• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lyrics of this song I just heard on Spotify are pure hate speech

depths20XX

This reminded me of the song "angel of death" from Slayer. I know they said that they were not OK with the Nazis in an interview , but reading the lyrics you can tell they were not telling the truth (at least, that is my opinion) . After this song , not only i stopped liking Slayer, but it opened my eyes to the while racist thing going on in the metal scene many years ago.

Lyrics:

Auschwitz, the meaning of pain
The way that I want you to die
Slow death, immense decay
Showers that cleanse you of your life
Forced in
Like cattle
You run
Stripped of
Your life's worth
Human mice, for the angel of death
Four hundred thousand more to die
Angel of death
Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
Sadistic, surgeon of demise
Sadist of the noblest blood
Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the Aryan race
Surgery, with no anesthesia
Fell the knife pierce you intensely
Inferior, no use to mankind
Strapped down screaming out to die
Angel of death
Infamous butcher,
Angel of death
Pumped with fluid, inside your brain
Pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes
Burning flesh, drips away
Test of…

Uh, pretty sure that song is about a Nazi doctor that tortured people. How is it pro-nazi? Songs aren't always about good things. Especially metal songs.

Lkr

This reminded me of the song "angel of death" from Slayer. I know they said that they were not OK with the Nazis in an interview , but reading the lyrics you can tell they were not telling the truth (at least, that is my opinion) . After this song , not only i stopped liking Slayer, but it opened my eyes to the whole racist thing going on in the metal scene many years ago.

Lyrics:

Auschwitz, the meaning of pain
The way that I want you to die
Slow death, immense decay
Showers that cleanse you of your life

Forced in
Like cattle
You run
Stripped of
Your life's worth
Human mice, for the angel of death
Four hundred thousand more to die

Angel of death
Sadistic, surgeon of demise
Sadist of the noblest blood

Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the Aryan race

Surgery, with no anesthesia
Fell the knife pierce you intensely
Inferior, no use to mankind
Strapped down screaming out to die
Angel of death
Infamous butcher,
Angel of death

Pumped with fluid, inside your brain
Pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes
Burning flesh, drips away
Test of heat burns your skin, your mind starts to boil
Frigid cold, cracks your limbs

How long can you last
In this frozen water burial?
Sewn together, joining heads
Just a matter of time
til you rip yourselves apart
Millions laid out in their

Crowded tombs
Sickening ways to achieve
The holocaust
Seas of blood, bury life
Smell your death as it burns
Deep inside of you

Abacinate, eyes that bleed
Praying for the end of
Your wide awake nightmare
Wings of pain, reach out for you
His face of death staring down,
Your blood running cold

Injecting cells, dying eyes
Feeding on the screams of
The mutants hes creating
Pathetic harmless victims
Left to die
Rancid angel of death
Flying free

Angel of death
Infamous butcher,
Angel of death
Is this a joke like the OP proclaiming the song in the OP is hate speech? How can anyone interpret this as Nazi sympathizing? They're clearly talking about the horrors of Josef Mengele not praising him...

Uh, pretty sure that song is about a Nazi doctor that tortured people. How is it pro-nazi? Songs aren't always about good things. Especially metal songs.

Yeah I thought this was about the Dr.

Metal is all over the place with beliefs just like all genres of music or people in general. I am pretty sure Slayer is not down with the Nazis.

stuminus3

I did not expect this topic to be about Steel Panther. Context is important, guys.

With that being said that game Bully is pure evil.

Yeah, about Josef Mengele. Nevertheless i feel the song is glorifying him.
I don't see anything about the nazi doctors made positive in that song. The song puts you in the shoes of the nazi doctors' thinking, of how he's a sadistic and inhumane psychopath who will do the most heinous horrors imaginable and bringing to light that a lot of that was actually done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Death_(Slayer_song)
Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman wrote "Angel of Death" after reading books about Nazi physician Josef Mengele while on tour with the band.[2] He said that he remembered "stopping someplace where I bought two books on Mengele. I thought, 'This has gotta be some sick shit.' So when it came time to do the record, that stuff was still in my head—that's where the lyrics to 'Angel of Death' came from."[2]

The lyrics are written both from Mengele's point of view and from that of a detached observer condemning his actions.[3] They detail Mengele's surgical experiments on patients at the Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II.[4][5] Mengele's explorations were conducted on such groups as dwarfs and twins, and included both physical and psychological examinations.[6][7] Among the tests he performed that are mentioned in "Angel of Death" are experimental surgeries performed without anesthesia, transfusion of blood between twins, isolation endurance, gassing, injections with lethal germs, sex change operations, the removal of organs and limbs, and abacination.[8]​

Just like how the film Men Behind The Sun about the Japanese horrors committed on the Chinese during WW2 isn't glorifying them but bringing to light the inhumane tortures done.

Aske

Steel Panther is a group that parodies glam metal. Profanity and humorous lyrics are their thing.

This is true. I checked them out after they popped up in a Ninja Sex Party video. Have to say, parody or not, I kind of felt like they missed the mark of satire and came off as writing douchy songs with shitty lyrics "for a joke bro".

This is true. I checked them out after they popped up in a Ninja Sex Party video. Have to say, parody or not, I kind of felt like they missed the mark of satire and came off as writing douchy songs with shitty lyrics "for a joke bro".
They walk the line between celebrating the debauchery and laughing at it.

Carn82

Nevertheless i feel the song is glorifying him.

well, thats how a lot of lyrics work; a lot of lyrics with metalbands are purely for shock-value and shouldnt be taken as 'opinions' or whatever. Funny thing is, Tom Araya (Slayers vocalist and bass player) is a pretty "religious" guy who visits church occasionally. You wouldnt think that given Slayer's lyrics/topics. Per wikipedia:

In an interview, Araya expressed his belief that "...Christ came and taught us about love, about doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another." When asked if he believed in God, he replied "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God."[16] Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel.... People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."

Araya commented about the misconception of the band labeled as Satan worshippers, "Yeah, yeah I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions towards the band, but next to that just the fact that we're normal." If guitarist King writes a good song, Araya puts his beliefs aside, "I'm not one that's going to go, 'This sucks because it's contrary to my beliefs.' To me it's more like 'This is really good stuff. You're going to piss people off with this.'"

sgjackson

Yeah, about Josef Mengele. Nevertheless i feel the song is glorifying him.

80s metal had a way of being really into some edgy shit and i think they saw themselves as in the same category as slasher films. in slayer's case i'd hazard it's mostly aesthetic, but it's definitely in a weird authorial intent grey area and i can see how it would turn you off. i think people would disagree with me, but seeing that song that way is a perfectly valid choice in my mind.

there are some actual like, really uncomfortably racist metal bands (malevolent creation, some black metal bands like grand belial's key, etc), but i'd probably say steel panther is more tone deaf than anything.

mhayes86

If it weren't for the Game Grumps' musical side projects (Ninja Sex Party), I wouldn't have any clue about Steel Panther. They're a raunchy glam metal parody band. Not a fan of them, personally.

old

I've always wanted to see Steel Panther live. Thanks for reminding me OP. I gotta check if they're touring my city this year.

Carn82

I think OP should be happy that Spotify didn't serve him Anal Cunt; with classics as "I Lit Your Baby On Fire", "Tim Is Gay", "Hitler Was A Sensitive Man", "I Sold Your Dog To A Chinese Restaurant", and the all time classic, "I got an office job for the sole purpose to sexually harass women"

Never heard of the band, but based off the lyrics in the OP I definitely wouldn't have guessed they were a parody band. The lyrics aren't exactly "ha ha" funny, at least in that song.

Aske

80s metal had a way of being really into some edgy shit and i think they saw themselves as in the same category as slasher films. in slayer's case i'd hazard it's mostly aesthetic, but it's definitely in a weird authorial intent grey area and i can see how it would turn you off. i think people would disagree with me, but seeing that song that way is a perfectly valid choice in my mind.

Regardless of Slayer's intentions and the members' ethnic backgrounds, the band is super popular amongst WP groups. As a teen, I used to frequently hit shows put on by a sweet Slayer covers band, who I later learned (by checking out their tattoos) were all WP guys.

Still an awesome song as far as I'm concerned, but I can understand and empathise with people who are turned off by the vibe they get from it.

Fercho

Regardless of Slayer's intentions and the members' ethnic backgrounds, the band is super popular amongst WP groups. As a teen, I used to frequently hit shows put on by a sweet Slayer covers band, who I later learned (by checking out their tattoos) were all WP guys.

Still an awesome song as far as I'm concerned, but I can understand and empathise with people who are turned off by the vibe they get from it.

Actually, i remember i saw years ago a photo of some Slayer members doing the nazi salute. I would look for it but i don't know if it is ok to post it here. Which drives my point even further.

Actually, i remember i saw years ago a photo of some Slayer members doing the nazi salute. I would look for it but i don't know if it is ok to post it here. Which drives my point even further.
I don't think they are nazis, well Araya is a Trump supporter but King was very vocal about being anti Trump and pro Hilary. Slayer writes a lot of songs about the horrors of war and WWII as well. That all said nazis do seem to like the band, I went to a Slayer show and saw a couple nazi punks with swastikas tattooed on the back of their heads. Though I'm very doubtful the band supports white power and Hitler.

Aske

I'd imagine that was mostly motivated by edge. It's only in the last few years that we've become more sensitive to anything remotely looking like it might possibly be glorifying nazism due to the rise of the far right, and power suddenly falling into the hands of neo-nazi groups (UKIP in the UK, and now Trump in the US), as well as long-ignored hate groups like the police force in the US being exposed to the mainstream.

Back in the 80s and 90s, people pushed each other's buttons without fear of anyone reading anything into it. I could see Slayer flirting with WP controversy just for the fun of it, just as they (and dozens of other bands) did with Devil worship. Fucking with oversensitive middle-Americans was a way of life for Gen Xers.

If death metal bands suddenly became a political power and started trying to murder religious people, we'd stop seeing bands writing antichristian lyrics unless they wanted to be associated with those extremists; but the bands of the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s weren't writing music in that cultural context. Same goes for bands using Third Reich imagery in the 80s and 90s being viewed through the cultural lens of 2017.

I for one can't believe that Beck proposes "get[ting] with" not only the muse that inspired the song, but also HER SISTER -- who he only "thinks" is named Debra.

Absolutely outrageous.

This reminds me of the metallica song "fade to black", glamorizing suicide:

Life it seems, will fade away
Drifting further everyday
Getting lost within myself
Nothing matters, no one else

I have lost the will to live
Simply nothing more to give
There is nothing more for me
Need the end to set me free

Things not what they used to be
Missing one inside of me
Deathly loss, this can't be real
Cannot stand this hell I feel

Emptiness is filling me
To the point of agony
Growing darkness, taking dawn
I was me but now he's gone

No one but me can save myself, but its too late
Now I can't think, think why I should even try

Yesterday seems as though it never existed
Death greets me warm, now I will just say goodbye

Goodbye...

/sarcasm

Seriously guys, what are we doing here? I can't tell if half of you are being serious or not.

Slayer doesn't support Nazis, and Angel of Death is just a different way to bring the horrors the Nazis committed to light. Absolutely nothing in that song says otherwise, and I can't picture how someone could interpret it as such unless their just looking for drama.

Steel Panther is a parody band, and those lyrics don't even invoke hate speech if they weren't.

Kusagari

Whether the lyrics were serious or not, calling that hate speech is offensive to people who experience actual hate speech.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Y'all ever listen to Necro?

Or any horrorcore for the matter.

Or those charming chaps, Infant Annihilator.

Some music, and the lyrics, are purely there to shock and appall.

For real hate speech look at bands like Skrewdriver.

sgjackson

yeah like lemmy collected nazi memorabilia and there are punk bands who used a lot of that imagery. the last example is kinda weird given black metal associated church burnings, though.

it's pretty telling that modern thrash has moved away from that aesthetic somewhat - bands like gama bomb and lich king being less self-serious, warbringer just being constant pointed anti-war creeds, vektor is weird space shit, municipal waste sidestepping everything and just singing about how awesome partying and being drunk is.

Anyone want to play devil's advocate for me, and tell me how this could be considered hate speech?
Like, I see how it's in poor taste, but I can't wrap my head about the term hate speech in this context.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Hate speech? Is this the new lable for anything people don't like? Calling someone ugly, parody or not, is not hate speech. Just call it mean and stop with the hyperbole.

I don't think they are nazis, well Araya is a Trump supporter but King was very vocal about being anti Trump and pro Hilary. Slayer writes a lot of songs about the horrors of war and WWII as well. That all said nazis do seem to like the band, I went to a Slayer show and saw a couple nazi punks with swastikas tattooed on the back of their heads. Though I'm very doubtful the band supports white power and Hitler.

Since the original topic of this thread is stupid (no offense OP), lets talk about Slayer/white supremacy

They took Minor Threat's anti-racist song and changed the last lyric to "guilty of being right". Give me a fucking break - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9bMxyMPNzs

yeah like lemmy collected nazi memorabilia and there are punk bands who used a lot of that imagery. the last example is kinda weird given black metal associated church burnings, though.
You're comparing Lemmy being into nazi memorabilia/stupid punks showcasing swastikas to shock people, to people having white power tattoos? That is not analogous at ALL

also, before anyone starts inferring - I don't have an opinion/know much about Lemmy's collection of nazi memorabilia, and I think that people's use of swastikas when punk was becoming a thing was stupid as fuck/rooted in ignorance as well

Kinyou

People really need a more clear definition of hate speech. Best to look at those countries where it's a legal term.

Fercho

Since the original topic of this thread is stupid (no offense OP), lets talk about Slayer/white supremacy

That was my original intention when i voiced my opinion about "Angel of death". Kinda of off putting for the backslash i received just to voiced my opinion about a song that makes me feel uncomfortable. One dude here called me "part of the problem" before editing his post. Don't know why ....

They took Minor Threat's anti-racist song and changed the last lyric to "guilty of being right". Give me a fucking break - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9bMxyMPNzs

Well, this is more direct!!! didn't know about this song.

Also i found the photo of Slayer members doing the nazi salute. This was the only link i could find, which ironically talks about how Kerry King was accused of being antisemite in the past, for the song........you guessed it, Angel of death (also before the Trump's era).

The article is also about Phil Anselmo doing HIS nazi salute. Which showcases this problem in the metal scene.

http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...elmo-was-out-of-line-with-white-power-gesture

PillarEN

This thread actually turned out to be a great comedy thread itself. I wish Spotify had lyrics again though. I'm guessing it was some sort of rights issue? It was a nifty feature though.

Top Bottom