• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Steejee

Are the amiibos worth it ?

I have the Zelda Smash Bros amiibo, and while most of what I get are just random herbs/food and a chest ore, and she doesn't grant any armor drops, the big thing she does give you is pretty nuts -
Twilight Bow - uses no arrows (but cannot use special arrows), shoots light arrows which have no arc to them, they fly perfectly straight. I've used it a fair bit and still not damaged. Don't use it all the time but the laser accuracy has its moments.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Okay, so I have a problem. So Kass
doesn't return to his village? I did all of his quests (all 8 of them) and his daughters' quest. I have all the Shrines. I cleared all of the Shrines before I found one of his shrine quests, if that matters.
Help?

Speely

Banned
What's everyone's luck with snow bowling? I have managed to get strikes about 30% of the time and spares prolly 40% of the time. Tis a fickle slope.

kevin1025

Banned
That Hateno Village shrine's motion controls were driving me mad. So I flipped the joycon grip and used the flat under-surface of the maze to fling the ball and got it the first try, haha. Cheating works!

I was finally able to return to play this game after one week of heavy work load. I am 20 hrs in and I haven't gone past kakariko village hehehe.

I am just content to roam the world :)

KayMote

Well, All these NES comparisons made me wanna replay the very first game, so I did yesterday and even though I still love it I'm honestly quite glad that Breath of the Wild isn't JUST like the NES original one.

For example quite a lot of the unique items are pretty much only there for you to progess in a dungeon or to open up another dungeon - don't get me wrong, the formula was revolutionary, but it was basically this formula that the other Zelda games repeated and that I'm glad they finally changed in order to truly open up the world for exploration sakes. Also, despite there being a lot of freedom in the NES game there is still a quite linear progression within the dungeon count, since for example you need to get an item from dungeon 5 in order to open up dungeon 6 etc.

And finally the dungeons itself: I guess this is my personal taste, but I always loved the dungeons in Zelda games more, when they focus on the puzzle mechanics instead of having a maze like layout where the only challenge was to navigate through. Especially having 9 of these in a game made it feel sort of repetetive. So I'm glad they designed the dungeons in BotW being more puzzle based.
I guess the one game that combined these two elements the best was ALTTP.

Speely

Banned
I was finally able to return to play this game after one week of heavy work load. I am 20 hrs in and I haven't gone past kakariko village hehehe.

I am just content to roam the world :)

One of the best things about the game, and why after 150+ hrs I have not finished. I have started just fucking around the map a bit and I am having a blast. The way that interesting gameplay emerges from almost anything is amazing.

I don't understand how a game like this is designed at all. The thing that makes it extra-awesome to me is how it invites the random and finds a way to reward it. I've played a lot of open-world games, but oftentimes the pseudo-freedom in those games is just there to be there. Here, it's both more "free" and makes it feel meaningful.

Epcott

I just wanted to say that I feel this thread's title in my bones.

I would've loved hidden dungeons though. Especially if you heard rumors about them like a shrine quest or something. Imagine bombing a wall and finding the entrance to an underground temple.

Yeah...
While I do like the idea of these SOTC giant living dungeons, I would have loved something more traditional: Lke bombing a wall as you said, revealing a temple like dungeon with grand statues like something out of Shambala/UC2 and bosses that were more than just
shades of Ganon
. Fighting a giant centipede would have been epic.

The Beasts we got were interesting, but a bit on the short side.

The only special Zelda amiibo I have is 8-bit Link, and I finally got
the entire 'Hero' outfit

It's great
and I want to max upgrade it, but it would take so many Star Fragments that it's probably a 10-20 hour savescum Lynel farm just to get them.

Spoiler Loot: http://media1.nintendowire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/8-bit-1024x575.jpg

Knowing what we know now about the Amiibos, I think it would be a good idea to update the OT with images of the
suits they can get - or at least a hint toward them, seeing how it might be a spoiler.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My son has just started playing (third profile on the switch) and when cooking, it isn't playing the little tune that shows when you've found a new recipe. He's literally just started so almost everything should be new.

boxter432

What's everyone's luck with snow bowling? I have managed to get strikes about 30% of the time and spares prolly 40% of the time. Tis a fickle slope.

without using the mini "trick" posted online, I played for a while and am probably at 90% strikes. once you throw a strike, well, throw it the same way each time, the course/lane doesn't change

Cynosure

I spoiled myself of the total number korok seeds

I'm near the end of the game, completed the whole map, and have reached the point where i rarely find a korok seed.
I have

c7f.gif

My son has just started playing (third profile on the switch) and when cooking, it isn't playing the little tune that shows when you've found a new recipe. He's literally just started so almost everything should be new.

I thought that was the "critical cook achieved" sound, not the "new cook" sound.

Speely

Banned
without using the mini "trick" posted online, I played for a while and am probably at 90% strikes. once you throw a strike, well, throw it the same way each time, the course/lane doesn't change

I do try, but I think my inability to position myself the exact same way every time holds me back. Not familiar with the "trick." I just line up a tiny bit diff sometimes, I think.

Fortunately, I almost always make some money.

The game's awesome and I agree with the game being the reward, but it's a hard switch for people who love the old Zelda formula. By progress/reward, they mean the experience of not being able to go somewhere, getting a thing, then being able to go to that place they remember. I personally miss the experience of getting a new ability that gave me a new perspective on an old area. I miss having to use my memory and imagination that way. Limitations are fun when a game has limited scope. In Breath of the Wild, what you see is what you get. You use your ingenuity in the moment, with almost no limits. And it all works because the game's world is so vast, unlike past Zeldas.

Oh, no disagreement on classic item based progression. Both Metroid and Zelda used it in much the same way though it was only Zelda where I felt things were getting stale as Zelda was pretty rigid in its world design with the more interesting items being useful in limited circumstances. I like Breath of the Wild for what it is and does, but I would like to see the next game incorporate some of what previous Zelda's did. For one thing, as much as I enjoy the climb anything anywhere mechanic in this game, I don't think I want to see that return as it tends to encourage you to skip interesting paths for the expediency of just going straight up the cliff. I'm running around now looking for stuff like that, that I missed because of the climbing mechanic.

Oh, no disagreement on classic item based progression. Both Metroid and Zelda used it in much the same way though it was only Zelda where I felt things were getting stale as Zelda was pretty rigid in its world design with the more interesting items being useful in limited circumstances. I like Breath of the Wild for what it is and does, but I would like to see the next game incorporate some of what previous Zelda's did. For one thing, as much as I enjoy the climb anything anywhere mechanic in this game, I don't think I want to see that return as it tends to encourage you to skip interesting paths for the expediency of just going straight up the cliff. I'm running around now looking for stuff like that, that I missed because of the climbing mechanic.

I agree with your assessment on the item gated nature becoming a bit stale but there are ways around that to keep it and be fresh and new. Keep a dungeon locked if you find it before you have a certain item, or parts of the dungeon locked. Keep small areas of interest gated behind something so that it adds that sense of , oh man I can't wait to see what's behind that, or what new gameplay item I will get. If the discovery part of the exploration is what is fun does it really matter if you can access the found dungeon or location at that moment, you discovered it on your own, you did the exploration part. but now it's time for new gameplay and a well structured gameplay moment where the devs can create something special using something new.

That's how I would handle it.

Anteo

The beauty of going to a new area and knowing you will get a new item, you will experience brand new gameplay, brand new puzzles and an incredible designed gameplay segment filled with new enemies and ideas, that's missing in this game. Yeah you go to a new area but it's probably going to be the same enemies again. You will not get a new skill, you have them all. All the puzzles start to blend together and are some form of freezing or moving objects. You will see the same korok puzzle a million times, run up another hill, battle the same enemy camp, solve a simple riddle for a shrine and so on.

I think you mean the beauty of goign to a new gated area where you will find a dungeon with an item that most of the time will only be usefull there and maybe one other spot in the overworld

Apt101

I'm near the end of the game, completed the whole map, and have reached the point where i rarely find a korok seed.
I have

c7f.gif

Those little leaf people are everywhere. They watch you while you poop.

There isn't a song for finding recipes. There is a special ditty for getting a cooking critical though.

Is there a way to downgrade from 1.1.1? Shadows look terrible on wii u now and the framedrops are as frequent as they used to be. I didn't even want to update, it just did it by itself when i restarted the machine. Kind of pissed. Some of the shadows are just ridiculously bad.

Skeletos311

I have

c7f.gif

Most are really out of the way. They're in places you're probably not going to go by when going from Shrine to Shrine or town to town. Some places don't even have anything besides a Korok seed.

lt519

Just spent 3 1/2 hours on the plane running around Hyrule Castle being a super powered beast. I had done it when I was previously a weakling and it was fun to thoroughly explore and dominate it. So much fun, wish they had a couple more Hyrule Castle like locales or that the expansion will include some. Got some nice sets of equipment to display in my digs along with my Savage Lynel set.

First time playing the Switch on the go, was great, plane trip went by super fast. Battery lasted about 3 hours before I had to plug in a power brick.

klier

Amazing thread title!

145+ hours in. Probably a first for a single player game for me, and as much as the last three Zelda console games combined.

I don't feel overwhelmed with korok hunting. Nor do I feel like it's a chore to look for them because the world is fun to explore on it's own. I just run in to them. I have almost 50 stocked up just because I'm not looking to cash them in. This game will take me a long time. I don't game as long as I used to. I'm okay with that though.

Sh0k

185 hours in and still discovering new stuff, this game is amazing! Trying to trigger a red moon,
isn't the red moon triggered when you kill a lot of enemies? Killed around 5 Lynels and so far no red moon. Trying to finish the red moon shrine from Kass.

4 Divine Beasts done
104 Shrines
200 Korok Seeds

Not bored of the game one bit. Trying to at least find all the shrines before finishing the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am so ready to finish the game. Saved at the
Goron
divine Beast (my last one), will try to wrap it up tomorow. Im at 65+ hours with 73 shrines or whatever it is so yeah, im feeling good about my journey.

The fact that P5 is out in 2 days has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with it.

I think you mean the beauty of goign to a new gated area where you will find a dungeon with an item that most of the time will only be usefull there and maybe one other spot in the overworld

Why does it have to be like that? Is there a rule that is how it has to be? This limited thinking hurts the potential of future zelda games.

And even so a dungeon with a new item used only there is still more interesting than the beasts in this game.

Memles

I'm sitting at 103 shrines completed right now, and my current fascination is the fact that there is an item I know I'm missing
The climbing headgear
that I know from seeing tweets/posts that many players have gotten early in the game. However, I do not have this item, despite being very far into the game, which means I know it's one of those 17 remaining Shrines.

It's been a real test of my will power to avoid using guides, or the Sheikah Sensor, to find it, which I sort of appreciate. It speaks to the non-linear nature of the game: seeing other people with it creates a strong incentive to find it, but yet I also don't want to betray the "individuality" of the experience by actively finding out where it's located.

My guess it that it's the prize for the Fort Hateno shrine quest, but I've never been able to figure out where that cursed statue is, so if that's the case I'm going to need to investigate further.

Boney

Banned
So late game spoiler (I guess)
there's shrines inside Hyrule Castle huh... If there's at least 3 that should pad my numbers close to 120

The location of the bandana if memory serves is
on one of the the Twin Shrines, where the mountain is cut in half

The archeologist also leads you to the statue at daylight.

Koren

You'd have to find them first, in any case... I'm still missing one.

It does what it says it does in the store you can buy it in.
Significant stealth improvement
I'm pretty sure I've missed both the Sheikah and the Soldier sets... And I've spent a hell lot of time in the game (I think I have 11 complete sets now).

Since dungeons are part of the main story quest, there're not the same as shines.
Well, I've yet to finish the game, but I'd say the
master sword
is part of the game, and I don't think you can get it without shrines, am I wrong?

Top Bottom