• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talked about this before but would be cool to put some genre recommendations in the OP.

I know every so often people show up and are like, "I want more metal like Maiden/Opeth/etc. etc." Would be cool to collect some of those answers we've give.

Genre primers would be cool too.

I'd be glad to work up some Spotify playlists based on these lists if we do wind up doing something like this.

Could compile a list of recommended artists for the most basic of the genre's variations--no need to dive into the Icelandic Folk Speed Math Metalcore's right away after all.

Yes, yessss, I'm liking this a lot.

First off, may I have the honor of dibbing the Blind Guardian write-up? Excellent! When I think of the overall composition of GAF (in a general sense, of course), I think of intelligence, a critical eye, and a health dose of nerdy interests. Blind Guardian would probably have a ton of overlap with fans on GAF if more people were exposed to them.

I'm... not sure why I felt compelled to even type that paragraph up, because it shows my extreme bias towards the band more than anything else, but I do think they should be in the OP :p

Other good "accessible" bands that are pretty universally loved around here and should be in the OP:

Maiden
Sabbath
Priest
Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Candlemass
Ghost
The Devil's Blood
Mastodon
Manilla Road
Mercyful Fate
Pagan Altar
Dio
Satan
Virgin Steele
Witchfinder General

Of course, we shouldn't leave out some of the more extreme bands. We should just have a disclaimer stating that these may be more of an acquired taste that some newcomers to the genre may not fully appreciate if its their first foray into metal:

Bolt Thrower
Burzum
Carcass
Bathory
God Flesh
High on Fire
Kreator
Cirith Ungol
Moonsorrow
Primordial
Septic Flesh
Skeletonwitch
Vektor
Vio-Lence
Windir

These are just some thoughts to get us started!

Hate 'em or love 'em we need Metallica in there. I'll gladly write up their paragraph.

Also, Manowar. Because Manowar.

And King Diamond because I don't think there is a better lyricist in metal.

And yes, DIO is a MUST.

Also:

Motorhead

And for the extreme stuff:

Behemoth.

And maybe even some "newer" metal? Bands like Warbringer who have popped up within the last 10 years.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
new Cynic is full streaming
http://pitchfork.com/advance/341-kindly-bent-to-free-us/
KindlyBentToFreeUs.jpg

Someone wrote 'cynic' on a katatonia record.

Hate 'em or love 'em we need Metallica in there. I'll gladly write up their paragraph.

Also, Manowar. Because Manowar.

And King Diamond because I don't think there is a better lyricist in metal.

And yes, DIO is a MUST.

Also:

Motorhead

And for the extreme stuff:

Behemoth.

And maybe even some "newer" metal? Bands like Warbringer who have popped up within the last 10 years.
Can't believe I forgot to list Manowar and King Diamond! Yes, both are essential.

Yeah, I only left Metallica off the list to not rock the boat, but Ride The Lightning is one of my top ten favorite metal albums of all time.

I'm only familiar with Ace of Spades by Motorhead. How sad is that? I look forward to being introduced to them by whoever writes their entry :p

I don't know Warbringer or Behemoth, but I just grabbed the new Behemoth album a couple days ago and am about to spin it for the first time later today. Regardless, I'm sure both belong on the list!

Yes, yessss, I'm liking this a lot.

First off, may I have the honor of dibbing the Blind Guardian write-up? Excellent! When I think of the overall composition of GAF (in a general sense, of course), I think of intelligence, a critical eye, and a health dose of nerdy interests. Blind Guardian would probably have a ton of overlap with fans on GAF if more people were exposed to them.

I'm... not sure why I felt compelled to even type that paragraph up, because it shows my extreme bias towards the band more than anything else, but I do think they should be in the OP :p

Other good "accessible" bands that are pretty universally loved around here and should be in the OP:

Maiden
Sabbath
Priest
Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Candlemass
Ghost
The Devil's Blood
Mastodon
Manilla Road
Mercyful Fate
Pagan Altar
Dio
Satan
Virgin Steele
Witchfinder General

Of course, we shouldn't leave out some of the more extreme bands. We should just have a disclaimer stating that these may be more of an acquired taste that some newcomers to the genre may not fully appreciate if its their first foray into metal:

Bolt Thrower
Burzum
Carcass
Bathory
God Flesh
High on Fire
Kreator
Cirith Ungol
Moonsorrow
Primordial
Septic Flesh
Skeletonwitch
Vektor
Vio-Lence
Windir

These are just some thoughts to get us started!

Blind Guardian is pretty great (in European power metal no other vocalist really sounds like Hansi Kursch).

...but no love for Helloween? For me, they were kind of my gateway into the metal that isn't very big in the US, but is really huge in Europe.

Can't believe I forgot to list Manowar and King Diamond! Yes, both are essential.

Yeah, I only left Metallica off the list to not rock the boat, but Ride The Lightning is one of my top ten favorite metal albums of all time.

I'm only familiar with Ace of Spades by Motorhead. How sad is that? I look forward to being introduced to them by whoever writes their entry :p

I don't know Warbringer or Behemoth, but I just grabbed the new Behemoth album a couple days ago and am about to spin it for the first time later today. Regardless, I'm sure both belong on the list!

Warbringer only has 4 albums, but if you want their best check out Worlds Torn Asunder then Empires Collapse.The best thrash thats been released in a while IMHO

Edit:

If needed, I'd love to write-up Metallica, King Diamond, and Manowar.

Blind Guardian is pretty great (in European power metal no other vocalist really sounds like Hansi Kursch).

...but no love for Helloween? For me, they were kind of my gateway into the metal that isn't very big in the US, but is really huge in Europe.
Helloween is great. My list was by no means meant to be comprehensive! There are far too many quality metal bands that I forgot to throw out there.

Warbringer only has 4 albums, but if you want their best check out Worlds Torn Asunder then Empires Collapse.The best thrash thats been released in a while IMHO

Edit:

If needed, I'd love to write-up Metallica, King Diamond, and Manowar.
Excellent, I'll start with Worlds Torn Asunder then. Thanks for the recommendations my friend!

So, just to make this more organized, let's do an unofficial sign-up sheet.

Metal Thread 2 Contributors
HammerOfThor - Metallica, King Diamond, Manowar
MetalGuardian - Blind Guardian

If multiple people want to cover the same band, we can always do collaborative write-ups as well.

Vio-Lence

Banned
what kind of metal list doesn't have fucking SLAYER?

and other notable exclusions:
Death, Dismember, Entombed, Megadeth, Sepultura, Testament

jmdajr

Wow the new Behemoth album, Satanist, is fuckin ungodly awesome!! Its already in my AOTY list thus far. Almost no fuckin filler...like a track and a half but overall one of the best albums released this year to date. I highly recommend you guys buy the album. Its worth it.

I don't know what I expected but this is pretty cool. Very diverse.

what kind of metal list doesn't have fucking SLAYER?

and other notable exclusions:
Death, Dismember, Entombed, Megadeth, Sepultura, Testament

Yes.

Theres way too many varieties in metal to cover, but I think the top level basics are:
• Heavy Metal
• Thrash Metal
• Doom Metal
• Black Metal
• Death Metal

Then there are little details that are part of the genetic makeup of metal, but might get too out of hand:
• Album Artists (Repka, Seagrave, Necrolord, etc)
• Record Labels (Metal Blade, Earache, Roadrunner, DSP)
• Recording Studios (Morrisound, Sunlight)
• Geographic differences (Bay Area vs. Germany, Stockholm vs. Gothenburg, Finland vs. Sweden)

Ravager61

I haven't been too much into what Behemoth has been doing on their last 3 or 4 releases but this new one seems pretty great so far. Easily the best thing they have done in a while.

Blackheim

Good stuff. More consistent than The Animal Spirits. Slough Feg generally release good-great albums (outside of Ape Uprising!, don't like anything on that one)

Topic shenanigans again?

Sweet cheese:
... Hard As Iron, Sharp As Steel
... Pillage And Plunder, Curse Those Who Enter
... Fire Is My Fuel, Steel And Iron Rule

Runnin' with some dumb:
... What? Like Metallica And Nickleback?
... Kid, Neanderthal, and Satanist Approved
... It All Sounds The Same, Guys

Blackheim

You Can't Even Understand The Singing

Oh yeah, that one too usually followed by:

It's All Just Screaming And Yelling

Something for new thread maybe. Highlight Metal bands with GAFers such as Melchiah (Black Dawn, ex-Enochian Crescent...), TyrantGuardian (Immaculate (SWE)) and any others.

MetalGuardian - Blind Guardian, High Spirits
Godofnerdiness - Morbid Angel

Actually, MetalGuardian, what happened to Metal Santa?

I enjoyed reading your material.
Hah, that makes one person :p I spent so much time stressing about the layout and design of the site (which was very basic even when I got it to where I wanted it to be, because the tools on SquareSpace are limited and I have zero graphic design skills so I couldn't implement cool artwork or a logo), that by the time I got around to actually writing stuff the quality of my work suffered. I was also struggling with a heavy school workload at the time and relationship issues as well, which didn't help. By the time I finally got the site up and running, took a couple days of a breather, and then returned to see what I had created I.. was borderline embarrassed. My writing was far from meeting the standards I had set for myself, maybe because I created my whole theme of making it "santa" related in a vacuum (I wanted it to be marketable, dammit!), and basing the entire design around that idea was shaky at best. I ran out of steam quickly from that point because I had poured so much effort into something I wasn't even proud of, and I let it die a quiet and dignified death from there. I had some good ideas in place, I just didn't execute on them the way I should have.

Anyway, I still appreciate the kind words my friend.

Yes.

Theres way too many varieties in metal to cover, but I think the top level basics are:
• Heavy Metal
• Thrash Metal
• Doom Metal
• Black Metal
• Death Metal

Then there are little details that are part of the genetic makeup of metal, but might get too out of hand:
• Album Artists (Repka, Seagrave, Necrolord, etc)
• Record Labels (Metal Blade, Earache, Roadrunner, DSP)
• Recording Studios (Morrisound, Sunlight)
• Geographic differences (Bay Area vs. Germany, Stockholm vs. Gothenburg, Finland vs. Sweden)

Oh man. Yes. YES. This is ambitious. To hell with just going into metal band recommendations, let's cover obscure aspects of the community at large as well. I love it :D I hope we're up to the task of compiling all this shit, because this could be one of the best threads on GAF if we really go all out.

Something for new thread maybe. Highlight Metal bands with GAFers such as Melchiah (Black Dawn, ex-Enochian Crescent...), TyrantGuardian (Immaculate (SWE)) and any others.

Also yes

EDIT: Updated list of bands to be covered in OT2
Accessible bands:

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Blind Guardian
Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Candlemass
Ghost
High Spirits
The Devil's Blood
Mastodon
Manilla Road
Mercyful Fate
Pagan Altar
Dio
Satan
Virgin Steele
Witchfinder General
Manowar
King Diamond
Motorhead
Metallica
Slayer
Testament
Megadeth
Helloween

Bands for people to check out once they are deeper down the rabbit hole:

Morbid Angel
Death
Dismember
Entombed
Sepultura
Bolt Thrower
Burzum
Carcass
Bathory
God Flesh
High on Fire
Kreator
Cirith Ungol
Moonsorrow
Primordial
Septic Flesh
Skeletonwitch
Vektor
Vio-Lence
Windir
Behemoth
Warbringer

Additions and cuts are obviously open for discussion!

And I'm more than willing to take on more than Blind Guardian for an entry, I'll just wait and see what is left once other people take their first picks. I'm sure lots of people are more qualified to discuss Iron Maiden, for example, because as much as I love them I've only been listening to them consistently for three years now.

We should have an "in memoriam" section.

First few people that come to mind:

Ronnie James Dio
Cliff Burton
Jeff Hanneman
Chuck Schuldiner

I believe we are on track to create the best OT in the history of OTs.

MetalGuardian - Blind Guardian, High Spirits
Godofnerdiness - Morbid Angel

Also yes

EDIT: Updated list of bands to be covered in OT2
Accessible bands:

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Blind Guardian
Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Candlemass
Ghost
High Spirits
The Devil's Blood
Mastodon
Manilla Road
Mercyful Fate
Pagan Altar
Dio
Satan
Virgin Steele
Witchfinder General
Manowar
King Diamond
Motorhead
Metallica
Slayer
Testament
Megadeth
Helloween

Bands for people to check out once they are deeper down the rabbit hole:

Morbid Angel
Death
Dismember
Entombed
Sepultura
Bolt Thrower
Burzum
Carcass
Bathory
God Flesh
High on Fire
Kreator
Cirith Ungol
Moonsorrow
Primordial
Septic Flesh
Skeletonwitch
Vektor
Vio-Lence
Windir
Behemoth
Warbringer

Additions and cuts are obviously open for discussion!

And I'm more than willing to take on more than Blind Guardian for an entry, I'll just wait and see what is left once other people take their first picks. I'm sure lots of people are more qualified to discuss Iron Maiden, for example, because as much as I love them I've only been listening to them consistently for three years now.

What is the character limit per post? We should try to limit band summaries to x-ish number of words, obviously some of the more diverse/older bands will have more to right about. Actually, the way around the text limit is pretty pictures, right? Well, we'll come up with something.

Hah, that makes one person :p I spent so much time stressing about the layout and design of the site (which was very basic even when I got it to where I wanted it to be, because the tools on SquareSpace are limited and I have zero graphic design skills so I couldn't implement cool artwork or a logo), that by the time I got around to actually writing stuff the quality of my work suffered. I was also struggling with a heavy school workload at the time and relationship issues as well, which didn't help. By the time I finally got the site up and running, took a couple days of a breather, and then returned to see what I had created I.. was borderline embarrassed. My writing was far from meeting the standards I had set for myself, maybe because I created my whole theme of making it "santa" related in a vacuum (I wanted it to be marketable, dammit!), and basing the entire design around that idea was shaky at best. I ran out of steam quickly from that point because I had poured so much effort into something I wasn't even proud of, and I let it die a quiet and dignified death from there. I had some good ideas in place, I just didn't execute on them the way I should have.

Anyway, I still appreciate the kind words my friend.

Yeah, I've been in both of the situations before, I know how hard it is to stay focused on something your passionate about in hard times.

Well if you decide start blogging again, lemme know.

RDreamer

I'm really adoring the new Cynic quite a bit. I'm stilly slightly disappointed mostly because Carbon Based Anatomy was that fucking good. Still, this is pretty awesome. I just wish they got some of the more atmospheric stuff in there too. The song transitions are kind of odd compared to how well CBA flowed.

Greg

I'm really adoring the new Cynic quite a bit. I'm stilly slightly disappointed mostly because Carbon Based Anatomy was that fucking good. Still, this is pretty awesome. I just wish they got some of the more atmospheric stuff in there too. The song transitions are kind of odd compared to how well CBA flowed.
I enjoy it, but Traced in Air is still my favorite.

I think it could use some trimming though... 4 of the songs run about a minute too long, and Endlessly Bountiful could've been replaced with the bonus track and been better off. Holy Fallout is so good (even though it's one of the 4 songs that run long, in my opinion) and then that last track is just kind of there.

For a new OT, I'd suggest to name at least the 'biggest' genres, with a short writeup of the origins, how it sounds in general and how it evolved (different subgenres for example). End it with a list of band + album for recommendations, with both classics and some newer stuff and also metioning important albums for the subgenres.

As for the title, i'd like a slightly silly one, with ÖT2 :)

Manu

Not sure how many of you are into the prog metal scene, but Wayne Gardner from Magellan commited suicide. His brother Trent posted a statement on their website. Apparently he had been battling brain tumors but couldn't take it anymore. Really sad news.

FYC

Banned
Oh, someone should write about Suffocation. They rule.

Not sure how many of you are into the prog metal scene, but Wayne Gardner from Magellan commited suicide. His brother Trent posted a statement on their website. Apparently he had been battling brain tumors but couldn't take it anymore. Really sad news.

Fuck, that's awful. RIP.

SOME-MIST

Hannes Grossman - The Radial Covenant released and it's pretty gnarly tech death. Grossmann was/is the drummer for Obscura, Necrophagist, and Blotted Science, and this was originally a crowdfunded project.

http://hannesgrossmann.bandcamp.com/album/the-radial-covenant

a1884807404_9.jpg

edit: guest work was done on this album by
Jeff Loomis (nevermore, conquering dystopia)
Per Nilsson (scar symmetry)
Christian Muenzner (obscura, spawn of possession)
Fountainhead
Danny Tunker (aborted, god dethroned)
Ron Jarzombek (watch tower, spastic ink, blotted science)
Jimmy Pitts
Morean (dark fortress, noneuclid)
V. Santura (triptykon, dark fortress)
Linus Klausenitzer (obscura, noneuclid)

Guys, in addition to coming up with a treasure trove of excellent subtitle names for the new thread, we should also probably, ya know, figure out what the content of the first post(s) will be :p

I think it should be a collaborative effort, since we have so many varied tastes in here. Maybe anyone that is interested could write up certain snippets about bands they are passionate about, so that the first post will contain a snapshot of the overall interests of the community? It would probably be helpful for newcomers as well.
!

Sounds like a good idea. If the following bands are considered 'important' enough to include I am pretty passionate and clued up on their work and would be more than happy to write some content about them:

Bathory
Morbid Angel
Paradise Lost
Entombed
Immortal

(They are my top 5 artists on Last FM too)

FYC

Banned
MANTAR - White Nights

Sludge Metal, album is out on the 25th in the UK and early March for the US.

Sounds like a good idea. If the following bands are considered 'important' enough to include I am pretty passionate and clued up on their work and would be more than happy to write some content about them:

Bathory
Morbid Angel
Paradise Lost
Entombed
Immortal

(They are my top 5 artists on Last FM too)

If you cover Morbid Angel, I'll take Suffocation.

Watevaman

so I'd never really listened to Behemoth before but all this talk about the new album made me go to youtube and check some stuff out. can't stop listening to Ora Pro Nobis from the new album. those horns, man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom