• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Message" - GAFMaster Flash and the Furious Forum tackle the XBOX PR issue

What current-generation gaming solution do you own?

Results are only viewable after voting.
For those of you who mentioned the cost/value of Xbox LIVE versus PSN - would a subscription price cut suffice? The idea of paying for two console subscription services is a troublesome one for many people including myself. What do you think?

I think making Xbox live what PS+ was for the PS3 (not a requirement but nice to have because of the games) would really help their case. It would help also to justify the purchase of a second (or third) console that you won't use as much as your primary.

I own the XB1 and I already have confidence in their new direction but there are still things they need to make clear.

They need to show some amazing cloud physics demo sooner than later on XB1 hardware. I did not think they were bullshitting as much as overstating the advantage of the cloud. A solid demo from the cloudgine guys would be a solid. They shouldn't have talked about this stuff until they could show it.

They supposedly have 2 unannounced studios working on Xbox One titles but more game announcements is always nice.

I have no reason and am not likely to have any reason to use the camera functionality of the Xbox One Kinect. Release a microphone array so that people with unbundled XB1s can cheaply afford to use the awesome voice features. Its really great.

Bring Cortana integration to XB1 along with things like reminders and alarms. I want to send messages with my voice. "Cortana send message to _____".

This is starting to become just a wish list.

As far as getting back respect I really think using the cloud to truly do things that wouldn't be possible on the local hardware due to power restraints would show how serious they were about this Gen. They shouldn't have flapped their gums about it and had kept relatively quiet and surprised us but here we are a year after release and countless mentions of the cloud with nothing to show for it. I just want them to clear that up.

Man

I own a laptop but not a gaming PC (I have a 780 ti 'VR' PC at work though).

Voted PS4.
I might buy a new PC once Oculus Rift consumer version is out.

Bought every console at launch for the last fifteen years but Microsoft and Nintendo both showed up drunk this round and now their hardware decisions are set in stone. Maybe next time.

I personally want to see them allow their first party studios more autonomy and creative control. Right now they have a studio that was created for the sole purpose of continuing Halo, a new studio that got an IP cancelled to continue Gears, a Fable team, two Forza teams, and the studio that made Lococycle. Let these studios loose to make something new and exciting that will be associated only with the Xbox brand and doesn't feel like it was cynically decided on in a board room. They have a lot of talent that they're wasting and will eventually lose if they don't branch out.

This to me is the crux of it. It doesn't matter if their hardware isn't quite as good or whatever policies they may have announced and rescinded in the past. Cynical is the perfect word to describe their first party efforts and often their efforts feel like they are chasing the competition instead of breaking new ground. Rather than trying to make good games, they just try not to make bad ones. Setting up a couple new studios with new blood based on their ideas rather than their resumes might do wonders for their first party. There are a lot of independent developers out there who could be doing some mind blowing stuff if given decent budgets, some infrastructure and left to their own creative devices.

A week ago I was up in the air between PS4 and Xbox One. I went with the PS4 because it had the better third party multiplats and more indie games. So from that angle, I don't see the Xbox One needing a purchase until well after the generation.

Frankly I think the larger AAA industry is dangerously close to falling into a "low quantity, high quality" mindset, which isn't conducive for the medium. But by the finish of the generation I see the indie devs filling in everything but the highest of the high end. Activision will pump in their $500 million into Destiny and COD, and everything else is supplied by the smaller houses.

So what will decide success in this generation? The best platform for the juggernauts, but also the easiest publishing platform that can possibly be made for the rise of the bigger indies, whatever moniker the industry makes for them. Microsoft thought that Xbox Live Arcade needed to be curated in the 360 days, which was wrong. It should be like Steam - minimally managed, full of everything.

Microsoft's problem here is that the PS4 is the better multiplat console, and Steamboxes might become the bigger indie target before the Xbox. Microsoft needs to create a self-publishing platform and become the default before anyone else does. Open up the hardware more than ever. There's not a lot of opportunity for this so they need to do it soon and aggressively.

baekshi

Banned
Why I don't own one:

- lack of japanese games
- price
- online sub isn't attractive
- lack of variety in exclusive

Xbox needs an handheld.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I honestly think that they're on the right track with their investment of certain exclusives.

My only concern is that they may not have learned the WHY behind the initial backlash. Some assurances on that front would go a long way. Gamers don't trust them because it feels like they're just waiting for the right moment to take away our consumer rights. They need to show a more consumer-centric approach to their PR, emphasizing that they want to give us the best value and the most options.

And they need to drop the cloud bullshit. Either explicitly show a working title that takes full advantage of the cloud, or just shut up already.

At the end of the day, I'll probably pick up both an XBone and PS4, but I'm ultimately waiting for either a system seller title announcement or a sale.

Omakone

Neo Member
I think it would help a lot for them to unequivocally repudiate their earlier stance on locking disc-based games to an account, without constantly lapsing into defensive "the time just wasn't right" justifications. The fact that they did eventually back away from that scheme was a step forward, but the execs seem too eager to remind everyone that they'd go back to it given half a chance.

This points to the biggest issue with MS right now. They have a reputation of doing things regardless of the desires of the consumer. Then eventually they relent and do a 180 (look at XBOX ONE and Windows 8).

I for one do not trust MS to not do another 180 and implement all of their ideas from the first announcement once they have a large enough install base. In addition, I think that if the roles were reversed and the XBOX ONE was outselling the PS4 2:1, they would already be reimplementing the early policies.

As of this writing, there is nothing that MS could do to get me to purchase a XBOX ONE. The main reason is that I have a PS4 and can get over 90% of the XBOX ONE games on PS4. It appears that there are going to be very few true exclusives this generation, so I don't see a need to spend $400.00 or the equivalent of over 6 AAA games on a separate console. In addition, we do not have cable in my house, we use an over the air antenna, Netflix, and purchase shows we really want on iTunes. This makes the other functionality of the XBOX ONE worthless for me.

SerTapTap

I think making Xbox live what PS+ was for the PS3 (not a requirement but nice to have because of the games) would really help their case. It would help also to justify the purchase of a second (or third) console that you won't use as much as your primary.

I personally found PS+ a better sell when it wasn't a multiplayer lock too. According to Sony's PS+ sub rates post-PS4, the average consumer does not appear to agree however.

At this point, how many people do you think see the 180 debacle as an issue? Do people still hold that against the company?

When they're still going with the "the consumer didn't understand" nonsense, yes it is still an issue. They need to offer an apology and close that book once and for all (and never mention it again)

Honestly, anyone asking for a price cut for any system at this point in the generation is misguided, IMO. People would pay $500 for a tablet with 16gigs of memory, of course they'll pay for gaming/multimedia console that has (about) half a terabyte of memory for $400.

Edit: I'll never understand why so many people constantly ask for a price cut that's so steep, it wouldn't normally happen until 3-5 years into the console's lifespan.

I don't think we're asking for another pricecut, we're stating what our perceived value in a the console is. Right now, to me, $400 is too much. It's weaker than the console I paid $400 for and has less compelling exclusives (to me). I'm just not going to buy it at that price.

The question isn't "Should a price cut be feasible?" The question is "What would get you to buy one?"

Famassu

For me, there's very little they can do. I've given them a chance twice and neither time I've been happy with their offerings outside of a very small number of titles. Not only that, but MS is the console manufacturer I trust the least. Not that Sony or Nintendo are perfect, but they are more in line with my preferences in gaming and Nintendo has kept me more or less happy ever since NES and I have yet to be disappointed in a Playstation, despite PS3's rough start and shortcomings. Kamiya's next game almost makes me think of getting one, but I already got 360 mostly for a 60fps Bayonetta and while I loved Bayonetta, buying 360 still felt like a bit of a mistake. I've seen nothing of One that would make me think Xbone would be any different.

Tain

I bought an Xbox One because I expect it to have exclusives that I'll want to play, like every major console ever. Dead Rising 3, the game that made me pick up the console early, wound up getting a PC port, but I'm doubting the same will happen with Phantom Dust, Scalebound, D4, and Raiden V.

I honestly don't know what MS can do when it comes to courting those that have to decide between the PS4 and Xbox One. It's a weaker console. It will probably have less great exclusives in the long run, even if it looks to have a better library in the short term. A lot of people don't approach hardware or like the same games I do, so while I'm thrilled at the exclusives MS has lined up (again, Phantom Dust and Scalebound above all else), I can't expect those games to grab a big crowd. Halo and Gears might, but those still feel a long way off.

If MS can make a platform well-suited for smaller Japanese projects (like they did with the 360), I'd be ecstatic. I thought this would be impossible, but then the STG announcements started cropping up. Exciting!

Anth1888

For those of you who mentioned the cost/value of Xbox LIVE versus PSN - would a subscription price cut suffice? The idea of paying for two console subscription services is a troublesome one for many people including myself. What do you think?

Yes, this is a stumbling block in having both systems but here in the UK a supplier called CDKeys offer 12 month XBL half the price of the RRP which helps. Although I wish Sony would utilise PS+ with their other services such as a Netflix style Video Service that is cost-effective from SPT (Breaking Bad seasons) or movies from SPE. You would feel that you are getting more value for money as well as the IGC. I couldn't justify paying £~80 on just multiplayer nowadays its all about the ecosystem.

Amir0x

Banned
I've said before there were several conditions that Microsoft needed to change before I went on board. Due to the DRM debacle and many other intentionally deceitful practices in the lead up to its release, I had already decided the following had to happen for me to buy-in:

• No Kinect with my system
• $299.99
• Stop lying about your system power
• End ID@Xbox Parity Clause
• Refocus for gamers
• Apps like Netflix, etc behind paywall

Previously, they had already decided not to go ahead with DRM/check ins and the rest of their abominable schemes, so that was the first thing that had to go.

For me, it all matters. One of the problems I still have with Microsoft is that they haven't actually changed their attitude quite frequently we still see them trying to muddy the waters or mislead. To me, this is part of what needs to change for me to feel comfortable trusting them with my money again. Sony had to change to before I was willing to buy in, and I didn't end up getting a PS3 until it was $299.99.

Honestly, I already have an XB1 and MS is already doing what they can by focusing on their big titles and constant improvement of the system based on user feedback. Sure, loosening up the indie clause and such will help but there is a stigma associated with the reveal that a lot of people can't seem to let go of even though MS reversed that course. I don't really know what people want MS to do at this point, send Bill Gates to their house so he can get on his knees to profusely apologize?

You can see the cynicism in XB1 threads where cheap potshots are taken constantly. It's going to be a long road and MS just has to keep focusing on putting out the games. Eventually people will let go of their biases and realize that "hey, this system actually has some good games and they aren't some evil corporation bent on shoving DRM or whatever down my throat." PS3 had a hard road ahead of it after its reveal but Sony persevered and broke through, MS just has to stay the course and keep fighting for mind-share.

Card Boy

Banned
I only said 2 of the above because i have a gaming pc, which i think skews the poll. Otherwise i would of said just PS4.

Furyous

The internal hardware isn't going to change. Xbox is not going out of business. Let's not go down that road.

Instead let's have a real discussion about how to turn around the public perception of the XBOX ONE. I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who have committed to sitting things out until the end of the generation when it comes to Microsoft's console. Don't just throw out a one-liner like "$199 and 10 free games" - provide a couple of sentences explaining your position.

* Is it an outright apology that you're looking for?
* Acknowledgement that their first take wasn't just something that we weren't ready for, but actually did not want?
* Additional exclusive partnerships similar to Tomb Raider?
* More money committed to 1st party development?
* Significant price cuts?
* Specific genre development?
* Removal of the indie parity clause?

If you're already an owner, what do you think will help bring gamers around? Again, pithy one-liners won't fly here. If you want your console to succeed, throw some ideas out there and let's see what sticks.

Everything's on the table for discussion. Consider it a safe haven - heavily moderated - to get issues off your collective bosoms and maybe provide some fresh ideas.

I'm a PS4 owner and it will take a lot for Microsoft to get my money but I'm open to bribery in the form of stuff I want. I'd need a significant price cut ($250), more first party development, and an overall explanation of the long-term vision for the console. I'm quickly tiring of the traditional DUDEBRO GOW/COD/HALO games and need something in form of a commitment from Microsoft to bring new experiences to the console. In addition to that, I need support from Microsoft that ties into their vast ecosystem.

Why in the word isn't there a basic Word app for the Xbox One? Add cloud services integration as well. All Xbox One users should receive an extra 2 GB of Skydrive cloud storage. This doesn't impact most gamers but it's the thought that counts. As a gamer, I'd love to see a strong Microsoft first party that competes with Sony and Nintendo. Last gen saw Sony compete with Microsoft's big guns (exclusives and partnerships) using their first party. IMHO, there's no excuse for a company that spent $500 mill on a partnership not to have strong first party.

My rationale is one that many markets are facing. How can they increase customer perceived value? If this console lasts eight years then they need to give me a reason to keep using it in addition to games. They could turn their Windows store with movies into a full fledged competitor to Apple/Sony. This competitor should be available to all users to maximize customer value. I believe that Microsoft backed themselves into a corner with their strategy and need to change it in order to convince me to buy their console. Think outside the box, for once.

Gaz_RB

They need to get their first party studios together. This money hatting third parties is just going to generate ill will.

Messi

Great games and services are what is going to turn gamers around. Buying exclusive rights to games that were set to release on another console is not going to gain you any favour. Make great games and the people will come.

All that deal has managed to do is hurt playstation gamers who enjoy Tomb Raider. If I didnt own an X1 it wouldn't inspire me to go out and buy one, it would push me further away.

Einhander

Pretty sure people were calling the PS3 a failure after the first year and that came back strong.

PS3 also didn't have a PR disaster before their console launched. Big difference between Xbox One and PS3. Xbox One has a much larger hurdle to overcome.

I wouldn't say strong. They did OK after their first year, but I wouldn't give the PS3 too much praise. To me, it coasted throughout its lifecycle.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm not sure how many honest answers you'd get bishop.

I've seen plenty if posts from members who will just "never trust Microsoft" regardless.

I mean, the OS gets better almost by the week. We know there's great OS based stuff coming down the line. It still has good games with more coming, they've changed policies for the better and they're doing their darnedest to get more and more games on it.

Hell, they're even throwing a DTV tuner at it like the PS3.

If all that can't convince someone only an unrealistic price cut could. Having said that, the Kinectless model should have been priced $50 under the PS4 (In the US).

I think they need to work more in new ips and giving their current studios more freedom just compare them in last gen how much Sony first parties had gorgeus games compared to MS first parties studios doing the same old games.

Stop being greedy with the consumer, makes more offers, more discounts in old games, last gen was really bad for latinamerican market with no real incentives to buy old games even in deal of the week.

Ajust your prices, I am getting taxes for digital games as I am buying the game in a retail store. $99 dll for a digital game is just nuts let me buy it at its official price which is $59, that was a big no for me and jumped to PS4 where I can buy the games at their original price.

le.phat

The thing that bothers me the most about supporting the XB1 is that, despite the turn around they've made to many policies, none of it actually feels genuine. Yes, these are companies after all and they want to make money, but there could be a marketing class on the stark difference between how Sony and MS have attempted to build good will. After the whole TR debacle yesterday, it's clear that nothing has changed. They intentionally attempted to deceive consumers, and they yet again got called out for it.

It's like they don't realize that consumers have smartened up. They thought we were dumb when they revealed the console, they thought we were dumb when they obfuscated the DRM plans, they thought we were dumb when they back peddled on the DRM plans (you just weren't ready for it).

I have nothing against MS as a company. I will end up getting a XB1 sometime down the road (probably when it hits $300). But feeble attempts at convincing me that the XB1 is the only place I'll get to play certain 3rd party games isn't going to work. In fact, it does quite the opposite to my position. Parity clauses that shoehorn small developer into working on one console or the other isn't going to work either. It also does quite the opposite.

I want this market to thrive and succeed, and as it stands right now I really believe we are in the best position to do that with Sony at the helm. The sheer number of new unique announcements yesterday blew me away, especially considering Gamescom is not really known for having many new announcements. I believe this generation could have the biggest variety of content ever, and it will come from everywhere under the sun (FTP/indie/1st party/3rd party/etc).

I guess what I'm saying is, I want MS to CONTRIBUTE to the market instead of merely trying to control it. I want them to take risks with new IP's. I want them to cut the bullshit with smaller developers. I want them to add value to their subscription service instead of just trying to match up with the competition. I want them to treat the consumer with the respect they deserve. It's our money and it's our market, not theirs. You don't control the voice of the people, and any attempt to do so will be met with contempt. So fucking quit it with the bullshit and start being honest.

i posted my own wall of text in this thread, but yours is nailing my issues so well. Well done!

Moofers

I've already said they'll get me when Gears comes out as long as it has everything Gears 3 had, but better.

It's really just down to the games and the price for me otherwise. If it drops another $100 it'll be that much easier to convince my wife that we need a 5th console. We currently have 360, PS3, PS4, and Wii U. And a Vita. It's tough to make the argument I need to spend another $400 on just a system and the. Take on ANOTHER subscription service.

And exclusive 3rd party stuff won't win me any faster. I will still buy 3rd party stuff on PS4. What they need are the Fables, Halos, and Gears games to make me really excited. They already have most of that coming so that's great. And Killer Instinct is hot for me too, just been waiting since it's currently the only game I'd really have to have.

At this point, how many people do you think see the 180 debacle as an issue? Do people still hold that against the company?

At the very core of buying a video game console (or an ecosystem like Steam) is trust. Some people put more stock in trust than others.

I trust Sony and Microsoft about the same, but I can see why others wouldn't. I definitely didn't put much stock in Microsoft's competency a year ago.

Hawk269

First of all, thanks to everyone so far for keeping the responses (mostly) on the level requested. Cheers. I've added a poll to get a better idea how ownership breaks down - it's not limited to thread respondents, but so be it.

I am not sure that reducing the cost for Live would make people buy a Xbox One, perhaps if they said it was FREE, but we all know that will not happen. MS proved that having a subscription service is beneficial and profitable, why else would Sony follow suit and now charge for PSN? Perhaps Live being $10.00 cheaper would just ease some things, but in the end if people are going to have both consoles, there is going to be some form of fee to have both On-line and I don't think in the end that is what really is holding people back from buying a Xbox One.

The lowest cost of entry to owning both is $800.00, not sure 2 yearly subscriptions comes into play if they are already willing to shell out $800.00 for both consoles?

alterno69

Banned
I said a yer ago the Xbox brand was all but dead to me, MS was out of their mind with that reveal. I bought a PS4 on launch day and i've been a happy owner since.

Earlier this year i found a good deal on an Xbox One and had a little extra cash so i said fuck it and bought one for my 8 year old son. Now that i've actually tried the thing, i really don't know where MS stands in this "battle". They have a decent system but there's many thing i don't like about it and the fact that it's weaker performance wise than a PS4 is even worse.

Kinect as we all now is nothing but a paperweight at this point, no support. The OS has some nice features but at the end of the day, it takes too many steps to achieve the simplest tasks, voice commands are useless for me.

It all comes down to the games and i could easily live without every major Xbox franchise, unless they come up with some new fresh ideas i don't see myself dedicating a lot of my time to gaming on it.

jay

Last gen they decided it was worth releasing a console they knew was broken, this gen they are upset consumers were so loud about their used game stance. Their goals have never been to make money by making good games (like a Sega or Nintendo), and I think their behavior reflects that. On the games side, they have few exclusives and most of those are shoot people in the face games, which I rarely play.

I'd like to say they can go fuck themselves, but even I have my price. A Shenmue or something similarly unlikely but hugely pined for would make me an owner.

As to how to fix the brand? I don't think it's possible to in my eyes because the goal of the brand is at odds with what I want from a platform holder.

The thing that bothers me the most about supporting the XB1 is that, despite the turn around they've made to many policies, none of it actually feels genuine. Yes, these are companies after all and they want to make money, but there could be a marketing class on the stark difference between how Sony and MS have attempted to build good will. After the whole TR debacle yesterday, it's clear that nothing has changed. They intentionally attempted to deceive consumers, and they yet again got called out for it.

It's like they don't realize that consumers have smartened up. They thought we were dumb when they revealed the console, they thought we were dumb when they obfuscated the DRM plans, they thought we were dumb when they back peddled on the DRM plans (you just weren't ready for it).

I have nothing against MS as a company. I will end up getting a XB1 sometime down the road (probably when it hits $300). But feeble attempts at convincing me that the XB1 is the only place I'll get to play certain 3rd party games isn't going to work. In fact, it does quite the opposite to my position. Parity clauses that shoehorn small developer into working on one console or the other isn't going to work either. It also does quite the opposite.

I want this market to thrive and succeed, and as it stands right now I really believe we are in the best position to do that with Sony at the helm. The sheer number of new unique announcements yesterday blew me away, especially considering Gamescom is not really known for having many new announcements. I believe this generation could have the biggest variety of content ever, and it will come from everywhere under the sun (FTP/indie/1st party/3rd party/etc).

I guess what I'm saying is, I want MS to CONTRIBUTE to the market instead of merely trying to control it. I want them to take risks with new IP's. I want them to cut the bullshit with smaller developers. I want them to add value to their subscription service instead of just trying to match up with the competition. I want them to treat the consumer with the respect they deserve. It's our money and it's our market, not theirs. You don't control the voice of the people, and any attempt to do so will be met with contempt. So fucking quit it with the bullshit and start being honest.

Welp. Nailed it.

Xamdou

Your right that internal hardware isn’t going to change and to me who own both the X1 and PS4 it is a bigger letdown than the PR disaster of last year’s E3.

Not really looking for an apology, since they have done a whole lot to remedy the situation by increasing the cpu speeds, releasing a kinectless hardware at a cheaper price and focusing entirely on games as well as their XBL updates.

* Acknowledgement that their first take wasn't just something that we weren't ready for, but actually did not want?

Would have liked to see acknowledgement at least, but I thought they did so already?

Definately, would like to see more partnerships with Itagaki, Sakaguchi and Cliff Blezinski since their games help define the 360 generation with Ninja Gaiden, Lost Odyssey and Gears of War series.

Ori has been a pleasant surprise and would like to see more games like this. They also need to ramp up more RPG 1st party games. Glad no more of that Kinect game BS. Also bring back Rare to make Perfect Dark 2!

Don't really care about price cuts now since I bought a launch console at $499, then they release a Kinectless version at $100 cheaper price which is terrible for early adopters. Going forward yes significant price cuts to increase marketshare so that developers having more gamers buying their games.

Like I said earlier, a whole lot more RPG which is severely lacking this gen. I want Gears Of War 4 so more third person shooters also and Perfect Dark 2!

Not sure what this is about.

Portugeezer

I personally found PS+ a better sell when it wasn't a multiplayer lock too. According to Sony's PS+ sub rates post-PS4, the average consumer does not appear to agree however.

People get PS+ because they want to play multiplayer on PS4, so I don't get what you mean by them not agreeing; it could be that they agree but the circumstances are different.

Multiplayer on Xbox Live and PSN (except for F2P/MMO's on PSN) will remain locked, it's what gets the most people to sub.

It's gotta be with first party games... These deals like the tomb raider deal don't do anything for people on the fence because everyone knows that will be out on other consoles in 6 months and with so many great games released nowadays pretty much no one will have a problem waiting.

They need to come with some new AAA mind blowing IPs that they own. I can see that this is what they are trying to do with things like Quantem Break. That rumoured project eden would have been just the right thing to buck this perception.

This is why it was disappointing to hear about black tusk being given gears of war.

Also I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but don't release games on PC, it gives less incentive to owning an XB1 for people on the fence.

Xbox One is a great console, but it is fighting a perception battle. One where they only buy timed content, milk existing content, and that they don't foster and create there own unique content. They need to turn that around and the best thing to do that is to come out with some big new Good IPs, and bring back some old classics (which they are doing). It seems like they are making an effort to do the latter with revival of KI, PD, and CD and the Halo MCC but they need to find the next Gears, or Halo something new to help carry the xbox brand.

That's a terrible idea. No offense.

spencman

Banned
Current Xbox One owner:

Most people argueing about the Xbox don't really own one. So at first, I would suggest, people should make their own opinions while using (for quite some time) the Xbox one, instead of adding more and more opinions using just the internet.
Second is: I think the approach of the Xbox One was pretty good. I'm interested in technology, interested in using and trying new things. The Xbox One is a pretty good toy for this.
Games is not everything for me, so I'm curious, whats about to come for the Xbox technology.
At all, I really don't understand, why so much people in the internet are against new or different ways of this approach. Sometimes they remember me of my grandma, who didn't like that type of "new music" I'm hearing.

But that's just my opinion.

AlexisBrennt

Neo Member
As I already own a PS4 and a WiiU it's hard to motivate me to get a XBox One. I think the only way this will happen is with a price drop to around 250€ (does not need to be right now) and a collection of at least 5 real exclusives that are innovative or speak to me in any kind (so no generic shooters, racers, sports or kinect games).

synce

Before MS unbundled Kinect I could see myself buying the bone if it ever dropped to around $250 and had some unique games for it. But now it's essentially a PS4 without any of Sony's first party stuff. I never liked MS first party games except for Halo, so they need to step it up.

Quantum Break had potential but I lost interest once they mentioned live actors and something about TV show format, and at the end of the day it's another cover shooter which they already had with Gears. MS also needs some cuter games. Where's their Tearaway or Little Big Planet? If they even have one they're doing a terrible job of advertising it.

I have an XB1, and I'm concerned that I'm going to get the not-premium versions of games as the gen goes on. I have a PC also, so I can play stuff on there too, but sometimes it's not possible because some games don't have the proper version on PC (i.e. something like FIFA being on last gen engine on PC, or Ubisoft's totally shittastic ports for Ass Creed games).

I considered getting a PS4 too, but haven't because the exclusives don't impress my particular tastes. The only thing that would get me to switch would be another Uncharted game -- but even then I'm not sure anymore. I got a PS3 last gen for uncharted and Blu-ray and am not sure if I even used it that much.

After a traumatically bad start to the Xbox One (as a former massive Xbox fanboy I was completely shocked at the treatment Microsoft gave to the original Xbox in its wanning years, then the 360... then the hilariously stupid reveal conference and laughable DRM requirements for the XOne), Microsoft has made a lot of good decisions and ones I wished for:

1. Get rid of the always on/drm nonsense
2. Make kinect optional (though this took much longer than it should have)
3. Start focusing on games

The only issues I have with the Xbox now is direct price in comparison to the PS4 and lack of exclusive IP. And by 'exclusive IP' I do NOT mean they should go out and pay companies to not release games on other consoles, thereby making the game exclusive... I mean building new and interesting games. They did a LOT during the early years of 360 and so far have been very mediocre for the XOne.

So New IP I suppose is my biggest gripe, that and price. It really should be more like $350.

FiggyCal

Banned

It absolutely is to me. It shows really poor planning on their part. Like they had no vision for the product they were selling. And clearly this company had some very bad plans for its consumers -- so it's really difficult to look past that. That's not to say I wouldn't buy one, but that I'd have to wait and see what they're offering.

I still think that if they had offered an Xbox One sans diskdrive and for ~300 or so dollars, people would've cheered. It would've been genuinely revolutionary for a console. But instead they just went on to make a PS4.

First let me say it from the beginning. I'm an Xbox fan, I'm not fanboy, I can recognize the shortcomings of both the system and the company. That being say I'm very passionate about it, since I enjoy the system a lot. The 360 that is, I'm not going to get an Xbox One yet but before I tell why, here's my thoughts on the whole debacle

I actually like Microsoft direction before the 180's. They had a bold idea, they wanted to make the Xbox 360 a media device beyond just games and change the way to watch TV, getting rid of CD's, Kinect on every box. It was something quite revolutionary. The problem is that they asked too much for some people and the technology is not there yet. Kinect can't replace controllers yet, is best use as an enhancer but even then (as someone that owns one) the moment it fails you reach for the controller.

That Xbox One that everyone hated (justifiable so in most cases) was nothing more than an idea, it never make it to the market. The 180 was before the control was out, Microsoft kick out Matrick (the Xbox One was his baby, his creation), Balmer leaves, and the company is focusing on great first party exclusives and the best software experience and they are killing it in that regard.

The Xbox One is a legit contender this generation, and a great console that will only get better. I think it gets too much hate, not just on GAF but everywhere. Microsoft has most the blame on that but they also went out of their way to fix it and have being problem to actually walk the walk.

I'm not getting one because I'm too happy with my 360, after the E3 update. I get a lot of free content like series seasons and the occasional movie. It's also surprisingly still getting AAA ports. First console to come out, last one to get AAA game. I'm in no hurry.

They need to just quit talking, period, and forge a robust, diverse, first-party studio system that makes new, exciting, innovative titles that challenge the imagination and delight customers.

This isn't something that can be done quickly. It probably comes too late to save the XBone too. But if they commit NOW, the seeds they sow will bring about a much better future for the brand than anything else they can do.

This isn't the easy road. This isn't a patch. This is going to be hard. It's also going to require smart leadership that can identify great, talented people with great ideas who will greenlight the right things from the right people and avoid wasting time and money on bad ideas and charlatans.

Steel

Banned
To me, it's a matter of time healing all wounds here. The PR missteps of the past will gradually fade away if they stop shooting themselves in the foot and talk about the games. They've more or less done that, although the Tomb Raider timed exclusivity deal is distasteful enough to count as a misstep(Personally I just find it pointless and wasteful).

Edit:

This will literally never happen. Hell, there's almost no chance of PS+ itself going back to how it was on PS3/Vita.

R3TRODYCE

I have an Xbox One among other consoles and like it but I would like if MS invested more in their first party studios so they don't have to rely on third party games, timed exclusives, and the usual first party blockbuster games towards the end of the gen like on the 360.

I also think that they should price it cheaper than the ps4 to make it more appealing to people that have to choose between the two and don't have a preference for either platform holders first party games.

theWB27

Why don't I own one? Money is the only reason.

I was on board their initial reveal. It didn't bother me because I knew there was another console that was the antithesis of what they were going for.

On the whole, they have changed every single fear that was accompanied with the reveal. The only thing they can't fix is power.

I am, admittedly, partial to Xbox. But, ended up with a PS4 because of the price. No regrets.

I would like them to allow their devs more freedom to choose their products. With the money they have..I do feel they should have more projects in the works. Unless they do and just haven't revealed them.

Buying exclusivity is par for the course, and I like that they help other studios in development.

My favorite racing franchise is Forza, always loved Halo. Gears was the ish last gen. Can't wait to finally get one.

gngf123

Okay, so here's the thing.

The policies that Microsoft had in mind around the launch were absolutely terrible anti-consumer rubbish. Those policies are gone, which is great. The X1 we have now is actually pretty decent in all truth. However, that reveal was not the first time Microsoft have tried to do something that people didn't want. They have been doing it for years, at the very least since the reveal of GFWL way back in 2007. People who hate GFWL now really should go back and see the complete nightmare their original idea was.

After they finally figured out how bad their ideas were, their message was still very clear - "Gamers weren't ready". I want them to prove that they have actually learnt from their mistakes this time. I want them to show that they realize their ideas were not "the future we weren't ready for" but "the future nobody wants". That's my biggest problem, and I am yet to see that proof. That really decreases my willingness to support them.

On the flip side, I need to give them some credit for making a series of very good decisions of late. Well done to them on that. Almost every decision since Phil Spencer has taken over has been a good one, and they have a few games that look like they could interest me. Could do with some more, but that's a general problem with the industry and me right now and not an MS one.

Also, plus points for MKV support.

Yes. Other companies did it, why shouldn't they?
Yes.
No. This is crap.
Yes. More new things like what Halo and Gears were, but from first parties. Outright buying a developer is fine with me, but just some games is not (my opinion).
Nah, not worried about the price TBH. But if they could go cheaper, sure.
RPGs, but more good story-based games in general would be fine with me.
Yes, absolutely.

Still, Microsoft did a lot of things in the past that I didn't like (GFWL, 180 fiasco). Even with all that I've said in this post, I would still have restrains with them. Like that trust is a glass thing, once broken, never fully repaired.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
At this point, I honestly don't see any realistic way for Microsoft to convince me to buy an Xbox One in the next 1-3 years. I'll probably get one near the end of the generation when the dust has settled.

Here are the three main things making me uninterested in buying their console. They're all interrelated:

1. Microsoft's Xbox business unit seems untrustworthy, incompetent, scummy, and overly reliant on brute financial force. They can promise lots of things, but based on past behaviour I trust neither their intentions nor their capability. I don't really care about apologies, acknowledgements, or a revamp of their messaging; I wouldn't be convinced of their sincerity anyways. There's clearly massive institutional dysfunction at play (or maybe some inscrutable behind-the-scenes brilliant strategy that doesn't align with my interests).

2. Considering the PS4/PC are the clear choices for multiplatform stuff, can I count on Microsoft to invest a lot into worthwhile exclusives for the long term, even if the console drastically underperforms and is crushed by Sony? Are those exclusives going to be the type of game I'm interested in? Are those exclusives actually going to be exclusive, or just timed? The problem is that--because of the trust issue--I can't really believe much that Microsoft says about these.

Contrast this with Nintendo. I haven't bought a Wii U yet, but I plan to, because I can trust that the console is going to have a sufficient number of exclusives that interest me. Heck, even if no new games were announced, it probably still would.

3. There are more great games competing for my time than ever. They are cheaper than ever. Even if MS does everything I want in point #1, I'm not going to care as much as I would have a few years ago. They don't just have to secure great exclusives (and convince me that they're going to do so for the next 5 years or whatever), but they have to do that to a greater degree than ever before. It just seems mindbogglingly unlikely at this point.

So, shorter version: I need a sufficient amount of high-quality, exclusive stuff to convince me to buy an Xbox. I don't trust Microsoft to deliver that--not only because it would be hard for any company to deliver that (given the glut of amazing, cheap games competing for my attention)--but because Microsoft seems dickish and liable to try and get away with underdelivering.

Top Bottom