• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So Yob will open for Tool on March 4th, 6th, and the 7th. Dayum.

And I like Sunn O))).

Watevaman

I need to get into more doom, specifically stoner doom. I've got the typical EW, Sleep, Conan but I never really looked into more stuff.

skeebs

I've been reading some past Ask Earache blog posts and it got me interested enough to go back and revisit or visit some albums for the first time.

What I've discovered:
I love Cathedral
Iron Monkey is every bit as heavy as I remember them to be
Napalm Death isn't really my thing except for Diatribes, which people seem to hate

Stoner/doom fans, check out the first two if you've not already.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I need to get into more doom, specifically stoner doom. I've got the typical EW, Sleep, Conan but I never really looked into more stuff.
Well, since I just mentioned them (and I'm an annoying Mike Scheidt fanboy), give Yob a spin. To be precise, try their 2009 "comeback" The Great Cessation. That one got a discounted CD rerelease on Profound Lore recently.
Their 2003 record Catharsis is on PLs bandcamp at the moment.
That one got a not so discounted vinyl rerelease on Relapse recently :(

Jordoon

Gv5YwYZ.jpg

New Intervals album out today: A Voice Within. Their first with a vocalist. Anyone listen to them?

blahness

Those in the DC/Baltimore area: Eyehategod/High on Fire/Magrudergrind + more to be announced, April 27th at the Ottobar in Baltimore. Tickets go on sale this Friday. This is going to be nuts! This is a one off east coast appearance for EHG.

rObit

Banned
Gv5YwYZ.jpg

New Intervals album out today: A Voice Within. Their first with a vocalist. Anyone listen to them?

Yep. Been listening to each single as they've been putting them out daily. I can't tell how I feel about the vocals yet. They sound good, but I feel like they had to back off the riffs to make room for the vocals. It's gonna take awhile for me to decide whether that was worth it or not.

On another note, the new Architects album is streaming on Youtube. I've never been hugely into them, but I'm really digging this one so far.

2 months without internet. What releases did I miss out on? At least I saw a couple of awesome metal gigs.

Also; friends' band just dropped their debut LP. Pretty cool black n roll
shameless plug

fallout

Do certain bands remind you of being a particular age?

For example, whenever I go on a Maiden kick, I feel like I'm 16 again. It was around that time where I went through this phase where all I ever listened to was Maiden and it takes me back. Few bands have this effect on me, but I was curious if anyone else gets that feeling.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The CVLT Nation Sessions:
BLACK SABBATH Master of Reality

To close out our third anniversary week, CVLT Nation is proud to present the second covers compilation in our series The CVLT Nation Sessions: BLACK SABBATH’s seminal album Master of Reality, mastered by Black Matter Mastering in Nashville, TN.. Master of Reality: The CVLT Nation Sessions is up for exclusive streaming and free download here, and features Graves At Sea, Usnea, Primitive Man, Rorcal, Bongripper, Albino Python and Cult of Occult all doing their take on these doom classics!
http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-sessions-black-sabbath-master-reality/

Sweet Leaf – Primitive Man
After Forever – Rorcal
Children Of the Grave – Cult of Occult
The Haunting – Bongripper (Hel and Taz from Undersmile on Vocals)
Orchid – Graves At Sea
Lord Of This World – Graves At Sea
Solitude – Albino Python
Into The Void – Usnea

fffffffuuuuuuuuuu---

TnK

Nvm, apparently the blackening is bad.

Recommendation on great bands? When I say great, I mean the best of the best, the cream of the crop. Bands that have flawless albums, in which every track can stand on its own.

Nopren

The Blackening is fucking brilliant! Sure, if you don't like the genre in general, I can't really see how this would change your mind, but it is a goddamn masterpiece.

RDreamer

Just saw Between the Buried and Me, and they were ridiculously good.

Deafheaven opened and they were amazing, too, but I can't convince myself they're not an elaborate social experiment. Their singer is ridiculous.

Flynn

http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-sessions-black-sabbath-master-reality/

Sweet Leaf – Primitive Man
After Forever – Rorcal
Children Of the Grave – Cult of Occult
Orchid – Graves At Sea
Lord Of This World – Graves At Sea
Solitude – Albino Python
Into The Void – Usnea

fffffffuuuuuuuuuu---

That Children of the Grave was killer.

Just saw Between the Buried and Me, and they were ridiculously good.

Deafheaven opened and they were amazing, too, but I can't convince myself they're not an elaborate social experiment. Their singer is ridiculous.

I saw Deafheaven the other week before their BTBAM tour, man George is a hell of a frontman; he had the whole crowd mobbing at him like zombies the whole damn time, real crazy shit.

Recommendation on great bands? When I say great, I mean the best of the best, the cream of the crop. Bands that have flawless albums, in which every track can stand on its own.

Swedish death metal/guitar tone bible. One of the biggest breakout bands that put Stockholm, Sweden and Scandinavian countries on the map.
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Entombed - Clandestine

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Ancient Dreams, Nightfall, and Tales of Creation are pretty much required listening if you like Sabbath/Doom type stuff.

Godflesh - Streetcleaner. Punishing, brooding, industrial/metal.

I can go on and on...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

A few flawless albums in various styles:

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break the Oath
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Bolt Thrower - War Master
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Ancient Rites - Fatherland, Dim Carcosa, Rubicon
Artillery - By Inheritance
Deströyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves, Phoenix Rising
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Melechesh - Emissaries
Metal Church - Metal Church
Overkill - Feel the Fire, The Years of Decay, Horrorscope
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam, Thy Mighty Contract
Skyclad - The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea, Vintage Whine, Jonah's Ark
Summoning - Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Luciferion - Demonication (The Manifest)

one of the best kept secrets in US power metal, Matthias Steele. epic stuff, great King Diamond-style vocals. absolute hidden gem, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvA0IXyFLhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOligRVfI74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWbcO3SXBg
That's... pretty good! The KD-like falsetto is kind of bad, though, but those are some kick-ass riffs. Thanks for the rec. Is that album only available on tape?

TnK

The Blackening is fucking brilliant! Sure, if you don't like the genre in general, I can't really see how this would change your mind, but it is a goddamn masterpiece.
I love thrash, but the reviews on encyclopedia metallum tell me to steer away from the album. Haven't heard the album though.
Swedish death metal/guitar tone bible. One of the biggest breakout bands that put Stockholm, Sweden and Scandinavian countries on the map.
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Entombed - Clandestine

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Ancient Dreams, Nightfall, and Tales of Creation are pretty much required listening if you like Sabbath/Doom type stuff.

Godflesh - Streetcleaner. Punishing, brooding, industrial/metal.

I can go on and on...
Entombed has some really kick ass guitar work going on. Not a huge fan of the vocals though. Will listen to the others later.
A few flawless albums in various styles:

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break the Oath
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Bolt Thrower - War Master
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Ancient Rites - Fatherland, Dim Carcosa, Rubicon
Artillery - By Inheritance
Deströyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves, Phoenix Rising
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Melechesh - Emissaries
Metal Church - Metal Church
Overkill - Feel the Fire, The Years of Decay, Horrorscope
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam, Thy Mighty Contract
Skyclad - The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea, Vintage Whine, Jonah's Ark
Summoning - Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Luciferion - Demonication (The Manifest)

That's... pretty good! The KD-like falsetto is kind of bad, though, but those are some kick-ass riffs. Thanks for the rec. Is that album only available on tape?

From that entire list, I only listened to Metal Church before, and it is awesome. Thanks for the list.

ZMangz

Neo Member
Machine Head in general, yay or nay? Thinking about getting the blackening.

yay. the blackening and locust are two of the best groove/thrash albums out there, and even their work prior to that is pretty good. i have a soft spot for robb flynn's rapping :p. i saw them at mayhem fest last year and they put on a hell of a show.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Machine Head sucks, so unless you're into nu-groove stuff a lot I wouldn't bother. For thrash masterpieces you can't go wrong with Bonded by Blood (the original recording, not the re-recording), as well as Testament - The Legacy and the Overkill albums I mentioned above. :) The Artillery one is among my favourites, too.

Agree about Machine Head. Can't stand that band.

Any who, I need some help with recommendations again. Can anybody here direct me to some great old School (or new school) Speed Metal albums? I've been trying to find some genuine Speed Metal albums, but since Speed and Thrash are often lumped in with each other, it's been a pain in the ass trying to find ACTUAL 100 percent Speed Metal. If they count, I'm already familiar with Motorhead, Priest's Painkiller, and Helloween's Wall of Jericho, though.

EDIT: Oh! To anyone who hasn't heard it yet, I'll echo this notion: Eternal Nightmare is a masterpiece of Thrash.

Machine Head sucks, so unless you're into nu-groove stuff a lot I wouldn't bother. For thrash masterpieces you can't go wrong with Bonded by Blood (the original recording, not the re-recording), as well as Testament - The Legacy and the Overkill albums I mentioned above. :) The Artillery one is among my favourites, too.

I'll add:

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

I'd always lump Assassin's Interstellar Experience and Artillery's By Inheritance too.

Any who, I need some help with recommendations again. Can anybody here direct me to some great old School (or new school) Speed Metal albums? I've been trying to find some genuine Speed Metal albums, but since Speed and Thrash are often lumped in with each other, it's been a pain in the ass trying to find ACTUAL 100 percent Speed Metal. If they count, I'm already familiar with Motorhead, Priest's Painkiller, and Helloween's Wall of Jericho, though.

EDIT: Oh! To anyone who hasn't heard it yet, I'll echo this notion: Eternal Nightmare is a masterpiece of Thrash.

Blind Guardian speed metal days.
• Battalions Of Fear
• Follow The Blind
• Tokyo Tales (live album)

Angel Dust - Into The Dark Past

Enforcer
• Into The Night
• Diamonds
• Death By Fire

Cranium
• Speed Metal Slaughter
• Speed Metal Sentence

Kaladin

Machine Head is one of those bands that I have tried with....really tried because they seem popular with some circles so why can't I get into them? I even saw them live once with Megadeth....and all I could do was laugh as the lead vocalist aped James Hetfield in all of his crowd interactions....like some of it was literally word for word. Nope....I lump Machine Head with R.E.M. and other bands that I just don't get.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Oh hell yes. I never heard the Assassin album though, gonna have to check it out.

Have you tried Agent Steel? Can't go wrong with Unstoppable Force and Order of the Illuminati.
I'm assuming you're already familiar with Running Wild. If not, you can fix this grievous lack by checking out Death or Glory, Pile of Skulls or Black Hand Inn. :)
Killers (France) is another good one. Contre-Courant, Habemus Metal or À L'ombre des vautours are very good, though the latter could be just a bit shorter (79 min is too long for a speed metal album IMO) so I'd recommend the other two first.

Then there's Riot, Vulcain (French Motörhead clone), Grave Digger, Gamma Ray, Sortilège, Metalucifer... but I think you should start with those above first. ^^

Have you tried Agent Steel? Can't go wrong with Unstoppable Force and Order of the Illuminati.
I'm assuming you're already familiar with Running Wild. If not, you can fix this grievous lack by checking out Death or Glory, Pile of Skulls or Black Hand Inn. :)
Killers (France) is another good one. Contre-Courant, Habemus Metal or À L'ombre des vautours are very good, though the latter could be just a bit shorter (79 min is too long for a speed metal album IMO) so I'd recommend the other two first.

Then there's Riot, Vulcain (French Motörhead clone), Grave Digger, Gamma Ray, Sortilège, Metalucifer... but I think you should start with those above first. ^^

Yeah, Running Wild has been on my list for a little while (at least to listen to), although I haven't heard of the others. I also forgot to mention Exciter if they count.

Regardless, I'll check those albums out, and those groups. Thanks for the recs, should be good. Just want some energetic, off the wall Speed Metal.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see Giant Robot's edited post. Cool recommendations as well, I'll check them out.

First few Manowar albums and first few Blind Guardian albums

definitely check out Cranium then. Posted above. It's head splitting, off the wall, and over the top silly.

Yeah, I re-edited it to acknowledge I got your recommendations. Sounds good, I'll check them out.

EDIT: Wait, the vocalist on Speed Metal Sentence sounds a tad bit like .Bobby Ellsworth.

First few Manowar albums and first few Blind Guardian albums

Wait, Manowar did Speed Metal? Huh...

I skipped the two allegedly-nu-metal albums when getting into machinehead. I feel like I have an entirely different perception of the band from the rest of the world because of it.....

Regardless, I look forward to checking out some of the deluge of recommendations being thrown around on this page.

FACE

Banned

Running Wild - Everything up to Masquerade.
Kruiz - S/T
Iron Savior - S/T and Unification
Liege Lord - Master Control
Riot - Thundersteel
Scanner - Hypetrace

Machine Head in general, yay or nay? Thinking about getting the blackening.

Nay, Machine Head is fucking garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom