• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Finished the game tonight. More than 135 hours, all 4 beasts, 95 shrines and only 115 koroks. The final fights were actually fun, I enjoy them. And spectacular.

My Ganon list ordered by how much I liked them:

Calamity Ganon (I think it was the perfect balance between difficulty, fun to fight and spectacular)
Dark Beast Ganon (not much of a challenge but spectacular)
Windblight Ganon (even if it was easy, the settings and the fight was really nice)
Fireblight Ganon (maybe the most coherent boss in terms of forms and weapons and attacks)
Waterblight Ganon (average everything)
Thunderblight Ganon (maybe the most difficult boss, but not in a challenging and fun way, more like a chore).

Now to find the remaining shrines and those damn koroks. Well, not really all of them.

telasoman

It is good but not 97 metacritic good. Solid 9/10

It is 97 metacritic good.

I laughed.

I most certainly believe that people love this game with all their being. I'm going to start playing it on my friends switch since he just beat it after like 140 hours. Hes never played a game this much in the 10 years i've known him.

I'm just afraid i've become too bitter about games and TV over the last few years, and that the magic will be lost on me.

I should have a decent amount of free time over this weekend, so we'll see how much I spend on it :)

Dr.Hadji

It is good but not 97 metacritic good. Solid 9/10

LOL. BotW got some 9's and 8's along with its many 10's. Your 9/10 rating is already part of its 97 Metacritic score. With the rare level of overwhelming positive buzz its getting it'd say its equally as rare MC average is a great indicator of its potential value among users.

Speely

Banned
I find Major Tests of Strength kinda fun. I do a loop of them every blood moon (in addition to Lynel hunts) just to see what they drop. Sure, the battles are sorta formulaic at this point, but for some reason I find them satisfying. I just do them all with a 2-hander and Barbarian Armor, so they go very quickly as well.

On another note... 5 shrines to go. I've taken things really slowly till now, but now that I am close to all 120, I am searching feverishly. Found one earlier in
Hyrule Castle
that I had no idea was even there even after
beating Ganon
, so that's something I guess. After all the Shrine Quests and all the obvious shrines, it's tough to find the remaining ones (for me.) I don't know how some of y'all found all 120 so quickly.

On the upside, the search has revealed a couple new Lynel spots I missed earlier on. :)

Red

Major test shrines are fun the first time or two. You can always experiment, which is fine, but it would be nice to force the player to change their approach, as the game does elsewhere.

Speely

Banned
Major test shrines are fun the first time or two. You can always experiment, which is fine, but it would be nice to force the player to change their approach, as the game does elsewhere.

I'll agree with that. Would be cool if those guardians had varying types of tactics, more of which were opened up with each blood moon respawn. Randomize which ones they utilize and you have yourself a bit more of an engaging encounter. Not knowing what kind of attack mode they are going into every time would add a lot, imo.

atr0cious

The puzzle is unlocking the shrine tho.
There's a few shrines where finding them is a puzzle, even though finding them is just bomb out a wall. Love the shrine puzzles, found a pretty massive one south of rito. It's always disappointing to me when they just give it to you with no puzzles inside.

jariw

I'm trying to get all armor to 4-star (have defeated 2 divine beasts). The only ingredient I have left is lynel guts.

I can't seem to get red or blue lynels to drop guts at all now...? What's the easiest way to farm lynel guts?

C-kKEzPVoAIwdl5.jpg

Don't know if this is the best Hylian shield you can get(besides durability up+), took me hours of S/L.

Vuze

Man, eff that Lynel thing that you encounter when looking for shock arrows. He's not hard but it just takes so long to get his HP down with my current weapons and at some point he just gets me good.
And also screw the terrible inventory management. Why the hell did the not map the trigger buttons to quickly scroll through the categories, relying on the analogue stick is so idiotic.

E: Finally got him... loot wasn't even that good and now Link gotta eat apple and shrooms for the next days 😳

Firenze1

Banned
Man, eff that Lynel thing that you encounter when looking for shock arrows. He's not hard but it just takes so long to get his HP down with my current weapons and at some point he just gets me good.
And also screw the terrible inventory management. Why the hell did the not map the trigger buttons to quickly scroll through the categories, relying on the analogue stick is so idiotic.

that lynel is the easiest out of 4 different colors. Have fun with the silver one!

i agree about the inventory, it is bad.

GRW810

Having passed 100 shrines, unlocked all towers and spent a decent amount of time in all areas apart from Tabantha and Hebra, I love stumbling upon shrines out in the open. It's such a rare occurrence now that I only have about 15 left to find, and I estimate up to a dozen or so are hidden away in Hebra or are undiscovered shrine quests.

Found a random shrine in Gerudo highlands that I can't believe I hadn't noticed before, another in the desert and one up north in Hebra. All just sitting there, waiting to be discovered.

Also completed the Tarrey Town side quest. The
wedding ceremony
was a fantastic scene. I loved how there were representatives of all different races there, happily celebrating together. Including Link, who had time to clap along as an invited guest of a joyous event in a world full of chaos and horror.

It was just beautiful.

Smellycat

I am trying to farm some star fragments and so far it is not working for me. Has it been patched?

Edit: nvm I did it wrong. You are supposed to wait till the morning first

Red

I've encountered a couple of unique Lizalfos camps, one with enemies climbing on walls and the other on a craggy beach where they were all unarmed, and attacked me by throwing explosive mini-Talus. Wonder why this kind of thing hasn't happened more often. Maybe I've bypassed the fights. I went back to explore the Hateno region last night and my god, did I overlook a lot of the map. I thought I was thorough in the first place. But I found new rivers, bridges, shrines, even a huge ruined palace called the Lanayru promenade.

Anustart

Spoiler for snowy area in the game. Enemy related?

what's up with the rather large, unmoving, impervious dragon thing? Touching it hurt me and has some funny effects of shooting your body upwards

Red

Spoiler for snowy area in the game. Enemy related?

what's up with the rather large, unmoving, impervious dragon thing? Touching it hurt me and has some funny effects of shooting your body upwards
It's part of a quest. Find the head.

graffix13

I am trying to farm some star fragments and so far it is not working for me. Has it been patched?

Edit: nvm I did it wrong. You are supposed to wait till the morning first

Wait until morning? I thought it disappeared/despawned?

I have seen two falling stars and then I haul ass over there. Both times I am literally feet away and then it's sun up and the marker disappears.

Zakalwe

Banned
Gyro aiming: yay nor nay?

I turned mine off as soon as I realised it was there, and I've just got to the point I can headshot fairly reliably after struggling for a while so I'm not sure I want to force myself to re-learn again...

...but I'll consider it if it will improve my experience.

I've never used gyo aiming before, or at least I've used it briefly then turned it off every time.

E: Finally got him... loot wasn't even that good and now Link gotta eat apple and shrooms for the next days ��

The inventory management... I keep thinking it's just me and that I'll get used to it soon, but I constantly try to move categories with the shoulder buttons and I think it's just not intuitive the way it is.

Shoulders should be scroll, triggers should be next screen.

VPhys

Anyone else disappointed in the many blessing shrines? I wanted to do the puzzles.

Sometimes I found it a relief after going through hell to get to some of those shrines. Especially when I was down on health and didn't feel like a major test of strength.

But overall I agree the puzzle shrines are better. I mean, the shrines are the best part of the game.

atr0cious

Gyro aiming: yay nor nay?

I turned mine off as soon as I realised it was there, and I've just got to the point I can headshot fairly reliably after struggling for a while so I'm not sure I want to force myself to re-learn again...
Among other things, don't make horse archery harder than it has to be, gyro aiming is a life saver.

Red

Gyro aiming is great, but you need to get comfortable with re-centering via lock on to be effective in extended shoot outs. It's more granular than using the sticks but it tends to drift uncomfortably off target after a while.

atr0cious

Gyro aiming is great, but you need to get comfortable with re-centering via lock on to be effective in extended shoot outs. It's more granular than using the sticks but it tends to drift uncomfortably off target after a while.
I find I still have issues switching between the stick and gyro for keeping up with moving targets, and end up using to just unlock. The inability to use both at the same time really fucks with my head, too much Splatoon.

The respec option in this game is essential to the point of highlighting I feel. Perhaps there's a quest I missed sending it my way, or I was too enticed by the prospect of buying the house. Using it I've created an imitation of one of my faves- a little something called Souls games.

- Only six-to-eight hearts, 1 1/2 stamina wheels.
- Limited to no +maximum heart heal items
- Unupgraded
8bit Link
armor

Blue Bobokins clock three hearts a hit,
Gaurdians and Lynels
do mega damage, makes
Hinoxes
lumbering assholes again. Oh my. It's glorious and delicious and it satiates my thirst for two hit kills.

Koren

You can only carry one, and the one you get from the chest is the only one can have bonus states.
I considered doing this, but I decided against... Either I never use it, or when it breaks, the hours count for nothing...

But congratulations, that's a great one!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The respec option in this game is essential to the point of highlighting I feel. Perhaps there's a quest I missed sending it my way, or I was too enticed by the prospect of buying the house. Using it I've created an imitation of one of my faves- a little something called Souls games.

- Only six-to-eight hearts, 1 1/2 stamina wheels.
- Limited to no +maximum heart heal items
- Unupgraded
8bit Link
armor

Blue Bobokins clock three hearts a hit,
Gaurdians and Lynels
do mega damage, makes
Hinoxes
lumbering assholes again. Oh my. It's glorious and delicious and it satiates my thirst for two hit kills.

But that means no master sword? You need 13 hearts which if you swap back to 8 after getting it would give you a full second stamina wheel I think?

And how does enemy scaling work in the game? Do they get stronger simply as you kill more, number of blood moons, or based on your hearts? If you avoided killing enemies as much as possible, would you never get silver ones spawning?

I considered doing this, but I decided against... Either I never use it, or when it breaks, the hours count for nothing...

But congratulations, that's a great one!

I'll never use it besides fighting Ganon, either. Just want to see the number. I tried for an hour when I'm at 119 shrines and realized there's no gold bonus. After I beat all the shrines and Ganon, every time it's gold bonus.

But that means no master sword? You need 13 hearts which if you swap back to 8 after getting it would give you a full second stamina wheel I think?

And how does enemy scaling work in the game? Do they get stronger simply as you kill more, number of blood moons, or based on your hearts? If you avoided killing enemies as much as possible, would you never get silver ones spawning?
That needed a preface- you're damn right I'm obtaining the Master Sword in muh Zelda game, no contest. For reference I developed this after two divine beasts and grabbing it.

I am unsure about how avoiding and enemy scaling work, all I know is how the damage is showing up for me under these conditions. I'm fighting Silver Bobokins, but I was before as well. I usually kill most enemies I encounter.

Kangi

Down to six shrines, and of course one of the last ones is an Apparatus one. A three-parter, to boot.

Absurdly terrible in portable mode.

atr0cious

Guys!

Finally snagged a Switch and BOTW.

Anyone have some good Beginner's Tips or an article or two with them?
Go in blind. Finish the great Plateau and at least do the story points until you unlock your tablet in the sister villages before doing anything else. Sell all your gems save diamonds until end game, and anything that looks even remotely interesting, go to it, be it a weird looking hill, or cracks going up a wall. And when you get bored of walking around the giant world, stop what you're doing and head to the castle.

Top Bottom