• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be helpful if you could list some dungeons that have that escalation of puzzles. Because I don't think what you have in BotW isn't too dissimilar than a normal Zelda puzzle.

Good example: Goron Mines in Twilight Princess.

You have cases throughout where you'll walk on walls and ceilings with the Iron Boots, then cases where you'll use them to attach to cranes.

Early in on the dungeon, there's a bridge raised by ropes you need to cut through with your sword. You then get the bow, and can shoot through faraway ropes to lower bridges without having to climb up to the ropes.

Right before the boss room, you get a case where you need to attach to a crane with the Iron Boots, then shoot through ropes while hanging upside-down.

kunonabi

The problem with this is that the shrines in BotW are all underground. If they weren't, they should've had a certain size on the outside that reflected the size indoor. Also if they are broken and overtaken by the environment this should be reflected from the outside as well, so maybe you have different ways to access them? Then the puzzles inside need to reflect that as well in terms of design and how you can/need to solve them.

I mean sure, they can manage to do this in the next game, and it would be cool, but it's easy to see why it doesn't work like this in BotW (not only in terms of lore but even in terms of time needed to actually design each and every one of them). Either way, it doesn't strike me as something that should influence too much the judgement of this chapter. The most important things is how good the puzzles are, and the answer is... very, very good in most of them. That's what matters the most in terms of game design, arguably.

The shrines can get by with just being sterile "challenge" rooms although it would have been nice if they weren't used as the payoff to just about every interesting thing in the overworld. The open-ended approach to the solving the shrines is a great idea but the intended solution is always far too obvious. The Beasts are the real problem though.

Take the Goron dungeon for example. At first it seemed interesting because the whole place was dark and that could have had an effect on how navigating the dungeon works. But no, you get the map and everything lights up and it becomes the blandest straightforward dungeon in the game which is really saying something. Why not not keep it dark forcing you to manipulate the beast to use the lava from outside to light your way?

Why does the flying beast have to essentially be stationary? Why can't you navigate to other regions to use the different environments(snow, lightning, rain) to influence things? You could even have multiple solutions to accommodate whether you've already regained control of the other beasts.

There are so many possibilities that would have fed into the open-world and the fact that you're dealing with giant moving beasts but instead you get the most unimaginative, tacked-on dungeons Nintendo could possibly have put together. Hell, you could have used them to battle Ganon at the end as he rampaged across Hyrule but nah, just have them shoot him with a big laser instead.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Where are people getting the "Rito don't have pants" crap? Is it because of that official character sheet and someone from tumblr (as always) misinterpreting it?

jepense

It's completely unreasonable to expect the game to have several massive dungeons and the massive overworld + systems + quests + shrines. I'm pretty sure there are that many blessings and combat shrines simply because the developers did not have more puzzles to put in there, because most of development when in the overworld. Where a previous Zelda game had a heart piece, BotW has to have a shrine, and some are empty. And I suspect one reason to have the beasts as they are was to have something different to what has always been done.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Finished the
Yiga hideout and got the tiara thing last night. Lol @ the joke boss being such a goof after struggling with those super strong Yiga guards.

I hope there are more
Yiga areas
to tackle later. I do want to
go in and kick their asses for trying to assassinate me the whole game.

Enemies are getting really damage spongey, even though I'm pretty sure my weapons are pretty strong these days. It's odd how
you have such crazy good upgradeable armor, but there are comparatively less options for increasing your damage output.

Maybe I need to go stock up on more attack foods or elixirs.

Patch13

Only played one so far and there's very noticeable drift that makes the whole thing frustrating. Not sure if it's hardware or software fault though

Pause the game and set your controller down on a flat surface for 30 seconds or so, and the drift should go away -- the controllers automatically calibrate themselves if they detect that they're just sitting on a level surface.

It's completely unreasonable to expect the game to have several massive dungeons and the massive overworld + systems + quests + shrines. I'm pretty sure there are that many blessings and combat shrines simply because the developers did not have more puzzles to put in there, because most of development when in the overworld. Where a previous Zelda game had a heart piece, BotW has to have a shrine, and some are empty. And I suspect one reason to have the beasts as they are was to have something different to what has always been done.

I agree with you, but there are going to be people responding to you saying that it's not a good excuse and Nintendo should have made the overworld smaller and less of a design focus if it meant skipping traditional dungeons.

That being said, I really do hope dungeons are prioritized a bit more in the next game . I don't need them to play out like traditional 3D Zelda dungeons though. I'd be happy to have half a dozen temples similar to BotW's Hyrule Castle.

Lilo_D

I agree with you, but there are going to be people responding to you saying that it's not a good excuse and Nintendo should have made the overworld smaller and less of a design focus if it meant skipping traditional dungeons.

That being said, I really do hope dungeons are prioritized a bit more in the next game . I don't need them to play out like traditional 3D Zelda dungeons though. I'd be happy to have half a dozen temples similar to BotW's Hyrule Castle.

Well I guess I'm in the group that can't go back anymore
The linear progression with small key and item block your way is just not my taste after botw

Peléo;233038993 said:
One of the reasons why there is not much enemy variety is the fact having multiple weaponless enemies (Keese, Octorok, Chuchu) would break the weapon cycling system. This is also why most of them can be single-shooted.

There are obviously ways to circunvent it, but would require some changes.

Eh, that's kind of arguable when the single most glaring omission are Darknuts. I could forgive pretty much everything else but learning this game has no Darknuts was the biggest bummer for me.

Geldman (maybe? I have faint memories of seeing them in a 3D entry, but I can't remember which)

They were in ALBW, which is technically 3D (as per the previous page discussion. Perhaps that's what you remember?

GeldmanALBW.png

Well I guess I'm in the group that can't go back anymore
The linear progression with small key and item block your way is just not my taste after botw

I'm right there with you.

I mean, it'd be cool to see those Zelda tropes return in a new 2D entry, but BotW is definitely the blueprint that Nintendo will be building on for quite some time in the 3D space. But I'd still like to see some huge, epic dungeons! Just make them non-linear and exploration-based, like Hyrule Castle.

Just finished the Tarrey Town quest line. This is my new favorite place.
This is one of the quests I plan to complete before I finish the game. At first I was sad I wasn't going to find another
town like the fishing village
(which was a pleasant surprise because I had no idea it was there), but then I realized
"oh snap, I get to help create my own!"

Smeags

The mini golf motion control shrine is up there as one of my favorites.

As for combat shrines, they gave me such trouble at the beginning that I now relish them, knowing that even the guardian IVs dont stand a chance. 😇

Lilo_D

I mean, it'd be cool to see those Zelda tropes return in a new 2D entry, but BotW is definitely the blueprint that Nintendo will be building on for quite some time in the 3D space. But I'd still like to see some huge, epic dungeons! Just make them non-linear and exploration-based, like Hyrule Castle.

i don't enjoy any moment in TP and SS
I got really heavy tired feeling when enter those dungeons
I know they still have the Nintendo quality design, but I'm just so tired

maxcriden

If you're talking about the POI I think you are
the Leviathan remains, which is part of a side quest too, I found those. The pile of moblins underneath almost murdered me.

Yes, that is where I am referring to as being very cool! The enemies you mentioned in that spot were very tough, but next to them was a most welcome
Great Flameblade
. The area I'm referring to between those
Lynels
to the West of that very cool area is a
Korok spot.
SE of this area is the DM Ridge area I mentioned in the other portion of my post that you quoted. East of that particular area is a very useful and aptly named forest, and just downslope from there another
fierce enemy,
not quite as difficult as the ones you mentioned but not easy - we avoided them also. Also, did you go to the spot
south of the Western of the two Lynels?
That's the area I called "pretty rad." It is like the
Lost Woods,
but with a twist.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, that's evident. Not everyone is going to find what they want here.

I see little difference between choosing a path to puzzles and being forced toward them, except that one method offers more freedom. But it's clear not everyone is on board with having more choice in what direction to take. I guess there is something in the linear titles that gives some players more of a sense of purpose, and compels them forward, and whatever that thrust may be makes similar content more engaging to them.

That wasn't really my issue with the game. I just missed traditional dungeons and didn't think the Divine Beasts and Shrines were a sufficient substitute for me since the dungeons where always the main draw of Zelda games to me. BOTW is good, but I enjoyed it a tad less that past 3D Zeldas. I'd probably only put it ahead of Wind Waker and the DS games.

The freedom didn't bother me much. I loved Link between Worlds and that let you tackle dungeons in any order. The only area the freedom bothered me a bit was there's pretty much no present narrative in BOTW, but Zelda games always have shit stories anyway so that didn't affect my opinion on the game much. Just in a broader sense I prefer linear games as they can tell a strong narrative that's difficult to do in open games. But again, moot for Zelda as they've never had strong narratives in the past.

MouldyK

I'm with you there. Even if they are instanced like BOTW's for space reasons...I don't like the map mechanic (turning etc) of the Dungeons in this game.

eXistor

It's completely unreasonable to expect the game to have several massive dungeons and the massive overworld + systems + quests + shrines.

Which is exactly why I'd ideally like the game to have had a smaller overworld and less shrines and instead have a few huge dungeions ala Hyrule Castle, which I loved. The game is fine the way it is btw (we are talking one of the best games of the last 20 years here), but my ideal Zelda would be more akin to that.

maxcriden

Honestly, I am not sure I believe they will do an Open Air game like this as their next (3D) Zelda. I think we will see something entirely different yet again, perhaps more linear. The Zelda team likes to avoid staleness and even with an entirely different open world they may feel it is too similar to BOTW. Perhaps an open world Zelda that takes place entirely indoors or in some wildly different environment would be considered different enough to them, though. I expect them to continue to make each Zelda pretty different from the last. I (and my wife) would very much like some epic dungeons. We haven't played Hyrule Castle (only one Divine Beast so far) but the game has not scratched the dungeon itch in the way we personally prefer. Hopefully the dungeon in the DLC is less DB and more expansive, themed dungeon.

I see little difference between choosing a path to puzzles and being forced toward them, except that one method offers more freedom. But it's clear not everyone is on board with having more choice in what direction to take.

I for one absolutely love the freedom and sense of exploration of this game, but much like A Link Between Worlds (another crowning achievement of gaming, mind), being able to do everything in any order runs into a pretty big problem that nobody has been able to solve yet: lack of escalation. Simply put, if every dungeon is objectively equally difficult, then the last ones you complete will subjectively feel much easier than the first ones, both because your character is stronger and because you're more familiar with the game. Normally in a game you want the opposite.

Regarding puzzles, there's not much that can be done to alleviate this beyond actually having different puzzles dynamically swapped in depending on how far you are (and that way lies madness). Enemy-wise, BotW tackles this pretty well on the overworld with progressively more difficult ones, but between dungeons having very few enemies (a problem in itself) and these enemies not escalating, the later dungeons feel like a pushover and aren't very satisfying. I wouldn't surprised if that's the entire rationale between having only four of them and them being short, so that not a lot of development resources are spent on something that will ultimately feel like a formality.

Another approach may be something like having multi-part dungeons, where the first half is a sort of introduction for a particular technique or new item and is available from the start, and the second half is harder and makes you use that technique in more complex ways, but is only unlocked after a particular global progression point. If you're already past this global point, any new dungeons you discover can be played through from start to end. People aren't usually fond of backtracking, though...

xviper

03ce58fbc24322f40c9f976213655eb1_oh-no-my-eyes-my-eyesss-oh-my-eyes-meme_283-280.jpeg

i have been playing for 12 hours straight, send help, this game is fucking amazing

i haven't had this much fun in a SP game since MGS V came out

and i still haven't encountered a single boss or a dungeon, i'm slowly discovering hyrule

Red

I don't agree the expectation is unreasonable. I don't see why it should be. There are time and resource constraints yes, but there is no rule that says all these things could not be achieved even given those constraints. That said, we get what we get, and not everyone need be satisfied with the end result. There is no pleasing every player or every critic. Setting off a project with the goal of pleasing everybody often creates a product that thrills no one. I am thankful that BotW occurred during a time it might launch as commercially viable, a result of true vision that also conforms to market dictates, but one that pushes against the boundaries enough that it might shift the terrain.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Only 7 more shrines.

2 are quests.
1 is the Northeast Labyrinth.
4 are ???.

the flock of birds trick doesn't work for me, they just act like jerks and fly over the one's I've already been to.

Anyone have any advice on finding the last 4 without having to resort to the internet guides? I'm waiting to get a certain weapon until I've gotten all 120.

Honestly, I am not sure I believe they will do an Open Air game like this as their next (3D) Zelda. I think we will see something entirely different yet again, perhaps more linear. The Zelda team likes to avoid staleness and even with an entirely different open world they may feel it is too similar to BOTW.

Looking forward to them "reinventing the Zelda series" by taking us back to the forest, volcano, lake, desert, field, and castle again, this time with a new gameplay twist!

I for one absolutely love the freedom and sense of exploration of this game, but much like A Link Between Worlds (another crowning achievement of gaming, mind), being able to do everything in any order runs into a pretty big problem that nobody has been able to solve yet: lack of escalation. Simply put, if every dungeon is objectively equally difficult, then the last ones you complete will subjectively feel much easier than the first ones, both because your character is stronger and because you're more familiar with the game. Normally in a game you want the opposite.

Difficulty isn't flat in Breath of the Wild, though.

Not only are the individual dungeons each of varying difficulty, so are the build-ups to the dungeons, and the enemies scale as you get further into the game.

maxcriden

Shrines are still linear progression tho.

Some even have keys.

Agreed. Especially since the balls are essentially keys.

Our favorite two Shrines so far:

1) Eldin
Goron Coaster's End Shrine. I don't remember the name. This has got to be the most dungeon-esque Shrine we have encountered. It is several areas long and offers plenty of engaging rewards and new mechanics throughout. Each blue flame acts as a key. The skills tested are mainly puzzle-based creativity and critical thinking.

2) SE Island
Eventide Island. Insofar as the whole island is basically a Shrine. Each ball acts as a key. There are several ways to get each key. It's a combination of combat and systems thoughtfulness, patience and creative/critical thinking skills.

We also like when the chest(s) in a Shrine are akin to the challenge of getting a Green Star in a 3D Mario game. I.e., taking the basic condition of the level above and beyond the required parameters for success.

Example:

Sheh Rata Shrine
Speed of Light

The raising water levels are clever and tricky to parse out exactly how you want to work them, especially since as far as we understood it many options are available to you to solve the puzzle. But getting that chest is an additional layer of creative critical thinking akin to solving a satisfying Professor Layton puzzle. Very clever design in that one and getting the chest feels great.

Looking forward to them "reinventing the Zelda series" by taking us back to the forest, volcano, lake, desert, field, and castle again, this time with a new gameplay twist!

Oh, Lex, you know what I meant! I imagine you are just ribbing me. The reinvention I'm referring to is referring to the gameplay systems and conventions of progression. Granted, BOTW itself does not control very differently from any other 3D Zelda. And the setting is more akin to TP and OOT, whereas MM and WW have more unusual aesthetics and Skyward is somewhere in-between. But, yeah, the aesthetics themselves as we saw from some of the GDC info I've seen have been under consideration for more dramatic change. I agree with the underlying point of your jesting if it is that those aesthetics could use some serious shaking up. But, I don't personally mind the reused visuals too much, though I would probably like BOTW better if there were fewer areas of visual similarity both within the game and in comparison to OOT/TP.

Lilo_D

Agreed. Especially since the balls are essentially keys.

Our favorite two Shrines so far:

1) Eldin
Goron Coaster's End Shrine. I don't remember the name. This has got to be the most dungeon-esque Shrine we have encountered. It is several areas long and offers plenty of engaging rewards and new mechanics throughout. Each blue flame acts as a key. The skills tested are mainly puzzle-based creativity and critical thinking.

2) SE Island
Eventide Island. Insofar as the whole island is basically a Shrine. Each ball acts as a key. There are several ways to get each key. It's a combination of combat and systems thoughtfulness, patience and creative/critical thinking skills.

We also like when the chest(s) in a Shrine are akin to the challenge of getting a Green Star in a 3D Mario game. I.e., taking the basic condition of the level above and beyond the required parameters for success.

Example:

Sheh Rata Shrine
Speed of Light

The raising water levels are clever and tricky to parse out exactly how you want to work them, especially since as far as we understood it many options are available to you to solve the puzzle. But getting that chest is an additional layer of creative critical thinking akin to solving a satisfying Professor Layton puzzle. Very clever design in that one and getting the chest feels great.

Yep shrine quest should be counted in the shrine themselves

Oh, Lex, you know what I meant! I imagine you are just ribbing me. The reinvention I'm referring to is referring to the gameplay systems and conventions of progression. Granted, BOTW itself does not control very differently from any other 3D Zelda. And the setting is more akin to TP and OOT, whereas MM and WW have more unusual aesthetics and Skyward is somewhere in-between. But, yeah, the aesthetics themselves as we saw from some of the GDC info I've seen have been under consideration for more dramatic change. I agree with the underlying point of your jesting if it is that those aesthetics could use some serious shaking up. But, I don't personally mind the reused visuals too much, though I would probably like BOTW better if there were fewer areas of visual similarity both within the game and in comparison to OOT/TP.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather Nintendo not treat every other Zelda game like it has to be a benchmark title and instead for them to take a benchmark and explore it further with a bunch of new content and more dynamism.

You can still get monumentally popular, successful, well-loved games out of that approach - just look at Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. The "core gameplay" is largely the same, just with more layers and - importantly - a ton of settings, enemies, and characters that didn't exist in the first Mario game.

What use is a benchmark game if they immediately abandon the benchmark with the next game? I know Skyward Sword isn't the best Zelda game, but it still sucks that so much time was spent on adapting that game for the motion controls only for those controls to be dropped like a hot potato afterwards. The same would be true of the open world structure, physics/chemistry engine, and other trappings of Breath of the Wild.

bridegur

As much as I love BOTW, I just played through Hyrule Castle for the first time, and it's easily the most fun I've had so far. For some reason, the secret passages and rooms feel a lot more satisfying to explore.

As much as I love BOTW, I just played through Hyrule Castle for the first time, and it's easily the most fun I've had so far. For some reason, the secret passages and rooms feel a lot more satisfying to explore.

hnnnnng

for all the complaining I do about the Divine Beasts, I'm really looking forward to fully exploring this once I finish the remaining shrines.

The music also helps.

Get to finally hear the traditional Zelda theme. So good

Neoweee

Yep shrine quest should be counted in the shrine themselves

Yeah.

Talking about Side Quests or Shrines in BotW is hard, because people seem to be parsing out things in a way that makes one sound bad, without any consistent stanards.

Example 1) Side Quests are bad and unrewarding! (but Shrines and Shrine Quests don't count!)

Exampple 2) There's not many interesting shrines! (But region-scale Shrine Quests don't count!)

There's a ton of great stuff that aggregates to something wonderful, but there's so many ways to deceptively dice things up and break things down into worse sounding chunks.

Red

Regarding puzzles, there's not much that can be done to alleviate this beyond actually having different puzzles dynamically swapped in depending on how far you are (and that way lies madness). Enemy-wise, BotW tackles this pretty well on the overworld with progressively more difficult ones, but between dungeons having very few enemies (a problem in itself) and these enemies not escalating, the later dungeons feel like a pushover and aren't very satisfying. I wouldn't surprised if that's the entire rationale between having only four of them and them being short, so that not a lot of development resources are spent on something that will ultimately feel like a formality.

Another approach may be something like having multi-part dungeons, where the first half is a sort of introduction for a particular technique or new item and is available from the start, and the second half is harder and makes you use that technique in more complex ways, but is only unlocked after a particular global progression point. If you're already past this global point, any new dungeons you discover can be played through from start to end. People aren't usually fond of backtracking, though...
I agree re:escalation. BotW is breezy, often serene, and except in short instances never instills a sense of urgency or panic. I understand why some players are made anxious by this. Where I see hidden possibility, they see languor. Where I imagine opportunity, they imagine ennui. But even where I appreciate the pace and scale of the game, I recognize where it could be made more exciting, and I sympathize with the disappointed that it feels Nintendo did not quite manage to create a narrative thrust that carries through from start to end. I simply care less about that. The world is beautiful, often touchingly beautiful. It feels like the product of craftsmen. I enjoy taking the time to explore it and see what has been tucked away between each hill. It feels as if in itself it is meant to evoke the feeling of liberation and freedom that the game makes available through its systems and methods for traversal. It feels like a thesis, a statement of a new ethos, the follow through on a promise made decades ago. To me, the "problems" aren't "problems," they are possible avenues to explore in the future. In the future, let's have that narrative thrust. In the future, let's see how the team moves forward with themed dungeons. For now, peace. Let this be.

My Royal Bow is about to break, and that makes me extremely sad. I know I can't repair items, but can I ever, ever get another one? Is there a way to eventually buy weapons and bows and the like? :(
Get some amiibo and you'll be swimming in Royal Bows. I have like 6-7 right now and I'm constantly dropping the weakest/most damaged one.

Lynel Bows are better anyway though, and reliably farmable.

Reading back the last couple of pages, it seems like a false dichotomy is emerging between those who favor traditional dungeons and those who like the Beasts and shrines. I think there's room for both. I think the main challenge to designing that would be making traditional dungeons which do not require a progression of items.

I do miss dungeons with combat rooms. It was always fun to do battle with new enemies as the dungeons progressed. BotW sacrifices varied enemy types for very well-defined classes of enemies, which is cool, but it does leave a little void. Especially because the only enemies in the Beasts are goopy eyeballs and guardian scouts. Walking into a room in the dungeon and having the door slam down behind you as new foe looms ahead is a timeless "Oh shit, it's on!" moment that I'll always love. EDIT: Though it strikes me that they designed the game to allow for pacifist runs. About the only things you HAVE to kill are the bosses and a few goopy eyeballs. Whatever they're called.

how do i cancel the object i chose to target with sensor ?

Y button on map screen.

Should I hold onto Opal, Luminous Stone, etc? I kind of just want to sell all stones and such.
You need to have quite a few Luminous Stones to max out a certain armor set, though the set has standard stats and is more of a gimmick. But they are easily farmable. Other gems are used in other sets, but they don't require as many.

Should I hold onto Opal, Luminous Stone, etc? I kind of just want to sell all stones and such.

Without being too specific, if you have not yet met anyone who can upgrade your armor, you will want to hang onto them for now. Luminous Stones and Opals seem to be the most plentiful of the gems so you can get away will selling some of them, but you should really just hunt for meat and sell meals.

Set an arbitrary amount you'll hold onto since they do have specific uses, but sell the rest. You don't need to be carrying around 50 of them at all times or anything like that.

If you're still pretty early in the game, feel free to sell any materials you don't have an immediate use for.

jepense

That wasn't really my issue with the game. I just missed traditional dungeons and didn't think the Divine Beasts and Shrines were a sufficient substitute for me since the dungeons where always the main draw of Zelda games to me. BOTW is good, but I enjoyed it a tad less that past 3D Zeldas. I'd probably only put it ahead of Wind Waker and the DS games.

The freedom didn't bother me much. I loved Link between Worlds and that let you tackle dungeons in any order. The only area the freedom bothered me a bit was there's pretty much no present narrative in BOTW, but Zelda games always have shit stories anyway so that didn't affect my opinion on the game much. Just in a broader sense I prefer linear games as they can tell a strong narrative that's difficult to do in open games. But again, moot for Zelda as they've never had strong narratives in the past.
It's perfectly valid to prefer the old Zelda design paradigm. It's a very solid structure which funnels the player through a sequence of challenges. But this leads to an experience whose content and pacing is largely dictated by the developer.

BotW has been designed from the ground up to break the old formula. The result is basically a sandbox, where the player is free to choose what to do and how to do it. Of course this is not everyone's preference, and that's fine. But the game is so highly regarded precisely because a lot of people prefer the new design. (Partially because it is new, partially because they embrace the given freedom.) Spreading out the dungeon-like content makes sense in this kind of a structure, and the beast design also follows the same core idea of nonlinearity.

But hey, there is still the DLC, and who knows what they do with the next installment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom