• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metroid Other M Drinking Game

Mivey

Jesus she really says 'baby' in every second sentence. And what us wrong with the voice actor, is she on xanax?
"But that's only the intro! The rest of the game is essentially a Shakespearian masterpiece." is what I would say if I'd belong to the Other M defense force.

Just started playing this last week but put it down cause of e3.

Now... I don't know anything about metroid or its lore but.... MANNNN this writing is AWFUL. "Baby... baby.... baby.... the baby...." geeze seriously. All in a monotone voice no less. Then the thumbs down and pouty head turn... "because I'm a woman." I almost just committed to not playing it in general.

Gameplay is fun enough but what the heck is this game outside of all of that.

Now... I don't know anything about metroid or its lore but.... MANNNN this writing is AWFUL. "Baby... baby.... baby.... the baby...." geeze seriously. All in a monotone voice no less. Then the thumbs down and pouty head turn... "because I'm a woman." I almost just committed to not playing it in general.

I don't hate Other M, but it was not a good idea to have it be your introduction to the series.

tbd

I see Other M as an experimental game that was partially outsourced. No one should have expected a game as good as Metroid Prime. Some people act like Nintendo's idea was to replace Prime with it when it was nothing but filler, same as Hyrule Warriors. The hate is so overblown and unproportional, it just makes no sense. Even if the game was the worst shit in the world, it would make more sense to just ignore it and move on since it received mostly neutral or negative press and didn't sell well at all. Nintendo got the message.

I don't see the point in making witty images, Youtube videos, gifs or making fun of people that enjoyed the game to further prove how bad this game is. That oppressive behaviour is kinda sickening. It's like people won't stop shitting on this game until everyone in this world agrees it's bad which will never happen. Doesn't help that 40 % the complaint is overblown. Yes, she repeadetly says "baby", it's simple repetition used as a rhetorical device to ensure emphasis. If you don't like it, fine, it's still far from as bad as people make it out to be. It's the first time Samus talks throughout an entire game and they had fun with it and actually came up with an idea. I enjoyed it, didn't take it too seriously and just found it funny how Samus suddenly can't stop talking. Moaning about an invisible wall in a rather linear low budget game is also just weird. You try to reach that item, you can't, you move on. It sucks but it's far from breaking the game since it doesn't focus on exploration that much anyway. All they had to do to prevent this is raising that platform with the item a little bit, it's such a minor thing. Haven't seen anyone making a video about Fallout New Vegas just to shit on its invisible walls which actually are annoying.
The hate is (after all this time) still insufferable and childish,

Not a fan of the game myself but it's at least enjoyable if you see it as what it is and don't ignore the positive things. There is so much fanservice going on, young Samus looks great, it's kinda funny just hearing Samus talking, whatever she actually says, the graphics were great with the clean look and the gameplay is absolutely serviceable. But again, this isn't even a question of quality, the hate this game gets is just out of proportion in any way, even if the game was the worst shit ever made.

It's also quite sad since I believe a successor could actually be good and I would prefer it a hundred times over no Metroid or this game for the 3DS.

r3op0109.png

Pretty sweet in my book. Nightmare and
Phantoon
looked amazing as well, and the fights were fun.

Overside

Banned

Generally metroid doesnt have writing, the story was the event to event happenings the player experiences, the plot was nothing more than a vehicle to start the game, and then dissapeared.

The lore was discovered by the player, through observing the game world, and through scanning artifacts later in prime.

The trouble started with fusion, and got worse and worse with each subsequent release, with more of the garbage writing controlling the game and events, and less and less the signature level design and progression, until it culminated in the natural progression of everything thats been going wrong with the series, being the primary focus of design.... That, was Other M. (Classic series, Prime series is a story for another time)

I was under the impression Other M was meant to be a prequel to Fusion and you were meant to see it as a proper sequel that bridged Super into Fusion rather than an experimental offshoot.

I mean, Nintendo obviously is going to avoid having Other M come up much if at all if it ever talks about Metroid's over-arching plot now, but at the time the intention was probably it was effectively "Metroid 5".

Mak

Metroid: Other M was co-developed with Team Ninja at Tecmo-Koei. Yoshio Sakamoto (Nintendo SPD1) directed, produced, and wrote the story, Yosuke Hayashi directed (Team Ninja), Ryuzi Kitaura (D-Rockets) directed cinematics, Takayasu Morisawa (Nintendo SPD1 - Metroid Zero Mission Art Director) was Art Director, and Takehiko Hosokawa (Nintendo SPD1 - Game/Level Design for Fusion & Zero Mission) directed.

Iwata Asks Metroid: Other M - http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/metroid-other-m/1/2
The Challenge of Project M - https://youtu.be/DHPZSrG4AXY
E3 2010 Interview - Yoshio Sakamoto - https://youtu.be/tdXNyBHAv1s

Metroid: Other M isn't the first time Nintendo worked with another company on Metroid, they've been doing that since the first Metroid.

Metroid on the NES was designed by Nintendo R&D1 and programmed by Intelligent Systems, and Super Metroid on the SNES had Intelligent Systems programmers working directly on the team. Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission were in-house by R&D1, while Metroid Prime was developed by Retro Studios and produced by Nintendo (Kensuke Tanabe). Metroid Prime Hunters was NST and producer Kensuke Tanabe.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132721/the_elegance_of_metroid_yoshio_.php
http://www.metroid-database.com/m1/fds-interview-p4.php

When I beat Other M, I didn't feel like it was Metroid 5 but it wasn't a spin off either, like something unique inbetween building the structure for Metroid 5. (Then after the credits I saw why it ended like it did and was satisfied with the additional exploring, final boss, and escape sequence). There was also Zero Mission before Other M which is a remake but its really a new game based on the structure of the original Metroid.

Other M is basically "Metroid 3.5". It was also setting up the story for events after Metroid Fusion. http://content.usatoday.com/communi...her-m-director-yoshio-sakamoto/1#.VYW5z_lVhBd

Metroid: Other M interview - 1up.com June 2009
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3174587&p=
1UP: So is this being positioned as a spinoff game? Or is it really the next game in the series -- Metroid 5?

YS: It's part of the flow, storywise, between Super Metroid and Fusion.

1UP: The Metroid series chronology has become pretty long and complicated with the Prime games and the games you've created directly. Are you taking into account all the titles that have come before, or are you sticking to the story that you, as R&D1, have developed?

YS: Actually, the Prime games are just one incident within the greater story that I've worked on personally. It's not as if I was really thinking about how the Prime games fit into the sequence because, they were just one incident. But Other M will be more part of the R&D1 produced games. Maybe in "grand scheme" it would be around...3.5.

Top Bottom