• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lost art of Final Fantasy IX (Mama Robotnik Research Thread)

I'd love a remaster of all 3 PS1 FFs.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I really miss the pre-rendered background FF days.
Say what you will about the character model styles of the three games, but the backgrounds for all of them have been phenomenal.

You're not alone. I would pay too much money for a remaster of the 3 games.

Stuart444

If you ever find this type of stuff for FFVIII, a thread about that would be well worth seeing :)

(Yes FFVIII is my fave FF. Love that game. Then again, I love all 3 PS1 FFs)

Norua

Banned
Thank you so much, these are awesome.

Don't hesitate to keep it flowing / do another thread on another Square game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You should have your own website.

Edit: I would check for updates every day.

Rootbeer

Banned
amazing... had no idea the assets were so beautiful. played the ps1 game through three times... and i now own it on PSN and may play through it on my Vita at some point. I adore FF9, it is also my favorite of the PS1 FFs

I wonder, of those who prefer FF9 to 7 or 8, do they also tend to prefer 12 to 10? Because I do; wonder if there is any correlation there :p

ZeroAKA

I've never played FFIX, but your threads are incredible and make me want to play those games. Keep them coming!

H3xum

Really cool stuff. I'm curious how you get this info?

It has inspired me to put it back on my Vita for when I travel this weekend

Supamon

Neo Member
Amazing OP. 9 is still one of my favorite FF games, it was a great swan song to the PS. Pity it wasn't received well at the time if I remember right.

Really cool stuff. I'm curious how you get this info?

- I definitely have to agree with this. How do you even find these things?
How on EARTH do you find this stuff?

Google, literally just Google.

There are so many portfolio sites out there, as long as you search for the right terms you can find them. All of the info in this thread literally took me just a few hours to find.

Oemenia

Banned
Thanks a lot for ruining FFIX for me! I just hope people get round to cleaning up FFVIII on PC like they did with VII. Even though IX doesnt have a PC version at least the 2D backgrounds feel much more organic rather than just pretty pictures.

But yeah, why on Earth do they throw away their higher-quality assets?

Niwa

Thank you Mama, I can't believe how beautiful these BGs are. Where are todays Pre-Rendered BG Games? They'd look ace!

Absolutely beautiful, amazing, amazing thread OP! Got me super pumped to replay FFIX (once I get the hefty beast that is Xenoblade outta the way.) All the "lost art" portion makes me wish for an FFIX HD up-port.

In the meantime, I'll go and snuggle up with a warm drink and my Art of FFIX book.

RiverBed

Banned
Something always bothered me. I thought this character looked like this:
ib0cZrRP0isala.jpg

So in my mind, the character was a gritty old dude. Turns out she was a cute furry. I didn't find out till way after I finished the game. My mind's conception and imagination for the entire character was shattered.

My only pet peeve with the game is how the final, final boss comes out of nowhere. They could've at least thrown in a few more lines of texts here and there explaining/mentioning something. But I liked the game and that are style will always have something special about it.

... I miss the days each FF game was truly unique. :(

ib0cZrRP0isala.jpg

So in my mind, the character was a gritty old dude. Turns out she was a cute furry. I didn't find out till way after I finished the game. My mind's conception and imagination for the entire character was shattered.

My only pet peeve with the game is how the final, final boss comes out of nowhere. They could've at least thrown in a few more lines of texts here and there explaining/mentioning something. But I liked the game and that are style will always have something special about it.

You're not necessarily wrong with the eyes. I always imagined her to peak through (her hair) and the holes in the hat. I guess the placement could seem a bit high, but maybe the hat tips down lower during everyday use...

I dunno, I guess you can reconcile such things with your imagination.

Beren

I found a concept art, for yer awesome thread Mama Robotnik maybe everyone knows it (but is the 1st time i see it) from my favorite character Quina Quen, she gives me the lulz every time she says something or does something i love Quina :3
vkMSjDB.jpg

Turned in to the funny! (and awesome)
zXp9n3E.jpg

Source:
http://it.finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Qu

Johnas

Man, I love that character art. Reminds me of some of Tactics' artwork.

FFIX was a really special game to me. I got out of gaming for a little while when I started college and then started gradually getting interested again. This game was one of the first ones where I really anticipated its upcoming release. I remember DHGF had a really beautiful preview of it, I used to look at it over and over.

I didn't realize at the time that it would be the last FF to deliberately echo the older games, I thought Square had decided to fully return to that after VIII was so divisive. It still amazes me that they even made this title, really.

Also, thanks MR for your research. Great stuff.

Kambing

My favorite final fantasy(only have beat 3 lol). Thanks for this thread though. God damn, the amount of detail is insane. Always such a pleasure to play this game.

ib0cZrRP0isala.jpg

Man I don't know how this could happen. I thought there were even times where her hat was off. Possibly while talking to Fratley in flashbacks?

And there are two full cities of mouse people and their motifs. I guess one is destroyed, but the other has plenty of them with exposed faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSFF6zfjk0

I found a concept art, for yer awesome thread Mama Robotnik maybe everyone knows it (but is the 1st time i see it) from my favorite character Quina Quen, she gives me the lulz every time she says something or does something i love Quina :3
vkMSjDB.jpg

Turned in to the funny! (and awesome)
zXp9n3E.jpg

Source:
http://it.finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Qu

Character design is amazing, in how it's unique and creative. I feel we will never see such style for a FF anymore.

DeSo

Banned
Wow, beautiful. I actually just finished IX for the first time (I missed it when it first came out, swore I'd get to it some day) and found the art direction really inspired. Just a really good game all-around. I think the only qualm I had with it was the slowness of the battles.

Ohnonono

I go back to this game like I go back to reading good books. It has aged very well and besides the slowish battles (I don't think they are much worse than any PS1 iteration) the game really doesn't need any other warnings when you suggest it to someone. The story is pretty timeless and the world is very charming. Also one of the best endings in FF history for sure.

Chev

Are many/any/some/none of the images from the OP in the art book? It would be interesting to see whst degree that Square USA were credited for the game's look.
Almost none of the OP images are from the artbook, maybe two or three. But the ones from Beren's post are. Do keep in mind the artbook focused more on concept art while many of OP's pic are from later stages of production.

Chris R

Oh man, I love this thread.

I hope at some point FFIX gets an HD remake, because it deserves it. Still my favorite FF game (recently passed VI after replaying both last year).

zelu1984

Neo Member
Thank you very much for posting these! Amazing stuff!

Does anyone have/ever seen bigger version of any of these?

Some of those have that cheap PSX CGI look to them, but other ones, like the Rat city, are just oozing with atmosphere.

Mama, do we know what resolution the original artwork all was? (In other words, are these all scaled down?) I'm just trying to imagine how high resolution a remake could be using these aspects (in my dreams).

Top Bottom