. Welp.

Arrrammis

Is there a best way that people have for getting rupees? So far I've just been selling excess monster parts when I come across a town, but since I need
10,000 rupees for the 4th fairy
I feel like there should be an easier way.

Is there a best way that people have for getting rupees? So far I've just been selling excess monster parts when I come across a town, but since I need

Snowbowling minigame apparently, which I actually haven't found yet but is somewhere in the Hebra region.

It's good to know that the shrines actually aren't spread out too evenly, as I think my issue with finding the last few remaining is searching hard around areas that are pretty barren looking on the map. Welp.

I've found riding along the main roads helpful. I've been taking short cuts for basically my entire play through. Just crossing from mountains to hills off the path so now that I'm just chilling with Epona and riding through the main roads, I'm encountering many NPCs and point of interests I hadnt earlier.

random25

Mine for luminous stones. They sell for 70 rupees and they are very abundant. Very visible during the night too.

Deku Tree

If you have been farming gems then you can sell them to a gerudo in
Gordon city
for a little more than anywhere else.

You can do snowling bowling there is a video on how to get a strike every time. It is the fastest way to grind rupees actually.

Or you can cook meals and sell them. Look up meals that earn a lot. A lot of easy meals can get 200 per dish. You can even buy the ingredients

Or set your sensor to octo guardians and go to hyrule field and kill 8-10 of them and sell the ancient parts that you get. You can get thousands in one go this way.

For the last 10K fairy I discovered that I was able to just sell stuff and have 10k without even farming.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You have to be kidding me! Damnit Deku ^

C7u3KzGUwAArW64.jpg

Malus

The concept is great, but the actual in dungeon content is completely mediocre imo. They are by far the worst bunch of dungeons in the series, again imo. I think the overworld should have been scaled down a bit if everything else that was great about the series (dungeons, boss fights, enemy variety, etc.) had to suffer for the sake of it.

I do understand that this is for the better for some people but again as a dungeon guy the overworld being as large as it was wasn't worth the trade off at all.

It's like the anti Skyward Sword. That game had some nice dungeons but a really bad overworld. They went way too far in the opposite direction with BotW I feel however. I really do hope they balance things better next time. I personally will get bored of exploring gigantic overworlds if the main quest content suffers time after time.

I really don't mean to sound too negative because I really do like the game. I just think more effort needs to be put into the main quest of the game. If you were to just run straight through the main story content of BotW it is probably the weakest of all the 3d Zeldas. All the extra stuff you can do is great but more effort needs to be put into the main quest of the game imo.

It's more like the anti-TP. Skyward Sword actually sacrificed dungeon length and complexity as well (not as much as botw of course), and in exchange they put a bunch of dungeony puzzles into the overworld. I love SS by the way, and am no die hard open world game fan, but I do very much appreciate what botw does to shake up the formula.

And look I fully agree with everyone saying that the divine beasts are weaker than other dungeons from a pure content standpoint. But there's some real good ideas with them that I thought were worth appreciating.

Nyoro SF

I just noticed in this game if you're wearing the dark tunic, NPCs will react to you as if you've drawn your weapon.

This game is nuts.

Today I found one shrine and about 30 koroks including the one
on top of Hyrule Castle

Good progress lol. Will do more after work.

kunonabi

It's more like the anti-TP. Skyward Sword actually sacrificed dungeon length and complexity as well (not as much as botw of course), and in exchange they put a bunch of dungeony puzzles into the overworld. I love SS by the way, and am no die hard open world game fan, but I do very much appreciate what botw does to shake up the formula.

And look I fully agree with everyone saying that the divine beasts are weaker than other dungeons from a pure content standpoint. But there's some real good ideas with them that I thought were worth appreciating.

SS were more in-depth and longer than the TP ones. I didn't used to think so but after playing the HD version the TP dungeons turned out much simpler than I remembered.

Moving away from dungeon talk, I finished up all the
Monster Medals
today. I'll start on my remaining 720 korok seeds tomorrow. I'l reevaluate doing all the armor upgrades after that.

Bakkus

What's the point of having more than one Fairy Fountian? It seems like they all can upgrade all of the same weapons but little else, yet the last one cost 10 000 rupees?

Having just finished all the Beasts, narratively, Rito first and Gerudo last really works best I think.
I did Zora first, Gerudo second.
I think you'll understand I was quite disappointed with the other two.

On the Great Plateau, the king advices you to go east, so I did. I went to Kakariko, as you do, after which you very easily stumble into the swamps, to the river where the Zora literally guide you to their domain.
To me it feels like this is what they expected the player to do, but it does impact the rest of the experience.

Malus

SS were more in-depth and longer than the TP ones. I didn't used to think so but after playing the HD version the TP dungeons turned out much simpler than I remembered.

Moving away from dungeon talk, I finished up all the
Monster Medals
today. I'll start on my remaining 720 korok seeds tomorrow. I'l reevaluate doing all the armor upgrades after that.

Really? That's hard for me to believe but maybe my memory is failing me too.

Also I just finished all the shrines/sidequests/memories, and this is the first I've heard of
Monster Medals.

After doing all that I decided to go beat Ganon again
for the true ending (which you only need the memories for)
and I've come to appreciate the game's finale even more.

The first time I beat it I was exploring everything, every room looking for every secret. 2nd time I just took the beaten path from the gate to the boss, didn't even enter the castle. Wore much weaker armor (reward spoilers)
no-upgrade Tunic of the Wild
which made all the fighting much more intense. Nevermind the
lynels
which were two shotting me.

Ending spoilers
The little post credits scene in the true ending didn't add much narratively, but it gave the game that little extra crescendo it needed. Very satisfied.

And that's a wrap for my playthrough. 142 hours total, shockingly close to Xenoblade 1 in play time (which is impressive because I did a shit ton of filler quests in Xenoblade, Agniratha anyone?).

Ah thanks, but man, 10.000...

If you just stop to mine ore whenever you come across it you should have plenty. Of course maybe that'd get tedious for some lol. By the end of the game, after I bought everything I wanted, all the armor and fairy fountains and fancy weapons, I sold my leftover gems and the result was a spare 50,000 rupees. I didn't even sell any of my 17 diamonds.

Shit I coulda bought that house in Hateno for it's original price.

I finally beat my first Lynel!!! It was a white zebra one too!

I have 13 hearts. This is what the battle cost me:

- 5 swords, 3 in critical condition
- 4 shields
- 4 radish meals
- 2 fairies
miphas protection

It was worth it. I got better at the timing during the last 30% of the battle. They drop some amazing loot too wow.

The coliseum is dope. Awesome gear everywhere.

Feel like I kinda ruined Horse stalking.

Like, the first Horse I got was a Black one with White hair after I realized I need STM feed to keep on top of it. She has 4 strgth/ 3 speed/ 4 stm.
2nd I got was a teal solid colored on with 1strgth but the same other stats.

3rd I got was
the BIG ASS HORSE.

I feel like I can't do better than the first and last so what's the point? All the wacky pattern ones are weak from the looks of it.

Malus

I just watched the january trailer (first time watching it, it's fucking hype), and man I think the cutscenes woulda been 10x more enjoyable with the jp dub. The crying scene alone, damn.

CronoShot

So I would like to finish the story but I don't want to finish the game. The game doesn't force you into new game plus or anything after the final boss, right? Or should I just save beforehand?

Stopdoor

Feel like I kinda ruined Horse stalking.

Like, the first Horse I got was a Black one with White hair after I realized I need STM feed to keep on top of it. She has 4 strgth/ 3 speed/ 4 stm.
2nd I got was a teal solid colored on with 1strgth but the same other stats.

3rd I got was
the BIG ASS HORSE.

I feel like I can't do better than the first and last so what's the point? All the wacky pattern ones are weak from the looks of it.

Some kids at the first stable explain how spotted horses are gentler but weaker than pure colour horses (only found them wayyyy later though). Apparently horses
near Zelda's horse are among the best in the game, I think was mentioned by an NPC. But yeah, it does kind of peak, there's only so good a horse can be.

Bakkus

If you just stop to mine ore whenever you come across it you should have plenty. Of course maybe that'd get tedious for some lol. By the end of the game, after I bought everything I wanted, all the armor and fairy fountains and fancy weapons, I sold my leftover gems and the result was a spare 50,000 rupees. I didn't even sell any of my 17 diamonds.

Shit I coulda bought that house in Hateno for it's original price.

I do mine everywhere I see it, but if i sell all I have then i'm at max at 2.500. Isn't diamonds also valuable for something else? I know the rest are.

Malus

I just realized Imma be spending the next day or 2 watching zelda trailer reactions now that I'm not on blackout :D

I do mine everywhere I see it, but if i sell all I have then i'm at max at 2.500. Isn't diamonds also valuable for something else? I know the rest are.

Yeah you can upgrade stuff with em. I never did personally.

Oidisco

Maaaaaan Vah Naboris was fantastic. So glad I decided to leave it till last, good way to finish the Divine Beasts.

I really enjoyed all 4 of them though I wish they were all on the same level of difficulty as Naboris. The Boss was actually pretty tough as well, unlike the others.

jnWake

- 4 shields
- 4 radish meals
- 2 fairies
miphas protection

It was worth it. I got better at the timing during the last 30% of the battle. They drop some amazing loot too wow.

Hahaha I beat my first Lynel too. A
White maned
one. Similar costs to the battle.

I love how they just stare at you until you pull out a weapon. It feels so epic. Even the music waits for you to start the battle.

Magwik

Banned

- 4 shields
- 4 radish meals
- 2 fairies
miphas protection

Tip for next time: abuse stasis

ReyVGM

I don't know if you guys have finished the game already, I just beat the 1st dungeon, and have recovered 4 memories. I'm planning on completing everything before beating the game, so that means I'll probably get the good ending.

But, I would like to try to get the bad ending first. However, I don't want to... how should I say this... I don't want to "ruin" the experience of going through Hyrule Castle and fighting Ganon in the state that I am because I know I'll just die a lot, but I also don't want to go through the point of no return where I can't get the bad ending anymore.

So, without spoiling the story, what do I have to avoid doing to get the bad ending? Do I avoid the dungeons, the memories, the master sword, or all of the above?

Malus

I don't know if you guys have finished the game already, I just beat the 1st dungeon, and have recovered 4 memories. I'm planning on completing everything before beating the game, so that means I'll probably get the good ending.

But, I would like to try to get the bad ending first. However, I don't want to... how should I say this... I don't want to "ruin" the experience of going through Hyrule Castle and fighting Ganon in the state that I am because I know I'll just die a lot, but I also don't want to go through the point of no return where I can't get the bad ending anymore.

So, without spoiling the story, what do I have to avoid doing to get the bad ending? Do I avoid the dungeons, the memories, the master sword, or all of the above?

Just one memory will suffice. What I did was enter Hyrule Castle and beat the game without leaving since I didn't want to interrupt the finale. That was good enough.

ReyVGM

Just one memory will suffice. What I did was enter Hyrule Castle and beat the game without leaving since I didn't want to interrupt the finale. That was good enough.

Wait what, if I have one memory I can't get the bad ending anymore??

Malus

Wait what, if I have one memory I can't get the bad ending anymore??

You only need to avoid one memory to get the bad ending. Minor memory quest progression spoilers
There's an extra memory after getting 12, and one of the 12 is in the castle, so since that one was my last memory and I didn't want to leave to collect #13, I got the incomplete ending first. I didn't really have to avoid anything intentionally.

ReyVGM

You can avoid one memory and still get the bad ending.

Ah ok, so avoid getting all the memories and I can get the bad ending. Cool, thanks.

I'll just do all the dungeons, explore everything, and get all memories, except one, and then beat the game for the bad ending. Then go back and get the missing memory and get the good ending.

Mohonky

Luminous Stones to old mate in Zora Domain.

Dunno, I have never needed to farm anything. I had over 10k sitting around when I found that fairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom