• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

The teaser was so short, but it was basically a perfect realization of "exactly what I wanted while still managing to surprise/impress me" (including the introduction portion referencing the original LoZ). I'm keeping all my fingers crossed hoping they can realize the potential shown here.

So this bloom that Nintendo has been adding to their games. Is there instances of this in real life or is this some sort of initiation that all developers have to go through when they move to HD? Maybe an intentional design choice to draw you eyes away from the bg and make it easier to focus on the character?

Riki

So this bloom that Nintendo has been adding to their games. Is there instances of this in real life or is this some sort of initiation that all developers have to go through when they move to HD? Maybe an intentional design choice to draw you eyes away from the bg and make it easier to focus on the character?

It's more just so the game looks brighter and more vibrant on screen. I mean, they've been using Bloom for ages now. TP had a lot, even.

Well, ask Kotaku about that Tag then

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/06/fan-theory-link-in-the-new-zelda-is-a-girl/

"Look at the above picture — is that a bust, or has Link just gotten hella swole around that area, benching 200kgs and whatnot?"

Oh GAF, you just can't even start to assimilate how hard am I laughing right now.

Jesus.

Thanks, internet and bad journalism for these moments.

zelda.jpg

Ito, you do know that someone is going to send your pics to a gaming site and that they will write an article on the "finer details of Link's (or is it Linkette's?) model", right?

Called it.

Eiolon

After playing World of Warcraft all of these years, it would be awesome if Nintendo could replicate the scale of one of those continents for Hyrule and make it all seamless. I hope they don't instance the towns and you can walk right into them without any loading.

co1onel

Made a comparison gif,
zeldacomparenmqsg.gif

going into E3 I was all over the prospects of them using the tech demo style but the new art hits all the right notes. This is one of those games that will look good forever.

The art styles are so different, I don't even think you can compare them.

Riki

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYn2C7g4HQ

1 hour ago

Hello to everyone in the Zelda Community. I am currently visiting Los Angeles in the United States.

This year’s E3 has begun! Did you already have a chance to watch the Nintendo Digital Event that aired yesterday? Many people from the media kept asking me if the footage from the new Zelda game for Wii U is just a promotional movie, but that really is actual gameplay on Wii U.

Also, I wasn’t kidding about how you will be able to reach the mountains that appear in the distance if you should choose to!

I also got to talk about Hyrule Warriors on Nintendo Treehouse Live at E3 on the live internet show from E3 with Mr. Hayashi from Tecmo Koei Games. If you’re interested in hearing what we talked about, the videos will be posted soon so please check them out!

Lynd7

The same way it was gameplay from the TP reveal? I think this game is far more along than TP was at that time though.

Amikami

Banned
Nope. Don't believe that. Had to be a mistake. Not gameplay, but in-game...right! Unless maybe we're looking at some sort of action command sequence.

Riki

It's pretty obvious, guys.
The field and everything there was part of the actual game.
That entire sequence happens.
The chase after that is a small cutscene.

It's pretty obvious, guys.
The field and everything there was part of the actual game.
That entire sequence happens.
The chase after that is a small cutscene.

The chase is gameplay

Depending on where you go, there'll be a contextual in-engine cutscene that occurs then leads into the boss battle proper

We haven't seen enough of the game yet for me to make a stronger opinion on the graphics but it looks fantastic and is definitely in the direction I was hoping it would go which is less cel shading but still a but a strong art style and a colorful world. It reminds me of the artwork for OoT 3d where link is on epona.

There's no way that was gameplay. Not because its impossible, but because it doesn't look like something that would be conducive to gameplay. In engine scripted sequence is what that looks like.

BY2K

Membero Americo
That shot of the field could have been gameplay.

He literally said: "This is what the game looks like." And Nintendo is not known to lie about that stuff.

Riki

The chase is gameplay

Depending on where you go, there'll be a contextual in-engine cutscene that occurs then leads into the boss battle proper

I don't think so. It would be too hard to control with those camera angles.
The field is obviously gameplay. From the point the robot shows up and onward is a cutscene.

Riki

I like how he says, if you so choose to go to that mountain, like you don't have to. It makes it sound like this really is going to be an open world game, it's not just important things only, like dungeons and the like, in the world to explore.

During the event, he literally said "You can approach the world from any side".
That basically implies that you can go anywhere at any time.
How that will translate into a Zelda game, I don't know, but I'm down to try it!

I know the final sequence with Not Link firing arrows was just an in-engine cutscene, but is it possible that for the chase sequence they played through it regularly but then went back with a different camera to show it zoomed out? Would that even be a possibility?

Either way, it's super great that these visuals are what we'll be getting when the game releases.

Neff

There's no way that was gameplay. Not because its impossible, but because it doesn't look like something that would be conducive to gameplay. In engine scripted sequence is what that looks like.

Yeah, I'd say so. It's probably a key event (although without revealing too much), close to the beginning of the game.

Nintendo always goes with realtime cutscenes in Zelda, too.

I don't think so. It would be too hard to control with those camera angles.
The field is obviously gameplay. From the point the robot shows up and onward is a cutscene.

SotC had horse riding across fields with giant beats firing lasers at you 9 years ago

The game will have bosses that roam the overworld and wander through/attack towns in search of Linketta

Not

Banned
SotC had horse riding across fields with giant beats firing lasers at you 9 years ago

The game will have bosses that roam the overworld and wander through/attack towns in search of Linketta

Aonuma's finally getting to implement his "bosses wandering around outside dungeons" mechanic. I've been waiting for all this stuff since he started saying it before Twilight Princess came out.

Aonuma's finally getting to implement his "bosses wandering around outside dungeons" mechanic. I've been waiting for all this stuff since he started saying it before Twilight Princess came out.

Me too. There are overworld bosses scattered throughout the series- Wind Waker and Twilight Princess come to mind- but they've never really reached the 'wandering' part.

Arttemis

I like how he says, if you so choose to go to that mountain, like you don't have to. It makes it sound like this really is going to be an open world game, it's not just important things only, like dungeons and the like, in the world to explore.

"Open world" doesn't really have to mean that the quest/story progression can't take you to every location. Sure, you'll end up going there anywhere, but the implications that you can 'go anywhere you see' is pretty huge compared to the small little openings in the maps we're used to.

-Horizon-

Well, ask Kotaku about that Tag then

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/06/fan-theory-link-in-the-new-zelda-is-a-girl/

"Look at the above picture — is that a bust, or has Link just gotten hella swole around that area, benching 200kgs and whatnot?"

Oh GAF, you just can't even start to assimilate how hard am I laughing right now.

Jesus.

Thanks, internet and bad journalism for these moments.

zelda.jpg

GAF, you're a bad influence.

wiiu_zelda_scrn01_e3xeexh.png

vs
newPS3_013.bmp.jpg

Wow. Zelda U looks 100 times better.

The color and style really helps. Everything just pops and seems so lively. All praise Skyward Sword 2.0!

okay, EasyD and MattyG. I live to serve.

plain:
ikXFPnYDIac0c.gif

abandon thread:
iB3lagALk5iHT.gif

the legend of Bishoptl:
ibz5xeuBAQcs0F.gif

banned:
ibz6pFQasf0DYW.gif

I can't omg I can't /dead

scores87

Neo Member
In the trailer they show a bridge breaking, and some stone structure getting destroyed when the giant thing hits it, is it possible we will have semi destructible environments?

Volotaire

Me too. There are overworld bosses scattered throughout the series- Wind Waker and Twilight Princess come to mind- but they've never really reached the 'wandering' part.

The whole 'high level enemies' and 'boss wandering' mechanic remind me, although I don't want to make the parallel, of almost a light Dark Souls type mechanic. Imagine seeing a boss/strong enemy that is much stronger or capable over you in terms of skill and inventory while you are wondering a field or cave. In Twilight it was constrained to set pieces and constrained areas. There is a vast amount of potential here. The best parallel from Twilight is probably the first part of the horse fighting scene in Hyrule Field by Karakikio village, but even then it was sequenced/forced/constrained.

Not

Banned
In the trailer they show a bridge breaking, and some stone structure getting destroyed when the giant thing hits it, is it possible we will have semi destructible environments?

It's possible, but in no way confirmed. Unbreakable things break in cutscenes all the time.

The whole 'high level enemies' and 'boss wandering' mechanic remind me, although I don't want to make the parallel, of almost a light Dark Souls type mechanic. Imagine seeing a boss/strong enemy that is much stronger or capable over you in terms of skill and inventory while you are wondering a field or cave. In Twilight it was constrained to set pieces and constrained areas. There is a vast amount of potential here. The best parallel from Twilight is probably the first part of the horse fighting scene in Hyrule Field by Karakikio village, but even then it was sequenced/forced/constrained.

Not bosses, but in A Link Between Worlds, the only thing stopping you from doing the 'last' dungeons first is that the enemies outside them are much too strong. I actually did do the second last dungeon second, and it was hard to stay alive.

That's always a fun part of games when it's well executed. I haven't played Dark/Demon's Souls, so my best comparison is probably Monster Hunter. Deviljho showing up in the middle of a quest is fun times for everybody!

trinest

I'm thinking this game is Pre OoT post Skyward Sword. I'm thinking this will be about them coming down to the ground and starting a life and have been their for a while but not amazingly long.

I'm thinking the time travel stone and the robot are part of the tribe which was in the Desert in Skyward Sword, that weird futuristic tribe.

scores87

Neo Member
It's possible, but in no way confirmed. Unbreakable things break in cutscenes all the time.

mmm disappointing, Another thing that led me to think this is when Aonuma said Wind Waker felt open world but you could only get to the islands one way (or something like that) and he then showed the boat shooting bombs around a breakable door

I felt he was implying this time you make your own path, but anyways no point in discussing since we won't know till launch

if I didn't explain myself correctly sorry my native language isn't english.

Ansatz

They even said it's gameplay but not the real angle you will be playing the game with. I still wonder if this will be the usual 3D Zelda perspective, behind the character with 360 degree control or Mario 3D World-ish.

MattyG

Banned
They even said it's gameplay but not the real angle you will be playing the game with. I still wonder if this will be the usual 3D Zelda perspective, behind the character with 360 degree control or Mario 3D World-ish.
If it's true open world like they claim there is no way it'll be like SM3DW. I can almost guarantee you it'll be like every other 3D Zelda's camera.

-Horizon-

I'm thinking this game is Pre OoT post Skyward Sword. I'm thinking this will be about them coming down to the ground and starting a life and have been their for a while but not amazingly long.

I'm thinking the time travel stone and the robot are part of the tribe which was in the Desert in Skyward Sword, that weird futuristic tribe.
Its like our minds are in sync.

Five

Banned
I've seen 1080p screenshots, does it run at that definition?

Unless Nintendo's got an impeccable AA solution, these screenshots were rendered much higher (at least 4K) and scaled down. It's hard to tell from the compressed YouTube video, but there looks to be some aliasing in the footage.

You can't infer from the screenshots that the game will run at the same resolution, unfortunately. That doesn't mean it won't, it only means you can't just assume so.

But, looking at the WiiU's track record, most of the 1080p games are ports of older titles, either PS360 games or WWHD. Mario Kart 8 was supposed to be 1080p but then got bumped down to 720p. And Zelda's supposed to be open world, which is harder to get running well.

I'd be very surprised if it hits 1080p. Don't give up hope yet, but also don't bet the farm.

Ito

It's most likely going to be 720/30. I guess there's a chance it'll be more, but I'm betting they're going all out on visual effects.

No please D:

This game needs 1080p. 30 fps would be ok, but we need all the resolution available.

Just look at that horizon, reescaling it from 720p would screw the nice effect..

Nintendo has showed bullshots in the past (with Skyward Sword), but those were blatantly obvious (I mean, 1080p screens from a Wii game), it's not the same that making us believe something that can actually happen.

And yet, they still have to elaborate on the game technical specs, so maybe you're right and it's bad news.

Hopefully, the fact that the game is being developed on an exclusive platform will help them to improve the optimization. They have to take advantage of all the hills and terrain elevantions to manage the draw distance cleverly.

Skyward Sword had really beautiful environments that we weren't able to enjoy due to that blurry/distorted effect. Please, Nintendo, let us have the crisp image quality we deserve this time!

lefantome

No please D:

This game needs 1080p.

30 fps would be ok, but we need all the resolution available.

Just look at that horizon, reescaling it from 720p would screw it.

Nintendo showed bullshots in the past (Skyward Sword) but those were blatantly obvious, it's not the same.

Yet they still haven't elaborated on the game specs, so maybe you're right and it's bad news.

Hopefully, the fact that the game is being developed on an exclusive platform will help them to improve the optimization. They have to take advantage of all the hills to manage the draw distance cleverly.

Skyward Sword had really beautiful environments covered by a blurry distorted effect. Please, Nintendo, let us have the crisp image quality we deserve!

This is why power uogrades are needed(one of the many reasons)

Marlowe89

Honestly, Souls is the new Zelda. Darker, but true to zelda's origins.

Anyone who grew up with lttp and Zelda nes will know exactly what I mean.

Oh, I know what you mean. Doesn't mean I need to approve of Souls' color palette or its art direction for that matter. Anything remotely similar to that series' aesthetics needs to stay the fuck out of this franchise.

Top Bottom