• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Master System box art - or what were Sega thinking?

cormack12

Gold Member
So it was around the time of the 7800 and the NES right. As an example of box arts from these boxes

EE6DR0VWkAATc38.jpg:large

58e9113fe3a45_Choplifter!(USA).jpg.a88a48503674d75a25f765e01314e086.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Then we have the master system doing its own thing. What the fuck happened?

sms-prowrestling-1.jpg

alex_kidd_miracle_box_us.jpg

3e750b4bc5468b540de13bb7fcd67fa1.jpg

Fkl_QqqWQAEzHrN.jpg:large

OutRun-SMS-US-Rerelease-medium.jpg

omegasc

I guess Atari era games relied a lot more on the art to jumpstart your imagination. 8 bit graphics were good enough to do that via screenshots on the back.

Holammer

The graph paper look is iconic and later boxes (as shown from other posts) combined good art and the then established trade dress.
But in retrospect this is 100% a localization issue. Just look at the Japanese Mark III boxes. Heck, Americans even localized Bri'ish box art and replaced them with horrible art. Like Epyx's American release of Barbarian as "Death Sword".

dragonwangboxes_1955.jpg

SG1000 - Mark 3 - Master System boxes shown Source

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Unifying the look so it stands out, even now if you see a box with that pattern you know it's from that Master System era, the fact that you remember it for good or bad reasons show it worked.
Oh yeah, I remember when Master System just dominated the NES thanks to its iconic box art.

You could love the Master System box art or hate it, but the one thing you couldn’t do was ignore it.

Saber

Gold Member
I will not tolerate this offense against the glorious Master-system.

Anyway yeah, some are way too lazy for its time. But its not like all of them were that way. I remember even some edited versions, like Monica games(which are basically Wonderboy games), having an enterilly draw box art.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean... people didn't know how to market video games back then. Most companies in the US considered games to be toys at the time, and the box art for Master System games was arguably a lot more fitting for targeting that audience.

Shin-Ra

Nerds like maths
Nerds like games

Math(s) is cool – nerds are cool.

N-GAGE boxes look the best though. I bet SCEA were PISSED NOKIA beat them to the red and black strip design. You can just imagine it with the SPIDER-MAN and redesigned PS3 logos.

zOo3keY.png

Even the silver matches the original PS3 design.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I mean... people didn't know how to market video games back then. Most companies in the US considered games to be toys at the time, and the box art for Master System games was arguably a lot more fitting for targeting that audience.
? How is ugly minimalist design more appropriate for toys? Atari 2600 had much more attractive box art.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What a hilarious idea for a thread OP!

Yeah, Master System’s box are was beyond bad. Especially coming from a time when box art was often the selling point!

marquimvfs

Looking back, it may look stupid. But at the time the designers were edgy. It's just a combination of game elements inside a virtual reality white room
(like this
training-stage.jpg
), not relying on deceiving arts to sell a game. Compared to the competitors, the were bringing virtual reality to your home, and the arts were trying to reflect that.

Oh sweet nostalgia! Still arguably the most visually distinct box art design, SEGA were ahead of game (heh heh) in so many different ways throughout the years.

Ozzie666

Cheaper to get drawings from the employees kids.

I think the uniformity was good but the later generation box art was much better.

Mr.Phoenix

Hahaha sega... we sure have come a long way. Next time someone complains about bad box art... we should put up one of these sega ones.

Last edited:

Trunx81

So many great box arts and no one mentioned Phalanx for SNES yet.

It was a simpler time back then, OP. Personally I found the NES art worse, especially since Mario was about to die on the Super Mario Bros. picture.

cireza

The console is awesome and I am currently developing a game for it. Thought I would share a few screens.

Capture.png

Capture.png

Capture.png

Capture.png

Capture2.png

Nothing planned yet about publishing/selling it (I do have a Game Gear game planned for this year though). I am purely sharing this to show people that there is an active development scene for SEGA's 8 bits consoles, including tools that help achieving good results, even if it is not as elaborated as the MegaDrive scene. Still these tools are awesome and a lot of thing originate for smspower website, if you are interested.

Last edited:

Mahnmut

So it was around the time of the 7800 and the NES right. As an example of box arts from these boxes

EE6DR0VWkAATc38.jpg:large

58e9113fe3a45_Choplifter!(USA).jpg.a88a48503674d75a25f765e01314e086.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Then we have the master system doing its own thing. What the fuck happened?

sms-prowrestling-1.jpg

alex_kidd_miracle_box_us.jpg

3e750b4bc5468b540de13bb7fcd67fa1.jpg

Fkl_QqqWQAEzHrN.jpg:large

OutRun-SMS-US-Rerelease-medium.jpg
I know it looks weird but I just love it... It reminds me this undescribable joy from 80's video games that younger generation will sadly never know. Absolutely not an "old man yelling at cloud" answer.

Rudius

Cover art changed during NES and SMS as they are Japanese systems so they'll go cute and colourful.

Before that, the Atari and Intellivision days you got stuff like this, which was the hand drawn painted look like in movie posters.

2366934-intv_advanceddungeonsanddragons2.jpg
220px-Football_Intellivision_cover.jpg

atari-2600-missile-command-cart-only.jpg
220px-Cover_of_Home_Run.jpg
Those are absolutely magnificent. I often imagine how those games would look with PS5 level graphics in an alternative time-line, like in Blade Runner's Atari.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Those are absolutely magnificent. I often imagine how those games would look with PS5 level graphics in an alternative time-line, like in Blade Runner's Atari.
The awesome thing about those old school Intellivision covers is they often did a montage of circle art and what you saw drawn is what was in the game.

Everything in these covers is 100% in the game except in L n C, there's only 4 enemy cops, not 7. Even the key and crown prizes are in the game.

220px-Sea_Battle_cover.jpg
220px-Utopia_%28video_game%29_boxart.jpg
220px-Lock_N_Chase_cover.jpg
220px-Star_Strike_cover.jpg

Imagic covers were cool too in a different way. One part cheese, but one part fun. So different than the Atari and Intellivision styles.

d24e9eeb5a01294f0cc7feae2e13ceb2.jpg
CcKlH5AW0AEek7U.jpg
3909497-tropical-trouble-intellivision-front-cover.jpg
1769035-beauty_and_the_beast_01_front_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom