• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

I'm going to guess the price is wrong, and that it's not going to launch at that. $60 is way too much unless they're doing massive, massive work on completely redoing the game. And all signs so far point to this not being the case. Wind Waker might be a fantastic game, but it's still a game they developed for GameCube, over 10 years ago.

If people made a fuss about EarthBound being $2 more (when there's lots of potential reasons why they yanked up the price besides greed), they sure as hell better make that same fuss if Nintendo tries to market an "HD Remaster" of a single 10 year old game at premium price. Even if they go back and redraw some of the textures, improve the models, and so on. Which so far, we haven't actually seen.

Not too noticeable, although the heat wave effect is still glitchy.

I actually play TWW on the Devolution homebrew loader for Wii with widescreen enabled, and it's glorious, enough to keep me patient for the HD remake.
Not only that, if you have the equipment for it, you can view the game in full stereoscopic 3D, which the Wii U doesn't officially support. (No reason it couldn't beside Nintendo being stubborn about the 3DS 3D being "superior".)

If you want to preview it and do have a 3DS, I converted someone's (unfortunately non-widescreen) stereo screenshots to 3DS format a while back. Just scan this link with the 3DS's camera and it'll take you there:

EloquentM

aka Mannny
R E M A K E S
How was Oot 3D a remake in any way shape or form. It used a slightly modified version of the same exact engine with slightly higher poly counts and better textures.

Silver/gold ---> heart gold/ soul silver is a remake.

Starfox, ww HD, and Oot 3D are remasters.

peronmls

How was Oot 3D a remake in any way shape or form. It used a slightly modified version of the same exact engine with slightly higher poly counts and better textures.

Silver/gold ---> heart gold/ soul silver is a remake.
If it was a remake then it would have looked like banjo kazooie and confers bad fur day HD on Xbox.

hatchx

Banned
It's amazing the passion people show over 10 or 20 dollars. Don't most of us on gaf pay thousands into our gaming habit? If someone wants to play this but is put off by such a small amount of money that's a little bit silly.

It's a great game.

Biker19

Banned
Yeah, a second screen is a really dumb idea.

That must be why the DS is the best-selling handheld of all time, and why every other demo at E3 this year showed off second-screen functionality.

But the gamepad isn't catching on with anybody. It's no DS with double screens, & it's no Wii with the Wiimote.

Not 60fps?

Disappointing...

WTF? Nintendo could've easily done that. It's not like it's a brand new title, this game is nearly 11 years old (First released in Japan back in December 13, 2002)!

It's amazing the passion people show over 10 or 20 dollars. Don't most of us on gaf pay thousands into our gaming habit? If someone wants to play this but is put off by such a small amount of money that's a little bit silly.

It's a great game.

$10-$20 is still a good amount of money we could use elsewhere. Besides that, no, I doubt that the majority of GAFers pay that much. Probably a good amount, but not most.

Biker19

Banned
Well this is HD.

Aw, come on with that. Look at how SE did a lot of work remastering older games in HD like with Kingdom Hearts 1: Final Mix, Re:Chain of Memories, & 358/2 Days on "Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX," as well as with the International versions of Final Fantasy X & X-2 with "Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster." And they're only $40 each.

Charging $60 for a nearly 11 year old remake/remaster of a single game is insane.

Yoday

$60 is way too expensive for this, but I would expect no less from Nintendo.

I get that this is a bit more than the standard HD treatment, but it is only one game, and it isn't like they fundamentally changed the graphics. I feel like Halo Anniversary had more work done on it, and even that released a $40. I can't believe anyone could actually be okay with this games price.

The Lamp

I have never played this zelda, so this is going to be the first time for me, I can't wait, because everyone loves it. Although I hear a lot of bad things about the last part of the game (something about Triforce quest)

You just have to go on a scavenger hunt for some triforce pieces. It's not THAT bad, the Internet just has loud complainers.

Yeah, this thing still bothers me after years on NeoGAF. I think it's quite an American culture of 'everything has a price' and 'making the deal' or some sort of thing.

It's a great game.
What kind of justification is that? So because people spend a lot of money on this hobby they can't make a value judgement over price and must be capable of spending money on anything?

Eusis

Yeah, this thing still bothers me after years on NeoGAF. I think it's quite an American culture of 'everything has a price' and 'making the deal' or some sort of thing.
That is a good point actually, thinking about it some of us really DO get carried away with that, especially given what the rest of the world pays. Hell, just look at how much the extra $2 for EB set some people off.
What kind of justification is that? So because people spend a lot of money on this hobby they can't make a value judgement over price and must be capable of spending money on anything?
I think it's more about sweating the small stuff way, way too much. Mind, it's smart to not frivolously spend on stuff (which many of us forget to some extent during, say, Steam sales), but if you really wanted the game then it shouldn't really matter whether $50 or $60. At least with $30 versus $60 it's a significant enough gap to really stop and reconsider things.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I love the Wind Waker(well.... Most of it atleast) and even I wouldn't pay $60 for this. From what I've seen of the game, it's just an HD remaster, not a remake.

If they do release this at $60, i hope it bombs if only to show Nintendo how out of touch they are.

WTF? Nintendo could've easily done that. It's not like it's a brand new title, this game is nearly 11 years old (First released in Japan back in December 13, 2002)!

It's not as easy when all of the animations are made for 30 fps. I suspect this is also the reason for Pikmin 3 being 30 fps (since its likely using many of the same animations as the 30 fps GameCube games).

It's a great game.
The argument is not simply about the most passionate and "hardcore" of gamers though. We spend the most amount of money so yes, it can be argued that a $20 price difference in the grand scheme of thousands of dollars spent per year means nothing. But it's about whether the price is good for the item comparatively to other items like it on the market, and whether it will be an enticing proposition for the mainstream gaming contingent, where consumers are very price conscious. Let's not forget that this game has been used in list wars about the sales potential of the Wii U, with it argued that it will have a positive effect on the Wii U's sales.

At $60, I honestly do not see that. I think it's been long enough that there's a whole new consumer base that has not played it and could therefore be interested, but are they really interested enough to not only pick it up in lieu of another title this holiday, but to pick up a Wii U was well? I sincerely doubt it. If it was $40, or better yet a pack-in for the Wii U, that changes things a bit -- not a lot, but enough that it's harder to guess its potential success.

Whatever sales it does get I would speculate are largely nostalgia-based and to existing owners of the Wii U, as they are the most hardcore of Nintendo fans. And while there's nothing wrong with that per se, Nintendo should arguably be focusing on drawing new people in with their upcoming releases, not selling to the committed base. But if it helps fill their coffers while the Wii U languishes in sales purgatory, I can see why they'd do it.

Shiggy

I guess these two images illustrate pretty well why many people aren't willing to pay full price for the game.

zelda_ww_hd-11-158xqb.jpg

zelda_ww_hd-5-1hqzsv.jpg

It's ten years old.

Unless this is a joke making fun of how all of the 3D Zeldas are the same or something.
My apologies. I just remembered that it came out on the GC and the Wii is already 7 or 8 years old. I was kind of exaggerating to get my point across that the game is pretty old.

But still, even 10 years is a very long time to charge full price for something when minimal work is being put in on the art. If they were recreating everything then maybe.

Eusis

I hope it flops but it probably won't given it's one of a few games on Wii U of any quality.
Could very well do alright but ultimately too mediocre to try going for full price on a very modestly updated decade old game again. It's not even like it's extremely rare like Earthbound where at least you could argue $60 for retail WOULD be the cheap option (though in that case I'd want some crazy good packaging, like a new strategy guide that puts the old one to shame... while keeping most of what was great about it.)

xJavonta

Banned
Lol Nintendo are you fucking serious

$40 would have been impulse for a ton of people. $60 you just lost everyone but fans who buy everything regardless of if it's shitty or not.

QUESTION.... would you guys pay full price if nintendo had built in early demo of new upcoming Zelda U game?

Give them full price if they do all this, plus add in several more dungeons and other things to do. Might as well throw in a soundtrack CD and something else nice and fancy.

zashga

$40 would definitely be a better price, especially if they want this to move some Wii Units.

... I'll probably still buy it.

@____@

Banned
And these two, for example, illustrate why many people are.
I mean, let's not kid ourselves into thinking this will not be one of the Wii U's best selling games.

Truly the best looking HD game ever released on a Nintendo system.

Shiggy

As I repeatedly said - against the doubts of Nintendo die-hard fans - this game is a full price title in Europe. NoE just announced an eShop price of €59.99 which is in line with the price of retailers.

Guess some people need to eat crow now. Yes, Nintendo does have regional pricing strategies.

Top Bottom