• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

spock

So I'm probably 75 hours plus in. I still have some big things to complete but I also think I should have completed things quicker at around 60-65 hours. It was around that point that while the game was still amazing me I could feel things taking longer than I wanted in some spots. Still playing, in bursts. Still a top 3-5 gaming experience for me as well.

sanstesy

I will say I do think they could've gone more interestingly in the rewards category. There's a lot of complaints about discovering new areas and quests only to be rewarded by a handful of things (rupees, korok seeds, shrines). Couple that with the fact that many people feel weapon rewards aren't much of a reward due to the durability system, and armor rewards are doled out too few and far between, and we have a reward "problem". Although I never felt that way, personally.

However, I do think they could go the Skyward Sword route and have upgradable equipment via other collectibles. Find X things to upgrade your sword, or maybe even add some moves to Link's moveset. Obviously, they'd need to be pretty careful here. The last thing I'd want is an upgrade tree or weapon crafting, it would distract from the main adventure and make busywork.

Also, they could hide some more sidequests in really wild places. Most sidequests start in towns or stables and puts the player on the path to interesting places on the map (which is cool), but it would be cool to reverse that some more. Give a sidequest out in the middle of nowhere, and end it at a town or somewhere completely different. Finding the sidequest becomes the exploration reward. I think that's very cool. Exploring to find new interactions and sidequests, to me, is much more interesting than finding a korok seed or 300 rupees. One of my favorite memories of BotW was in the the
jungle of Faron where I saw Kass, and the quest was to find the Serpent's Mouth. I battled through ruins in the rain for about an hour before stumbling upon a giant open mouth serpent statue with a shrine.
Just a really cool progression. And it was kicked off by me exploring and ended with me exploring. Even though the reward was simply a shrine, the sidequest experience was the initial exploration reward in and of itself.

A few sidequests already do this in BotW, but not too many. All the Kass quests, which is probably why people love them so much. A few others as well, but most are at or near towns or stables.

Anyway, the discovery of new areas was reward enough for me 90% of the game, but I get the complaints. I think this can be improved in a sequel (if we ever get one like this).

Still, at the end of the day, BotW is the best open world game I've ever played and the most fun I've had exploring a world basically ever.

What would you want more from rewards, though? I actually feel the game already gives you too much in that 50 hours into the game you are already too OP with the Divine Beast rewards.

what's a good one to watch right now?

This is the one I watched.

Chaos17

This is pretty much how I feel although I'd still put it ahead of Wind Waker and OoT. The whole "see that mountain, you can go there" thing sounds great in theory but when the payoff for getting there is almost always underwhelming and expected it's hard to really care. That might be ok if the journey there was something special but the game doesn't play well enough to be all that exciting when you run into the same stuff again and again.

The game never peaks and never really becomes more than the sum of its parts. Despite all the attention to detail and nuances the core of the game just feels hollow. This feeling is everywhere from the lackluster dungeons and bosses, rewards, the music, and the climax, if you can even call it that.

For all the talk of freedom and no hand-holding I've never felt more restricted. You want to use those gear and and weapons? Screw you, lightning storm, excessive repair fees, etc. Trying to grab that korok seed up there? lol, it's raining and how about some constant interruptions from instantly appearing enemies too. Want to upgrade a whole bunch of gear? nah, arbitrary restriction on how many things you can upgrade at once.

The game is too determined for me to operate under it's own guidelines that only serve a function early on. I've already beat the game let me just play how I like.

For me BotW is like a sports car. It's looks great sitting in the garage but when it comes to everyday use in the city, the insurance, the maintenance, etc. it's just more aggravation than anything else.

It's a fine shell of a game but I think the late removal of the gamepad and the copy-paste approach to trying to fill such a huge world really hurt it.

This is something is really showing how much the previous AAA open world games brainwashed people if you felt restricted in this Zelda. Just try to check the thread: Oh my god I didn't knew I could do that

And ask you: Have I tried to play out of the box or did I just played this game like a bot in other previous AAA games ?
I'm telling you this because we've seen a lot of people not be able to be a kid and they play this Zelda like a normal a-rpg (see mob, draw sword go kill it with 0 imagination and hope to see super XXX moveset skill) which has 0 option for you to have fun.

This is an important question for all of people who couldn't felt any connection because the game did not held you hand (gameplay and story wise) and so you couldn't connect with it. Because it's really sad that gamers are now at this point because before we starved for freedom (era of open world games) but now a lot realize that they don't want that at all that freedom because some AAA brainwashed them to not think by themselves a little bit.

So I'm glad that this Zelda exist and kick some people out of the nest.

p.s: this is not a complain or negative reply toward the person I qutoed but much more of "what, we player became and want?" Because clearly there is a gap now between people who craved for freedom while now they don't want it anymore (just a little bit but not a lot) but instead want an interactive tv show. Are we still gamers ? Because a lot can be concluded just by reading the OT of the Zelda threads.

psyfi

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't think BOTW feels all that much like Zelda 1? The fact that it only has four very simple dungeons doesn't help, and the fact that they're all out in plain sight rather than hidden REALLY doesn't help. A Zelda game can never be a TLOZ successor without totally obscure, unmarked dungeons, imo.

They nailed the openness, but that's not all it takes to fill the shoes of TLOZ.

Smellycat

Love the subtitle!

Closing in on 250 hours with 1 beast done, 50 shrines, 300 korok seeds and only a third of hyrule expored. Believe it or not, I have not set foot into at least 5 regions yet.

Last session I put on my old clothes and took up a fisherman's shield, fishing harpoon and went fishing on the raft in lurelin. Had the best time

I do not want this game to end.

o_O

Woohoo mostly done with the game now, I’ll post some complete thoughts.

They made a different game
Perhaps what’s most surprising about Breath of the Wild is that it’s really a very different game from past Zelda games. It’s not just “Ocarina, but bigger and more polished”. No, they finally stepped out of Ocarina’s shadow and made an entirely different game. BotW is not a game about progressing a story and beating dungeons along the way leading up to a final boss-- instead, it’s a game about exploring a vast world and finding 120 shrines, with a few dungeons added as nice climax points. Structure aside, the core game systems -- like the armor and weapons and general resource management -- make the game feel very, very different from older Zelda games.

A modern day Zelda 1
But if I had to pick another game in the series it feels most similar to, I might choose Zelda 1. What was great about Zelda 1 is how much time you can spend just wandering and discovering (or not discovering) arcane secrets. Breath of the Wild is now the only other game in the series to really make “wander and discover secrets” the core driver of the gameplay. I’d been waiting for this game for a while, and they finally delivered.

Go anywhere, do anything you want
So… BotW has no order to doing anything. The game provides some loose guides to follow if you choose, but really, it’s so much up to you to do what you want. You set your own agenda.

This felt amazing. Whenever I was doing something, I felt like I was doing it because I wanted to, not because the game told me to. And this actually gave the me a greater sense of urgency than I have gotten from playing linear games. Especially in the first ~50 hours of the game, it was incredible how busy I felt, like there were so many things I wanted to do all at once. I think it’s a remarkable achievement of game design that a game which is so directionless can nevertheless feel so urgent.

What a radical departure from Nintendo’s design philosophy
They finally did what fans have been asking for: stop hand holding. Let us die: let us experiment, fail, and try again. Let us get lost.

It’s surprising how much of a departure this is from recent Nintendo titles. I hope they keep this up, and that BotW isn’t an anomaly.

More like Banjo Kazooie/Super Mario 64 than Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy
There’s a longstanding debate as to whether Zelda is a JRPG, and this is game offers the most definitive “no” of the series so far. In a JRPG, the core of the game is the combat system. And while combat is a big part of BotW, I would argue that it’s not the most core part of the game. Instead, the real meat of BotW is… environment traversal. It’s almost like a platformer in a sense, though it’s not about jumping from platform to platform. It’s about climbing, gliding, surviving harsh weather, searching for hidden shrines and items, solving physics puzzles, being attentive to out-of-place rocks, solving riddles about shadows, finding the ideal locations to snipe
dragons
from, guiding
a letter downstream
, carrying
an ice block in the shade
, etc. I could go on and on, but the point is: The core of the game is really about dealing with the environment, and monsters are just one aspect of that environment.

A nature lover’s game
I’m surprised I haven’t heard more people talk about this: BotW is a great nature lover’s game, one of the best ones I’ve played. The nature is really beautiful in this game. And it’s hard to explain why, but it really feels like nature. It just feels right. I really like how the game has large stretches of land that are just peaceful, with a few animals around. BotW’s world can be both peaceful and incredibly scary. Just like the real world.

A world that’s fun to play in
The true, absolute best thing about the game isn’t that the world is so big, but that the world is just so fun to play in. It’s fun to dash, climb, and glide. It’s fun to catch, ride, name and raise wild horses. It’s fun to hunt and cook. It’s fun to sneak attack enemies, it’s fun to engage them in one-on-one combat, it’s fun to kill them in tricky ways with arrows or exploding barrels or metal boxes. It’s fun to catch updrafts on burning grass and use bullet time arrows. It’s fun to shield surf.

Even if you’re not trying to accomplish a specific goal, it’s just fun to mess around in this game.

Fully generalized game systems
Part of what makes BotW so fun to play is that its game systems fit very naturally together and aren’t segregated to special situations. Compare to previous Zelda games. Shield surfing isn’t just something you do in one place, you can do it anywhere. Picking up enemy weapons doesn’t just happens a couple of times, it happens everywhere. Bullet time arrows aren’t some special QTE, they can happen everywhere and you’re in full control during them. Boomerangs follow the exact same rules as other weapons, just with a different flight pattern. And the items of the game aren’t just used in a specific dungeons to solve specific puzzles, but they’re used throughout the game in lots of situations.

The developers stated they wanted to create gameplay systems with simple rules that lead to complex, emergent behavior. They absolutely succeeded.

A special shoutout to the armor
I’m always a fan of visible armor in games -- it’s fun to dress of my character to look cool. BotW way overdelivered on this front -- there was a lot more armor than I expected, and it was all great!

The story
(I already posted this as a separate post, but to repeat):

I enjoyed the story a lot more than I thought I would. It's a small but personal story, and that's a great way of grounding you in the large and epic world.

The story really isn't about a world ending calamity. It's about the relationship between Zelda and Link. I can see how some people would find that disappointing, but personally I enjoyed it a lot -- there's a good setup and a good payoff. And anyway, I think the big epic story is actually the one you create yourself by exploring the world. I certainly have stories to tell about my time with the game.

Any flaws?
I have to say it: the tests of strength are repetitive. Once I got strong enough, I could finish them super quickly without any trouble, so it’s not like they were bad, exactly. But they didn’t add positive anything to the overall experience, either. Puzzle shrines were way better. And it’s not like I’m against the idea of there being so many combat shrines, I just wish they could have mixed them up more. They could have been more creative with adding extra twists to them, at the very least.

Concluding thoughts
This game is Zelda 1 x Skyward Sword x Portal x Mario 64 x Xenoblade x Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind x IRL hiking. And it’s the greatest thing ever.

Actually, no hyperbole, this is now my favorite video game. I do recognize it has flaws, but I still can’t think of any game I like more.

Agree 100% and I too was super impressed with the way nature is portrayed in this game, it's just incredibly immersive, and huge part of it is the sound design in this game which I think is the best I have heard in any game. Playing this game with headphones really transports and puts you inside this world. The behaviors and movements of animals are very well done also, they put a lot of care into them. Also, the cooking system makes you so invested into the world, you become so knowledgeable of all the different species, where to find them, what they are useful for... and you learn all this just by doing and playing, in other games this would be the shittiest homework ever, here it just becomes second nature and it's fun!

Steejee

So random question - anyone know how many tests of strength shrines there are? I'm at 63 shrines I think and only encountered 4 or 5 so far, which is not too bad a ratio. If the game on whole has just 9 or 12 (3 or 4 of each tier), that wouldn't bother me too much even though they missed an opportunity (either by having the shrine itself have a different layout or having multiple enemies) to vary them up a little or have a fourth tier of test.

On the discussion of the gameplay 'loop' and the open worldiness - I can't think of *any* other game I've ever played where I can wander around aimlessly for hours and enjoy myself the whole time. It's almost absurd to me how good exploring is. The lack of hard rewards the bulk of the time, aside from a korok seed here or there, almost enhances it. I feel no obligation to go anywhere, I just want to check out the view or see what neat thing they put in a spot, and if something new is there it just is a cool bonus.

Though I was somewhat disappointed in one spot - near lost forest
Mekar Island - went there at night, fought some skeletons, blood moon popped up mid fight, fought a bunch more, then island had...nothing? Amber beneath the one rock, nothing else, not even a korok seed. Kinda surprised me.
The darkness shrine quest made up for it. I had a meteor rod and basically ran around lighting everything on fire to run through that. I had come into the shrine via air and drowned a few times though - ended up pre creating an ice block to grab onto.

Koren

What would you want more from rewards, though?
I would have welcome more respawning weapons, or maybe it's just that they're so well hidden that I can't find those.

Why do I keep finding respawning large flame swords everywhere instead of other weapons? ^_^

Out of curiosity, can you find all weapons again, or is there one-time-only ones?

sanstesy

Am I the only one who doesn't think BOTW feels all that much like Zelda 1? The fact that it only has four very simple dungeons doesn't help, and the fact that they're all out in plain sight rather than hidden REALLY doesn't help. A Zelda game can never be a TLOZ successor without totally obscure, unmarked dungeons, imo.

They nailed the openness, but that's not all it takes to fill the shoes of TLOZ.

The shrines are that in spirit. How you find them is exactly like you would find one of the dungeons in the original Zelda.

Neff

New OT!!!!!

I'm 65 hours in. Love it so much.

Can anybody see themselves replaying this game again from scratch??

I already did after a 70 hour game, ending with beating Ganon.

I was honestly amazed by how differently things turned out on my second run, and how much I'd missed. It felt like a new game at points. I'm still playing it and loving every minute.

Branduil

The shrines are the successors to LoZ's hidden dungeons.

psyfi

Banned
The shrines are exactly that. How you find them is exactly like you would find one of the dungeons in the original Zelda.
Some are like that, but many are out in the open and pretty obvious. The ones that are hidden are pretty fun to find though! But I'm talking about dungeons, not shrines. The feeling of finding yet another shrine out of 120 feels a lot less exciting than happening across a dungeon in a random cave system or in the trunk of a tree.

NEO0MJ

I'm avoiding all Zelda threads because of spoilers but I'm running in here real quick because I have to say something.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING!

So well thought. Everything about it is perfect. Ugh.

And I just found out that Wolf Link helps you track items. Time to tag treasure chests and let it do the job.

Sammy Critics 10/10.

Yes but is it as good as Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Can you find a horse with all stats are 4 without amiibo/epona?
Giant horse
has infinite stamina but good luck mounting it though. You have to smash the L button like there's no tomorrow. I found it once but couldn't control it.

2017030613570100_F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

The dungeons aren't exactly unmarked. Trees with gaping mouths and agape double-wide cave-like entrances with their own dedicated screen make them obvious once you find the screen. Obviously Level-9 and the like are more hidden but yeah. But then there's also the whole trial-and-error element of bombing every other flat surface on specific screens to find some of those hidden areas (Spectacle Rock, the heart container in the huge boulder near the seaside).

My point I guess is, I think this is as close a successor to Zelda 1 you could get without literally restoring "old games" conventions that exist because of limitations. Completely hidden/invisible dungeons only really work in Zelda 1 because the map is WAY smaller to traverse and over a bit of time you learn the systems of how rooms are usually hidden (under bushes, behind flat walls, only 1 sub-area per screen maximum).

(Also some of the Zelda 1 dungeons are about as simple to beat as your average BotW shrine.)

Manac0r

Being playing this since release, exclusively. PC and PS4 collecting dust... but what is scary to me: I feel I have barely scratched the surface.

Not complaining, but there is something about the openness of this game, that means if not directed properly you can play for hours and make very little progress.

Anyway absolutely having a blast with the games, and it's been a while since I have been kept in the thrall of a single game.

It's just I hear the lure of Persona 5 calling me but... I'm trying to stay the course...

sanstesy

Some are like that, but many are out in the open and pretty obvious. The ones that are hidden are pretty fun to find though! But I'm talking about dungeons, not shrines. The feeling of finding yet another shrine out of 120 feels a lot less exciting than happening across a dungeon in a random cave system or in the trunk of a tree.

Definitely but I was just responding to the "it doesn't feel like the original Zelda" when the exploration itself surely does.

Apt101

I killed a blue hinox. FIrst I kept rolling bombs onto it from a hill as it slept. It would get up, look around, and go back to bed. After five minutes of that I positioned my self just behind a hill where it couldn't see me, and timed arrow shots to strike it in the eye. It never knew where I was.

Got a great halberd, good sword, and the best bow I've seen so far. Also toenails and tons of roasted food.

Stopdoor

You know, less marked dungeons would have been pretty cool. The world and villages could be built around hinting toward their location so it's not a complete needle in a haystack. Then the "dungeon approach" type missions could have just been more involved sidequests. Some interesting stuff could be done with that.

WAT, I only get 2 star horses. Maybe it's because I have kind of been ignoring horse-riding?

One pro-tip some kids give you outside the first stable (that I of course only talked to hours and hours in) is that solid-coloured horses generally have better stats than spotted, the spotted ones are more gentle.

Boney

Banned
The thing about the first 20 hours is that it's constantly riddled with positive reinforcement through new acquisitions and vistas.

The equipment progression from traveler-soldier-knight gear happens relatively quickly. With also having all the monster and tribe specific weapons in between. Armor also kinda over promises at first with the Hylian-Shiekah-Soldier set. Those type of tangible rewards are a lot more sparse later on.

Branduil

Having some massive dungeon hidden beneath a random tree in a world of BotW's size would just be annoying. It's fine for shrines because there's so many of them so you're only missing out on a small slice of the game if you miss one.

ColdPizza

Banned
Am I missing something obvious? My last beast is in
goron
land but I get
burnt to a crisp just from walking around there.
I followed the main road expecting some quest to show up on the way to give me the means to traverse the place but nothing.

So...what?

Talk to NPCs in the surrounding regions.

Forkball

Eight more shrines. They had to come to an end eventually. I hope these last ones are among the best. I had a really good one recently called Wind... something something that primarily had you use the korok leaf to activate switches. It was really diverse with a ton of treasure chests and interesting objectives.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Am I missing something obvious? My last beast is in
goron
land but I get
burnt to a crisp just from walking around there.
I followed the main road expecting some quest to show up on the way to give me the means to traverse the place but nothing.

So...what?
Go to a stable near that area.

300 koroks found.

There are still plenty of open spots on the map for me to check, but does anyone have a good tip for finding these little guys?

I mean, I climb trees and look for obvious spots, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton. Are there any hints or sounds or things I can look for to let me know a korok is hiding?

Those little pots/balloons in the trees are the worst! So easy to miss them...not to mention the ones hiding in the broken logs.

Who else drops the stones on top of the Koroks every single time? Wish there was an achievement for this, I'd be getting it.

I feel like people are a little too focused on rewards and progress. You're playing a game, the game is the reward. Making it to the top of that mountain and enjoying the view is the reward. Finally beating that Hinox without cheesing it is the reward. Do you really need a present to go with it? As for progress? If you were so thoroughly engaged in wandering around the woods picking mushrooms that you spent an hour doing it, what do you care that you made no "progress"? You are either enjoying doing whatever you're doing or you aren't.

This afternoon I'm going to enjoy trying ride a log into the sky with my massive supply of balloons. I do not expect the game to pat me on the head for my efforts and no progress will be made.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The thing about the first 20 hours is that it's constantly riddled with positive reinforcement through new acquisitions and vistas.

The equipment progression from traveler-soldier-knight gear happens relatively quickly. With also having all the monster and tribe specific weapons in between. Armor also kinda over promises at first with the Hylian-Shiekah-Soldier set. Those type of tangible rewards are a lot more sparse later on.

I have no idea why Sheikah is available so early. It's an incredible set that trivializes so much early on. Same with Soldier, but to a much lesser extent.

I have no idea why Sheikah is available so early. It's an incredible set that trivializes so much early on. Same with Soldier, but to a much lesser extent.
Well you need to spend time focusing on earning money in order to obtain it, the best methods for which are not yet readily apparent.

Forkball

300 koroks found.

There are still plenty of open spots on the map for me to check, but does anyone have a good tip for finding these little guys?

I mean, I climb trees and look for obvious spots, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton. Are there any hints or sounds or things I can look for to let me know a korok is hiding?

Those little pots/balloons in the trees are the worst! So easy to miss them...not to mention the ones hiding in the broken logs.
One method I tend to miss is the big rocks. Look for a random big rock and see if there's a slope. Roll the rock down a slope and a Korok will appear.

Hey, what the fuck, enemies now have a ratio number on top of the health bar? What is that? I'd swear it wasn't there before.

Sorry, I've been avoiding this thread mainly but have a simple question:

can you continue the game after the main quest (i.e. you keep all your items, completed quests, etc)?

Koren

I'm over 100 shrines, over 200 koroks, and I still don't have seen a single piece of those... Have I missed something obvious, or is it a price for following the story (especialy dealing with
mechanical beasts
?)

Or maybe it's a matter of name... is Sheikah the one that up your
defense against guardians
? Not sure what it trivializes, though...

Apt101

Wow, some of these open world puzzles are crazy. I just did
Master the Wind
("of the"?), so cool. Bummed the reward is
a shrine. Yay

Edit: and wow, good boomerangs are the best for clearing out camps. Boomerang to all heads.

Top Bottom