• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The making of WipEout [Edge]

Syriel

Ps4 is the first Sony console I bought without a Wipeout game available. This gen won't be complete for me without one. =(

PlayStation for me is no Wip3out, no buy.

Cool article. I remember, 'way back then, reading some articles about Sony acquiring Psygnosis. Some writers were mocking them for buying Psygnosis instead of DMA Designs, saying that Sony whiffed by not getting the Lemmings studio (DMA Design made Lemmings, Psygnosis was the publisher).

That turned out fine, immediately. Wipeout was one of the key pre-launch Playstation hype-generating games, and aside from Tekken (maybe), the one that had the most long-term presence.

Yeah, Sony dodged a bullet by not buying the studio that created Grand Theft Auto.

Controls on the Saturn version were dumbed down. Also, no NeGCon. I was hardcore.

No neGcon, but the Saturn version was faster when played a NTSC machine due it being coded for PAL.

i wish wipeout was bought to PC

im not touching redout

tell me i dont need to frown shinobi

shinobi

There is/was a PC version.

John Wick

PSX is as good a place as any I suppose. I'm not 100% sure when.

It's not really a 'new' game but a remastering of a few of them. It's new...ish.

Really??? It's not some elaborate ruse to get our hopes up? I'll take the remasters if they aren't going to make a new one. Yes

Putty

Some of the devs are working on Formula Fusion. Its on EA on Steam and looks great!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/389670/
ss_ee70a208b9ca1efe55d74d617046f65e6b764c36.1920x1080.jpg

The best is yet to come with FF 8).

I came in here expecting to cry.

I leave with a smile on my face.

Good show, thread!

Same here, I'm sorry for the bump but if I get this godtier menu in 4K VR I will cry.

A compendium of WipEout games would be awesome, I'd sell my soul for a new ground-up PS4 title though.

My ideal studio would be Guerrilla Cambridge I think, I'm impressed with what they've done with RIGS, particularly the flashy intro in VR. That assures me they'd handle the visual design neatly; hell that game could be set in the same universe for all intents and purposes. Also, the RIGS concept is basically 'futuristic basketball', whereas Wipeout is futuristic motorsport, and each have the whole stadium-of-fans thing too. I know none of this has anything to do with gameplay, though. Just drawing comparisons from the visual style and setting, this video about RIGS' artistry shows GC has the chops.

StayDead

Wow this looks great. I got a PS4 recently and it's the first PlayStation I've personally owned since the PS2. (Dad had a PS3, but he didn't live with me). Bring on a new Wipeout! :>

I grew up on the Wipeout games and instantly fell in love with F-Zero when I played it (started on the GBA versions), so having some more futuristic racers would be good, especially Wipeout. The music has always been astounding.

Nice article! I love the WipEout trilogy on PS1! Played all the games since too, but they never bring back that magic the PS1 games had.

Putty

Bought this a couple months ago and ended up refunding it. Handled like ass. I really hope they can turn the ship around (pun entirely intended) soon because I want more AG racing.

RedOut on the other hand is great.

Prepare to purchase again 8)

Crayon

What? A new Wipeout, or the making of Wipeout?

I mean an old copy of next generation/edge that I bought at the newstand in the 90's. It has a cover story about the original wipeout and it features several of these same images.

Tonidayo

I still do not understand why Sony hasn't at least published a PS4 version of WipEout HD..or a PS4 remaster port of WipEout 2048 ; just as they did with Tearaway and Gravity rush..

Syriel

I mean an old copy of next generation/edge that I bought at the newstand in the 90's. It has a cover story about the original wipeout and it features several of these same images.

That's because this is just Kotaku republishing that same story.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I came in here expecting to cry.

I leave with a smile on my face.

Good show, thread!

I'm crying tears of joy... remastered WO sounds wonderful. A 'best of' containing assortments of tracks (and music tracks) from the whole WO series, on PS4 with VR capability would be amazing! Bring back the Sasha songs from 3 and even better!

Top Bottom