• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

there haven't been many games released. it's sort of a problem.
Which was my original point.

I don't think a HD rerelease of a 10 year old title is going to have much of an impact at that price, even if it's one of the only games worth buying up until that point.

They should have priced it at a budget price.

KrawlMan

I forgot about Sonic; I stand by my original statement though.

Wind Waker HD is going to be one of the only games worth buying up until it's release, but I don't think that's going to help it because of its high price.

I think you'll be surprised what 10 years + having released on a relatively unpopular console would mean for the game. It might not be a new game, but if Nintendo bothers to push / advertise it, plenty of consumers wouldn't know or care.

AniHawk

Which was my original point.

I don't think a HD rerelease of a 10 year old title is going to have much of an impact at that price, even if it's one of the only games worth buying up until that point.

They should have priced it at a budget price.

i thought your original point was that tww hd, the only game coming out for the wii u this year (aside from w101, sonic, dk, scribblenauts, mario, wii party, and wii fit) wasn't going to do much for the system.

the idea is to build a fanbase. nintendo is doing that by appealing to a particular market. there aren't people who will buy a wii u for zelda, but there are people who might buy one for zelda, and sonic, or zelda and mario, or zelda, mario, dk, and w101.

they haven't had the luxury of having a bunch of first-party titles three months apart to drive sales until now.

I think you'll be surprised what 10 years + having released on a relatively unpopular console would mean for the game. It might not be a new game, but if Nintendo bothers to push / advertise it, plenty of consumers wouldn't know or care.
Honestly, I probably would be surprised. The console it's being rereleased on isn't any more popular than the Gamecube, and I'd wager that most of the people who own a Wii U currently are Nintendo fans who've played Wind Waker.

Granted it might look like a new game to some, but I still think it would do much better at a budget price.

The game just don't look like great value when you consider other HD remakes like FFX|X2 being priced at £10 - £15 cheaper. You're definitely right though, there will be people who've never played the game before that might see the value in it at full price, I'm just not sure it will be that many.

i thought your original point was that tww hd, the only game coming out for the wii u this year (aside from w101, sonic, dk, scribblenauts, mario, wii party, and wii fit) wasn't going to do much for the system.

the idea is to build a fanbase. nintendo is doing that by appealing to a particular market. there aren't people who will buy a wii u for zelda, but there are people who might buy one for zelda, and sonic, or zelda and mario, or zelda, mario, dk, and w101.

they haven't had the luxury of having a bunch of first-party titles three months apart to drive sales until now.
No, my original point was that the game was being sent to die at that price point. I don't think there's a huge market for a full priced HD remake on a console with poor software sales. I could be wrong though.

jett

D-Member
- One of the most popular Zelda titles.

...Not really, not that it matters.

- Actual reworking done the the mechanics and design.

...Not really.

- More than just basic resolution upgrades

Barely.

- A few new things

Eh.

Nintendo

Yeah, I expected $60. Have you seen their VC prices? Why would they only charge a slightly doubled price when they have to worry about packaging and whatnot on top of actually improving the game? Genuinely asking.

Just because you're used to getting fucked in the butt by Nintendo doesn't mean this is a sweet deal.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You're definitely right though, there will be people who've never played the game before that might see the value in it at full price, I'm just not sure it will be that many.
Do you know how many people bought the game 10 years ago? Something about 2% of today's potential market.

But its being released on an even more unpopular console, and im not so sure the current install base of wiiu isn't mostly made up of hardcore nintendo fans who bought gamecubes and ww 10 years ago

An HD remake of a game that cost $49.99 when it originally came out should not cost as much or more than that. Should cost $39.99. That would be a fair price.

amnesiac

Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus were both released in HD in a package for $40. The Hitman Trilogy was also $40 and included 3 games.

Nintendo wants $10 more for one game.

AniHawk

Honestly, I probably would be surprised. The console it's being rereleased on isn't any more popular than the Gamecube, and I'd wager that most of the people who own a Wii U currently are Nintendo fans who've played Wind Waker.

Granted it might look like a new game to some, but I still think it would do much better at a budget price.

The game just don't look like great value when you consider other HD remakes like FFX|X2 being priced at £10 - £15 cheaper. You're definitely right though, there will be people who've never played the game before that might see the value in it at full price, I'm just not sure it will be that many.

No, my original point was that the game was being sent to die at that price point. I don't think there's a huge market for a full priced HD remake on a console with poor software sales. I could be wrong though.

ah fair enough. i think that most video game prices are too expensive as it is. $50 should be the standard for console games, $30 for handheld games.

Bog

Junior Ace
Wow, I was wondering why there was 9 pages of discussion on a $10 price cut. You people seriously thought it'd be $20-$30? Hilarious.

Did they add that dungeon that was cut from the original due to time constraints? It always bugged me I went into some cave and some dude just *gave* me one of the medallions (or whatever it was at the time) without having to do anything.

AniHawk

Did they add that dungeon that was cut from the original due to time constraints? It always bugged me I went into some cave and some dude just *gave* me one of the medallions (or whatever it was at the time) without having to do anything.

no new dungeons. whatever was cut from tww is probably in twilight princess.

ToxicAdam

I think it's a wise business move. Zelda fans are hardcore and will pay premium prices to play the games. You look through history and all the used games still sell at a high price point (relatively speaking) on EBay. Zelda fans also will buy extra hardware just to play the game ( MM and SS ).

Not only that, but if Nintendo decides to make this game a pack-in, it's going to make the package seem like even more of a bargain.

That would still make a lot of happy people. Kids getting this remake for Christmas will feel a joy few games can bring.
There would be even more happy people/kids if they priced it in line with other better value HD remakes.

We'll see how well it sells at that price point when it releases though. I'm sceptical that it will do well, especially in the UK.

jmls1121

Banned

This. Iwata expressly mentioned in an ND the low install base of the Cube as one of the reasons they chose Wind Waker.

Its Zelda, guys. This is well worth the price.

NR1

Wow, I was wondering why there was 9 pages of discussion on a $10 price cut. You people seriously thought it'd be $20-$30? Hilarious.

You and me both. Never imagined this topic would generate this type if discussion.

In the end, I suppose we can only hope that someone over at NOA or NCL will take notice of this type of discussion within the hardcore gaming community and make some adjustments in the future. I mean, it's pretty surprising to me that easily 50% of users in here aren't even impressed with the $50 price at Amazon, so the obvious $60 MSRP is completely out of the question.

Perhaps a limited bonus for first adopters, much like OOT/ Master Quest with the original Cube release? Maybe remaster the original NES Zelda with the new 3DS Zelda: LTTP assets as a bonus pack-in? I can't imagine something like that could take more that a few weeks with a team of 6 or 8 people...?

jett

D-Member
FFX|X2 remaster is £25 and comes with two games.

Wind Waker HD is £40.

FFX/X2 is a great counter example. Squeenix redid the models and textures in both games. If only they had added some eye-melting bloom, then they could charge full price for it!

Darryl

Banned
FFX|X2 remaster is £25 and comes with two games.

Wind Waker HD is £40.

i would not hesitate to pay an extra $10 on FFX|X2 if they went inside the game and modernized it some more, improved pacing and balance, add new modes and features. they could even take the spinoff out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
FFX/X2 is a great counter example. Squeenix redid the models and textures in both games. If only they had added some eye-melting bloom, then they could charge full price for it!

They actually did turn down the bloom since the reveal in Jan.

Also my biggest problem with ww is that it has the dullest dungeons in the 3d series not counting the ds games. The triforce quest was never that bad. Honestly tp needed a "remake" more

jts

...hate me...
I'll finally get to finish this game. The reworked mechanics and graphics look great, Wii U Gamepad seals the deal.

Wii U shaping up fiiiine.

Sweet price too.

So if they think it could sell for $50 they should sell it for $30 so they don't look arrogant? Isn't that just confidence? Saying "we have a product for people without broadband, it's called the 360" is arrogant. Saying "people will get a second job to pay for our $600 console" is arrogant. Where are the arrogant Nintendo quotes? "Please understand"?

Actions speak louder than words. Their arrogance is pretty apparent in the way they've been handling the WiiU. While they do acknowledge their mistakes, they're not willing to fix short term problems, like region free gaming, non hardware locked accounts etc.

Do you know how many people bought the game 10 years ago? Something about 2% of today's potential market.

Which market are you referring to? The global video game market, or the Nintendo market?

If you're talking about the global game market, I'd put like two zeroes and a decimal to the left of the 2, then it may be more accurate. Something like .02 of today's potential market.

jts

...hate me...
OoT was also overpriced.

Look, this isn't about getting angry. It's just calling it like it is. Both games are overpriced. And if you argue against that, then there is something wrong with you.

LOL, WW is complete crap compared to OOT.
Then all the industry is overpriced, as these still stand as some of the best games money can buy.

And TWW, while not being superior to OOT other than at a technical level, it's not crap, complete or not, by any metric, and if you think that then you just have bad taste and that's where your "overpriced" opinion comes from. Bad fucking taste in videogames.

I am a little surprised by the high price point - I was hoping for it to be a little lower because I have never played it. I'm on a one game a month budget and was hoping to squeeze some extra bucks to get this game also in October but it looks like it will have to be my main purchase. Not really sure that's gonna happen and I wonder if WW will just go unplayed again by me because of timing and money.

Top Bottom