• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Zedark

The "not even close to finishing" is my only concern at this point. I hope the game doesn't drag or fall off near the end. Any previews actually finish the game and mention anything aobut htis?

Wouldn't count on it, but we get full reviews before launch (a day before launch).

B00TE

Gods, these previews. Listening to the Gamexplain video right now, while reading a lot of the ones being linked. Lawdy. I hope it can keep up through the whole game overall. Everyone's varied experience at the start and where they go first is just awesome. Gonna be fun to swap stories for this one, heh.

Griss

One 'bad' thing about this thread is that all suspense about how this game will review is over. From the tone of these articles, it appears that it'll be the presumptive GotY contender with a 90+ meta.

It's a shame that we'll be denied a proper stonking review meltdown thread, but I guess a GotY Zelda game is some small consolation.

Can someone tell me if there's hammers in the game? I need me some hammer movesets.

There are hammers. Two handers early on.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/835129781423333376

YES! also, is there any previews done on the WiiU, or is it just the switch version?

As far as I know, they've only sent out the Switch version.

One bit of concern from engaget about the Switch

I'm curious to see if the difference is super noticeable...

All the screenshots in my preview are from the in-system Capture tool.

Can you tell us the restrictions on what you guys are and aren't allowed to show off/talk about?

No major spoilers - plot, boss, bad guys, main, and supporting characters. No direct puzzle solutions. There are two fairly major aspects of the open-world we're not allowed to talk about. Any extra named NPCs on the map. Certain Sheik tablet abilities. We were only allowed to talk about certain weapons, armor, and items. Oddly enough, some of them I'd be hard pressed to reach in five hours.

I just want to say that i find it very nice that you're always around to answer our questions about your game previews/reviews. Thanks, Mike!

You're welcome and thanks for the compliment!

From Gamexplain: NPCs have schedules, react to changes in weather, even more dynamic than Majora's mask schedules

200_s.gif

jxN3

Jason Schreier's comments are almost too much to handle....

I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do with myself for another goddamn week.

MV5BMjEwODQ2MDEzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2Mjg0MjE@._V1_.jpg

Fliesen

these previews, man ... i feel so sorry for Horizon as a game, because Zelda is seriously suffocating my hype for Horizon.

while not on a media blackout per se, i haven't bothered to check much gameplay footage.
That minimalist UI is so refreshing - seeing as 3D Zelda games had some obnioxiously in-your-face UIs with some huge UI elements

I just now realized that i am SO SO SO SO FUCKING HAPPY that the Switch doesn't have trophies, because i wouldn't want to have the completionist and min-maxing trophy hunter within me ruin much of the awe of exploring new-old-ruined-hyrule...

Zedark

One 'bad' thing about this thread is that all suspense about how this game will review is over. From the tone of these articles, it appears that it'll be the presumptive GotY contender with a 90+ meta.

It's a shame that we'll be denied a proper stonking review meltdown thread, but I guess a GotY Zelda game is some small consolation.

There were some people in the Horizon thread hoping Zelda would review badly for its stature so they could see the meltdown, hope they are utterly disappointed right now.

Hero

I have not seen the entire press/industry so glowing with a Nintendo game in a long time. Maybe Super Mario Galaxy?

these previews, man ... i feel so sorry for Horizon as a game, because Zelda is seriously suffocating my hype for Horizon.

while not on a media blackout per se, i haven't bothered to check much gameplay footage.
That minimalist UI is so refreshing - seeing as 3D Zelda games had some obnioxiously in-your-face UIs with some huge UI elements

Horizon will be just fine.

I do know what you mean though. This might be one of the biggest release weeks in gaming history. It's a hell of a one-two punch.

Chorazin

Me: "Oh I can't wait to embark on a fun and whimsical journey through Hyrule after playing NIOH!"

Previews: "LOL I DIE ALL THE TIME FROM ONE HIT KILLS!"

Me. "Oh."

ckaneo

Yeah, ive probably seen too much footage but all these previews suck. Anyone have something that shows cool stuff outside the plateau on video?

Someone needs to gif the gliding over the birds at 2:12 in the first video. So beautiful.

I take it people are still limited to certain areas in the previews ?

What patch is the preview build ?
Limited to the first five hours of gameplay is the guideline, and yes, there is a sprawling list of specific exclusions. It was tough getting this video together :)

Reads reviews: overwhelmingly positive, Nes like Zelda crossed with elements of dark souls, monster hunter and other rivals/open world games

*begins to hyperventilate*

7 damn long days! oh shit I can't take it

All these previews are increasing my desire to play this game. It has been six years since I last owned a console but this might just be the game that changes that. Going to wait for reviews before making my decision.

Plum

Do we know if Digital Foundry is going to/can do an analysis or will that come after release?

It definitely won't be today. Maybe it'll be on the 2nd when reviews come out but if Nintendo's embargo doesn't count tech/fps analysis as a "review" it'll be the 3rd. I can imagine they're working on it right now.

Really hope the Wii U version runs well, I could care less about better graphics that supposedly comes with the Switch version.

I am going to guess that most of the press got the Switch version and Wii U impressions won't be until reviews hit next week.

Frostman

These sound fantastic. It's going to score high!

It was guaranteed to divide opinions but I'm still not convinced on durability. As are some people who have pre-viewed it. I've never enjoyed that mechanic in games.

Either way role on the 3rd!

silva1991

Horizon followed by zelda... good lord.

I still think weapons breaking fast is gonna be so annoying and infuriating.

Is hand to hand combat a thing in this game? :p

random25

GameXplain hinted that the story has a depressing, dark tone based from their current progress. Says that those who loved Majora's Mask will love the tone of the story of BotW.

Sounds great indeed, but there were a bunch of people saying that they didn't reveal the map, or that only the tower in the E3 demo would do so etc. That's all I was referencing.

The natural urge in an open world game is to climb some shit, look around and get your bearings. The reason ubi-towers exist in so many open world games is that they're rewarding this natural instinct and showing you what you can do and where. It's perfectly sensible and enjoyable game design and I don't know why Ubisoft ever got shit for it.

The problem with Ubi-towers is that they fill your already-complete map with quest markers, killing a sense of discovery. BotW doesn't seem to do that. In Zelda, your map literally shows nothing on it before climbing a tower.

Don't worry, there will be a 5 or a 7 to shake things up.

The_Lump

Banned
You know what would be nice every once in a while though? Context. Because these are the towers equivalent of the WW's fish, not the Zelda equivalent of ubisoft towers. Revealing the map and finding out special places by exploring it and revealing 2000 activities on the map isn't the same thing.

But of course, they copied a mechanic that was in the series 5 years before ubisoft games started using it because the visual representation of it in the world is the same, and according to some people, a good mechanic is bad just because it's used by ubisoft lol

This. Thankyou.
Hopefully that's the end of it.

epicnemesis

I have no way of getting my switch to me until a week/weeks/a month from Friday. I think I'm going to have to double dip on this on my Wii U to just explore the plateau to scratch that itch. Then when I finally have my switch I'll hit the highlights of my exploration to suit up for the actual meat of the game.

These sound fantastic. It's going to score high!

It was guaranteed to divide opinions but I'm still not convinced on durability. As are some people who have pre-viewed it. I've never enjoyed that mechanic in games.

Either way role on the 3rd!

From my preview:
Yet another concern I had going into this experience was that the new weapon durability mechanic would frustrate me. After all, who would appreciate the tedium of having to constantly monitor your weaponry and switch to a new tool every dozen or so enemies? Well, surprisingly, this has actually become second-nature during my time with the game—and I actually have come to appreciate it. You see, the absence of a solid bedrock of tiered/progressively-stronger weaponry (and shields) simply opens up the diversity of gameplay experiences that much more. Because now, rather than defaulting to your newly-upgraded sword, you’re forced to plan and manage your usage of items to preserve the more powerful ones for tougher situations. In other words, it’s survival. And, against all odds, it’s fun.

Top Bottom