• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the Cave of Trials DLC to play similarly to Eventide Island, except that you are stripped of literally everything.

Every Floor has a spirit orb,120 floors total. Every 12 floors you encounter a goddess statue, and you heal every 4 floors. (Whistle is disabled)

You work your way deeper picking up weapons from enemies as you progressively get stronger. Runes and Champion Abilities can be unlocked after a set amount of floors, and you get to choose which out of a set everytime.

Armor pieces work in a similar way but progressing more floors without choosing a armor piece increases the value/level of the next set.

Food ingredients are given to you by completing floors, but better ingredients are given with less hearts/faster floor clears. (Which creates the much needed tradeoff between stamina for speed clears or hearts for safer clears)

You start from a single keese and work your way up to fighting a Silver Lynel concurrently with 2 guardian turrets with malice pools.

Uh, this sounds amazing

Damnit, it's not gonna' be nearly as cool as this, is it? :(

Alpha_eX

Watching someone go through the Gerudo-story portion of the game
and I can now see how annoying the Yiga sneak mission could be annoying if you don't realize that you can kill everyone with backstab thingys, wonder why it dawned on me to do it when I entered the area myself.

I put the bananas on the floor, was quite fun!

Skeletos311

705 Seeds. I'm sending in the Switch for a scratched screen (from a bent dock) repair tomorrow, though. So, the rest will have to wait.

You get to see a lot of cool places while hunting seeds. A lot of places in this game don't have anything besides the seeds and you probably won't see them while doing all the shrines and dungeons.

C76qrLlXgAE6684.jpg

60 shrines
4 Divine Beasts down
All memories collected (
including the 13th
)
Fully upgraded Ancient armour and Champion Tunic
Got the Master Sword and Hylian Shield
Unlocked all towers for the map

Tempted to just go kill Ganon and call it a day...

Skeletos311

60 shrines
4 Divine Beasts down
All memories collected (
including the 13th
)
Fully upgraded Ancient armour and Champion Tunic
Got the Master Sword and Hylian Shield

Tempted to just go kill Ganon and call it a day...

You gotta do all the shrines. That's the best part of the game.

jokkir

I feel like I'm cheating playing that (mini game spoilers)
snowball bowling
game. It makes the game feel too easy :|

Charamiwa

Banned
I thought so at first but now I've done half of them.. Not sure I can be bothered ha.

Going for all shrines made me see a lot of the world differently. Like there are paths leading to Gerudo Highlands that are legit breathtaking and they lead to interesting stuff, without the shrines I don't think I would have ever seen them. Plus a lot of the shrine riddles and quests are great and fit perfectly with the world, so I feel like it's worth it. The only bummer is that the last shrines are probably the harder to find and they typically don't feature any puzzles inside.

But I understand how you could feel like it's not necessary. The reward in itself is still the same.

Burny

Would people here consider the everything-is-climbable and glide mechanics basic capabilities the player character ought to have in future 3D Zeldas?

I feel that half the charm of the open world execution comes from the ability to climb everything. It opens up the terrain like hardly anything else can. No reason to glitch up your way a mountainside or stick to the path, when there are ways to climb it. The ability to then glide down from a high spot is incredibly rewarding and seems to be like half the reason to climb things in the first place.

If they dropped both abilities or made them depend on some mid game item (one convention that they better drop permamently where I'm concerned...), I suspect any world in future Zeldas would feel far more restricted.

Going for all shrines made me see a lot of the world differently. Like there are paths leading to Gerudo Highlands that are legit breathtaking and they lead to interesting stuff, without the shrines I don't think I would have ever seen them. Plus a lot of the shrine riddles and quests are great and fit perfectly with the world, so I feel like it's worth it. The only bummer is that the last shrines are probably the harder to find and they typically don't feature any puzzles inside.

But I understand how you could feel like it's not necessary. The reward in itself is still the same.

I have unlocked all the map via towers and have seen some shrines in the distance but I've lost the "oh a shrine" feeling and can't be bothered running over to it lol.

Dunno, maybe I will do the remaining 60 eventually, I can beat Ganon and still do that, right?

Irminsul

Is the (mini game spoiler)
mini maxigolf thing at the bottom of the canyon near Tabantha Bridge worth it? The Goron said "fewer than 20 strikes" to me, I got 4 and fucking 50 rupees for it. So unless you get something special for even fewer strikes, I don't think I'm going to bother.

Red

Ok I just thought about something

first three shrines spoiler kinda:
Can we just use stasis on a boulder (hit it multiple times then climbing on it) to create enough inertia to get off the great plateau without the paraglider? I gotta try this lol
I don't think it can be done. I spent hours trying to escape the plateau. There is an invisible death barrier that seems to wrap completely around.

I've been enjoying this game so much. Enjoying my progression on my mission to ultimately face Ganon. When all of a sudden
I land on Eventide Island. All that gear I've been relying on stripped away. While I still had my hearts, stamina and powers, I truly felt vulnerable right away. Using all my experience as I scavenge and try to conquer the island. What a refreshing side mission.

What a game.

Jessensor

My 8 hour work day feels like it has doubled, while my productivity has halved. I daydream about the undiscovered areas of Hyrule, and all the amazing loot waiting for me.

I want to go home! I love this game!

HF2014

I want the Cave of Trials DLC to play similarly to Eventide Island, except that you are stripped of literally everything.

Every Floor has a spirit orb,120 floors total. Every 12 floors you encounter a goddess statue, and you heal every 4 floors. (Whistle is disabled)

You work your way deeper picking up weapons from enemies as you progressively get stronger. Runes and Champion Abilities can be unlocked after a set amount of floors, and you get to choose which out of a set everytime.

Armor pieces work in a similar way but progressing more floors without choosing a armor piece increases the value/level of the next set.

Food ingredients are given to you by completing floors, but better ingredients are given with less hearts/faster floor clears. (Which creates the much needed tradeoff between stamina for speed clears or hearts for safer clears)

You start from a single keese and work your way up to fighting a Silver Lynel concurrently with 2 guardian turrets with malice pools.

That would be very cool!

and I can now see how annoying the Yiga sneak mission could be annoying if you don't realize that you can kill everyone with backstab thingys, wonder why it dawned on me to do it when I entered the area myself.

Honestly, people's difficulty with this mission makes no sense to me at all. People have complained about it nonstop and, when I got there, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. There are only, what, five guys to sneak by? Really? People couldn't outsmart five sentries, two of which don't even move? I didn't sneakstrike anybody either, but it's exceedingly easy to just climb over everyone and skip along your merry way.

I spent some time after I completed the mission (in about a minute and thirty seconds) and I couldn't figure it out what exactly is giving people trouble. And EVEN IF you were having trouble, you can use the Sheikah Suit or Revali's Gale or bananas to completely trivialize the encounter.

I normally have a lot of love for people having a hard time in certain sequences of games. I'm the guy who played Bloodborne for 15 hours and didn't know how to dodge. Even in this game, I had to wait for the game to insultingly explain to me how to beat the fire boss. I totally get how people's expectations change how they see challenges and not everybody has the same skill set when it comes to video games. But this sequence? I don't know how they could have made an easier sneaking sequence than this. I cannot fathom how anybody is having a hard time completing it. And if they are, I don't know how it's taking them more than two or three brisk tries.

There are so many frustrating or challenging moments in this game, but it feels like this is the thing I heard the most about and I struggle immensely to see it from that perspective.

Perhaps I've lost all sense of compassion towards my fellow human. Perhaps I should return to the mountains and live alone. Perhaps my soul is dead.

m051293

The pace of the game accelerates dramatically once you fill out the map and have a rough idea of where things are and how they are laid out, along with fast travel. You also develop an intuition for spotting hidden things as you learn the game's systems, so you start to notice far more content in the world for you to complete than you did early on. Then things slow down again once you reach the late-game saturation point where you are just mopping up, but a lot of people here seemed to speed through that by consulting a guide, if they were impatient to just get on with it and play something else for a change.

I'm definitely stunned by some of the low completion times, though. At the 100-hour mark I hadn't done a fraction of what most others here claim to have accomplished by that point. By the posts here, most people completed many of the same milestones in about half the time I did, but I didn't consult any outside information until I was down to my last two shrine locations, and I also proceeded through the game in an order not conducive to doing certain objectives in parallel, so I had to spend more time revisiting locations than most players did, I think.

Anyway, this is a game that should be absorbed at one's own pace, however slow, without feeling rushed by the public conversation or the zeitgeist.

I just hit the 100 hour mark last night. I'm at 72 shrines, 70 seeds, 2 Divine Beasts, all Zelda memories, 2 Great Fairies, and have done about 20% of the sidequests. My pace has felt leisurely (not dragged out) and I've fast traveled a fair bunch. Have avoided using a guide.

It's definitely remarkable how fast others have been running through this.

Mik2121

I've been enjoying this game so much. Enjoying my progression on my mission to ultimately face Ganon. When all of a sudden
I land on Eventide Island. All that gear I've been relying on stripped away. While I still had my hearts, stamina and powers, I truly felt vulnerable right away. Using all my experience as I scavenge and try to conquer the island. What a refreshing side mission.

What a game.
I wish there were more of those, or some game mode (ie dungeon you can keep going to or something similar) where it leaves you in the same state. Loved that place.

kadotsu

Banned
I have nothing more to upgrade so I'm probably done with the game. I'll pick it up again in a few years for the Switch with the Season Pass and do another playthrough on hard.

I don't think it can be done. I spent hours trying to escape the plateau. There is an invisible death barrier that seems to wrap completely around.

I think it can be done if you're climbing the boulder as opposed to standing on top of it. You just have to hope you land near even ground and don't fall down a mountain

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I lose so much shit against those big guardians its not even funny. I try to parry the beams but nothing happens. Well my shield breaks thats what happens :/

You spend so much time rolling on the floor recovering that by the time you get back up another beam is coming, its maddening.

Lynels are much easier for me ;_;

K' Dash

111 shrines
All memories

Just downed the my final beast at death mountain, still have to explore death mountain and do the Lost Island, I'm feeling I'm going to be 2 or 3 shrines short when I finish exploring :(

Alpha_eX

I'm worried I'm missing the mini-games, I've not found any of the ones mentioned (Snowbowling and Golf?) in the last few pages.

I recently (after 75 hours) found the climbing one near Death Mountain.

Addi

I lose so much shit against those big guardians its not even funny. I try to parry the beams but nothing happens. Well my shield breaks thats what happens :/

You spend so much time rolling on the floor recovering that by the time you get back up another beam is coming, its maddening.

go to a guardian, save and try beating him with parries, reload the save if you lose shields. I did that for 30 minutes to get the parry timing, once you get it it's really easy. It depends on how far you are from the guardian, but it's often right at the end of the blue flash before he shoots.

I'm worried I'm missing the mini-games, I've not found any of the ones mentioned (Snowbowling and Golf?) in the last few pages.

Golf
in the canyon by the stable west of Hyrule ridge

Bowling
right next to the Hebra tower. North side.

EDIT: There are a lot of other mini games too, like footrace, shield surfing, flying through rings etc.

Ah man what a game...

95 Hours played, Main Story complete, all memories collected, all shrines complete, and most of the armor gathered. I think I have around 150 seeds but I am not trying to gather all of those lol.

What can I say....this is one of the best games I have ever played and it's sense of wonder is something that I cannot comprehend. They put so much love and time in on this game, making everything just seem so unique and fun. The simple act of wandering around is fun...something not many open world games have been able to do.

It's one of those games I want to restart right after I "finish" it. I want to start over now...but I have too much else to play. When hard mode comes out I will be replaying it for sure. Well done Nintendo, well done.

Zips

I just found the archery mini-game a couple days ago, long after going around every region. Apparently I had never bothered to go down one pathway.

Yesterday I came across mounted bokoblins riding bears for the first time, and I've already beaten the game and am closing in on all the shrines. It's interesting that the game still has things I haven't encountered after all this time.

More like how hard it can be if
you don't exploit the Yiga's unhealthy obsession for...Bananas, you can easily get through the place without a single kill which is totally what the game wants you to do, the hints are everywhere in that area. Just drop a banana and the yiga will abandon it's job to devour the banana
When that finally clicked for me I chuckled for a good bit following their animation, the yiga are such a hilariously inept ninja clan.

mindatlarge

Honestly, people's difficulty with this mission makes no sense to me at all. People have complained about it nonstop and, when I got there, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. There are only, what, five guys to sneak by? Really? People couldn't outsmart five sentries, two of which don't even move? I didn't sneakstrike anybody either, but it's exceedingly easy to just climb over everyone and skip along your merry way.

I spent some time after I completed the mission (in about a minute and thirty seconds) and I couldn't figure it out what exactly is giving people trouble. And EVEN IF you were having trouble, you can use the Sheikah Suit or Revali's Gale or bananas to completely trivialize the encounter.

I normally have a lot of love for people having a hard time in certain sequences of games. I'm the guy who played Bloodborne for 15 hours and didn't know how to dodge. Even in this game, I had to wait for the game to insultingly explain to me how to beat the fire boss. I totally get how people's expectations change how they see challenges and not everybody has the same skill set when it comes to video games. But this sequence? I don't know how they could have made an easier sneaking sequence than this. I cannot fathom how anybody is having a hard time completing it. And if they are, I don't know how it's taking them more than two or three brisk tries.

There are so many frustrating or challenging moments in this game, but it feels like this is the thing I heard the most about and I struggle immensely to see it from that perspective.

Perhaps I've lost all sense of compassion towards my fellow human. Perhaps I should return to the mountains and live alone. Perhaps my soul is dead.
Due to a lack of a save point, except at the beginning of the mission, I was cursing the game every time I was exposed and eventually one-shotted in that final room. After a few times of trying to zerg it and paying the price, the game forced me to go stealth and take them out one by one. That to me is fair and good game design. Like you said, it's easy once you take a minute to examine the pattern of the enemies and strike when appropriate and then advance. I do think we have been spoiled by save points though. Probably why some people are nerd raging about that sequence.

AGoodODST

Is it possible to find an in game map that shows all the shrine locations?

I've found 82 Shrines and finished the game but want to get the rest. I can always look one up online I guess.

K' Dash

More like how hard it can be if
you don't exploit the Yiga's unhealthy obsession for...Bananas, you can easily get through the place without a single kill which is totally what the game wants you to do, the hints are everywhere in that area. Just drop a banana and the yiga will abandon it's job to devour the banana
When that finally clicked for me I chuckled for a good bit following their animation, the yiga are such a hilariously inept ninja clan.

Why are people complaining? That area is just 2 rooms, it's nothing like Gerudo fortress or Pirate fortress, those were long and maze like.

Addi

Is it possible to find an in game map that shows all the shrine locations?

I've foind 82 Shrines and finished the game but want to get the rest. I can always look one up online I guess.

I would say 82 is still a bit early to look up stuff, you still have some cool moments ahead. I had to look after 110 (around 112), because the last ones where inside mountains behind bombable walls etc.

EDIT: you could use this:

Someone posted this map where it only shows the number of shrines in each region but not where they are. So then you can at least narrow it down to where to look for shrines...
http://imgur.com/a/wkop2

takriel

Try to wait until the Guardian catches up to you. This distance is perfect for parrying. Press the parry button right after you hear the laser sound.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I was thinking how zelda is such an open game and nintendo really want to sell their online service.

Is it that strange to think that nintendo might make a overhaul dlc that implements a online mp mode where you can play as a self made persona and venture with max 4 persons around the world of breath of the wild.

I really believe this game has so much options left. They could easily add more shrines, caves and deep water exploring into this game.

Link_enfant

They help in a sense that they give you 3 shrines that give 3 spirit orbs.
4 if you count the one near the Deku Tree.
That's basically 1 heart upgrade.

I see, that makes sense. At the first I thought it'd somehow make the MS magically recognize your value after completing those three special trials, and thus make it easier to pull off if you only have like
6-10 hearts
That would have been interesting for players who reach the area quickly; you could compensate your lack of
hearts
by completing a special quest and deserve to get the MS anyway, but well. That part of the game is still amazing, filled with great ideas and preventing the MS to be
"free"
is really, really great.

ColdPizza

Banned

Yeah, figured out the banana mechanic after 1 death. Funny story though, as I was using magnesis to dig some treasure chest out of the ground, I got a little too rambunctious and slammed the chest down loud enough so 3 of the 5 sentries came in the back room. Had to hide behind a platform to avoid detection. Pretty tense.

ColdPizza

Banned
I was thinking how zelda is such an open game and nintendo really want to sell their online service.

Is it that strange to think that nintendo might make a overhaul dlc that implements a online mp mode where you can play as a self made persona and venture with max 4 persons around the world of breath of the wild.

I really believe this game has so much options left. They could easily add more shrines, caves and deep water exploring into this game.

I'd like to see new regions in a DLC...expand the overworld. Either that, or make an underworld/mirror world.

This game is best when you're following the story, doing the 'dungeons' and moving to a clearly defined area for a certain reason.

Basically, I think I'm totally over the whole open world design thing.

CrazyHorse

Honestly, people's difficulty with this mission makes no sense to me at all. People have complained about it nonstop and, when I got there, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. There are only, what, five guys to sneak by? Really? People couldn't outsmart five sentries, two of which don't even move?

What surprised me about this mission was how short it was. I was expecting OOT Gerudo length mission. But after the big room it's over. And even the boss was too easy. You don't need any defense at all for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom