• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

The other thing I was wondering about is if there's anywhere you can store items since I have a bunch of guardian++ weapons taking up my inventory space but I don't wanna waste them the caliber of enemies I'm fighting at the moment.

There is:
you can buy a house in Hateno
. It costs a lot of money and only allows you to store 3 weapons, 3 bows, and 3 sheilds.

TheMoon

major lesson: don't be precious about high level weapons. just mash through all the low-level stuff whenever and slap harder enemies with the good stuff. you'll find so much of it, it really doesn't matter. there's no ultimate beast that requires you to have all the crazy stuff. (non-issue once you have the master sword anyway)

Red

Very unfortunate that it happens so often. When I brought it up someone mentioned that you could see upcoming weather in the HUD somehow but I can't see it.

Anyway, I'd previously talked about the music being the Achilles heel of this game and got strong disagreement. Now that I finally opened up all areas of the map I have to say my opinion has only solidified. The Gerudo music in Ocarina was my favorite and the new theme is just bland, like the rest of the game music. The only memorable themes are basically the battle theme and recycled ones.
Flight Range
Molduga Battle
Pick a divine beast
Hyrule Castle uses motifs pulled from past games, but is its own thing
Kakariko Village
Colosseum Ruins
Seaside
Korok Forest
Hateno Village
Kass' Theme
Tarrey Town
Dark Beast Ganon

Lots of good stuff.

major lesson: don't be precious about high level weapons. just mash through all the low-level stuff whenever and slap harder enemies with the good stuff. you'll find so much of it, it really doesn't matter. there's no ultimate beast that requires you to have all the crazy stuff. (non-issue once you have the master sword anyway)

Some people like to collect weapons and try to keep at least one of each nice looking/favorite on hand/in storage. Same with bows, shields, and armor. It's a meta game :)

I know I had a lot of "decision making anxiety" whenever I had to drop some exotic weapon because I found a stronger one (but not necessarily better looking) and didn't have enough inventory space.

Red

I would like to collect one of each weapon for display. There aren't enough spaces in my house. The champion stuff takes up half the space.

TheMoon

Some people like to collect weapons and try to keep at least one of each nice looking/favorite on hand/in storage. Same with bows, shields, and armor. It's a meta game :)

I know I had a lot of "decision making anxiety" whenever I had to drop some exotic weapon because I found a stronger one (but not necessarily better looking) and didn't have enough inventory space.

I learned to let go and just smash away once the inventory limit became too much of a burden to deal with every time a cool looking weapon appeared.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Flight range, the first one on your list, is the perfect example: not memorable, seemingly random piano notes. Very few people will be able to pick out any of these songs out of a lineup in a year. I don't doubt whether they have some sort of technical undergirding that is impressive if you know about it, but think of past Zelda games and how memorable the music has been and I don't think it will happen with this game, with few exceptions. I guess that's the whole approach, to be low key and I'm sure some will appreciate that but it's been a massive dud for me in an otherwise flawless gem of a game.

And that's the last post I'll make about it. It's an amazing game so I don't want to dwell on and argue about the few bad stuff (weather, music) that I don't like.

The Switch profile page doesn't show play activity (to check hours played) unless you link the profile to a Nintendo ID?? That's annoying. I created a new profile to play in Master Mode because I wanted to keep track of how many hours I played on each mode separate, but this has messed up my plan. Can you link two profiles to the same ID?

This is a little off topic but there isn't a thread for asking general Switch questions.

Mezoly

Is there any general guide on how to find korok seeds?
I have the korok mask and even when it shake, I can't find them/recognize the patterns.

The patterns that I recognize:
The apple statues
The lake rock puzzle
The lake diving
The circular rocks
The lone rock

Red

Is there any general guide on how to find korok seeds?
I have the korok mask and even when it shake, I can't find them/recognize the patterns.

Quoting an old post:

There are many different kinds. Some are unique. A few possibilities:
- rocks on top of trees
- metal balls which must be placed into tree stumps
- boulders which must be rolled into holes in the ground
- ice which must be melted
- sparkles in the overworld which must be interacted with—either free-moving or stationary at the top of tall objects like trees or flag posts
- horse jump obstacles that must be leapt in sequence
- pinwheels which reveal balloon or acorn shooting ranges
- offering plates which must be filled (the Necluda region has unique statues)
- floating lily arrangements which Link must dive into the center of
- tree stump races
- stones that must be thrown into rock circles in water
- acorns, found in trees or logs, which must be destroyed
- solitary balloons or hanging acorns which must be broken (often under stone archways or bridges)
- rock circles, spirals, or geometric shapes which must be completed or altered
- metal block arrangements that must be completed or matched to sister structure
- stones to be lifted in the overworld (often found under larger objects which must be cleared, or under leaves which must be burned away)
- flower arrangements which must be touched in sequence
- disappearing flowers that must be chased down
- conspicuous objects which must be lifted or knocked out of place (tree branches, glowing stones, etc)
- fruit arrangements which must be matched across three trees

There is at least one archery range which rewards a korok seed for destroying every target.

I've also heard there are some boulder puzzles that don't feature holes in the ground, but instead use trees as goal posts. I have nearly 500 korok seeds and have not noticed a single one of these.

This isn't a complete list.

The best advice is to experiment. Look for unusual structures or shapes, and explore them. Use your rune abilities. If the mask shakes and there is no obvious target, try scanning the area with magnesis.

Mezoly

Quoting an old post:

This isn't a complete list.

The best advice is to experiment. Look for unusual structures or shapes, and explore them. Use your rune abilities. If the mask shakes and there is no obvious target, try scanning the area with magnesis.

Thanks this list should help.

Yeah I do try ruins when mask shake.

BFIB

115 hrs in and just found wetland stable.

I have all memories cleared, all Divine beasts, 96 shrines done. I feel I'm ready for Ganon, but there's a part of me that does not want this game to end. I might finish all shrines and complete my side quests, but I know I'll want to play again in Master mode at some point. I've also got Horizon begging to be played.

Decisions decisions.....

I bought a Switch and Zelda on a whim this weekend. Does this game play just fine with the standard controller set-up? I really hope I don't have to spend another $70 for a decent controller...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I bought a Switch and Zelda on a whim this weekend. Does this game play just fine with the standard controller set-up? I really hope I don't have to spend another $70 for a decent controller...

What? Just put the joy cons into the grip, the only difference between that and the pro is the shape.

Miletius

Quick Question: I recently got a Switch and this game (along with the expansion pass). I only plan on playing through the game once, since I've started it and I can see how long it's going to take. Would it make sense to do it in Master Mode? I'm all for challenge in games, if that helps with the decision at all. Or would I be ruining the balance in the game (i.e. Master mode was balanced for people who have run through the game more than once).

Jotakori

I got this game recently and hardcore marathoned straight through it (too fun to set down LOL). Finished it just now and aaaaa such a fun and great game!! Got all shrines, think I wound up with like ~150 korok seeds, and surprisingly made it thru all the puzzles w/o having to look up solutions (although vah ruta and that one constellations shrine got me pretty close LMAO those two took me ages).
It's my first experience with the LoZ series -- which I've always wanted to get into but didn't have the chance -- and now after beating this one I super wanna go play the others to expand on the lore and characters/races and whatnot. So really hope some of the older games eventually make it onto the Switch, as well! 😩

Some things I super loved:
The atmosphere/colors of the game, stumbling upon really hard enemies or mini bosses unexpectedly, exploration elements in general and how you can literally climb just about everything, the characters, weather elements (even tho yes that rain was so friggin annoying like oh my god I'm trying to climb here), how creepy they made the blood moon
even tho it's literally just an enemy/item respawn mechanic
, how absolutely adorable Link is LMAO -- and just, so many great things about this game. Too many to list!

Some things I didn't so super love and wish were expanded on:
The music (while it had really awesome moments, a lot of it felt too subtle or not very memorable to me), how little we see of the characters (just cuz I really liked them all and wanted to see more stuff with them -- hoping that upcoming story dlc will scratch that itch, tho!), and wish there had been more outfits/customization options and more/bigger towns.

But all in all my complaints about it are honestly pretty minor when put up against everything that's right, the game is absolutely wonderful and I'm really glad I was able to play it. I think I'm officially locked in to any future LoZ games even if it means buying new consoles just for them LMAO

What? Just put the joy cons into the grip, the only difference between that and the pro is the shape.

It's great with joycons.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to expect, since I haven't even opened the Switch yet. A co-worker who's owned a Switch since launch told me that the Pro controller is the best way to play the game, so I wasn't sure if that meant the normal setup was less-than-ideal or not.

Thanks, guys.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks. I wasn't sure what to expect, since I haven't even opened the Switch yet. A co-worker who's owned a Switch since launch told me that the Pro controller is the best way to play the game, so I wasn't sure if that meant the normal setup was less-than-ideal or not.

Thanks, guys.

The pro is awesome and if you have someone else to play games with you should get it, but the joycons are great too.

Quick Question: I recently got a Switch and this game (along with the expansion pass). I only plan on playing through the game once, since I've started it and I can see how long it's going to take. Would it make sense to do it in Master Mode? I'm all for challenge in games, if that helps with the decision at all. Or would I be ruining the balance in the game (i.e. Master mode was balanced for people who have run through the game more than once).

Master Mode should only be done as a second run, you need to know how the mechanics of the game work to stand a chance. Especially early on.

Anteo

No. You are expected to cheese and abuse anything and everything in master mode, so if you dont know what or where you will be pretty frustated.

DonShula

Thanks, guys.

I'll dissent and say the Pro Controller is quite superior ;)

I much prefer it to the Joycons on the grip. I'd rather play in handheld than use the Joycons on the grip. But mostly it's because the Pro Controller is so good. I prefer it to the DS4 now.

Miletius

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep on keeping on then in normal mode. Maybe BOTW will break my streak of not wanting to replay games after I've finished them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks for the responses. I'll keep on keeping on then in normal mode. Maybe BOTW will break my streak of not wanting to replay games after I've finished them.

To entice you to play again: the final boss is different depending on when you go to the fight.

Very unfortunate that it happens so often. When I brought it up someone mentioned that you could see upcoming weather in the HUD somehow but I can't see it.

Anyway, I'd previously talked about the music being the Achilles heel of this game and got strong disagreement. Now that I finally opened up all areas of the map I have to say my opinion has only solidified. The Gerudo music in Ocarina was my favorite and the new theme is just bland, like the rest of the game music. The only memorable themes are basically the battle theme and recycled ones.

The weather forecast is only on the non-pro HUD mode though. And I totally knew about the apples in baskets korok seed puzzles, just not the apples on trees ones.

Macchiato

Some things I didn't so super love and wish were expanded on:
The music (while it had really awesome moments, a lot of it felt too subtle or not very memorable to me), how little we see of the characters (just cuz I really liked them all and wanted to see more stuff with them -- hoping that upcoming story dlc will scratch that itch, tho!), and wish there had been more outfits/customization options and more/bigger towns.

But all in all my complaints about it are honestly pretty minor when put up against everything that's right, the game is absolutely wonderful and I'm really glad I was able to play it. I think I'm officially locked in to any future LoZ games even if it means buying new consoles just for them LMAO

I super agree with all your opinions.

Also I loved the outfits and I was fine with them, but I so wanted to see Link's glorious unbound hair without a stupid looking hat.

Like I got a taste of how wild and beautiful it was with the
Ancient Helm
but I wanted to see it WITHOUT that.

If the DLC has that I will be excite

watershed

Banned
don't expect too much in regards to how "different" it is, though. it's nothing mindblowing.

I think it is totally mind blowing if you don't know any of it in advance which is how it would happen if you are playing the game without any guides or spoilers.

Whoa I just found a new puzzle type for Korok seed in my master mode play. It's
rock pattern completion puzzle but not a circl
e. I don't think I've seen one of those before.

Also I can't get over how freaking gorgeous this game looks. I'm constantly mesmerized by the scenery.
Such a perfect stoner game :p

watershed

Banned
Are there any secrets hidden behind waterfalls aside from the treasure chests in the small area behind the big fountain on the great plateau? I've checked almost every waterfall I've come across but found nothing.

Holy shit I'm having so much more fun in combat on Master Mode. Part of it is my skills have improved, but the added difficulty complements that beautifully.

Are there any secrets hidden behind waterfalls aside from the treasure chests in the small area behind the big fountain on the great plateau? I've checked almost every waterfall I've come across but found nothing.

I'm pretty sure there is at least
one shrine
behind a waterfall.

After I took a couple of days off from the game I feel burned out on it for some reason.

Like, all that's really left are shrines, seeds, meaningless side quests, and Ganon. About 60 hours in - what did people do with those extra 40-50 hours?

Red

Whoa I just found a new puzzle type for Korok seed in my master mode play. It's
rock pattern completion puzzle but not a circl
e. I don't think I've seen one of those before.

Also I can't get over how freaking gorgeous this game looks. I'm constantly mesmerized by the scenery.
Such a perfect stoner game :p
Speaking of, I just completed an absolute son-of-a rock pattern on the roof of a house in lurelin village. Took three weapons out trying to hit the stone where it needed to be.
If you have the camera, take a picture of a treasure chest and set it on the sheikah sensor. You'll get pinged if there is a chest nearby so you won't need to check every waterfall.

Jotakori

I super agree with all your opinions.

Also I loved the outfits and I was fine with them, but I so wanted to see Link's glorious unbound hair without a stupid looking hat.

Like I got a taste of how wild and beautiful it was with the
Ancient Helm
but I wanted to see it WITHOUT that.

If the DLC has that I will be excite

LMAO Man I didn't even realize his hair was down in that one because I thought it looked so silly I straight-up passed it up! Now I'm curious what Link's hair would look like in this down without a hat, too 🤔

I'll be honest, though, the one thing I really kept thinking 'damn, I wish I could change this' on was the Gerudo top. I wanted to have it without the puffy sleeves so badly LOL

Yay just rode my first deer, had another encounter with Kass and found a shrine. Had completely missed this gorgeous area on my previous playthrough.

Jzero

I don't know why I keep playing this game when I already beat it twice. I can't even find any of the masks from the DLC (and I don't want to cheat yet)

DonShula

maybe reading the vague directions from the quest log is cheating?

Some of them are so vague that they still require some hunting. A few are obvious but a few aren't. One in particular was an area that I'd not had added to my map yet because it was so small and unassuming-looking that I'd been past it and never triggered the name of it to appear on screen.

To be more specific,
the location that implies you should look where prisoners were held is NOT the Hyrule castle prison.

TheMoon

Some of them are so vague that they still require some hunting. A few are obvious but a few aren't. One in particular was an area that I'd not had added to my map yet because it was so small and unassuming-looking that I'd been past it and never triggered the name of it to appear on screen.

To be more specific,
the location that implies you should look where prisoners were held is NOT the Hyrule castle prison.

Same. I had an exchange with someone in the DLC thread (I think) about other locations of the DLC gear. A bunch of the relevant spots are so hard to spot on the map, one is very likely not come across them in a normal playthrough so they remain unmarked.

RE: your spoiler:
but the item was in the prison?! or at least on that peninsula next to some prison rubble. Or did you think it was in the actual castle? The indoor prison? The description said all of them are in Hyrule Field, though!

Top Bottom