• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
In a fair world, 2014 is finally going to be the year of the best doom band there is, Thou. The new album Heathen is out there, it's fucking slaying AotY material, and they have so much more stuff coming up.
Most of their excellent back catalogue is available for free on their homepage, so do yourself a favour and check it out. There's a nice Sabotage cover somwhere in this video.

jmdajr

— The lead singer of Grammy-nominated metal band As I Lay Dying pleaded guilty Tuesday to trying to hire someone to kill his estranged wife.

Timothy Lambesis, 32, remains free on $2 million bond until he is sentenced May 2 on one count of solicitation of murder in Vista Superior Court, north of San Diego

:\

Except that Arsghoslent are nowhere as flowery as what "melodic death metal" suggests. They are fucking awesome though, regardless of their viewpoints. A band that can fucking write riffs.
I tend to separate melodic death metal (Arghoslent, Dismember, early At The Gates etc.) and melodef (later At The Gates and their clones).

I've been looking for a while of a band that has some similar writing style as Arghoslent besides Grand Belial's Key, but that doesn't really count. This is not that bad. Sounds like demo-era Arghoslent. Even the singer sounds similar.
I can't think of any band that sounds like Arghoslent, though some people refer to them as a death metal version of Running Wild, haha. Sacriphyx is good but not really that similiar.
Arghoslent did a split with a band called Stargazer, they might be to your liking even if they're not exactly like Arghoslent. I'm not usually into "technical" metal bands but Stargazer are really good and not wanky at all.

who likes Arckanum?

http://youtu.be/C_n9emaJ3KU?t=23m10s

that fuckin Nakjeptir riff, soo good

Kostogher is my favorite. Haven't bothered with anything after Antikosmos.

TnK

I can't think of any band that sounds like Arghoslent, though some people refer to them as a death metal version of Running Wild, haha. Sacriphyx is good but not really that similiar.
Arghoslent did a split with a band called Stargazer, they might be to your liking even if they're not exactly like Arghoslent. I'm not usually into "technical" metal bands but Stargazer are really good and not wanky at all.

StarGazer sounds good. I want to know one thing though, is it uncommon to have deep growl vocals? Every time I hear something that has death vocals, it is not too deep, and is somewhat on a higher pitch. Unless this is a completely different type of vocal sound that I am not too familiar with.

Watevaman

I tend to separate melodic death metal (Arghoslent, Dismember, early At The Gates etc.) and melodef (later At The Gates and their clones).

Kostogher is my favorite. Haven't bothered with anything after Antikosmos.

I have sviga lae (sp?) and peepeepeepeepeeeee and they aren't too bad. I think antikosmos is my favorite

edit: and out of curiosity I checked out his books on ebay. holy shit, hundreds of dollars for these things

FYC

Banned
3xo6rNN.jpg

Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation (Death Metal)

This album fucking rules. The Needle Drop Review is great, too.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love that Girardi artwork.

Edit: and I just ordered a new Conan album I had no idea was coming out. Wow.

Kaladin

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!1

“EYEHATEGOD New Album Masters – In Our Hands NOW!
Final Art Proofs Due Any Minute!
Savage Mutilation of the Human Race is Set on Course…!”

Their first full album since 2000.....I'm stoked.

Kaladin

Down IV Part Two - May 13, 2014

1939644_10152019763369426_926125467_n.jpg

01. Steeple
02. We Knew Him Well
03. Hogshead/Dogshead
04. Conjure
05. Sufferer’s Years
06. Bacchanalia

2014....the year of the sludge?

New Down, Eyehategod and Thou at least.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Metal |OT2| Listen to Thou!

Edit: I might actually get the Conan album tomorrow, the labels city is about an hour away from me, and they shipped it this morning. Excitement!

StarGazer sounds good. I want to know one thing though, is it uncommon to have deep growl vocals? Every time I hear something that has death vocals, it is not too deep, and is somewhat on a higher pitch. Unless this is a completely different type of vocal sound that I am not too familiar with.

I don't think they're that uncommon among old-school and old-school sounding bands, but I guess that depends on where you draw the line between deep and not-deep. And of course practically all of the shitty modern brutal/slam/techwankery bands use them.

Dimefan3

If you get the chance, check out Lamb Of God's movie, 'As The Palaces Burn'. Australia got it in cinemas last night, not sure about the rest of the world...

Great film, starts off as a great 'about the fans' film that dramatically changes gears when Randy got arrested in Prague. Even of you're not a LOG fan, you'll gain some respect for Randy from what he goes through, as he gets sent home and then is actually brave enough to go back for his trial. I think most of us in that spot would've just stayed home.

And even though you already know the verdict, you're still on the edge of your seat for the trial bit. Was really interesting to see how Randy takes a really responsible approach, and really cool to see how he's sobered up and got his shit together. The band seemed to to be just as concerned about one of their fans being killed, as well as what happens to Randy.

choodi

Banned
1796588_515553495230411_2050600409_n.jpg

This is going to be loud.

Dude, earplugs. Please.

I know it's not very 'metal' but seriously, take it from someone who never looked after his hearing. Tinitis is fucked.

Standing three feet from a crash cymbal in a dingy practice room, going to shows and never wearing ear plugs, never wearing hearing protection while shooting guns.

All of these things are bad for you and you will regret them later in life.

Trust me.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
+1 to that.

I just got it like a week ago. I think the Amon Amarth show was the tipping point, but it didn't develop until a couple weeks after that happened. It's horrible and I'm hoping it eventually goes away, but somehow I doubt it. Fortunately I don't really notice it if my mind is really occupied playing a game or whatever.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Aww yiss
img_20140228_080904dpl7k.jpg

...and to think 30 hours ago I had no idea Blood Eagle even existed. Hail Conan!

TnK

I don't think they're that uncommon among old-school and old-school sounding bands, but I guess that depends on where you draw the line between deep and not-deep. And of course practically all of the shitty modern brutal/slam/techwankery bands use them.

Well, for me, deep would be something like Artificial Brain that was posted just now, and I somehow lean more towards this style of death vocals. I do have to say that I also like Chuck's style in Death as well.

Kaladin

Dude, earplugs. Please.

I know it's not very 'metal' but seriously, take it from someone who never looked after his hearing. Tinitis is fucked.

Standing three feet from a crash cymbal in a dingy practice room, going to shows and never wearing ear plugs, never wearing hearing protection while shooting guns.

All of these things are bad for you and you will regret them later in life.

Trust me.

They actually had earbuds available if you needed them, and I got a set last night. I never use them myself, and that was insanely loud. Probably one of the louder shows I have been to.

Aske

Any recommendations for someone whose ears are already shot from too many unprotected shows, but who doesn't yet have tinnitus and wants to avoid it?

I tried a popular set of musicians' earplugs, but just pulled them out after a couple of songs because it sounded like the band was playing through a pillow. Tried the same set with a less aggressive sound cancelling tube (they came with two types blocking different decibel levels), but they were still no good: can't hear the music with them in.

I find myself being really selective about the shows I go to now. I lucked out by avoiding tinnitus. I don't want to stop going to see bands, but my hearing's too screwed to use conventional plugs. Wondering if there's a set out there for guys like me.

Cruz del Sur is becoming my favorite record label. The new Atlantean Kodex album is fucking great, the new Argus is almost as good and the just released Dark Forest album is also amazing.

dark-forest-the-awakening-promo-cover-pic-2014-300x300.jpg

Epic Metal blended with NWOBHM and Power Metal. Melancholic and uplifting at once.

Kwixotik

So I just started into doom/drone metal... I started with Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus and moved to Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium and then Boris' Pink. Then to Sunn O)))'s Black One, which I am currently in the middle of.

Did NOT know what I was getting myself into with Sunn O))).

Kaladin

So I just started into doom/drone metal... I started with Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus and moved to Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium and then Boris' Pink. Then to Sunn O)))'s Black One, which I am currently in the middle of.

Sunn O))) is...an acquired taste. Give Earth a shot.

Great start so far. Perfect almost.
Sunn O))) is definitely an acquired taste, more so an experience. Listening to it on a high quality stereo system will bring out the extreme low ends.

I have yet to experience them live and I'm not sure if i can take it.

Winter - Into Darkness is a good band to check out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom