• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

atr0cious

Couldn't tell you, I haven't even attempted the West and Northwest! I don't even know what you're referring to hahaha
You'll see. And it seems the general consensus is northwest, east or north, then southwest to finish. Started a new run just for this, and if you hop off the plateau, there's a road that takes you almost right up to the NW.

Speely

Banned
Guys!

Finally snagged a Switch and BOTW.

Anyone have some good Beginner's Tips or an article or two with them?

Don't even worry about "playing it right." Just explore and have fun and get creative. It's a huge, wonderful world and you really can't go wrong by just letting your eyes lead you to the next point of interest.

Personal pref: I would upgrade Stamina to at least two wheels asap. Hearts are just potential game over screens, but Stamina is freedom.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm very much looking forward to being free from the shackles of Persona 5 to get into this just as deeply. I'll probably pass 150 hours in Persona; wonder if I'll hit that here.

Don't even worry about "playing it right." Just explore and have fun and get creative. It's a huge, wonderful world and you really can't go wrong by just letting your eyes lead you to the next point of interest.

Personal pref: I would upgrade Stamina to at least two wheels asap. Hearts are just potential game over screens, but Stamina is freedom.

Oh, there was never any question there. I'm putting everything into Stamina asap with just enough health to scrape by. That's how I play most games with upgrades like that. I always prioritize movement, speed, and freedom.

Speely

Banned
Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm very much looking forward to being free from the shackles of Persona 5 to get into this just as deeply. I'll probably pass 150 hours in Persona; wonder if I'll hit that here.

Oh, there was never any question there. I'm putting everything into Stamina asap with just enough health to scrape by. That's how I play most games with upgrades like that. I always prioritize movement, speed, and freedom.

High five. Have fun :)

Red

Found the last great fairy. Finally upgraded my armor. Now I don't die with every sneeze aimed my direction.

I marked a few korok puzzles on the world map, noting where three plants were side by side or there was some interesting structure. I keep running into the stamp limit. It's frustrating.

Enjoyed the "current solution" shrine. I like these circuit-building shrines.

I sure do wish you could button map, though. I would LOVE to sprint by clicking in the left stick, crouch by pressing A, and pick up things with B. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to and, even then, I think it's bad design to ever restrict the character from moving the camera while also sprinting.

But I knew that wouldn't be an option so I'll adjust.

Red

I've been exploring the desert. Tons of korok seeds. I also discovered that clearing shrines
destroys the sandstorms! I have been activating most shrines and skipping them to go back to later, and had no idea they would affect the overworld upon completion.
Now I wonder where else this is the case...

I also found a valley covered in tags. I ran into four ninja-like characters and took them out, but I can't find a way into the building at the end. I went around to the back and found another closed door. There is a hole in the ground nearby, but it seems to have a death barrier about midway through so I can't reach the bottom.

Anteo

I've been exploring the desert. Tons of korok seeds. I also discovered that clearing shrines
destroys the sandstorms! I have been activating most shrines and skipping them to go back to later, and had no idea they would affect the overworld upon completion.

I also found a valley covered in tags. I ran into four ninja-like characters and took them out, but I can't find a way into the building at the end. I went around to the back and found another closed door. There is a hole in the ground nearby, but it seems to have a death barrier about midway through so I can't reach the bottom.

That area is tied to the main quest in the desert. I dont think there is anything stoping you from going in from the front provided that you solve the puzzle first

I just unlocked the mothafuckin Master Sword, bitches. Feels good

Also, which are the best Amiibos? Is there a consensus comparison amongst them all?

Guys!

Finally snagged a Switch and BOTW.

Anyone have some good Beginner's Tips or an article or two with them?
As earlier mentioned... soak in The Great Plateau. Explore it. Figure things out. Learn to cook, learn about your stamina, learn about combat, learn about maneuvering Learn about all of the runes. Go to a cliff or the top of the temple, zoom at that huge mountain in the distance. Watch the grass blow in the wind. Watch the sun rise from a hilltop. Listen to the soft piano that makes up this game's soundtrack.

Take. It. In.

This game is magical. Every time you wonder, "I wonder if..." the game almost always says, "Yes, that works."

You'll be a little nervous to explore outward from The Great Plateau when you clear it, for how soft and fleshy you are. Find courage and venture forth.

Personally, I recommend taking the eastern road. It's the most natural and beginner-friendly progression, and you can always branch outwards.

In my opinion... if you venture east, you find the best story and immersion. It's definitely the most memorable encounter for me. If you venture west, you'll find some good design and some fun areas, with a good powerup. If you venture far west and to the north, you'll get a great tool for exploring, and some feels if you enjoyed Wind Waker. Venture north at your own risk.

Disagree and say far northwestern region, especially for the ability you get that helps exploring.
Spoilers for TetraGenesis:
It's a tie between the Rito and Zora, easily. Medoh and Ruta are the best Divine Beasts for sure. The music and areas are gorgeous, too. Of course, the Gerudo desert is gorgeous at sunset, there's some good night music at the oasis and lookout post, and the Gerudo themselves may be well-written... but those asses remain misandrists even after you save their civilization.

That valley is story-locked, for what it's worth. Explore the desert town(s) and you can return for a real excursion there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think that's the back door

GRW810

Up to 108 Shrines now after stumbling across one in the west and one in Tabantha. I think I have enough marked or listed as a Shrine quest to reach 115 at the moment. Finding the other five might be tricky, but I know there's a bunch in Hebra to locate.

Defeated my final divine beast last night. Really wish I had done the Medoh/Rito quest first. It's a nice and easy build-up, dungeon and boss battle. The Champion power up reward would have come in useful many times earlier in the game too.

265 Koroks now. Found so many in the valley south of the golf mini-game. I realised I hadn't been down there except to play golf so I trekked the whole distance knowing there would be Koroks to find.

FiraB

Banned
This game is great, absolutely love it.

Day Summary 1: Going to go to that tower and unlock that map segment, 12 hours later...

+3 hearts, +2 stamina, 30+ seeds, 20 shrines and three armor sets collected.

Game just loves sidetracking me, not even concerned with the mainstory.

Red

That area is tied to the main quest in the desert. I dont think there is anything stoping you from going in from the front provided that you solve the puzzle first
I searched all over for a puzzle. Maybe I'm missing something. I did figure out the korok statues nearby need
bananas
, but I can't see anything interactive near the door that might unlock it. Could be overlooking it.

I searched all over for a puzzle. Maybe I'm missing something. I did figure out the korok statues nearby need
bananas
, but I can't see anything interactive near the door that might unlock it. Could be overlooking it.
I don't remember a door being there. Did you get to a circular room with a torch in the center?

vsMIC

bananas

it opens up
automatically for a certain quest...

sazzy

Do you know what those ingredients are? I've played with lots of different combos but I can't figure out which food extend stat boosts for a long time.

you need to add shard of farosh's horn to your recipe

its farmable, if you can figure out when and where the dragon spawns

Red

I don't remember a door being there. Did you get to a circular room with a torch in the center?
There are stone slabs covering the front and back entryways. I don't see any circular room. The path through the valley ends with a platform covered in frog statues, the other path ends on a flat platform with an endless pit in the center.
it opens up
automatically for a certain quest...
That's what others have said, though I wonder if there is another way.

There are stone slabs covering the front and back entryways. I don't see any circular room. The path through the valley ends with a platform covered in frog statues, the other path ends on a flat platform with an endless pit in the center.

That's what others have said, though I wonder if there is another way.
Sounds like it's definitely locked for the quest

Anteo

So I just watched my sister defeat
thunderblight ganon
as her first boss and... that looked way easier than when I tried it. The second phase was just breaking his shield once and the one bomb arrow and he was done. I remember it was way longer for me.

Also she was super lucky because on the second phase
thunderblight
teleported and started a spin animation just as she initated an attack and somehow locked
thunderblight
into blocking.

Just "accindentally" talked naked to Hestu.. fun little details this game has. :)
I guess there are ton of other NPC reactions I haven't come across yet.

Fliesen

well, i guess i'm kinda ... 'done' with the game for now?

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/6h7dJxz.jpg[/IMG]
All 3 medals, all 900 Korok seeds, all non-amiibo armor sets fully upgraded ...
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HqByfVQ.jpg[/IMG]
(100% map completion)
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/xEBFqXJ.jpg[/IMG]

i feel kinda empty now :/ - but i got caught up on like ... 50 episodes of podcasts. (also, i should probably subscribe to less podcasts...)
(disclaimer - for Koroks and Monster hunting i did use a map, ... duh
- to be exact, i first used the official printed game guide, but i missed like ... 19 seeds or so, so i had to do some cleanup by ticking off every single seed i had already collected on that webpage (filtered: "hide completed")

Though my quest log tells me i only found "40/42 hidden shrines" - which is kinda weird.
Also, did ya know, you have to 'find' a certain number of named map locations for a full 100% map completion - it's not just the shrines and Korok seeds.

I enjoyed every second of it. Every step you take in this game just feels great.

jonjonaug

Though my quest log tells me i only found "40/42 hidden shrines" - which is kinda weird.

Some of the shrines that are related to hidden shrine quests don't actually need the quest started to find them. If you've already found the shrine then the quest will automatically clear once you start it.

Fliesen

Some of the shrines that are related to hidden shrine quests don't actually need the quest started to find them. If you've already found the shrine then the quest will automatically clear once you start it.

Oh, so i need to find the QUESTGIVER for the quests leading to two shrines that i already completed, gotcha, thanks.

ReBirFh

well, i guess i'm kinda ... 'done' with the game for now?

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/6h7dJxz.jpg[/IMG]
All 3 medals, all 900 Korok seeds, all non-amiibo armor sets fully upgraded ...
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HqByfVQ.jpg[/IMG]
(100% map completion)
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/xEBFqXJ.jpg[/IMG]

i feel kinda empty now :/ - but i got caught up on like ... 50 episodes of podcasts. (also, i should probably subscribe to less podcasts...)
(disclaimer - for Koroks and Monster hunting i did use a map, ... duh
- to be exact, i first used the official printed game guide, but i missed like ... 19 seeds or so, so i had to do some cleanup by ticking off every single seed i had already collected on that webpage (filtered: "hide completed")

Also, did ya know, you have to 'find' a certain number of named map locations for a full 100% map completion - it's not just the shrines and Korok seeds.

I enjoyed every second of it. Every step you take in this game just feels great.

Missing the horse gear. (what is that letter and "gold cake/shit?")

Hey guys. I broke down and finally bought a Switch and BotW. Got it yesterday. Awesome console. One thing is bugging me though... I noticed the colors look really washed out on my TV. Almost like the brightness is too high. Are there any game settings in Zelda where I can change the brightness? I only was able to find a screen brightness setting in the Switches menu but that only effects the switch screen when it's in portable mode.

Koren

Hey guys. I broke down and finally bought a Switch and BotW. Got it yesterday. Awesome console. One thing is bugging me though... I noticed the colors look really washed out on my TV. Almost like the brightness is too high. Are there any game settings in Zelda where I can change the brightness? I only was able to find a screen brightness setting in the Switches menu but that only effects the switch screen when it's in portable mode.
RGB Range mismatch between the Switch and the TV set?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ujpis/psa_rgb_range_guide_for_switchs_tv_settings/

I'm about to venture into Death Mountain with the aim of exploring and defeating the Divine Beast, and I have a few questions:

What's the difference between the Heat-Resistance and Fireproof effects?

I have briefly ventured into Death Mountain before and used Fireproof elixirs (just a lizard and monster parts) and that worked fine. But now as I'm experimenting with dishes and elixirs before my main dive into that region, I'm a bit confused on what's the better option to stock up on... How does a High-level Heat Resistance dish compare to a Fireproof elixir? Also I just made a "High-level Fireproof elixir" (I think that's what it was called, it has two flame symbols in the description instead of one) by throwing in Monster Extract along with the usual ingredients... That surprised me as I didn't think there were levels for the Fireproof effect. What do I need this for?

I'm 115+ hours in and this is my first post in the OT... been taking my sweet sweet time exploring the world before tackling the main quests.

Anteo

There are areas in death mountain where you will be set on fire inmediatly, you need a fireprof buff for that. There are other areas near death mountain were its just hot and you can use heat resist there just like in the desert.

There are areas in death mountain where you will be set on fire inmediatly, you need a fireprof buff for that. There are other areas near death mountain were its just hot and you can use heat resist there just like in the desert.

So Fireproof > Heat Resistance and can substitute for it?

Is it High-level Fireproof > Fireproof > High-level Heat Resistance > Mid-level Heat Resistance... ? Or are there unique uses for HR meals (besides health recovery)?

I haven't been to the desert yet and don't currently have any heat resistant armor.

Anteo

So Fireproof > Heat Resistance and can substitute for it?

Is it High-level Fireproof > Fireproof > High-level Heat Resistance > Mid-level Heat Resistance... ? Or are there unique uses for HR meals (besides health recovery)?

I haven't been to the desert yet and don't currently have any heat resistant armor.

I dont think fireproof stops heat at all, they are treated as diferent stats. You can be in a snow area and be set on fire.

Are blood moons bugged? Have seen them start 3 times, a cutscene plays, and then once that ends it's over.

Also can you check game time?

I've read numerous reports of bugged blood moons. I never encountered them though, and I thought they were fixed in a patch, could be wrong.

You can check the time by using Normal HUD.

I have a question: what's the difference between Defense and Toughness effect?

I dont think fireproof stops heat at all, they are treated as diferent stats. You can be in a snow area and be set on fire.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I used Fireproof elixirs for heat resistance on Death Mountain? I was taking damage by just being in the area, but was fine while the Fireproof effect was on.

Anteo

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I used Fireproof elixirs for heat resistance on Death Mountain? I was taking damage by just being in the area, but was fine while the Fireproof effect was on.

I can confirm that's not the case, at least in the desert. Im with a triple fireprof buff right now and doesnt block the heat.

Edit: Walking around the edges of death mountains right now, maybe there isnt a hot area in death mountain and there is only areas that set you on fire. I remember using my heat proof set there but maybe it wasnt necesary.

sazzy

its a feature of the graphics, esp when it's cloudy, early morning or anytime really in Faron Woods and a couple of other big areas.

Yes, it looks very bad at times.

Top Bottom