• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

...And I loved everything up to and including Twilight, but thought the last couple of albums sucked. Surtur Rising had two good tracks, but Deceiver of the Gods didn't have one song that did it for me. I'll be glad if I like anything on this year's effort.

Tunin

Yeah, been digging this album. I get the comparisons with Deafheaven but I think WoD still does their own thing. Been around longer too if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, I just mentioned because it was the first that came to mind when I first heard the album, but after a few times listening to it the difference between them is quite big.
I feel like I'm gonna dig this album a lot, great melodies all around, too bad it is quite short.

choodi

Banned
Amon Amarth always sounded like paint-by-numbers metal to me. Same as Soilwork.

Complete lack of soul and inspiration.

Ravager61

So I saw the current release list for Record Store Day today

● Bathory - Blood Fire Death (picture disc LP)

● Bathory - Hammerheart (picture disc LP)

● Bathory - Bathory (picture disc LP)

● Bathory - The Return of Darkness (picture disc LP)

● Bathory - Under the Sign of Black (picture disc LP)

● Bathory - Twilight of the Gods (picture disc LP)

My wallet will not survive

Nopren

Oh man, Soilwork. If they are paint-by-numbers metal, then they are the fucking Rembrandt (of painting-by-numbers). They will probably never top Natural Born Chaos, but goddammit if The Living Infinite isn't close.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Since I'll be in Toronto this week-end, I'll probably go see this tomorrow. :) Venue's pretty close to my hotel, too.
7792_10153831493670201_1533575038_n.jpg

Ravager61

What is Record Store Day and how much is BFD here?

http://www.recordstoreday.com/

Record Store Day is a day in April where labels put out a bunch of exclusive releases specifically made to only be sold on that day in independent record stores around the world. A lot of stores will also have bands play or some kind of festivities going on during the day too.

Not sure what the prices for these picture discs will be. Probably not cheap though.

RDreamer

Bought this cool metal artwork book today:
aIzcaKl.jpg

It's pretty awesome.

Also picked up the new Alcest and Cynic. Love 'em both.

I know that feeling. GA is often overlooked since we only have two cities worth hitting and you can easily route a tour around us.

Seems like most bands hit Chicago and somewhere in Minnesota. So the route goes right fucking through the state, too!

RDreamer

Dat Baroness/Kvelertak artwork. So good.

And you reminded me I need to listen to the new Alcest.

Baroness artist is fucking awesome. Love that guy's stuff so much.

And yeah, I love the new Alcest. I think a lot of people are down on it for being lighter, but I think it's got a really nice sound to it. It got me away from the new cynic for a bit anyway.

TnK

Can Rainbow Rising be considered metal, specifically Stargazer?

Another question, why is Amon Amarth considered not that good of a melodic death metal band?

fallout

Another question, why is Amon Amarth considered not that good of a melodic death metal band?
They do the same, boring, semi-catchy thing every album. They're also just generally shitty. I fucking love them and think they're great, but I have a terrible opinion of metal bands.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can Rainbow Rising be considered metal, specifically Stargazer?
It's borderline between hard rock and metal, but I wouldn't object to anyone calling it metal. Even more so with Long Live Rock and Roll (Kill the King and Gates of Babylon are metal as fuck).

Because they suck?

Sorry for being flippant, but I don't really know how else to answer that. xD Amon Amarth has always bored the shit out of me.

I like Amon Amarth. They have a good blend of aggressive, melodic and epic. And I have great taste. ;)

I tend to think that their popularity is what bores some people.

It's true that they can be a bit repetitive when you hear a couple of albums in a row, but you can't tell me that you didn't break your fucking necks the first time you heard Death in Fire or The Pursuit of Vikings.

Except that Arsghoslent are nowhere as flowery as what "melodic death metal" suggests. They are fucking awesome though, regardless of their viewpoints. A band that can fucking write riffs.

Indeed. Sacriphyx is a good recent band too in the Arghoslent style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWviWkXQNaY

I've been looking for a while of a band that has some similar writing style as Arghoslent besides Grand Belial's Key, but that doesn't really count. This is not that bad. Sounds like demo-era Arghoslent. Even the singer sounds similar.

TnK

So much Amon Amarth hate, lol. Not really surprised, for all the death vocals they have, they are the most tame stuff out there along with Iron Maiden. I actually like the band, and enjoy the music, even if it does lack solos.

What is a good melodic metal band then, other than Dark Tranquility? Also, other stuff like Painkiller, Testament's latest stuff (Formation of Damnation+Dark Roots of the Earth).

Kinda searching for good recommendations. Genres that I like, almost anything with the exception of Black Metal. If it is really good, I will listen to it. Bonus points for excellent melody/aggressiveness and exceptional vocals.

It's borderline between hard rock and metal, but I wouldn't object to anyone calling it metal. Even more so with Long Live Rock and Roll (Kill the King and Gates of Babylon are metal as fuck).

That makes sense. Borderline between Hard Rock and Metal. Still one of the best songs I have ever listened to though. What is the best work of Dio, since we are discussing him now.

What is a good melodic metal band then, other than Dark Tranquility? Also, other stuff like Painkiller, Testament's latest stuff (Formation of Damnation+Dark Roots of the Earth).

Well the poster children of that style would be:
In Flames
Arch Enemy
Soilwork
At The Gates
Carcass' "Heartwork" to an extent
Children of Bodom

who likes Arckanum?

http://youtu.be/C_n9emaJ3KU?t=23m10s

that fuckin Nakjeptir riff, soo good

I've only heard Antikosmos and really only liked the song Svarti :p
Haven't heard much else, but am looking for something in that vein of Svarti.

Ravager61

I like Amon Amarth. Their sound is catchy and their live show is good. Their albums are too similar for their own good though and there are wayyyy too many of them. I can take or leave the whole viking thing too. I don't think it adds a ton to their music. But overall, I have no problem with them.

I feel similarly to Children of Bodom. Written some good tunes with lots of filler and repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom