• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

It becomes really difficult to pry myself away from this game. I only get to play a day or two a week and now I'm binging against my better judgment. I think after this week I'll have to cut back. Two nights in a row I've put in more than six hours. This is not healthy.

It's so prodigiously awesome at nearly every turn. The more I play, the more I find to appreciate. Even my frustrations fade away, since there is so damn much to do. Pursuing a false lead inevitably leads to the discovery of something new and unanticipated.

It really is amazing that this comes together so well. I can't remember the last time I have been so impressed by a game. Maybe never before. It is engrossing to an embarrassing degree. It feels like a personal project, something I am working toward, ticking up accomplishments, uncovering more of the world, and this is possible only because Nintendo has graciously remembered their restraint, and allowed nearly every discovery as my own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you mean a set bonus, as the fairies allude to? If so, the Hylian gear doesn't have one. Just defense boosts. Most other sets do, however.

Thanks. I think I only have two of my other set - I know
goron
has a very expensive headpiece, but do the
climbing and Zora
armours have a third item?

xviper

i have done 71 shrines now and only got 39 korok seeds

i'm having trouble with my inventory, any tips on collecting Korok seeds ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not using horses as much as I thought I would. I think partly it's not wanting to miss anything as I'm still uncovering areas, but also I tend not to take roads. Even going along the zora and goron roads I was actually alongside or over them up on the rocks looking for random stuff off the beaten track. Also trying to reduce ambushes.

TheJoRu

i have done 71 shrines now and only got 39 korok seeds

i'm having trouble with my inventory, any tips on collecting Korok seeds ?

I mean, they're everywhere. Just keep your eyes open at all times for the signs of a Korok being there.
A lot of waters have rings of flowers you need to jump into, if you're on some kind of mountain peak or corner of something, look if there's a lonely rock there as there's likely a Korok underneath.

The rings of rocks you see in places are some of the more obvious and visible ones from a distance.

If you've only gotten 39 it's likely you haven't seen all the major variants of Korok puzzles, so just look for anything suspicious in the landscape at all.

kunonabi

I'm not using horses as much as I thought I would. I think partly it's not wanting to miss anything as I'm still uncovering areas, but also I tend not to take roads. Even going along the zora and goron roads I was actually alongside or over them up on the rocks looking for random stuff off the beaten track. Also trying to reduce ambushes.

Horses are just sort of useless. I basically waited till the end and then just took one big ride along the main roads to catch any shrines and stuff that I missed.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wow, at a Korok puzzle.

It was in that bay where the wind is blowing. if you go on top of the central rock structure there are a ton of small rocks. I thought that had to be a Korok puzzle but couldn't find out what I was supposed to do. Then I looked down and saw a circle of rocks in the water... then I realized immediately that you have to throw a rock into the center of the circle. I love that Korok seed puzzles are just so intuitive with no instructions.

I didnt use horses until the 4th dungeon. You miss a lot of stuff when you avoid the main roads. Shrines, NPCs and other landmarks. Im planning on a massive roadtrip with Epona and gonna try to hit every main road in the map.

NimbusD

Got all 4 dungeons, really friggin hard forcing myself not to rush right to Ganon. I've got 25 shrines left, I can do them first.

One of my gripes with the game so far
is the story is so disproportionately small compared to literally everything else. Been dicking around for most of the 100+ hours I've been playing and still have a shit ton left to do but probably could have 'beat' the game in less than a quarter of the time. Would've appreciated one or two more beasts. Or even more than that, have the quests before the beasts be more substantial that required you to explore like... Idk hebra mountain fir example, for even a bit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Hmm. Would be tempted to have a nicely upgraded set of climbing gear. After 10 hearts finally started upgrading stamina and really liking the extra reach it gives me. Will probably stop at two wheels though, don't think I need more than that but hearts are always welcome (even with + heart food)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can I generate a blood moon just by sitting by a fire over and over again?

I don't think so. At least for me, they fire after you've cleared a certain amount of stuff from the map. The best way to get them from my anecdotal experience is to go around clearing Lynels, then you get Blood Moons pretty sharpish.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can I generate a blood moon just by sitting by a fire over and over again?

Yes. I had to trigger one and just kept making fires and going til the next day, then one day luckily was blood moon day. So you don't actually have to do anything ingame to get one to trigger (though it could be faster), but just idling and resting at fires can make one randomly trigger.

Instro

Yes. I had to trigger one and just kept making fires and going til the next day, then one day luckily was blood moon day. So you don't actually have to do anything ingame to get one to trigger (though it could be faster), but just idling and resting at fires can make one randomly trigger.

Ok cool. I'm trying to do that stupid blood moon shrine quest.

Ok cool. I'm trying to do that stupid blood moon shrine quest.
Don't wait arouns for one quest. Once you notice a blood moon teleport to that nearest tower and race over to the quest spot. Even if the moon isn't still red it will still work, as long as it is still night.

Nictel

Thanks!

Collecting armor sounds fun.
I found the Akalla lab and decided to attempt to kill guardians because I need tons of that stuff. I have the climbing chest and Babarian head. Pretty sure i found both in shrines though, so not sure how to finish the set except for doing a bunch of shrines and hoping to get lucky. I'd love to get the rest but at this point it's feels like a look it up or wander everywhere until I find it. None sound especially ideal.

I'd love to get the
classic outfit and shield. But have no clue how to do so.

If you finish the Tarrey Town quest a merchant appears from who you can buy the sets for I believe 4000 rupees per piece.

The classic one is Amiibo exclusive I think

So since the durability system is so divisive, I think I've got some ideas on how to make it far more palatable rather than replace it entirely. The way I see it, it's basically necessary to make this game as open as it is without making the game a full RPG with stats and shit but not breakable by simply going to Hyrule Castle and grabbing the best weapon there.

1. Implement certain needed QoL improvements such as being able to compare and replace weapons after opening a chest, and radial menus for switching equipment. This is one area I'm legitimately shocked that the devs overlooked.
  2. Start Link off with a "Hero's Sword" and a "Hero's Bow", both of which don't break in any fashion, but the downside is that they both start with 1 attack power. This essentially makes them emergency weapons. The upside is, however, you can upgrade them by collecting a certain number of special collectables littered around the world, mainly through chests in enemy camps and generally exploring the world, but more rarely in shrines. You can eventually max them out to the point where they render most weapons obsolete, but that will take quite a while. Fortunately, acquiring them all would probably also be easier than getting all the shrines. They can also be customised in terms of looks as you go, so you can make your sword and bow look fucking rad if you want.
  3. Champion
    weapons acquired from
    completing dungeons
    are technically 'unbreakable' but they require a lengthy recharge after enough uses
    like the Master Sword
    . A reasonable compromise, I think, in terms of making them more 'special' and more used while simultaneously making players unable to rely on them all the time.
  4. Link can also collect 'weapon mods' that can be used to upgrade the durability and attack power of lower-ranked weapons. They can't be removed once attached, but they return to your inventory when the weapon breaks, with the caveat that you can't equip them to another weapon for a decent amount of time.
  5. Certain tools like torches and sledgehammers have their own inventory slots, but are also functionally useless as weapons outside of outside the box thinking. They mainly exist to facilitate creative gameplay and certain non-combat purposes.

It's not perfect, but I think it'll make it easier to make players think of breakable weapons as 'disposable' rather than stuff they need to hang onto. While it also does add to the number of collectables, it also ensures that camps with chests are something players are more inclined to raid.

Maybe this thing and other potential ideas to improve/replace the durability system deserve their own thread.

Nictel

So since the durability system is so divisive, I think I've got some ideas on how to make it far more palatable rather than replace it entirely.

The only thing I am missing from the weapon sysyem is being able to add the bonuses manually. Though it makes finding weapons with good bonuses that more special.

I think there is a midsection where you are fighting the durability system. Where weapons break quickly and enemies are relatively tough. I can go quite long before my weapons break now where as in the period before the second beast I was struggling with finding enough weapons.

1. Certain tools like torches and sledgehammers have their own inventory slots, but are also functionally useless as weapons outside of outside the box thinking. They mainly exist to facilitate creative gameplay and certain non-combat purposes.

This is an interesting point and something I've thought about too. Though I think it's part of the charm of the game that they were able to squeeze multiple tools into the same, generalized weapon system. Like the fact that hammers, torches, leaves, and boomerangs are all just "normal" weapons is kind of elegant and aesthetically pleasing. It makes the game simpler, that all the tools operate by the same rules.

Chinbo37

Update

- 40 hours approx
- 4 towers
divine beast
- 30 shrines
- 54 korok seeds
- 4,400 rupees

Finally ready to move on from the Zora area. Will head north east to get the upper right corner of the map.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Implement certain needed QoL improvements such as being able to compare and replace weapons after opening a chest, and radial menus for switching equipment. This is one area I'm legitimately shocked that the devs overlooked.

Yes, I think everyone agrees with this. My suspicion is that when this game was Wii U only, the menus were on the Gamepad and you could switch weapons in real time just by using that menu. Then I think they didn't really have time to come up with a better fix than just pausing everything for menu use, leaving our current situation.

What I think needed to happen is:

* The weapon menu needed to be orderable with drop-and-drag or some such.
* As soon as the weapon currently being used breaks, Link automatically takes out the next weapon in order.
* The quick-switch function needed to be made real-time and the same as Skyward Sword's item wheel - use the Switch gyro to select, you can do this in seconds.
* If your inventory is full, after the "Inventory is Full" option, you needed an option to "Swap with one of your weapons?" (Y/N) option. "Yes" automatically opens your weapon inventory, but there is now Replace instead of Drop.

Don't think there's anything else needed.

Start Link off with a "Hero's Sword" and a "Hero's Bow", both of which don't break in any fashion, but the downside is that they both start with 1 attack power. This essentially makes them emergency weapons. The upside is, however, you can upgrade them by collecting a certain number of special collectables littered around the world, mainly through chests in enemy camps and generally exploring the world, but more rarely in shrines. You can eventually max them out to the point where they render most weapons obsolete, but that will take quite a while. Fortunately, acquiring them all would probably also be easier than getting all the shrines. They can also be customised in terms of looks as you go, so you can make your sword and bow look fucking rad if you want.

No. If players get a customizable weapon that they can put cool looks on, you can bet at least some players will stick to using that cool weapon, even if it is weaker, just because cool value. You're reducing the likelihood of some players to try out new weapons and the variety attached accordingly.

Additionally, if the 'default' weapon is a one-handed sword, that automatically biases players towards one-handed swords as the weapon they'll be most comfortable with, and again discourages experimentation. The Master Sword already has this sort of problem, but by that stage in the game it is too late to be habit forming.

If Link does need a weapon always available, I'd want it to be just a basic punch and kick system that does minimal damage - just like I was hoping if you didn't have a bow and used ZR, you'd throw a rock, like Moblins do. Eventide would have been awesome if you had to take on the first few Moblins with nothing but fists.

Champion
weapons acquired from
completing dungeons
are technically 'unbreakable' but they require a lengthy recharge after enough uses
like the Master Sword
. A reasonable compromise, I think, in terms of making them more 'special' and more used while simultaneously making players unable to rely on them all the time.

Agreed. Having one mid-power, rechargeable weapon of each type with some sort of emotional significance, each unlocked in the mid-game to ensure a basic power minimum, is fine by me. Effectively a Master Spear/Club/Two-hander to accompany the actual Master Sword. I find by the time I got the actual Master Sword, I didn't use it that much.

Link can also collect 'weapon mods' that can be used to upgrade the durability and attack power of lower-ranked weapons. They can't be removed once attached, but they return to your inventory when the weapon breaks, with the caveat that you can't equip them to another weapon for a decent amount of time.

Yes to first (ways to add the random bonuses you sometimes see on weapons), but no to returning to the inventory. Make them part of a basic crafting system to make sure items in your inventory are always somewhat useful.

Certain tools like torches and sledgehammers have their own inventory slots, but are also functionally useless as weapons outside of outside the box thinking. They mainly exist to facilitate creative gameplay and certain non-combat purposes.

I don't know about combat useless, per se, but yes, Torches, Korok Leaves, Woodcutter's Axe, and Iron Sledgehammer should have had a separate inventory slot.

My own suggestion is that there needed to be more weapon variety. I think the next big inspiration for Zelda's combat should really be Kid Icarus: Uprising. Blades, staves, claws, bows, palms, clubs, cannons, orbitars, and arms all felt really significant and different and exploring how they altered combat was just incredibly fun. Every weapon ought to have an entirely different hitbox, duration, hitstun, you name it, in terms of their attacks.

Xenoboy

So I beat the game today, have one memory left as well. That was quite a ride,
1st phase of the final boss was really fun, second phase It would have been better if it actually did attacks, it was a bit anticlimactic fighting it, but the atmosphere was there and music was ace in that battle, I had chills.
I'll be playing the game at a slower pace now and am gonna do all the shrines and side quests.

GRW810

Last night I:

• Visited Tabantha for the first time, unlocking the tower (just the region north of it to go).
  • Located my third great fairy and upgraded armor.
  • Returned south to Faron to explore it in more detail.
  • Completed half a dozen shrines, including the
    Hinox brothers shrine quest.
    68 down, 52 to go.
  • Saw - and quickly destroyed - my first bear.
  • Played stasis gold for the first time.
  • Took my korok total past 150.
  • Found the memory at
    the ruins just over the Tabantha bridge.
    Eleven memories found, seven to go, although three of those are story-prompted.
Not my greatest amount of progress in a game progression sense but I felt like I experienced a lot of new things.

jariw

This is an interesting point and something I've thought about too. Though I think it's part of the charm of the game that they were able to squeeze multiple tools into the same, generalized weapon system. Like the fact that hammers, torches, leaves, and boomerangs are all just "normal" weapons is kind of elegant and aesthetically pleasing. It makes the game simpler, that all the tools operate by the same rules.

I agree with this. Having a thing like torch in a separate slot is just old-fashion zelda design.

There's never a requirement to use a sledgehammer, but it's an efficient and durable option if you do a lot of mining.

There's never a requirement to use a torch, but it's occasionally an easier and more durable option if you need to carry fire a long way. Clubs and tree branches fills the same purpose, with less durability.

Korok leaves are (AFAIK) never a requirement,
except for a specific shrine, which provides the leaf.
And a korok leaf can be a very efficient weapon for defense.

So, I finished Zelda: Breath of the Wild today and I had some fun, but I have already played better games.

I like the free open world, where you can go wherever you like. But after some time I just didn't have enough motivation to explore it, because there is not much to explore. The world is huge, but quite empty and repetitive. You only get to see some enemy camps, but they aren't a huge challenge and after some time I just went by, because they weren't worth the effort.

Why? Because of this stupid weapon durability. I don't have an issue with weapons that degrade after some time like in The Witcher 3. But here the weapons break constantly, which is annoying, because you always need a replacement. But it's even more annoying when you go out of weapons during a bossfight and can't fight on. Even bows are breaking, because you are shooting arrows. During the water dungeon bossfight I ran out of arrows, which made the boss a HUGE pain in the ass.

The combat system is ok, but nothing special. IMHO a good evading system is missing. The current one is not good enough and only usable in boss fights. In normal fights it's just not that helpful. And even at the end, when I had 16 hearts some normal mobs could kill you with 1-2 hits. What the fuck? Why do I even care to collect hearts then?

The story itself is also not good, it's just the usual Zelda-story, which is maybe good for a Zelda game. But most other games have much better stories, especially because Link is just a hollow puppet without emotions.

All in all I had fun with it, because the freedom is really nice. But after some time I grew tired of it, because the game is not giving enough reasons to explore the world. Add to that the boring story, the stupid weapon system and the improvable fighting system and you get a game which is quite good, but IMHO nothing special.

7,5 / 10

Rootbeer

Banned
"Under a Red Moon" can kiss my ass.

I'm down to my last 3 shrines. The other two I know where to go and what I need to do. But with this one, I can't get the conditions to work in my favor... ugh
Camped for 20 nights in a row and no blood moon, even after killing some overworld minibosses how in the hell!?

Also killed my first Lynel today. Ate through 2 shields and weapons, all 4 were decent items too. Can't believe I have to kill probably two dozen of these things if I want to fully upgrade the barbarian armor o_O

Lork

I'm down to my last 3 shrines. The other two I know where to go and what I need to do. But with this one, I can't get the conditions to work in my favor... ugh

Also killed my first Lynel today. Ate through 2 shields and weapons, all 4 were decent items too. Can't believe I have to kill probably two dozen of these things if I want to fully upgrade the barbarian armor o_O
You can be a little bit late and still qualify. Don't give up just because the blood moon happened while you were on the way.

Zedark

So, I finished Zelda: Breath of the Wild today and I had some fun, but I have already played better games.

I like the free open world, where you can go wherever you like. But after some time I just didn't have enough motivation to explore it, because there is not much to explore. The world is huge, but quite empty and repetitive. You only get to see some enemy camps, but they aren't a huge challenge and after some time I just went by, because they weren't worth the effort.

Why? Because of this stupid weapon durability. I don't have an issue with weapons that degrade after some time like in The Witcher 3. But here the weapons break constantly, which is annoying, because you always need a replacement. But it's even more annoying when you go out of weapons during a bossfight and can't fight on. Even bows are breaking, because you are shooting arrows. During the water dungeon bossfight I ran out of arrows, which made the boss a HUGE pain in the ass.

The combat system is ok, but nothing special. IMHO a good evading system is missing. The current one is not good enough and only usable in boss fights. In normal fights it's just not that helpful. And even at the end, when I had 16 hearts some normal mobs could kill you with 1-2 hits. What the fuck? Why do I even care to collect hearts then?

The story itself is also not good, it's just the usual Zelda-story, which is maybe good for a Zelda game. But most other games have much better stories, especially because Link is just a hollow puppet without emotions.

All in all I had fun with it, because the freedom is really nice. But after some time I grew tired of it, because the game is not giving enough reasons to explore the world. Add to that the boring story, the stupid weapon system and the improvable fighting system and you get a game which is quite good, but IMHO nothing special.

7,5 / 10

Did you upgrade your armour? Doing that will bring the damage enemies do down and from there the extra hearts are a definite boon (you can last 5-6 hits instead of 1 if you only have 3 hearts).

Anteo

Camped for 20 nights in a row and no blood moon, even after killing some overworld minibosses how in the hell!?

Camping for a blood moon almost never works. Go hunting for overworld bosses and check the sky/ask to the moon guy for a blood moon every night, the game doesnt like to have an empty overworld so it will try to respawn the bosses with a blood moon. Then teleport to the closest shirine when you get one. You dont even need to get there when the blood moon cutscene triggers, you can unlock the shirine a few hours before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, my son want to play. That makes three of us. Ita he school Easter holidays so I can let the two of them fight it out and then I'll use in the evenings I guess. Means no playing on the train though.

Also my daughter figured out the optional chest in one of the early shrines and found a
climbing bandana
which I never managed so I'll have to go back there for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom