• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what species of squadmates do you guys most want for your Andromeda team? Let's go with the stated "7 team members" as noted in the survey from a few months back. Let's say 2 are human, leaving 5 for the other races. For me it'd be:

1)Krogan - Definitely want another cheeky Krogan on my team. Wrex and Grunt were some of my favorite squadmates in the trilogy, and Drak sounds like he'll fit the bill.

2)Salarian - No one can replace Mordin but I'll take another to make up for it.

3)Asari - Loved Liara, love the Asari race in general in the universe, not just because of their overall attractiveness, but I enjoy their large cultural presence.

4)Turian - Just give me Garrus 2.0

5)Volus - Come on, admit it, it'd be hilariously fun.

I wouldn't miss a Quarian or Drell squaddie personally.

Patryn

So what species of squadmates do you guys most want for your Andromeda team? Let's go with the stated "7 team members" as noted in the survey from a few months back. Let's say 2 are human, leaving 5 for the other races. For me it'd be:

1)Krogan - Definitely want another cheeky Krogan on my team. Wrex and Grunt were some of my favorite squadmates in the trilogy, and Drak sounds like he'll fit the bill.

3)Asari - Loved Liara, love the Asari race in general in the universe, not just because of their overall attractiveness, but I enjoy their large cultural presence.

I want a goddamn Batarian. The chance for drama is off the charts.

After that, I just want a Salarian. They're all great!

Although, honestly, I'd like at least one new species.

I want a goddamn Batarian. The chance for drama is off the charts.

After that, I just want a Salarian. They're all great!

Although, honestly, I'd like at least one new species.
Having a Batarian on the team would definitely make for an interesting dynamic.

I'd like at least 2 members from new species, personally. Take the humans, and after that...

1) Krogan, specifically a krogan scientist (class: Engineer). I loved the mad scientist guy on Tuchanka in 2.

2) Turian, like you said, Garrus 2.0. In fact, make it an AI based on Garrus' personality operating a mecha-Turian.

What I'm saying here is, make it Garrus.

3) Salarian, someone who contrasts with Mordin. More... laid back.

Asari can take a blue-butted hike.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I want literally none of the ME races. Give us new, give us different. The worst thing Andromeda could be would be a reheated Mass Effect 1 with better shooty bang bang. We all fell in love with all the new and exciting stuff in Mass Effect. Why people want the same thing over and over and over again with shiner graphics confuses me. There is an infinite universe out there, we don't need to keep going to Tattoine and hanging around the Skywalkers, so to speak.

I want literally none of the ME races. Give us new, give us different. The worst thing Andromeda could be would be a reheated Mass Effect 1 with better shooty bang bang. We all fell in love with all the new and exciting stuff in Mass Effect. Why people want the same thing over and over and over again with shiner graphics confuses me. There is an infinite universe out there, we don't need to keep going to Tattoine and hanging around the Skywalkers, so to speak.
I agree. I don't want any of the old soundrack tunes back either. New races would probably mean just new takes on fictional animal-humanoids, but that's that. I think the team will know how to be creative enough even with hudson gone.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I agree. I don't want any of the old soundrack tunes back either. New races would probably mean just new takes on fictional animal-humanoids, but that's that. I think the team will know how to be creative enough even with hudson gone.

Dude. Vigil. Soundtrack of Mass Effect: Andromeda could exist of just this track and it'd still be one of the best OST's of all time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ME:A is already going to be in a different galaxy(which mean no Mass Relays, no Citadel, no characters or planets you know of), if you're not going to have any of the original races, why bother calling it Mass Effect? Because there is the N7 logo on your gear? lol
Might as well create a new space sci-fi IP at that point.

Because the established parts of the universe is the stuff I like. Makes no sense to discard everything, you might as well just call it a new series at that point.

Patryn

I want a mix. I have to agree without at least some of the established races it won't feel like Mass Effect, but I also want new stuff.

Wrex-alike
Garrus-alike

I don't need any other race they could all be NPCs.

astonish

After playing the Battlefront beta I'm 99.9% in on playing ME:A on PC. Frostbite looks so amazing now.

They better have controller support!

I want the old races. ME was my favorite series last gen in big part due to its fantastic world building. I think all the races have loads of room to fill in backstory/culture/etc.

A new race or two wouldn't hurt tho.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Because the established parts of the universe is the stuff I like. Makes no sense to discard everything, you might as well just call it a new series at that point.

I don't see it. For me, Mass Effect is more than "Krogans are this" or "Asari are that," which is literally the only thing that has to change with all new races. It was about exploring a universe, meeting new characters and engaging in a unique, game-spanning story with relationships and choices that affected all of the above.

As long as it keeps the Mass Effect aesthetic and sheen, all of those things can be done with a new set of surrounding experiences. Yes, a new story can also be told with familiar races, but it definitely reduces the amount of discovery. Think of how awesome it was to meet a Hanar or a Drell for the first time. Running into yet another Asari wouldn't be as cool as running into a Zxlathorc for the first time and learning what they're about.

Assuming they don't fall into the pit of just making the species representative an info dump for their new species, it opens up entire avenues.

Yeah, it would be neat to see how the Krogan have changed, or how the universe has reacted to the Rachni, but it's still going back to the well. Again, infinite universe, infinite possibility. If there best they can come up with is "Hey, let's check back in and see that, wow the Krogan adapted well, neato" I'll be pretty disappointed.

You "like the established" parts of Mass Effect. I do too. But I also liked it while it was still getting established. It had to start from point zero and guess what? It managed to do pretty well.

That being said, I don't fault you for wanting to revisit the familiar. It's hardly an uncommon point of view. I simply prefer all new to some new.

I don't see it. For me, Mass Effect is more than "Krogans are this" or "Asari are that," which is literally the only thing that has to change with all new races. It was about exploring a universe, meeting new characters and engaging in a unique, game-spanning story with relationships and choices that affected all of the above.

As long as it keeps the Mass Effect aesthetic and sheen, all of those things can be done with a new set of surrounding experiences. Yes, a new story can also be told with familiar races, but it definitely reduces the amount of discovery. Think of how awesome it was to meet a Hanar or a Drell for the first time. Running into yet another Asari wouldn't be as cool as running into a Zxlathorc for the first time and learning what they're about.

Assuming they don't fall into the pit of just making the species representative an info dump for their new species, it opens up entire avenues.

Yeah, it would be neat to see how the Krogan have changed, or how the universe has reacted to the Rachni, but it's still going back to the well. Again, infinite universe, infinite possibility. If there best they can come up with is "Hey, let's check back in and see that, wow the Krogan adapted well, neato" I'll be pretty disappointed.

You "like the established" parts of Mass Effect. I do too. But I also liked it while it was still getting established. It had to start from point zero and guess what? It managed to do pretty well.

That being said, I don't fault you for wanting to revisit the familiar. It's hardly an uncommon point of view. I simply prefer all new to some new.

I think you're making this more... black and white, I guess, than it has to be. You can have all the old races and still have the majority focus be on the new ones. After all, most of the baggage and all of the plotlines got left behind in the Milky Way. The Ark (presuming the current guesses regarding that are correct) presents a clear line of delineation: you have the Old Races, and Everybody Else, the latter of which is probably split into a ton of different factions and focuses.

Besides: the basic premise is pretty clearly that at least some remnants of the milky way galaxy are in Andromeda. So the "all new" ship has pretty clearly sailed.

Lucreto

I want a Tali 2.0 but with a slight twist. I always support the downtrodden in games. The Quarians in Mass Effect and the Elves in Dragon Age.

It's hard to choose really. You want your old favourite races but you also want new ones to try.

I want a Tali 2.0 but with a slight twist. I always support the downtrodden in games. The Quarians in Mass Effect and the Elves in Dragon Age.

It's hard to choose really. You want your old favourite races but you also want new ones to try.
I wanted to like the Quarians but I quickly realized they were racist(specist?) genocidal maniacs who justly deserved their exile. Still saved them through unification, though.
The Geth had absolutely no qualms about letting them come home, the Quarians were just warmongering assholes who refused to share until the very last moment when they realized their choices were to be stop being assholes or commit suicide by forcing the Geth to defend themselves yet again.

I wanted to like the Quarians but I quickly realized they were racist(specist?) genocidal maniacs who justly deserved their exile. Still saved them through unification, though.
The Geth had absolutely no qualms about letting them come home, the Quarians were just warmongering assholes who refused to share until the very last moment when they realized their choices were to be stop being assholes or commit suicide by forcing the Geth to defend themselves yet again.
and the salarians weren't?

Melchiah

The same goes for Elcor and Hanar, but dunno how they would work in combat.

and the salarians weren't?

I didn't like the Salarians either, and never sided with them in ME3.

The only Salarians I like are Mordin because of his character growth and story arc
(Because he's Mordin)
, and the janitor brothers you find in the closet with a dead body.

kosmologi

na...

that's the theme particularly that I want kept away. it was teased being included at the end of the trailer though.

Agreed. Vigil became so overused in ME3 that I hope they just leave it be. There are many iconic themes in Mass Effect that I'd rather have the reuse.

diaspora

The only Salarians I like are Mordin because of his character growth and story arc
(Because he's Mordin)
Kirrahe was cool too.

The same goes for Elcor and Hanar, but dunno how they would work in combat.

Volus would work. We've seen them, heck, we've played as them. I just want a Biotic God on my team.

An elcor could work as some kind of heavy support: mount a goddamn machine gun on his back and let 'em go to town. BioWare games have included dogs and golems as squadmates, an elcor wouldn't be too particularly different.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
N7 day turns out to be a Saturday this year, think they'll skip it as an excuse to not show anything new? :p

3 weeks left anyway.

Rtas

I just want a game entirely about Garrus, I am unbelieveably excited for andromeda but damn I just need to have a game about that utter battle tank of a Turian.

And now if you'll excuse me I'm going to listen to Garrus' victory line from the shooting contest over and over

I just want a game entirely about Garrus, I am unbelieveably excited for andromeda but damn I just need to have a game about that utter battle tank of a Turian.

And now if you'll excuse me I'm going to listen to Garrus' victory line from the shooting contest over and over

Splinter Cell: Omega, starring Archangel.

Ship it.

playstation access included the indoctrination theory in their list of fan theories they really hope are true.

https://youtu.be/PT_6cLeErjU?t=8m45s

(Because he's Mordin)
what's your beef with the quarians? what they did with the geth?

and I know mordin is a fan favorite of the commuity, but i'm not such a huge fan of him. he comes off as arrogant in my opinion. "someone else might've gotten it wrong" well as it turns out, padok wiks was able to get it just fine.
Agreed. Vigil became so overused in ME3 that I hope they just leave it be. There are many iconic themes in Mass Effect that I'd rather have the reuse.
i agree with the first part but not so much the second. if they're not having any sort of connection to the first three games, i'd rather they don't reuse any of the old tunes either. if they're going distinct, then make it its own distinct series (assuming Me4 is the start of a new trilogy)

kpzero

Neo Member
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/16/ea-has-no-interest-or-time-for-hd-remakes

"Never been in their culture" is rich coming from the publisher with the most annualized tweaked games in the history of gaming.

The thing is, every time they say this, it is always about their studios not having enough time. That is why you hire an outside company with a couple consultants from the original team. Remakes and Remasters are two completely different things and sometimes I wonder if they confuse themselves.

Yes remakes are in fact a waste of time unless you are going back a good chunk of time. 10th year anniversary remakes are a good example. Early 3d games dont age all that well.

Mass Effect Trilogy doesnt need a remake. A remaster weaving it together and fixing some of the bugs while having a smooth framerate at 1080 is good enough.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/16/ea-has-no-interest-or-time-for-hd-remakes

"Never been in their culture" is rich coming from the publisher with the most annualized tweaked games in the history of gaming.

The thing is, every time they say this, it is always about their studios not having enough time. That is why you hire an outside company with a couple consultants from the original team. Remakes and Remasters are two completely different things and sometimes I wonder if they confuse themselves.

Yes remakes are in fact a waste of time unless you are going back a good chunk of time. 10th year anniversary remakes are a good example. Early 3d games dont age all that well.

Mass Effect Trilogy doesnt need a remake. A remaster weaving it together and fixing some of the bugs while having a smooth framerate at 1080 is good enough.

Pretty sure that Ubisoft and Activision are the big names in annualizing.

Unless we're counting sports games.

Melchiah

Volus would work. We've seen them, heck, we've played as them. I just want a Biotic God on my team.

An elcor could work as some kind of heavy support: mount a goddamn machine gun on his back and let 'em go to town. BioWare games have included dogs and golems as squadmates, an elcor wouldn't be too particularly different.

Yeah, I played the butterball in the multiplayer. Fun for a while, but it didn't take me long to return to the others.

Elcor could work the way you described, and Hanar possibly as a pure adept without weapons. They could also be just crew onboard, who don't follow the player to battles. I don't see why the crew should consist of mostly humans again.

daredevil-ep8-flip-table.gif

indeed. halo 1 received a remake, which, in turn, received a remaster treatment itself for the mcc I think.

indeed. as I've always said, there is a practical reason to remastering ME because of all the technical issues that plagued the console versions (dunno about 360 but definitely Ps3) last generation.

Pretty sure that Ubisoft and Activision are the big names in annualizing.

Unless we're counting sports games.
that's probably what it is. otherwise we could throw sega into the mix.

Remasters are stupid and water is wet, sorry.

Edit: an enhanced trilogy is available on a current get platform; at this point, get the platform and play it there or too bad.
if by current gen platform you mean PC, then I guess my option is: too bad. I don't have a proper PC to play video games on, nor am I a PC gamer; not knocking PC gaming, just saying that it isn't for me.

dr_rus

if by current gen platform you mean PC, then I guess my option is: too bad. I don't have a proper PC to play video games on, nor am I a PC gamer; not knocking PC gaming, just saying that it isn't for me.

You can run ME trilogy in 1080p on Skylake integrated GPU nowadays probably which means that pretty much any laptop you buy for work and stuff should be able to deal with ME trilogy.

I must be the only one who doesn't like Garrus much.

I'm sick of turians, asari, krogan and quarians.

I'd choose volus, salarians and vorcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom