• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

DonShula

Same. I had an exchange with someone in the DLC thread (I think) about other locations of the DLC gear. A bunch of the relevant spots are so hard to spot on the map, one is very likely not come across them in a normal playthrough so they remain unmarked.

RE: your spoiler:
but the item was in the prison?! or at least on that peninsula next to some prison rubble. Or did you think it was in the actual castle? The indoor prison? The description said all of them are in Hyrule Field, though!

I thought it was actually in the castle prison. The Hyrule Field thing confused me because I didn't think castle town was part of Hyrule Field and I'd never seen the prison on that little island - I'd explored the forest part and thought the building ruins were just scenery. Plus I didn't think the colosseum was in Hyrule Field either, yet it was one of the locations. I was looking around way south closer to Dueling Peaks because I thought that was more Hyrule Field than the place where the prison ended up being. I think my brain just short circuited when not all of the items were well within the area marked as Hyrule Field and I started looking all over the place instead.

TheMoon

I thought it was actually in the castle prison. The Hyrule Field thing confused me because I didn't think castle town was part of Hyrule Field and I'd never seen the prison on that little island - I'd explored the forest part and thought the building ruins were just scenery. Plus I didn't think the colosseum was in Hyrule Field either, yet it was one of the locations. I was looking around way south closer to Dueling Peaks because I thought that was more Hyrule Field than the place where the prison ended up being. I think my brain just short circuited when not all of the items were well within the area marked as Hyrule Field and I started looking all over the place instead.

at least you got some mileage out of it ;)

literally.

Red

I've been surprised by how many treasure chests are off the coasts. Some are kind of far out. I would never have noticed them without the sensor. Also a reminder, or a tip for anyone unaware: if you see birds circling above the water, there is a good chance you'll find many different fish below them. Drop a shock arrow and it's easy pickings.

DonShula

I've been surprised by how many treasure chests are off the coasts. Some are kind of far out. I would never have noticed them without the sensor. Also a reminder, or a tip for anyone unaware: if you see birds circling above the water, there is a good chance you'll find many different fish below them. Drop a shock arrow and it's easy pickings.

I had fun yesterday wearing the Gerudo helmet during a thunderstorm while farming Stealthfin for the equipment upgrades. Approach and collect for the most part. This game has a lot of delightful moments.

Boney

Banned
You know, I'm going through Master Mode and it kinda hit me that it's very odd there's no rain resistant armor set. Seems like a no brainer.

GoldStarz

You know, I'm going through Master Mode and it kinda hit me that it's very odd there's no rain resistant armor set. Seems like a no brainer.

The Climber's Set basically counters it and has use outside of the rain, so there's not really much point to making one, I don't think.

watershed

Banned

I thought about that too. During my 1st playthrough I actually expected to find a set of armor that eliminated the effects of rain. But it seems the developers really wanted the rain system to impact the game. They didn't want us to be able to mitigate it's effects the way we can hot and cold environments. Maybe they thought it would break the game.

DonShula

Confession of an idiot: I spent literally hours in the Death Mountain area looking for Smotherwing butterflies to upgrade armor. I collected 30, and then realized I only needed 15.

Had the ambient music in my head for days after that.

Deku Tree

Confession of an idiot: I spent literally hours in the Death Mountain area looking for Smotherwing butterflies to upgrade armor. I collected 30, and then realized I only needed 15.

Had the ambient music in my head for days after that.

You can also buy six of them a day from Beetle. And there is a trick to reset his inventory.

Boney

Banned
The Climber's Set basically counters it and has use outside of the rain, so there's not really much point to making one, I don't think.
Oh I'm not complaining, just found it odd as it would be a good skill. Climber's set brute forcing still requires a lot of stamina to push through.

Tunic of the Wild not giving you infinite stamina or speed up or something is just balls. Who cares about alright defense and the MS beam. Overall more skills would've been appreciated for the novelty.

Today me and my friend compared the game running on my Switch and on his extremely beefy PC via Cemu emulator. I don't know if his settings were messed up or what, but he kept fiddling with them for hours trying to match the Switch's image quality and performance, with no luck. Actually it looked fine on the PC monitor but kept messing up when displayed on TV. And good god seeing the game run at 20fps is torture. Is that how it runs on Wii U in many areas?

You can also buy six of them a day from Beetle. And there is a trick to reset his inventory.

What's the trick? And you're saying his inventory restocks every day (real life day I assume, not game day? I didn't know that.

And it's Beedle.

AngryMoth

I'm at 60 shrines now and feeling pretty burned out. The sense of discovery is what makes it this game great but I feel like I've seen most of what it has to offer now in terms of locations, enemies, puzzle types, etc. Is there a rough guide anywhere of cool stuff I shouldn't miss before going to the castle?

Orgen

I'm at 60 shrines now and feeling pretty burned out. The sense of discovery is what makes it this game great but I feel like I've seen most of what it has to offer now in terms of locations, enemies, puzzle types, etc. Is there a rough guide anywhere of cool stuff I shouldn't miss before going to the castle?

I beat the game with 113 shrines the first time and then watched Hero's path... just to discover that I missed several cool places in my walkthrough (like the Colisseum). So with only 60 shrines I'm pretty sure you still have a ton of places to discover yet.

But if you are feeling burned with the game just go to the castle and beat the game ;D

PS: I know this is not the official thread but I beat the Final Trial of the Sword yesterday... man, that last stage! I made a memorable shoot with the ancient arrow that I wish I could have recorded hahaha

Quoting myself from the Switch repair thread:

I sent in my Switch for a repair a month ago. I got it back, and since then I've been busy and out of town and didn't really have time to play Zelda. Also I've been playing Splatoon.

So today I try to boot up Zelda and I get a message saying "Please insert the game cart" or whatever and I'm like "lol it's already there, wake up" and I even check the case to make sure. But then my roommate reminds me that I sent it in for repair and maybe they took it out.

So either they forgot to give me back my Zelda cartridge, or they did and I threw it away, not realizing that it would be anywhere other than inside my Switch.

I called them and they gave me a free download code for it, but I assume the save data was attached to that particular cartridge and is now lost forever. Soooo I guess that's that for Breath of the Wild. I enjoyed it while I had it.

Someone mentioned that save data will work on another cartridge. Is this true? Will it carry over to a digital copy as well?

Quoting myself from the Switch repair thread:

Someone mentioned that save data will work on another cartridge. Is this true? Will it carry over to a digital copy as well?
Why not download the game and find out?

The save files are stored on the system, the Switch cartridges don't have any writable memory. So pretty sure it works with any cart of the game (even different region I believe).

I think I read someone in another thread confirming his Zelda save carried over from cart to digital download, but I'm not sure.

Okay guys curious about a few more things. I've done all four of the Divine Beasts. Pretty much gotten everything but I'm still exploring finding Koroks, Shrines, or Sidequests I may have missed. It's amazing there are still new places I've found and I still can't find that Bolson guy people are talking about. I kinda want to ask where he is, but at the same time, I don't want to know in hopes of making the satisfying discovery myself.

I haven't bought the DLC yet, but I know it has things like that Korok Mask that lets you know where Koroks are nearby. Is it strictly Post-Game content or is there stuff I can use in my current game?

How do Set bonuses work? I mean I've been using the Climber's set for a while and seemingly JUST noticed the Climbing Jump Stamina bonus that I could've SWORN wasn't there before. Are there bonuses that kick in when you upgrade them to a certain point or something? It's very confusing.

Also, I was just curious how the Weapon Bonuses work. It seems at the beginning of the game I was getting plain weapons and bonuses were very rare but now when I pick up an enemy weapon or happen to find one lying around or whatever it's got crazy bonuses like Attack +13 or something. Is it because I've found so many shrines or gotten so many hearts or what? I've also noticed more areas that have the tougher "white" enemies like Moblins and Bokoblins. I want to think they're related?

Boney

Banned
Just encountered a "this is odd" moment, which I think also went through my mind the first time. Approaching Keeha Yoog Shrine, the one about firing a thunder arrow at a mountain side, there's a large structure of ladders to climb the steep mountain side. Great for players and I suppose for world building for an archeological study of the runes or something. But there's also a crater with an upward draft right there! Offenring that convenience makes the ladders feel pointless and not memorable.

Oh well.

Go beat it and come back if you want to keep exploring. The game is more about the little things rather than grand spectacle so it's hard to say what you can't miss if you're rather uninterested. I guess beating the 4 beasts, the memories and the master sword are the big things you kinda have to do to skim over the game.

One of my favourite moments is the Lover's Pond sidequest. Which is just a humorous tidbit about adolescent love. But it's great because of how absurd it's structured.

Okay guys curious about a few more things. I've done all four of the Divine Beasts. Pretty much gotten everything but I'm still exploring finding Koroks, Shrines, or Sidequests I may have missed. It's amazing there are still new places I've found and I still can't find that Bolson guy people are talking about. I kinda want to ask where he is, but at the same time, I don't want to know in hopes of making the satisfying discovery myself.
Bolson is the head of the construction company and Hudson is the guy linked to Tarrey Town sidequest. You need to do a different quest that sets the Tarrey Town quest in motion.

I haven't bought the DLC yet, but I know it has things like that Korok Mask that lets you know where Koroks are nearby. Is it strictly Post-Game content or is there stuff I can use in my current game?
Everything is integrated. New sidequests appear even on a new game, and all items are hidden throughout the world. They're not handed over. Trial of the Sword is also possible after you get the Master Sword. There's the Hero's Path map functionality which traces 200 hours of running around on the map and it does track everything before you buy the DLC as well (not sure why it's DLC and not just part of the update). The only post game part is Master Mode (Hard Mode) which isn't that special to be honest, especially for since it's paid for.

How do Set bonuses work? I mean I've been using the Climber's set for a while and seemingly JUST noticed the Climbing Jump Stamina bonus that I could've SWORN wasn't there before. Are there bonuses that kick in when you upgrade them to a certain point or something? It's very confusing.

Also, I was just curious how the Weapon Bonuses work. It seems at the beginning of the game I was getting plain weapons and bonuses were very rare but now when I pick up an enemy weapon or happen to find one lying around or whatever it's got crazy bonuses like Attack +13 or something. Is it because I've found so many shrines or gotten so many hearts or what? I've also noticed more areas that have the tougher "white" enemies like Moblins and Bokoblins. I want to think they're related?
Great Fairies explain the Armor Set bonuses. Some sets (not all) have a special skill activate if you equip 3 parts and have each of them upgraded to Level 2 or more. So you're right, it wasn't there beforehand.

Weapon bonuses start appearing from Silver enemies' weapons or from treasure chests after completing a few Divine Beasts (since the treasures are all fixed, but they throw in the stat boosts to make them a bit better). There's not many skills. Attack +, Extra Durability, Long Throw and Critical Hit (combo ender attacks act like a when a weapon breaks, 2x damage and extra knockback).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Set bonuses only kick in when you're wearing enough of the armor and the armor is at level 2.

Also, yes, the more shrines you do the better the weapons get and the harder the enemies get.

Red

Set bonuses only kick in when you're wearing enough of the armor and the armor is at level 2.

Also, yes, the more shrines you do the better the weapons get and the harder the enemies get.
Shrines don't alter enemy difficulty or drops as far as I can tell. You get better weapons by collecting weapons. Enemies get tougher by being repeatedly defeated and respawned by blood moons. The more you kill the harder they will be and the better their equipment will be.

Is Pro HUD recommended for a first playthrough? I like the immersion factor when Pro mode is enabled, but I'm really early into the game and don't know how important the sound, time of day, and temperature meters are...

Red

Is Pro HUD recommended for a first playthrough? I like the immersion factor when Pro mode is enabled, but I'm really early into the game and don't know how important the sound, time of day, and temperature meters are...
They aren't very important. Pro HUD is the way to go.

grimmiq

Did I make a mistake in boosting my Stamina? I have 6 hearts, which I thought would be enough for where I'm at (beat w
aterblight
with 3), now I'm at t
hunderblight
and I get 1shot constantly, was running short on food so went hunting/cooking, I keep coming across random enemies that can also 1shot me, not even giant dudes, just regular lizards. I've gotten to the point where I'm just tossing anything 2handed because 1 missed dodge = game over.I'm wearing the radiant armour right now.

Red

Did I make a mistake in boosting my Stamina? I have 6 hearts, which I thought would be enough for where I'm at (beat w
aterblight
with 3), now I'm at t
hunderblight
and I get 1shot constantly, was running short on food so went hunting/cooking, I keep coming across random enemies that can also 1shot me, not even giant dudes, just regular lizards. I've gotten to the point where I'm just tossing anything 2handed because 1 missed dodge = game over.I'm wearing the radiant armour right now.
You can still dodge with two handed weapons. Try boosting your stats with food and upgrading your armor. You don't ever really need hearts outside one optional item sequence.

TheMoon

aterblight
with 3), now I'm at t
hunderblight

There are no mistakes. No permanent ones anyway. You can swap your hearts for stamina and vice versa at any time (for a small fee) once you found a certain NP...C(?).

Orgen

Do chest treasures respawn? (With a Blood Moon maybe?) I thought they didn't but now I'm not so sure (picked up some chests from Zora's domain that I was pretty sure I picked earlier on my walkthrough)

So you can really pick all the treasure chests from the overworld? Mmmm maybe I have a new objective after I get the Milton medals and the Korok Seeds :D

My friend claims to have picked up all treasure chests in the world but once told me that there were a few respawning ones due to a bug or something.

Orgen

My friend claims to have picked up all treasure chests in the world but once told me that there were a few respawning ones due to a bug or something.

That's my issue. I remember getting all the treasure chests from Zora's Domain (with the help from the Slate) and now I came back and there were some chests respawned :| Anyway, I'll try to get as much as chests as I can when I go for all the Korok Seeds.

AzureFlame

100%ed the game finally, got all the seeds and everything else and it took me 200 hours, still haven't updated the game for dlc 1, I'll wait for dlc 2 and then I'll play both.

I had a blast playing this game, it did have some flaws like the disappointing main dungeons but overall i loved it alot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is this a bug or a secret? Near the
lost woods
there is a chest spamming all the time for me. Couldn't get one to open as they kill me on contact, but I found it 20 minutes ago and it's still doing that.

https://youtu.be/ReiO0CyxeEQ
Yeah I ran into that and posted about it in one of the Zelda threads. It was weird seeing the chest disappear down the hill then fall out of the sky again over and over. It was like someone merged Portal with BotW.

Deku Tree

But I'm playing master mode and there was nothing floating around. Only the chest-bomb.

If you Google around there are several posts on Reddit and elsewhere about people experiencing chests falling from the sky since the DLC1 dropped. I havent thoroughly read about it.

Finished this up couple of days ago and enjoyed, not my fav Zelda, probably not in my top 3 really but did enjoy, finished with around 72 shrines done,I wish Nintendo had some trophies to motivate from finishing up shrines, side quest, seeds etc, the game was just beautiful. Overall I give botw a 8. I hope the go back to old form with this art.

OCD Guy

I can't get used to having no direction. A side quest will come up but I have next to no guidance.

I'm told what I need to do, but no idea where to go to do it.

TheMoon

I can't get used to having no direction. A side quest will come up but I have next to no guidance.

I'm told what I need to do, but no idea where to go to do it.

Quest markers are on the map. You can activate them as in any other game. Reading the quest description also guides you. Learn to have some agency, don't wait for some magic arrow to carry you through the game.

OCD Guy

Quest markers are on the map. You can activate them as in any other game. Reading the quest description also guides you. Learn to have some agency, don't wait for some magic arrow to carry you through the game.

I know that, and I'm aware that you can activate a quest at any point. However some side quest markers only take you to the person that gave you the side quest.

I guess I'm just used to games where the quest marker changes location e.g goes from the place where the quest was given, to then where the next step actually is.

Top Bottom