• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

What do people think would happen in a game set between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker? During the period of the great flood. Does the fact that the opening of the latter title states that no hero came mean that no game can be made?

Anyway, I like how you can do the dungeons in any order in A Link Between Worlds. I don't like how they're all marked on the map though. I'd rather discover them myself after following clues from other characters etc.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What do people think would happen in a game set between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker? During the period of the great flood. Does the fact that the opening of the latter title stats that no hero came mean that no game can be made?

maybe a Hero came, but was defeated, so nobody remember him. so they could create a game set in between those other two titles, but we'd already know our fate.

teeny

maybe a Hero came, but was defeated, so nobody remember him. so they could create a game set in between those other two titles, but we'd already know our fate.

They could make a game where a hero goes back in time to help their previous incarnation overcome evil and therefore reverse / prevent the flood. It is a series that involves time travel and vague links between instalments, they could pretty much get away with anything :p
Like the "fallen hero" timeline ;)

What do people think would happen in a game set between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker? During the period of the great flood. Does the fact that the opening of the latter title stats that no hero came mean that no game can be made?

Anyway, I like how you can do the dungeons in any order in A Link Between Worlds. I don't like how they're all marked on the map though. I'd rather discover them myself after following clues from other characters etc.

You play as Zelda. Awaken the sages to call on the goddesses for protection. That could be the first half of the game. The second half you start your life as a Pirate Queen taking on the forces of evil on the high seas defending the Hyrulean survivors as they search for habitable islands. The second half dungeons would be taking down the demons living on the islands so that the Hyruleans can safely move to them. (The King of Red Lions still has most of his power during this time so he can manifest as a full sized ship.) I'd like this as a launch title for the next gen handheld, though... not as a full console Zelda.

GameE

Does this say there is a new villain in the game?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/e3_2014/lineup/zeldas_new_game/

本ソフトは、『ゼルダの伝説』シリーズのWii U版新作です。境界なく、どこまでも広がる『ゼルダ』の世界で、リンクが新たな謎、新たな強敵に挑みます。

Volotaire

I'm not sure you can take the translation literally, if the translation is correct. Best to PM some of the Japanese gaffers about this.

Seems so.

Google translate for others (as funny as it is otherwise, the end sentence seems clear):
This software is the Wii U version of the new "Legend of Zelda" series. Without boundary, in a world where even spread of "Zelda", the link will challenge a new mystery, a new formidable enemy.

edit:
But yeah, it could of course miss some important meaning still.

I don't think this necessarily has to be interpreted as "a new main villain," it just says Link will be challenged by "new puzzles and new formidable enemies".

Technically it's been eight years and three games without Ganondorf. I'm sure Nintendo may think enough time has passed to bring him back.

But I do really want to put that guy behind us. We've seen the original monster Ganon and the evil he brought to Hyrule in the NES and Super NES games. The we saw his origins as a man (Ganondorf) in Orcarina.

Then we saw two alternate time lines from the NES and SNES games where he takes different approaches to his return after his respective defeats in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Finally we even saw the origin of this whole mess in Skyward Sword.
Ganondorf has been featured as much as a character should. Especially as unlike Link and Zelda he's the same dude in all these games.

Give us a new villain, a new bearer of the Triforce of Power, a new incarnation of Demise's hatred. Or hell bring back Demise band have him do something for more than five minutes (he's design is still incredible).

There's just so much baggage and history with Ganondorf the character. I hope the developers used Demise in the last game to allow for different villains that still tied into the Link-Zelda-Villain dynamic of reincarnation.

Volotaire

I don't think Ganon has been in a console Zelda for near up 15 years.

Spoiler Twilight Princess and FSA.

Did you miss Ganon in Twilight Princess? He transformed into his Pig Form Ganon for the second part of the last boss fight against Ganondorf. He was in Four Swords Adventures too (by Hyrule Histroia a different incarnation)

QKT100

Banned
Spoiler Twilight Princess and FSA.

Did you miss Ganon in Twilight Princess? He transformed into his Pig Form Ganon for the second part of the last boss fight against Ganondorf. He was in Four Swords Adventures too (by Hyrule Histroia a different incarnation)

I honestly forgot about that!

But still, that's still near enough a decade ago.

Vidiot

Can't wait for the big reveal where it was Ganon all along.

This complaint started with TP and it still doesn't make any sense.

People act like Ganondorf came out of nowhere at the end of the game but there was that cut scene at the fourth temple. It should have been obvious to any Zelda fan at that point that Ganondorf was going to be the final boss.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I hope its ghiraheim tier without copying him

Volotaire

I hope its ghiraheim tier without copying him

STORY SPOILERS FOR SKYWARD SWORD

Ghirahim was definitely a unique and fresh villain for the series, but I don't like how he got copped out for Demise, no matter the story implications or the foreshadowing through fighting the Imprisoned, among other character concerns. I hope they use another fresh approach. Although I did like him being the evil version of Fi, I still felt he could have easily been mantled as the main villain of the game.

jnWake

STORY SPOILERS FOR SKYWARD SWORD

Ghirahim was definitely a unique and fresh villain for the series, but I don't like how he got copped out for Demise, no matter the story implications or the foreshadowing through fighting the Imprisoned, among other character concerns. I hope they use another fresh approach. Although I did like him being the evil version of Fi, I still felt he could have easily been mantled as the main villain of the game.

At least, since Ghirahim is just a spirit thing he can appear again in future games. His character is great so I hope he does. Or does Skyward Sword imply/state that Ghirahim is forever gone?

Golnei

At least, since Ghirahim is just a spirit thing he can appear again in future games. His character is great so I hope he does. Or does Skyward Sword imply/state that Ghirahim is forever gone?

It could go either way -
since his master ceased to exist, I wouldn't be surprised if he never showed up again, but as the last we see of him is being ambiguously disintegrated/teleported, he could easily return. It's less final than Koume and Kotake's fate in OoT, at least; and that didn't stop them from showing up again.

Kater

Banned
So same old game case blurb same old.

Can't wait for the big reveal where it was Ganon all along.

A Zelda game has a new enemy. Big surprise.

Come on guys. Be a little bit more optimistic and don't jump to conclusions so early. :)

I for one can believe that the developers will introduce a new big boss and leave out Ganon/Ganondorf completely like in the last console LoZ (from what I heard) (haven't played SS so no spoilers on that game please). I believe that the people working on the new LoZ game are aware enough about the Ganondorf fatigue and will definitely try to avoid any mention of him in the new game.

Hopefully the new villain is better than Yuga (the only Zelda villain more boring and generic than him is Bellum); it seems like EAD3 wanted to capitalize on Ghirahim's popularity, but didn't exactly understand why fans liked Ghirahim beyond his fabulous semi-drag queen sissy villain aesthetic.

If I had to speculate based on what we got in the trailer, I think it's possible that we might see some sort of robotic bad guy that's similar to the Ancient Lanayru Robots , Fi, or Scervo.
I'd really like that seeing as they could play around with an evil Fi-like (comically serious) personality.

Edit:
This is a 104 page thread lol

lol
This thread is like 50 times more active than any other LoZ OT in the community section.
It's sad to see the official Zelda fan thread sitting there collecting digital dust.

foxuzamaki

Hopefully the new villain is better than Yuga (the only Zelda villain more boring and generic than him is Bellum); it seems like EAD3 wanted to capitalize on Ghirahim's popularity, but didn't exactly understand why fans liked Ghirahim beyond his fabulous semi-drag queen sissy villain aesthetic.

If I had to speculate based on what we got in the trailer, I think it's possible that we might see some sort of robotic bad guy that's similar to the Ancient Lanayru Robots , Fi, or Scervo.
I'd really like that seeing as they could play around with an evil Fi-like (comically serious) personality.

Edit:

lol
This thread is like 50 times more active than any other LoZ OT in the community section.
It's sad to see the official Zelda fan thread sitting there collecting digital dust.

Lots of threads get sent to community to die, only a few manage to be on life support.

I see this hasn't been updated with the proper translation yet.

"In an endless world without barriers, the biggest one in the series yet, Link will encounter new mysteries and tough enemies." via Zelda Informer

So new villain unconfirmed. Which is okay in my book, titled #TeamGanondorf.

foxuzamaki

"In an endless world without barriers, the biggest one in the series yet, Link will encounter new mysteries and tough enemies." via Zelda Informer

How much a proper translation can set things straight

DizzyCrow

Endless world? Zelda procedurally generated world confirmed.

Looking at the quote...

"Endless" is probably just hype speak for "big", and "without barriers" is most likely referring to what Aonuma was talking about in the Digital Event in regards to WW, about how there isn't going to be a set entrance and exit for each place (e.g. Kakariko) in Zelda U.

...At least I hope. I hate procedural generation, and unless Hyrule is a very small asteroid there's no reason for it to be spherical or exclude the know other areas of its planet.

Tomohawk

If its endless, wouldnt it obviously be the biggest.

Looking at the quote...

"Endless" is probably just hype speak for "big", and "without barriers" is most likely referring to what Aonuma was talking about in the Digital Event in regards to WW, about how there isn't going to be a set a entrance and exit for each place (e.g. Kakariko) in Zelda U.

...At least I hope. I hate procedural generation, and unless Hyrule is a very small asteroid there's no reason for it to be spherical or exclude the know other areas of its planet.

I highly highly (highly) doubt Nintendo would use procedural generation for this. I mean, have they ever?

Anyways, I think you're right, it's just hyperbole for marketing purposes.

It also doesn't really say "the biggest in the series" though, but I guess it could imply it.

I highly highly (highly) doubt Nintendo would use procedural generation for this. I mean, have they ever?

Anyways, I think you're right, it's just hyperbole for marketing purposes.

It also doesn't really say "the biggest in the series" though, but I guess it could imply it.

Yeah, I doubt it'll be procedural generated as well, I was just saying that the experience I've had with that technology hasn't really been all that fun. Also, while it doesn't say a specific size, I'm pretty sure it'll end up being the biggest, I just hope they can fill it without making each Heart Container require 40 some Pieces of Heart! :p

Yeah, I doubt it'll be procedural generated as well, I was just saying that the experience I've had with that technology hasn't really been all that fun. Also, while it doesn't say a specific size, I'm pretty sure it'll end up being the biggest, I just hope they can fill it without making each Heart Container require 40 some Pieces of Heart! :p

original.jpg

Someone got this picture off the Nintendo site somehow, I don't see it when I go to the site, and the Japanese there does say it is the biggest world in the Zelda series.

Procedural generation can mean a lot of things, but using it to create bigger areas isn't particularly interesting or fun. I agree totally, though, they need to have interesting and worthwhile rewards for exploration. I think more lore and story can be one.

Someone got this picture off the Nintendo site somehow, I don't see it when I go to the site, and the Japanese there does say it is the biggest world in the Zelda series.

Procedural generation can mean a lot of things, but using it to create bigger areas isn't particularly interesting or fun. I agree totally, though, they need to have interesting and worthwhile rewards for exploration. I think more lore and story can be one.

Ah, I actually forgot about that image, I think someone brought it up earlier in this thread, I didn't know that it said that though. It being the biggest though isn't really all that surprising consider what we've seen plus the fact there's probably much more.

As for filling the world, I do agree story and lore could help, but I feel like if all you found was someone you could talk to and then that was it, the specific area might become somewhat useless after you explore it, so I'd hope they have some kind of contingency plan in place to prevent parts of the world from becoming useless after you visit them. Perhaps they could use procedural generation to fill areas you've already explored with random chests containing rupees or treasures that could be used to upgrade you weapons. On the flip side though, that might get annoying very quickly, especially if your trying to 100% the game.

As for filling the world, I do agree story and lore could help, but I feel like if all you found was someone you could talk to and then that was it, the specific area might become somewhat useless after you explore it, so I'd hope they have some kind of contingency plan in place to prevent parts of the world from becoming useless after you visit them. Perhaps they could use procedural generation to fill areas you've already explored with random chests containing rupees or treasures that could be used to upgrade you weapons. On the flip side though, that might get annoying very quickly, especially if your trying to 100% the game.

My idea for the lore would be a little more involved than a random NPC. Perhaps it could be to do with deciphering some language or something. Maybe you find a stone tablet (ancient stone tablets :D) and you can't translate it, but throughout the course of the game you find things that can help you decipher the words, kind of like in FFX where you find the al bhed primers. I like the weapon and armor upgrade idea for sure. Maybe schematics for upgrades, probably more focused on armor, but could be focused on items as well like the bow and others.

My idea for the lore would be a little more involved than a random NPC. Perhaps it could be to do with deciphering some language or something. Maybe you find a stone tablet (ancient stone tablets :D) and you can't translate it, but throughout the course of the game you find things that can help you decipher the words, kind of like in FFX where you find the al bhed primers. I like the weapon and armor upgrade idea for sure. Maybe schematics for upgrades, probably more focused on armor, but could be focused on items as well like the bow and others.

I do think extra lore and story could be awesome, I was just pointing out that sometimes areas that are optional are really only used for one thing then forgotten.

Top Bottom