• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

It doesnt even matter considering remastering a game and updating one aren't the same thing. There's no contradiction in EAs stance on remasters.

Agreed. I think people get salty about the "creative" and "ideas" part of the statement. Though it's not like they've got a small portfolio to work with.

dr_rus

Lol the point is that people are wondering what's up with PlayStation posting about Mass Effect today

That's just some guy managing this Twitter account being optimistic at the start of the day. I don't think that it has anything to do with Mass Effect trilogy especially as the message is about "new adventures ahead". I mean a trilogy remaster would hardly be about "new adventures".

what's your beef with the quarians? what they did with the geth?

and I know mordin is a fan favorite of the commuity, but i'm not such a huge fan of him. he comes off as arrogant in my opinion. "someone else might've gotten it wrong" well as it turns out, padok wiks was able to get it just fine.

They have a society with racism and xenocide as a foundation. Not much to like there.
They are basically Neo-Nazis who were kicked off their home planet by the people they were trying to exterminate.

The Geth never wanted to hurt the Quarians, and the Quarians could have returned home peacefully at any point in history but refused to live alongside another species. In their mindset, exile for not being able to exterminate the Geth was preferable to sharing their planet.

They have a society with racism and xenocide as a foundation. Not much to like there.
They are basically Neo-Nazis who were kicked off their home planet by the people they were trying to exterminate.

The Geth never wanted to hurt the Quarians, and the Quarians could have returned home peacefully at any point in history but refused to live alongside another species. In their mindset, exile for not being able to exterminate the Geth was preferable to sharing their planet.
That's only because Bioware woobified the Geth hard in ME3, while in ME1-2, it seemed like the reason the Quarians tried to kill the Geth was to avoid the Council crushing them for violating the AI ban.

Really the Geth side of the story didn't exist until ME2, and I definitely appreciated fleshing them out. I got the impression from ME2 that the Geth had been proactive at securing their independence by force, their relative benevolence in the present was a function of them being safe/secure.

I did get the feeling that BioWare went too far with making the Geth so wonderful and peaceful. Somebody fighting only in self-defense doesn't build hundreds of 12-foot tall laser blasting, rocket firing death machines and chase an entire civilization off of their planet. Do they?

I did get the feeling that BioWare went too far with making the Geth so wonderful and peaceful. Somebody fighting only in self-defense doesn't build hundreds of 12-foot tall laser blasting, rocket firing death machines and chase an entire civilization off of their planet. Do they?

They do if the alternative is extinction and realize the only way to keep from having to completely destroy their enemy is to create something that will make them think twice about assaulting again.

That's still an assumption, though. I feel like the Quarians should be a little more horrified of the Geth if whatever they did was enough to push an entire species off of their planet, but their attitude is more "Those jerks, we want our planet back" than fear. The Geth are pretty clearly prepared for war at all times, and the idea of a society that exists in perpetual preparation of defending against genocide probably wouldn't be as peaceful as Legion makes the Geth out to be. But at any rate, it's good that they added some nuance to the Geth rather than having them be vicious killing machines, since that would only justify ME3's bullshit.

The Geth are pretty clearly prepared for war at all times, and the idea of a society that exists in perpetual preparation of defending against genocide probably wouldn't be as peaceful as Legion makes the Geth out to be.
I don't know, that feels like a pretty big leap to make in logic. Being prepared to defend yourself doesn't mean you're automatically more inclined to violence.

I don't know, that feels like a pretty big leap to make in logic. Being prepared to defend yourself doesn't mean you're automatically more inclined to violence.

I suppose Geth wouldn't have any power-mongering types to take advantage of the perpetual state of readiness for war or attempting to disguise mass accruing of weapons as "self-defense measures" in the way crummy organics would. Building Geth Primes would just be pragmatic rather than an indication of aggression.

I suppose Geth wouldn't have any power-mongering types to take advantage of the perpetual state of readiness for war or attempting to disguise mass accruing of weapons as "self-defense measures" in the way crummy organics would. Building Geth Primes would just be pragmatic rather than an indication of aggression.
That's a good way to look at it.

Ralemont

not me

Yeah, but they shot down any ships that even came close to their area of space, even diplomatic ones. Everyone should keep in mind that Legion is a liar as he admits in the Rannoch arc. Even when he doesn't outright lie, he's going to manipulate the truth to make the geth look good. If you want to see another side of geth, play through the Rannoch arc with Legion dead or sold so you get the geth VI.

WHats the big deal?

ugly picture if you ask me.
I think it is a cool looking picture.

the geth aren't people.

Yeah, but they shot down any ships that even came close to their area of space, even diplomatic ones. Everyone should keep in mind that Legion is a liar as he admits in the Rannoch arc. Even when he doesn't outright lie, he's going to manipulate the truth to make the geth look good. If you want to see another side of geth, play through the Rannoch arc with Legion dead or sold so you get the geth VI.

Geth shouldn't be capable of lying. Though maybe Legion said that and it seems capable of lying, in which case that would probably be a lie.There are definitely some parts of the ME1 spooky scary robo-boogeymen Geth that haven't been or can't be convincingly reconciled with most of what Legion says.

Of course who cares about any of that when we can just abandon all of the lore for a new setting entirely!

Geth shouldn't be capable of lying. Though maybe Legion said that and it seems capable of lying, in which case that would probably be a lie.There are definitely some parts of the ME1 spooky scary robo-boogeymen Geth that haven't been or can't be convincingly reconciled with most of what Legion says.

Of course who cares about any of that when we can just abandon all of the lore for a new setting entirely!
if they're capable of anger, why not deception?

Bioware put up their post for N7 day:

Ready your omni-tool, throw on your N7 gear, and get ready for a trip to the Citadel, because N7 Day is just through the next Mass Relay. This Saturday, November 7th, we’re celebrating the Mass Effect Trilogy with a marathon Extra Life livestream, giveaways, and awesome deals on Mass Effect merch. And while we won’t have any major announcements for Mass Effect: Andromeda this N7 Day, keep an eye out on Saturday for some surprises that we’re sure you’ll enjoy.

Here’s what we’ve got on deck for N7 Day:

Share What N7 Means to You: Without question, Mass Effect inspires pride and passion within our community and we want you to share that passion with us. What is your favorite Mass Effect memory? Got a cozy N7 hoodie to show off? Have an all-time favorite quote from the series you’d like to share? Did you cosplay as Shepard at the latest con? Whatever it is, we encourage you to share what N7 means to you by using #N7Day on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. We’ll be retweeting some fan posts throughout Saturday, so get creative!
Extra Life Marathon Stream: This year we’ll be hosting a marathon livestream to help raise money for Extra Life. Join us as we play through the entirety of the Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC, and let us know in the chat what choices you want us to make. With lots of great prizes to be won and a chance to chat with our devs, you don’t want to miss out! Tune in here starting at 9am PST on Saturday.

Can’t watch the stream? No problem. You can still donate to our Extra Life team. We’re matching every dollar donated, up to our goal of $10,000, making your donation go even further.
Show Off Your N7 Pride: We’ve created custom N7 banners and profile pictures to update your Facebook and Twitter.
•Facebook: Cover photo / profile picture
•Twitter: Cover photo / profile picture

Giveaways: Keep an eye on the BioWare and Mass Effect Twitter accounts, because we’ll be giving away some Spectre-approved swag.

Store Promos and Sales: Now is the time to stock up for your next mission, because the BioWare store will have some limited-time promotions on N7 gear and a week-long N7 Day Celebration Sale.

N7 Day at the Studio: The celebration won’t be limited to what happens online. We’ll be posting some photos throughout the day to show fans how we’re celebrating in the studios.

We look forward to sharing #N7Day with you on November 7th.

I thought last years N7 was lackluster and uneventful. I'm not expecting much from this year. My wish would be a remaster trilogy, but I'm not expecting any news in this regard. If ME:A comes out, and EA/Bioware hasn't released a remaster trilogy I'll be baffled. I don't understand what their thought process in this regard is.

Source: http://blog.bioware.com/2015/11/02/n7-day-is-almost-here/?sf42134047=1

Patryn

That's clearly a "deflate your expectations" post.

Guessing we'll get an announcement of a new book or comic series at best.

Lucreto

I really want it to be a Trilogy Remaster but I have more or less given up on it.

Anyway I got my order in for the Mass Effect Loot Crate.

I just want an actually decent way to get the series with all DLC.

I haven't played Shadow Broker or Citadel.

If you have XBOX 360, there's a deal on XBOX marketplace, all ME 2 DLC 50% off.

Mass Effect 2 Genesis – £1.34 (50% off)
Mass Effect 2 Arrival – £2.34 (50% off)
Mass Effect 2 Kasumi – Stolen Memory – £2.34 (50% off)
Mass Effect 2 Overlord – £2.34 (50% off)
Mass Effect 2 Lair of the Shadow Broker – £3.37 (50% off)
Mass Effect 3 Citadel (1 of 2) – £4.99 (50% off)
Mass Effect 3: Citadel (2 of 2) (Is Free On The Store)
Mass Effect 3 Omega – £4.99 (50% off)
Mass Effect 3 Leviathan – £3.37 (50% off)
Mass Effect 3 From Ashes – £3.37 (50% off)

diaspora

Maybe a comic book series like a "Road to Andromeda" or something that details a bridge between leaving council space and going to Andromeda.
Probably some concept art at best.

astonish

I never got around to playing all the ME3 DLC (my save game got corrupted after finishing the base game + from ashes).

Do you think there will be a good N7 day sale or is this 50% off all I'm going to get? I plan to do another play-through of the game, partly just to see all the DLC I missed.

Patryn

I never got around to playing all the ME3 DLC (my save game got corrupted after finishing the base game + from ashes).

Do you think there will be a good N7 day sale or is this 50% off all I'm going to get? I plan to do another play-through of the game, partly just to see all the DLC I missed.

If you're talking on XBox, this is probably as good as it's going to get before Christmas.

I know last Christmas there was a sale, so there may be another one this year, but I doubt there will be a sale for N7 day.

astonish

If you're talking on XBox, this is probably as good as it's going to get before Christmas.

I know last Christmas there was a sale, so there may be another one this year, but I doubt there will be a sale for N7 day.

hmmm I was talking Xbox, but I notice it is a gold member's only sale and I don't have gold ATM... bummer. Wait it out I guess. I got from ashes and looking at my account I already bought leviathan (but couldn't play it).

I suppose I can play Omega/Citadel after I finish the base game and if I put that much time into it I suppose full price DLC won't kill me.

Does anybody know if the Mass Effect 2 and 3 DLC has ever gone below 50% off? I am thinking about playing through the series next year but I am wondering if I should hold off and wait to see if the DLC will drop any further during the holidays.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does anybody know if the Mass Effect 2 and 3 DLC has ever gone below 50% off? I am thinking about playing through the series next year but I am wondering if I should hold off and wait to see if the DLC will drop any further during the holidays.
If you're dead set on playing it, then 50%off is as good a deal as any.

However it's impossible for anyone to say with any certainty if it will get cheaper, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I will say that with BC on Xbox One launching next week, it's possible that the entire series will be BC and could see some sort of sale on DLC.

Something else to consider is that people who bought Borderlands got all the DLC for free on Xbox One.

Choices. Choices. Choices.

diaspora

Having pushed through ME2, it's interesting to see it touch on almost a Lovecraft type of unknowable sci-fi and horror with the derelict Reaper with the video logs (much better handled than Sovereign in ME1) and the prematurely aging stars. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the series brought back a type of sci-fi horror back.

Having pushed through ME2, it's interesting to see it touch on almost a Lovecraft type of unknowable sci-fi and horror with the derelict Reaper with the video logs (much better handled than Sovereign in ME1) and the prematurely aging stars. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the series brought back a type of sci-fi horror back.

I get the feeling we'll have some of that in MEA thanks to the Remnants, but it'll never be a major part of the series, with good reason IMO. Horror is a pretty restrictive genre.

diaspora

I get the feeling we'll have some of that in MEA thanks to the Remnants, but it'll never be a major part of the series, with good reason IMO. Horror is a pretty restrictive genre.

Oh, I agree. I don't mean for it to be at the fore of the new games, but having it appear would be nice. The derelict reaper was some Event Horizon type shit.

Bloomers

Maybe this was discussed way earlier, back when the trailer for ME Andromeda first came out, but did anyone else notice that the shadowy figures near the end of the trailer have Prothean shaped silohouettes? The tech that rises out of the ground looks a lot like prothean design too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom