• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Magicians - an adaptation of the Lev Grossman Series - S2 - Wed on SyFy

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakep267

Kinda late to the party, but I caught season 1 on Netflix. Solid show, I like it a lot. Although I'm unsure about where they are going with the second season. But 2 things really stuck out to me

1) I really really don't like Quentin. Or maybe I don't like the actor. He just seems to channel that Jesse eisenberg/ Michael Cera energy. But where as they are charming, it doesn't work for him. Also he seems kinda just there

2) it felt super abrupt ending with the main hedgewitch girl and Julia. One second she's a character then she's gone. I thought there would've been more story there

Also good lord, Alice is absolutely stunning

digdug2k

I love that this show's budget is so crappy they can't do many special effects. Having everything be so mundane just adds to the "magic doesn't just fix everything" vibe I love.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I found like I think show more than most other fantasy style shows I watch. I never read the books, but the show is really pretty fun.

The small glimpse of the dragon was well done.

Kady and Penny having inception sex was cool.

Q seeing Alice's shade was a sweet moment.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I keep wondering what exactly they plan on doing with Alice's shade. Are they going to stuff it into Julia's body? Do they now have a means of properly putting all of Alice's pieces back together? I's confused.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I keep wondering what exactly they plan on doing with Alice's shade. Are they going to stuff it into Julia's body? Do they now have a means of properly putting all of Alice's pieces back together? I's confused.
Q mentioned his spell to fix Alice was missing something and that it must have been her shade cause he had to failed to account for it in the equation. So I'm guessing theyre gonna stuff Alices shade in Julia long enough to give Q a chance to perform his spell now that he knows what was missing.

PREVIEW SPOILER:
Looks like they try in the next episode cause they clearly have niffin Alice in a cage and she's screaming.

Kaizer

Banned
So how's Season 2 been? I've been DVRing the show each week while watching the first season on Netflix (down to two episodes).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So how's Season 2 been? I've been DVRing the show each week while watching the first season on Netflix (down to two episodes).
Big step up from season 1 all around except for the SPOILER I GUESS
sense of dread that season 1 had. That feeling is gone in season 2 and it was 1 part of season 1 I really liked

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm digging it. I mentally checked​ out near the end of Season 1, but I've been completely keyed into Season 2.

Kaizer

Banned
Big step up from season 1 all around except for the SPOILER I GUESS
sense of dread that season 1 had. That feeling is gone in season 2 and it was 1 part of season 1 I really liked

I'm digging it. I mentally checked​ out near the end of Season 1, but I've been completely keyed into Season 2.

Sounds cool, really like the show, so can't wait to see Season 2.

Barzul

Season 2 has been awesome. Like a poster above said I like how they work with the budget constraints to still deliver a believable and grounded magic system. Not enough shows do this as well.

New episode tonight:
Ramifications

Quentin tries to bring Alice back to life with Mayakovsky's help, and Julia and Kady get unexpected support from Senator Gaines. Eliot seeks a new portal back to Fillory while Penny finds access to the Poison Room.

The plot on this show really moves at a breakneck pace at times, lots of major moments from start to finish in the penultimate episode.

The showdown between Julia/Kady/Reynard. Our Lady of Peace is a shitty mother, where the hell was she all this time?

Q restoring Niffin Alice to Human Alice.

The discovery of Umber or was it Ember.

Josh becoming king briefly was great though, being royalty in Fillory is more trouble than it's worth.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm so glad this show is smart about setting up the next big threat while they deal with the current problems. Way better than just having some new asshole show up in the season premiere.

No idea what they've got planned for the season finale. Maybe saving Margo from the fairies? Then again, I could see that being something that lingers into next season so she gets a new subplot.

New Alice is interesting. No easy fixes. So she's human again, but her personality is still operating like a Niffin. Guess it'll take some time for her to warm up again. I'm liked that they didn't just have her come back and everything be fine & dandy.

Great episode once again. The Magicians/The Expanse doubleheader is ridiculously good.

New Alice is interesting. No easy fixes. So she's human again, but her personality is still operating like a Niffin. Guess it'll take some time for her to warm up again. I'm liked that they didn't just have her come back and everything be fine & dandy.

Any Alice is interesting.

Shredderi

Late to the party as I just watched the first episode but man the main character is a dick. His best friend
was at her lowest and he must have knew pretty much exactly how she felt or that he would have felt the same way and instead of showing some level of support he just (at least seemingly) pushed her down the dark path. Or at least that's how it seems so far.

Read all the books multiple times, initially watched the show then checked out because I hate waiting each week for a new episode (I like to have an entire season to watch uninterrupted if I choose to), but since S1 is on Netflix I'll dive back in and see how it holds up in comparison to the books.

Kinda late to the party, but I caught season 1 on Netflix. Solid show, I like it a lot. Although I'm unsure about where they are going with the second season. But 2 things really stuck out to me

1) I really really don't like Quentin. Or maybe I don't like the actor. He just seems to channel that Jesse eisenberg/ Michael Cera energy. But where as they are charming, it doesn't work for him. Also he seems kinda just there

2) it felt super abrupt ending with the main hedgewitch girl and Julia. One second she's a character then she's gone. I thought there would've been more story there

Also good lord, Alice is absolutely stunning

Well if it's anything like the books you're not really supposed to like Quentin. He's an entitled whiny shit on purpose.

Late to the party as I just watched the first episode but man the main character is a dick. His best friend
was at her lowest and he must have knew pretty much exactly how she felt or that he would have felt the same way and instead of showing some level of support he just (at least seemingly) pushed her down the dark path. Or at least that's how it seems so far.

Keep watching. The way that arc ends is super fascinating.

Grizzlyjin

People who hate Dutch Angles would have a fit watching this show.

Lol. It's funny you bring that up. I never really thought about it until this past episode. I listened to a podcast that talked about how many Dutch angles were in Battlefield Earth, so it was on my brain and man, they sure love using them for Penny's scenes in the library.

Lol. It's funny you bring that up. I never really thought about it until this past episode. I listened to a podcast that talked about how many Dutch angles were in Battlefield Earth, so it was on my brain and man, they sure love using them for Penny's scenes in the library.
It was almost every shot.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to post this morning since I'm behind a few episodes.

Season finale tonight:
We Have Brought You Little Cakes

Quentin, Eliot, and Julia concoct a plan to stop Ember from destroying Fillory. Penny's prognosis is dire after his time in the Poison Room and tries to find answers to the Great Blank Spot with the time he has left. Kady wrestles with losing her chance for vengeance against Reynard, and now the reality that she is losing Penny. Alice struggles to reconnect with her humanity while Margo and Josh search for a way out of the Fairy Realm.

LuffyZoro

Seems like everything's in a pretty shitty situation. No idea how it's going to be resolved, but I'm looking forward to next season.

Not sure how Elliot got back into Fillory w/out the button from the dragon?

His moments with Julia and Margo were well done. It's a testament to how hot Margo is that even with the eye patch, she is still really hot.

Fillory remains a constant source of problems, first bored-asshole gods, now angry fairies.

Good to see Q and Julia back on good terms and it looks like she might be the spark to restoring magic.

I still think the show moves plot along too quickly, and sometimes crams too much in. I think it would benefit more by slowing down and allowing major events to have more of an impact before moving on to the next crisis.

That being said I still really enjoy the show and like the fact it's unique from most other things on the air. It has a level of comedy and darkness, mixed with fantasy that works well.

Lorcain

Anyone else think Julia is by far the hottest in the show? I mean god damn.
Most of the main characters are ridiculously attractive. Alice, Julia, Penny, and Eliot are so attractive that I find it jarring sometimes when they interact with the "regular", more mortal looking cast members (who are attractive too). It's almost unfair to the rest of the cast.

Josh is like a 4th wall character for me, representing what the average viewer would look like if they were pulled through the TV and put into the show surrounded by a crazy attractive cast. You know the gap is real when some of the main characters make other really attractive characters, like Quinten and Kady look ok.

I enjoyed the finale and I'm fully invested in seeing where they take season 3. It's amazing how much of a step up in quality season 2 was from season 1. The writers and actors are dialing in the right emotional beats while keeping it quirky and fun. In season 2 they really started to nail the offbeat dark humor mixed with the more serious issues.

The only main character I feel like they're still not dialed in with is Margo. I can't tell if it's the actress or the writing, or both. We learned from Ember's narration in the finale that she's playing his role of "The Bitch", but I think the writers and the actress are tying too hard to portray this. It would work so much better if her get-shit-done, strong leadership was more nuanced and subtle, and less in your face Brooklyn. That was really on display during the heist episode, and it was terrible. Just dial back on the try hard tough bitch, and go for a more natural I'm a badass and I know it.

spootime

Most of the main characters are ridiculously attractive. Alice, Julia, Penny, and Eliot are so attractive that I find it jarring sometimes when they interact with the "regular", more mortal looking cast members (who are attractive too). It's almost unfair to the rest of the cast.

Josh is like a 4th wall character for me, representing what the average viewer would look like if they were pulled through the TV and put into the show surrounded by a crazy attractive cast. You know the gap is real when some of the main characters make other really attractive characters, like Quinten and Jade look ok.

I enjoyed the finale and I'm fully invested in seeing where they take season 3. It's amazing how much of a step up in quality season 2 was from season 1. The writers and actors are dialing in the right emotional beats while keeping it quirky and fun. In season 2 they really started to nail the offbeat dark humor mixed with the more serious issues.

The only main character I feel like they're still not dialed in with is Margo. I can't tell if it's the actress or the writing, or both. We learned from Ember's narration in the finale that she's playing his role of "The Bitch", but I think the writers and the actress are tying too hard to portray this. It would work so much better if her get-shit-done, strong leadership side was more nuanced and subtle, and less in your face Brooklyn. That was really on display during the heist episode, and it was terrible. Just dial back on the try hard tough bitch, and go for a more natural I'm a badass and I know it.

Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying about Margo. It doesn't come across as authentic whatsoever. Margo has probably been the worst part of the season for me.

You know the point of Alice bring up
a gods parents
is something I've never really thought about.

The "plumbers" was a interest8ng touch

Julia definitely has a sultry, smokey thing going on. Still, Alice has dem thangs and looks like catnip for nerds.

the-magicians-gif.gif

I dig Margo as well. My point being is it differs for me depending on the episode.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So many questions
what will next season even be about if there is no magic? Trying to "fix it" may seem like a bit of a retrread of trying to fix the wellspring so I hope they do it well
Does Persephone count as one of the old gods? I'm assuming not. Reynard being her kid and not her lover was a nice touch

kirblar

So many questions
what will next season even be about if there is no magic? Trying to "fix it" may seem like a bit of a retrread of trying to fix the wellspring so I hope they do it well
Does Persephone count as one of the old gods? I'm assuming not. Reynard being her kid and not her lover was a nice touch
I suspect Julia's ability to still do magic is due to Persephone. She is the goddess of Spring after all.

Grizzlyjin

I appreciate what this show does on a shoestring budget. They almost got a Doctor Who thing going on where the cheapness is part of the charm.

Season 2 was a resounding success. I'm definitely coming back for more, whereas at the end of Season 1 I didn't really care for the show much anymore. All the arcs were nicely paced and didn't stagnate at all. Everything flowed nicely from one problem to the next to the next to the setup for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom