• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized, no one recommended Primal Fear for the (Melodic) Speed Metal recommendations. Shocking!

Primal Fear is the truth. everything from the debut to Black Sun is top tier heavy metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYc_w5q00-4

MEEEETAAAAAL EEEEEAGLEEEES
FLYING SIDE BY SIDEEEEEEEEEE
SILVER HEEEEEEEEROES
HEAR OUR CRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES

@Morrigan

i think it's tape only. there's a copy online floating around, if ya know what i mean.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why did I ignore Intestine Baalism for so long? I think I assumed they were some shitty br00tal DM based on the name, but this is solid Dismember worship.

i think it's tape only. there's a copy online floating around, if ya know what i mean.
That's a shame. But they have most of their songs on their youtube channel so I can at least listen on the computer.

Why did I ignore Intestine Baalism for so long? I think I assumed they were some shitty br00tal DM based on the name, but this is solid Dismember worship.

That's a shame. But they have most of their songs on their youtube channel so I can at least listen on the computer.

Yes, Intestine Baalism is fucking amazing. Total Dismember/Iron Maiden worship. Anatomy Of The Beast is their best. Their second album Banquet In The Darkness is kinda stupid with all In Flames flower metal influence. Ultimate Instinct went back to their roots. Kinda wished they did more stuff :(

So.... uh...

less than 30 posts until the new OT

*twiddles horns*

We'll go all out for OT3 then! THAT should give us sufficient time to plan things out :p

I'm sure we could get a mod extension and let this thread run beyond 200 pages until we get a proper OP for the next thread figured out, but I don't even think we have anyone who has volunteered to make it... let alone enough organization and contributors for the original vision of an all-encompassing, badass new home that we can be proud to take forum shelter in for the next few years.

So.... uh...

*twiddles horns*

We'll go all out for OT3 then! THAT should give us sufficient time to plan things out :p

I'm sure we could get a mod extension and let this thread run beyond 200 pages until we get a proper OP for the next thread figured out, but I don't even think we have anyone who has volunteered to make it... let alone enough organization and contributors for the original vision of an all-encompassing, badass new home that we can be proud to take forum shelter in for the next few years.

All we truely need in an OP is this gif
headbang.gif

Dimefan3

Machine Head is one of those bands that I have tried with....really tried because they seem popular with some circles so why can't I get into them? I even saw them live once with Megadeth....and all I could do was laugh as the lead vocalist aped James Hetfield in all of his crowd interactions....like some of it was literally word for word. Nope....I lump Machine Head with R.E.M. and other bands that I just don't get.

Early Machine Head I can't get into, but their last 2 albums I love. They aren't for everyone.

Caladrius

I think it's time to barge into this thread at the last minute. Hello thar.

So.... uh...

What kind of stuff would we have in there?

Maybe a cliff notes version of metal history, a brief genre guide and the thread rules?

If I had more experience with the heavier genres I'd make it myself, but alas.

FACE

Banned
So.... uh...

*twiddles horns*

Still over a hundred posts to go.

RDreamer

I saw Deafheaven the other week before their BTBAM tour, man George is a hell of a frontman; he had the whole crowd mobbing at him like zombies the whole damn time, real crazy shit.

Yeah he had the crowd mobbing him a ton here, too. He was crowd surfing and screaming as he did it. That was cool. His hand movements at times were completely ridiculous though. The girl I was with described it as the black metal Macarena. Also he was wearing black gloves and a black button up shirt. It looked kind of funny altogether.

Still a helluva sound live.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So I was kinda disappointed by the Bongripper "song" on that Masters of Reality sampler, and decided to give the amazing Undersmile (who did the vocals on that song) a spin after some time. And holy shit, during that I discovered they did a split LP with their alter ego band Coma Wall sometime last year, and it's sooo goood. Undersmile do their thing, and do it great, but as Coma Wall, they play this Subrosa-style Acoustic Doom/Folk bastard, even have some Americana in there. Very cool.

Kaladin

Since we can't even decide on a thread title...how about this.

Give me three genre specific things that are discussed often in this thread and we'll do

The Metal Thread Part 2: Thread Of Blank, Blank and Blank

One can be an in joke.

I'll pick three and if everyone agrees with me doing it, new OT will go up tomorrow.

The post itself will just be the windmill Amon Amarth headbanging gif at the time of posting. If anyone wants to add some actual meat to it, we'll do that later on.

But we need to abandon thread soon. Doomsday is nigh.

It will look something like this:

headbang.gif

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Metal |OT2| I'm the Devil, I love Metal!

But blank, blank and blank is fine, too.

Edit: I feel that the title should mention tired sub-genre discussions somehow.

RayStorm

How about something like: Metal OT2: Too many Subgenres to fit into one thread/title/genre
Or expand the reach of the thread: Metal OT2: The hardest rocking thread in NeoGAF

In general I would however live a happier life if I never had to read an argument about whether a (sub)genrer is legitimate or not ever again.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Since we can't even decide on a thread title...how about this.

Give me three genre specific things that are discussed often in this thread and we'll do

One can be an in joke.

I'll pick three and if everyone agrees with me doing it, new OT will go up tomorrow.

The post itself will just be the windmill Amon Amarth headbanging gif at the time of posting. If anyone wants to add some actual meat to it, we'll do that later on.

But we need to abandon thread soon. Doomsday is nigh.

It will look something like this:

headbang.gif

ship don't sink til 20k posts breh. abandoning before that is cowardice. where's your budo spirit?

Cudder

Wow, haven't been keeping up with metal news lately but I just read Agalloch are planning to release their next album in May. I fucking loved Marrow of the Spirit, a perfect album to me in many ways.

Can anyone recommend something similar to them? Dark, slow, atmospheric, folk-y black metal?

Wow, haven't been keeping up with metal news lately but I just read Agalloch are planning to release their next album in May. I fucking loved Marrow of the Spirit, a perfect album to me in many ways.

Can anyone recommend something similar to them? Dark, slow, atmospheric, folk-y black metal?

I really, really recommend Negura Bunget. Romanian atmospheric black metal, with folk influences. Imo one of the masters of the genre, OM is their best album. Amazing atmosphere, dark and slightly unnerving at times. Very nicely varied in pace (arguably also 'progressive'), its has a nice production as well.

http://youtu.be/QmYLjQhQL3g

I also really like its predecessor 'N Crugu Bradului. Its a bit rawer than OM. I'm not too familiar with the early albums and post-OM of couple of members left. Their latest album from 2011 is also nice, but not as good as OM/N Crugu Bradului. If you want more Negura, you can check out Dordeduh as well. That band was formed by other members and imo they are better than the current Negura.

http://youtu.be/JZ-hayqRDOc

I do know something I really want to see in the OP for the new OT. A giant disclaimer that says:

DON'T JUST POST ALBUM COVERS YOU LAZY BASTARDS!

Seriously though, take a bit time to write a bit about it. What kind of metal it is, a link to a song is so helpful.

On another new OT related note, I have an idea about describing the different genres in the OP. I'll post it when I have a bit more time.

Cruz del Sur is becoming my favorite record label. The new Atlantean Kodex album is fucking great, the new Argus is almost as good and the just released Dark Forest album is also amazing.

dark-forest-the-awakening-promo-cover-pic-2014-300x300.jpg

Epic Metal blended with NWOBHM and Power Metal. Melancholic and uplifting at once.

Good shit! Really digging this so far.

Also, on the topic of Machine Head, Rob Flynn seems like such a colossal douchebag. That's probably completely unfair of me to say, but everything from his lyrics to his hilarious stint with Nu-Metal make me cringe.

So the idea I had for the new OT was that we could describe the different genres. Give a short overview of what a certain genre is about, along with some recommendations (both classics and newer material). Maybe its also fun to have a part where members recommend albums that might not be that big/influential etc, but that a certain member really likes.

For example, i have been thinking about black metal recs. What i got was first a rough division between the first wave (80s), second wave (late 80s to mid 90s) and 'modern', basically everything thats from after the second wave.

First wave
Too be honest no clue, expect for bathory - under the sign of the black mark, blood fire death & hammerheart

Second wave
Mayhem - De mysteriis...
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Burzum - Filosofem or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Ulver - Bergtatt
Disection - Storm of the Lights Bane
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam or Triarchy Of Lost Lovers

Imo this gives you a nice overview of the different styles during that era

Modern
Deathspell Omega - Si monumentum (for modern 'traditional' black metal) and Fas, Ite (for the progressive/tech deathy black metal)
Enslaved -Below the Lights
Summoning - Stronghold
Negura Bunget - Om ( folky atmospheric)
What to pick for depressive black metal? I'm partial to Shining
Same for the post-rock/shoegaze influenced bands.

Any input is much appreciated: do you like the idea with the description (I dont have it written down yet) and/or the recommendations? Does anyone want to tackle other genres? Any input on the recommendations I mentioned?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What is the inverted-crossiest logo? I swear I saw one a few weeks ago that had like 6 in it. It actually spurred this question, but I don't remember the band.

All I got for most now is Sarcofago with 3.

JKkBaLQ.jpg

There's a bunch with 2.

What is the inverted-crossiest logo? I swear I saw one a few weeks ago that had like 6 in it. It actually spurred this question, but I don't remember the band.

All I got for most now is Sarcofago with 3.

JKkBaLQ.jpg

There's a bunch with 2.

Sarcofago has the most everything, including spikes, bullets, leather, and hell:

sarcofago.jpg

Let's just put this in the OP and call it a day:

True Metal [troo met-l] noun - Metal that stays true to the original tenets of the genre. Metal that is about integrity and not getting your music video on MTV or Fuse. Metal that is about staying true to yourself and not following whatever is popular at the moment. Metal that is about the music and not the money. Metal that the makers have put effort and time into, not little effort righteous preaching and teen angst. Metal that you mosh to, not fight invisible ninjas to. Metal that stands the test of time because true metal will never die.

Nothing that ends in -core or starts with nu-

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend some good neo-classical metalcore stuff?
Sorry for the stupid pretentious sub-genre name but that's what I think it's called.

Stuff like the Human Abstract, Intervals etc...

thanks!

Oh, how embarrassing.

I used to agree with this but, the shit that is getting categorized as deathcore is really good. It's a lot closer to "death" than "core" and it's definitely mosh inducing brutality and not ninja stupidity. I guess they had to put it somewhere since it's not death as in Cannibal Corpse/Nile/Morbid Angel but, it's damn close to it. So, some idiot put a core at the end. Probably the same guy who came up with djent.

Oh, and here is my OT name for the pot...

The Metal Thread OT2. Bang your f#$%ing head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom