• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet USER LEVELS thread.

Clipper

Please let me know if I didn't do this right. I had no idea how to make the font image, but found this thing called FreeType in The Gimp which seems to have done the right thing. Also, I don't have a pic yet, but I'll try to create one and edit this post (Edit: done). Feel free to make your own though as I'll just be taking the pic with my iPhone off my projected onto wall. In any case...

I submit, for your approval:

NTTTitle.png

Nintendo Trivia Test / Clipper_US
An intriguing quiz mechanic that randomly selects different questions each time you play.
Australia

LBPPicture002Scaled.jpg

Wurm

Banned
Thats the spirit Clipper. Want to see more people posting with big ol' eye grabbin headers, and a couple of pics. If you PM Ranger X the details on how you used The Gimp and this FreeType thing to make your banner, that'd spur other people on as well I'm sure.

Also, if people could keep their pics down to a smaller size, that'd make the thread more browseable than someone posting loads of huge ones. Something closer to the Wurm's Picks size or Ranger X's two-pack would be grand.

Goldrusher

InfoMoon -> Me -> My Levels
Then use L1/R1 to switch to Hearted Levels and Hearted Creators.

Anyway, been playing some of the levels in the list and Uncharted: Sackboys Misfortune is crap.
Well, it's not crap, but nothing in it reminded me of Uncharted and pretty much everything interesting has been copy-pasted from the story levels.

Ranger X

Goldrusher said:
InfoMoon -> Me -> My Levels
Then use L1/R1 to switch to Hearted Levels and Hearted Creators.

Anyway, been playing some of the levels in the list and Uncharted: Sackboys Misfortune is crap.
Well, it's not crap, but nothing in it reminded me of Uncharted and pretty much everything interesting has been copy-pasted from the story levels.

In all honesty the Uncharted Sackboys was bordeline good enough for me to include. It probably will be one of the first levels to pop out from the OP as other better levels will be added.
Also, i don't except every level to please everyone. I hope everyone will use the thread and post the best levels they find. This way we will constantly have good levels to play for everyone.

Wurm

Banned
Oh yeah, and if people want to make some youtube video walkthroughs of levels like some people did during the Beta, we'll definitely include them. Shame this forum doesnt support directly posting them like many others do though...

Jaeyden

For the love of god people, please heart good levels and authors. I spent a lot of this weekend playing levels on other GAFfers hearted lists and was shocked to see some of you out there have hardly spread the love at all. Shame on you.

Clipper

Wurm/Ranger X, you should really include instructions for how to create that font in a variety of tools people might have if you want them to title their levels correctly...

Here's instructions for The Gimp(my version is 2.2 on Win XP):

1: Create a new canvas with File...New. Default settings should suffice, but you may want to change canvas size to 400x100 if too small
2: Double click the foreground colour and change HTML notation to 555555 then hit OK.
3: In the canvas window, select Filters...Text...FreeType.
3a: If this is the first time you do this, you will be asked to select fonts directories. Default Windows font directory should be OK.
4: Fill in the options to make it look like the following screenshot, then press OK:
Dialog.png

5: With the text that was created still selected, select Edit...Copy then Edit...Paste as New.
6: In the new window select File...Save As and save as a .png file
7: Upload your new title to an image server and link it into your post!

dock

I just tried 'The Domain' and loved it! I also managed to get the highest single-player score for the stage (3004). Very well done Dr. Pacifist!

Ranger X

Clipper said:
Wurm/Ranger X, you should really include instructions for how to create that font in a variety of tools people might have if you want them to title their levels correctly...

thanks buddy. It's added in the first page and OP

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm getting LBP in the mail tomorrow and I was a bit reluctant to wade through other threads to find good levels. So yeah, great thread.

ckeur

My level:

Name: Shadow of Argus
PSN: Modulos

Roommate's level:

Name: Axis Labyrinth
PSN: Puli

XonoX

This is my first attempt at a level.

Modelled on my real-life A/V system. Your journey begins on the bottom shelf and works its way up each shelf until you get to the TV at the top.

Name - Climb the Bravia !
Location - Australia
PSN - botswanajones

Constructive criticism is welcome.

LOL, my levels showed up in the popular section. Can't complain about that. I will add to the fun in a bit. There's some interesting stages I found the other night. Good work guys!

Tieno

Very good, interesting and useful thread. Great effort man! I'll get this game somewhere down the line.

Can you subscribe to a rss-like feed like in spore with the spore casts? To a collection of levels? Cause search and downloading all these levels might be a hassle.

Wurm

Banned
Tieno said:
Can you subscribe to a rss-like feed like in spore with the spore casts? To a collection of levels? Cause search and downloading all these levels might be a hassle.

The best way is to add someone like Ranger X, MiamiWesker or someone else that hearts all the cool levels they play and go to their Hearted List globe and jam through that playing everything. Also you don't download a level as such, as you just launch right into it after it loads.

Ranger X

Tieno said:
Very good, interesting and useful thread. Great effort man! I'll get this game somewhere down the line.

Right now you'll need to use the keyword search. A better search is supposed to be patched down the line. At least this thread makes it also easier than the "cool levels" option of the game.

Another thing you can do in the game is to look into people's "hearted levels". This is they favorite list. That's how I found most of the levels I featured in the thread. When you like a level, heart it for yourself too and you'll never search again. You should see my hearted list lol. It's getting big.

Awesome OP! How do you get such good pics?

Maybe I'll start working on my level again instead of minigame stuff.

Oh, I finally caved and made a trophy level. The hearts were just too appealing for me. It's called "Loads of Trophies, loads of PRIZES! Gift!"

Yeah, don't try it. The prizes are 20 penis. :p There are no trophies.

Tieno

Wurm said:
The best way is to add someone like Ranger X, MiamiWesker or someone else that hearts all the cool levels they play and go to their Hearted List globe and jam through that playing everything. Also you don't download a level as such, as you just launch right into it after it loads.

Ranger X said:
Right now you'll need to use the keyword search. A better search is supposed to be patched down the line. At least this thread makes it also easier than the "cool levels" option of the game.

Another thing you can do in the game is to look into people's "hearted levels". This is they favorite list. That's how I found most of the levels I featured in the thread. When you like a level, heart it for yourself too and you'll never search again. You should see my hearted list lol. It's getting big.
Ok, thanks. That's pretty much the same as a sporecast, good.

Wurm

Banned
Ranger X said:

They really really need to do away with using the Globe for Searching as well. When I search for something I want the results right there for me to scroll through, not have to switch between multiple globes and rotate them round to see each result. That was god damned stupid of them to do :lol

Tieno

I hope you guys can keep this up, cause it seems like a lot of hard work and time. I know I'll use this thread pretty thoroughly when I get the game.

Ranger X

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Awesome OP! How do you get such good pics?

I actually feared they weren't good... lol
I took them myself with my camera then I reduced them + lower the color palette so they weight nothing. This actually took me a whole afternoon.

SappYoda

Clipper said:

1: Create a new canvas with File...New. Default settings should suffice, but you may want to change canvas size to 400x100 if too small
2: Double click the foreground colour and change HTML notation to 555555 then hit OK.
3: In the canvas window, select Filters...Text...FreeType.
3a: If this is the first time you do this, you will be asked to select fonts directories. Default Windows font directory should be OK.
4: Fill in the options to make it look like the following screenshot, then press OK:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Dr_Clipper/Dialog.png
5: With the text that was created still selected, select Edit...Copy then Edit...Paste as New.
6: In the new window select File...Save As and save as a .png file
7: Upload your new title to an image server and link it into your post!

My linux install lacks the text filter (I think its gone in the latest gimp version) and the italic arial black (its a privative font) :/

Ranger X said:
I actually feared they weren't good... lol
I took them myself with my camera then I reduced them + lower the color palette so they weight nothing. This actually took me a whole afternoon.

Ah. No, they look good.

I posted some pics (from phone) in the other thread but they looked terrible. I'll try with my cam some time and take them off a different TV.

rhino4evr

Idea: someone (thread creator?) should list his username, and allow us to heart him as a creator. That way we can see all the levels he has hearted, so we don't have to constantly use the search function.

Ranger X

rhino4evr said:
Idea: someone (thread creator?) should list his username, and allow us to heart him as a creator. That way we can see all the levels he has hearted, so we don't have to constantly use the search function.

RangerZero

Don't play my published level. It's FAR from being complete. I uploaded it before the end of the beta so i wouldn't lose it.

Samuray

Great thread indeed, bookmarked it already!

mio said:
And don't forget kids, play these levels ASAP before they get moderated.

1. I thought you could download the levels and keep playing them, no matter if they get deleted afterwards?

2. Is there still a decent Super Mario level out there that hasn't been moderated away yet?

Thanks!

Clipper

Samuray said:
Great thread indeed, bookmarked it already!

1. I thought you could download the levels and keep playing them, no matter if they get deleted afterwards?

Only if they are set to copyable by the creator, and nobody is going to do that due to leaches stealing levels and republishing them as their own.

SappYoda said:
My linux install lacks the text filter (I think its gone in the latest gimp version) and the italic arial black (its a privative font) :/

Arial Black is italic by default, it might be listed as regular by other editors. Also, it appears the latest versions of The Gimp no longer need FreeType as the software does well enough on its own.

ruffles

I have a few recommendations

Gantz Mission 3 by Iralbe-NA
Twisted Temple by Zookey- Europe
Haunted Ghost Land by HeLFiRe- NA
SPROESSER1 by sproesser- NA
The Jade Fortress by Jaeyden- NA
Underground Maelstrom by CaptBurn- Europe
Night of the Living Skulls by RenderFX-NA
Haunted Mansion by King_Ikreaj- NA
The Seven by Mirefox- NA
Elemental Madness by Zouketsuki-SA
SMB: World 1 by RyanardoDaVinci-NA

Clipper

Ken Masters said:
how do I find these levels online?

Go to the search option, hit Square and type in words from the title and/or creator ID then navigate to the area of the globe specified.

This info needs to be in the op!

Rapping Granny said:
anyone here have a problem with the in game keyboard other than me? I hate it.
USB keyboard FTW! If you don't have one, have you tried both input methods? You can toggle auto-complete on or off if that's the issue you have.

Clipper

Ok...The Gimp 2.6.2 settings for getting something approximating the correct font:

screenshot.png

Or you can use Arial Black for the font, but it doesn't appear in italics for some reason. Another option is to install the FreeType plugin into your new version of The Gimp from here: http://freetype.gimp.org/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Thanks for this thread. Not getting LBP till Christmas (I figured by then there would be a stockpile of AAA stuff to play through), so this level is a lifesaver.

Ranger X

Clipper said:
Ok...The Gimp 2.6.2 settings for getting something approximating the correct font:

screenshot.png

Or you can use Arial Black for the font, but it doesn't appear in italics for some reason. Another option is to install the FreeType plugin into your new version of The Gimp from here: http://freetype.gimp.org/

Can you make me one clear post with all the necessary steps to create the font and use it in a post? I would like to put it on the first page after that.

Top Bottom